Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

We Know Catheters posted:

Children aren't slaves

Children should do chores. If they don't, they tend to end up gigantic shitheads later in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SatansOnion posted:

Prepare your butts for my blistering hot take on teens and attention-seeking:

Vanishingly few young people care to risk a beating every time they leave the house because they've changed their appearance to suit the gender with which they most comfortably identify, in my (admittedly not comprehensive) experience. In brief, trans-pa, if this were a cry for attention it'd be a face tattoo, or nose piercings, or a Che tee shirt, or a bloated suitor twenty years their senior wearing a faded Tasmanian-Devil-in-a-backwards-cap tee and jean shorts. I'm of the belief that you ought to count your blessings that you have a somewhat delicate (what teenager isn't?) but otherwise healthy trans daughter; instead of, say, a cisgender son who thought meth was the ideal way to stick it to Dad

Seconding this. If a kid is making a cry for attention they're blasting lovely music, not telling everyone "hey I am a part of the only group in America that it's still seen as somewhat defensible to murder"

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Colonel Cancer posted:

Children should do chores. If they don't, they tend to end up gigantic shitheads later in life.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

The concept of a teenager doing something for attention so is completely unrealistic that it's not even worth considering. Nope, that's just not a thing that ever happens. You see, I read 2 paragraphs of words on the internet, and I can tell you I am 99% sure of what's going on in your situation.

All of this poo poo in an hour? You sure you're not maybe projecting a little bit?

ummm no . I'm good to go on that front. the middle 2 posts are how i imagined bigoted southern folks beating their children though, sorry if it was too real for you. The last post, well gently caress that guy ok.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Seconding this. If a kid is making a cry for attention they're blasting lovely music, not telling everyone "hey I am a part of the only group in America that it's still seen as somewhat defensible to murder"

She's not claiming to be black though?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

TBH fam I did it all the time as a teen pretend to be trans for attention at least once a week worked every time

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Viva Miriya posted:

the middle 2 posts are how i imagined bigoted southern folks beating their children though, sorry if it was too real for you.

With my ex it involved breaking her fingers whenever she painted her nails, plus occasionally burning all her clothing and forcibly shaving her head

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

With my ex it involved breaking her fingers whenever she painted her nails, plus occasionally burning all her clothing and forcibly shaving her head

holy poo poo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I knew a guy that claimed he was a trans gay woman, then a bi woman, then a gay woman again, then a straight woman, then reidentified as his birth gender and straight again, then a gay guy, then killed himself in like 2000. Think all that happened in a span of like one and a half years. I wasn't good friends with him or anything, but it was certainly a rollercoaster ride for the few people that still cared about him after all that poo poo. Dude had troubles.

I had actually forgot about him until I hung out with some old friends I haven't seen in almost 14 years this last weekend.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

TBH fam I did it all the time as a teen pretend to be trans for attention at least once a week worked every time

did you automatically win playing gay chicken

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Viva Miriya posted:

holy poo poo

It's okay, I'm sure she was just pretending to be trans for attention

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Viva Miriya posted:

oh hey hello, didn't see you there. you should have been a third trimester abortion. hth with your incessant need for attention.
Oh hey, nice to see you too.

Looks like this time around the pro-trans "there's nothing wrong with him, it's your fault he burst into tears mowing the lawn!" crowd has competition. Idk where all these peeps acting rationally came from all of a sudden.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Runaktla posted:

I AM A GROSS ATTENTION SEEKING oval office

:getout:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Just to clarify. Do you think children should not do any chores?

And/or do you think chores have no relevance to being a shithead?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

counterfeitsaint posted:

The concept of a teenager doing something for attention so is completely unrealistic that it's not even worth considering. Nope, that's just not a thing that ever happens. You see, I read 2 paragraphs of words on the internet, and I can tell you I am 99% sure of what's going on in your situation.
Most teenagers aren't going to do something for attention that's got a decent probability to get them literally lynched in their area. If this were in a super liberal area, it's possible that a teenager might experiment with their gender presentation for nothing more than attention, both positive and negative attention. Being openly trans in extremely conservative, fundamentally religious areas of the USA is an entirely different prospect, and tends to be a pretty hellish experience that people pretty much put themselves through only because the psychological damage from being in the closet is worse.

