Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fil5000 posted:

I really want him to stop pursing his lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

It's the motion that's distressing more than the end result.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Old Boot posted:

I may have mainlined the SSLP for this (and briefly watched Yahtzee's own LP series). Is it still worth playing to get the ~experience~?

It's a pretty good experience, would recommend it if you watched the LPs ages ago or something.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Fil5000 posted:

I'm an hour or two into Until Dawn (still one of this month's free PSN games) and it's still setting up the actual horror part of the game. I'm enjoying it so far, because it feels like a classic slasher film set up complete with establishing exactly how horny each of these teens is. The facial animation is real deep in the uncanny valley though. Peter Stormare's weird facial tics look even weirder un CGI, and I really want him to stop pursing his lips.

There's a few compilation videos on Youtube of the facial animations from the game and they really are amazing.

A near perfect combination of how close-to-life the models look along with realistic mannerisms and minor facial ticks.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I'm still wondering if you can make a game about intentionally pushing Uncanny Valley with I guess really too real graphics or channeling early Pixar/ Spirits Within to make an engine that is scary even without the setting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crabtree posted:

I'm still wondering if you can make a game about intentionally pushing Uncanny Valley with I guess really too real graphics or channeling early Pixar/ Spirits Within to make an engine that is scary even without the setting.

Happened ten years ago with LA Noire. Also the reason the mannerisms of Stormare are captured so well is because they're fully mo-capped :shrug:.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

He's a kissy boy! :3:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite joke to come out of Until Dawn is the fan theory that no one told Peter Stormare what emotions he should be portraying in any given scene, so he just decided to do all of them at once.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 25, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Marshal Radisic posted:

My favorite joke to come out of Until Dawn is the fan theory that no told Peter Stormare what emotions he should be portraying in any given scene, so he just decided to do all of them at once.

I'm a bit further in now but I'm pretty sure it's just Peter Stormare being Peter Stormare. His character seems to be intended to be generally and non specifically upsetting so it works.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Trilby's Notes is a really good game, definitely the best in the series, if only because it did a really good job with making me feel more and more comfortable with the silent hill hellscape while at the same time making me way way way less comfortable with the real world. At the start, I was taking the pills every screen except when I needed to use the alternate world to progress, but by the end, the hallucinations scared me more than the alt world did and I avoided taking the pills as often as I could.

5 Days A Stranger is interesting, though I'd say it is at most inoffensive. 7 Days A Skeptic has some real good atmosphere but it also has some plotholes and that ending is just dreadful. 6 Days A Sacrifice gets a lot of points for managing to take 7 Days A Skeptic and make it interesting retroactively, though that random out-of-nowhere sex scene was just like "wtf" and so I've gotta dock it for that because seriously, what the hell lol

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 25, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Happened ten years ago with LA Noire. Also the reason the mannerisms of Stormare are captured so well is because they're fully mo-capped :shrug:.

Yeah, I'm just wondering if you can intentionally do that with horror or if trying to have your cake and be frightened by it too would backfire. I guess this is best seen in the Freddy games as the animatronics themselves are so goofy they can be seen as creepy to people, but that bet can backfire if you're immune to jump scares and just laugh at what they're trying to do. Guy made an unintentionally creepy kid game and made a horror franchise that hits or misses depending on if the gamble works.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm about 2 hours through Get Even and it feels like I'm roughly halfway through the game. It's only $30, so I don't feel like I've been robbed or anything.

The best thing I can compare it to is a cross between FEAR and Condemned.
Awesome! Those are two favorites, so I'll be sure to get it next sale.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, I'm just wondering if you can intentionally do that with horror or if trying to have your cake and be frightened by it too would backfire. I guess this is best seen in the Freddy games as the animatronics themselves are so goofy they can be seen as creepy to people, but that bet can backfire if you're immune to jump scares and just laugh at what they're trying to do. Guy made an unintentionally creepy kid game and made a horror franchise that hits or misses depending on if the gamble works.

Animatronic humans would be perfect to try that with though. Like fully 3D-modeled in a fully-rendered world with full freedom of movement. And make them animated the way animatronics are now, with little wire rods underneath rubber skin that contort the faces in weird and creepy ways. But the rubber skin has a ton of ultra-realistic detail like individual hairs and "pores" and all that.

Or have them animated like normal mocapped faces but then something "breaks" and you get weird unnatural facial tics when they go hostile.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

Animatronic humans would be perfect to try that with though. Like fully 3D-modeled in a fully-rendered world with full freedom of movement. And make them animated the way animatronics are now, with little wire rods underneath rubber skin that contort the faces in weird and creepy ways. But the rubber skin has a ton of ultra-realistic detail like individual hairs and "pores" and all that.