Furthermore, if his child is doing this for attention, so what? What message is he sending by reacting in this manner? 'My love for you is something that is extremely contingent on you fitting into social norms, even though your current breaking of these social norms would be harmless if people would chill the gently caress out?' Even if someone is 'going through a phase', being supportive is a lot more beneficial than lashing out.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
boner dad is disgusted because of his reaction to his kid

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Anyway my Hot Take is that when a parent complaining about their child bursting into tears of despair at the (legitimately generous) offer of $60 to do a basic lawn maintenance chore, and then somehow this morphs into complaining that their child is a useless, spineless, horrible piece of poo poo that needs to man the gently caress up, perhaps the parent has contributed to tearing down their kid's self-esteem to the point that the kid bursts into tears at reasonable requests, or perhaps the parent is leaving out essential details, because holy poo poo that's a lot of contempt for your own kid completely unrelated to the chore thing.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

lawns are bullshit anyway. much like his parenting

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

transdad should deposit that money at the International Bank of Love and instead write out a check of Emotional Support and Caring Guidance, payable to: his child

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

PetraCore posted:

Anyway my Hot Take is that when a parent complaining about their child bursting into tears of despair at the (legitimately generous) offer of $60 to do a basic lawn maintenance chore, and then somehow this morphs into complaining that their child is a useless, spineless, horrible piece of poo poo that needs to man the gently caress up, perhaps the parent has contributed to tearing down their kid's self-esteem to the point that the kid bursts into tears at reasonable requests, or perhaps the parent is leaving out essential details, because holy poo poo that's a lot of contempt for your own kid completely unrelated to the chore thing.

Or it's a troll.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Or it's a troll.

Nah, goons are disgusting enough pieces of poo poo for that to definitely be real.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

tangy yet delightful posted:

Just to clarify. Do you think children should not do any chores?

And/or do you think chores have no relevance to being a shithead?

No

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chores teach kids a work ethic. Also make you not useless when you own a home.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Hey it's me spooky trans teen, I haunt ur house and refuse to wash dishes I'll plant dandelions on ur lawn

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

Hey it's me spooky trans teen, I haunt ur house and refuse to wash dishes I'll plant dandelions on ur lawn

Stay safe trans teen ghost.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

sugar free jazz posted:

Gonna get my ghost belt and beat you till the sun comes up.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Stay safe trans teen ghost.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Anyone who says that telling your teenaged child to mow the lawn is literally the same as slavery should be banished to the great race space for a month.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Anyone who says that telling your teenaged child to mow the lawn is literally the same as slavery should be banished to the great race space for a month.

Anyone who actually said that is a retard but its been a long posting day. Gonna need you to quote some posts retarded GBS poster.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Children aren't slaves

Though, to be fair, pretty sure it's a joke.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Viva Miriya posted:

Nah, goons are disgusting enough pieces of poo poo for that to definitely be real.

I don't doubt that any are that disgusting, I'm just skeptical that any are dumb enough to have expected this thread to give them a different response and help them feel less disgusting.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Colonel Cancer posted:

oh my god this. If you don't have at least some minimal idea about how much work it takes to actually do basic living functions you'll end up on future-reddit making threads about your unreasonable evil bitchy SO

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
seriously look at the "r/elationships: (ape noise)" thread

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
the last thing in r/relationships thread rn is about this guy's wife who's a junkie and he's thinking about moving back in because they have incredible sex

so.... poo poo's variegated

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

SniperWoreConverse posted:

oh my god this. If you don't have at least some minimal idea about how much work it takes to actually do basic living functions you'll end up on future-reddit making threads about your unreasonable evil bitchy SO
Yeah like you should keep in mind your kid's specific limitations but it's definitely a good thing to know how to do basic household tasks, and that's part of what having your kids do chores is FOR, ideally.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PetraCore posted:

Yeah like you should keep in mind your kid's specific limitations but it's definitely a good thing to know how to do basic household tasks, and that's part of what having your kids do chores is FOR, ideally.

Pretty sure the only people who equate chores with slavery are literal children who still have to do chores.

And even then its a particularly spoiled type who have mommy doing 99% of the work for them.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Trans dad is more tolerable than most of the responses.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

Is this a suicide joke? If so it's in poor taste imo

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

RFC2324 posted:

Pretty sure the only people who equate chores with slavery are literal children who still have to do chores.

And even then its a particularly spoiled type who have mommy doing 99% of the work for them.

tesilential posted:

Trans dad is more tolerable than most of the responses.

jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

seriously look at the "r/elationships: (ape noise)" thread

hey don't you gently caress kids? gently caress outta here chomo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)