Or have them animated like normal mocapped faces but then something "breaks" and you get weird unnatural facial tics when they go hostile.

Pandora at Disney's Animal Kingdom has an animatronic Na'vi that has the most disturbing realistic face I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FInYxXpbJMg

This isn't CGI. This is an animatronic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p4mn5BstQo

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

That's not people talk about when they say "uncanny valley". That na'vi looks fine because she's a living cartoon, she has larger-than-human eyes and her features are otherwise softened and rendered like a CGI character from Avatar.

This is what people are talking about when they say uncanny valley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd3QDTPgkOg

Realistic human face, rictus smile like she had a stroke, one-eyed winking where the other eye remains dead and motionless, servos whirring when she moves and you can see the skin distort and warp where the rods are moving the face.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Horror has always been subjective like that. I recall going to Blair witch in the theater with friends, some of us screamed but a couple people were just like "what?" The whole time.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
seeing that movie when it came out as a 14 year old in a crowded theater is up there with one of the best movie-watching experiences of my life, mainly because a little over halfway through the AC in the theater died and everyone just ended up sweating bullets for the last 30 minutes while simultaneously getting those "spooky spine chills"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Finished up Conarium, kinda meh about it it's less a horror game and really just a walking sim with puzzles in dark environments. I wouldn't recommend it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Vidiot posted:

FNaF works because it's pre-rendered, I think. You can't get a feel for how they're behaving or what they might suddenly do, and it's frankly unsettling when you catch a glimpse of them coming after you (eg; catching the fox just booking it down the hall to the security room on camera). If you use full 3D models the mystery goes right out the window once you can identify Animations #1-10.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

FNaF works because it's pre-rendered, I think. You can't get a feel for how they're behaving or what they might suddenly do, and it's frankly unsettling when you catch a glimpse of them coming after you (eg; catching the fox just booking it down the hall to the security room on camera). If you use full 3D models the mystery goes right out the window once you can identify Animations #1-10.

I'm not talking about gameplay, I'm talking specifically about character designs and animations. The FNAF robots aren't particularly scary.

Except Chica, gently caress that thing.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've given some thought to trying to make a 3D FNaF engine (mostly for practice), and I think there are a couple of things that would make up for that.

You'd have to vary the scripting a little bit, like at an intersection, they might go off in a different direction, and you might not be able to see that spot on camera so you wouldn't know right away. You also really only have to worry about what they're doing when the camera is actually on them. Freddy can teleport around from what I understand, so you could have him pop up in unexpected places as long as you don't actually see him move. Like, he could have a normal walking circuit, but there's a chance he could just jump to another point whenever he's not being looked at.

That would be the other thing, more interaction when they're being looked at. They have some shots now where they look at the camera, you could make it so that any time you look at them, there's a random chance they turn to the camera. And from there, they could either wait until you choose another camera before moving on, maybe do some kind of animation then keep going, or change to another route entirely because they think you know what they're going to do. And maybe Foxy could poke around his room a little before deciding if he's going to tear off down the hall. Maybe have an animation of him flipping the sign around to show he's about to take off, but if you catch him doing it there's a chance he'll stop and go back behind the curtain.

Could be coupled with some of the mechanics from later in the series, like having footsteps or other sounds so you have some idea where they are without looking. Like Foxy could normally do his run down the hall and you can lunge for the door button when you hear fast clunking, but maybe after you've closed the door without checking the camera once or twice he decides to sneak up the hallway instead and you just get a little faint mechanical squeaking. If it were extended to the 2nd game, Mangle could come in a couple of different forms depending on difficulty. Some fully assembled or close to it ones for low difficulty, the current one for the middle, and maybe like an even more spider-like monstrosity at high level - each one with different behaviors, and maybe the possibility for her to go to her spot or the service room and change things up during the night.

But yeah, the actual behavior doesn't have to be coupled to the animations, because the player can only see one room at a time. Just because you spotted Bonnie up the hall and he started doing a finger across the throat gesture at you doesn't mean he didn't go right back to walking as soon as the camera turned off instead of pausing there for 10 seconds like he would if you had kept watching. And maybe he even sped up a little to try and catch you off guard.

So basically you'd wind up with something that couldn't necessarily be powergamed in a "check this, check that, close that door, close the other door" sequence at the high difficulties, it would have a few random factors plus the player's actions would influence all of them to an extent instead of just keeping tabs on Foxy.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Parachute posted:

seeing that movie when it came out as a 14 year old in a crowded theater is up there with one of the best movie-watching experiences of my life, mainly because a little over halfway through the AC in the theater died and everyone just ended up sweating bullets for the last 30 minutes while simultaneously getting those "spooky spine chills"

i saw it on vhs on a portable tv in a tent in the woods behind my best friend's house and we almost died irl

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Spine tingles are no laughing matter.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

TVs Ian posted:

I've given some thought to trying to make a 3D FNaF engine (mostly for practice), and I think there are a couple of things that would make up for that.

The Joy of Creation is pretty much this. Also it's free.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Any thoughts on Detention? A friend gifted it to me on steam but I read "point and click horror" and my eyes kinda rolled back in my head. As far as I'm concerned there's only been one good horror point and click. I'm eventually gonna have to try it because I'm a polite boy but I want some opinions on it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Untrustable posted:

Any thoughts on Detention? A friend gifted it to me on steam but I read "point and click horror" and my eyes kinda rolled back in my head. As far as I'm concerned there's only been one good horror point and click. I'm eventually gonna have to try it because I'm a polite boy but I want some opinions on it.

It's wonderfully original and atmospheric in an Asian horror way which means it's focused more on being unsettling than "aaaah monsters hide!" The best thing it has going for it is that there are some genuinely surprising twists. It doesn't follow standard horror tropes, at least not Western ones.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Shadowlyger posted:

The Joy of Creation is pretty much this. Also it's free.

I do wish there was more free roam in that version. There were earlier demos/tests where you were hiding from the animatronics while attempting to get out of the house and I love the whole "stealth" aspect of not getting caught (or failing while one of them comes barreling at you at semi-realistic speed). The dev made some mean-looking versions of the animatronics in the game and the sounds they make are great.

The story part though, it's not good and kinda weird to say the least, script needed to be cut in half imo. There's a lot of explanation of how the mechanics work, which is in line with FNaF since the first game, but I think it ends up demonstrating how well Scott wrote those voicemails.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

i saw it on vhs on a portable tv in a tent in the woods behind my best friend's house and we almost died irl

this is a v dangerous scenario

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Untrustable posted:

Seconding what al-azad said, Detention is well worth your time. The mood through the entire game is very unsettling, and it gets loving dark at times. Not for brief shock value either, just genuinely terrible actions and events made in service of the story.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Joy of Creation looks really amazing, but one thing that gives me pause is the twist that the family being attacked is Scott Cawthon's family, and that Scott dies :yikes: That's a little uncomfortable considering he's a real dude

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I thought the full version of TJOC was a huge downgrade. At least the demo had something other than 'FnaF but slower.' The plot being about Scott was creepy and the big 'twist' about what's actually going on makes the whole thing feel like one of those bizarre murder fanfics about celebrities

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh. Yeah, that's a little nasty.

Untrustable posted:

As far as I'm concerned there's only been one good horror point and click.

Which is?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jukebox Hero posted:

I thought the full version of TJOC was a huge downgrade. At least the demo had something other than 'FnaF but slower.' The plot being about Scott was creepy and the big 'twist' about what's actually going on makes the whole thing feel like one of those bizarre murder fanfics about celebrities

Yeah I would have much rathered they do something like Case: Animatronics (which was awful for other reasons :cripes:) where it's just straight up freeroam through a building trying to escape.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Bogart posted:

Oh. Yeah, that's a little nasty.

Which is?

Harvester.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Crabtree posted:

drat, that just reminded me of something cool David Cage did! (Yes, really.)

In Beyond: Two Souls, there's a scene where child Ellen Page gets in contact with the ghost of Willem Dafoe's wife and starts channeling her. For that scene, Quantic Dream apparently did mocap of the actress's face while she delivered her lines, then animated it with the character model for little Ellen Page, so there's this scene where this little girl's face suddenly starts moving and emoting like an adult woman's and it's a nice creepy little moment.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Marshal Radisic posted:

drat, that just reminded me of something cool David Cage did! (Yes, really.)

In Beyond: Two Souls, there's a scene where child Ellen Page gets in contact with the ghost of Willem Dafoe's wife and starts channeling her. For that scene, Quantic Dream apparently did mocap of the actress's face while she delivered her lines, then animated it with the character model for little Ellen Page, so there's this scene where this little girl's face suddenly starts moving and emoting like an adult woman's and it's a nice creepy little moment.

Every time that game gets mentioned it reminds me that they modelled Ellen Page's character nude.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjdODmRD9m4

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Until Dawn update: man, it takes a while for the dying to start, but once you get to it it really goes for it. This is a good time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Danaru posted:

Yeah I would have much rathered they do something like Case: Animatronics (which was awful for other reasons :cripes:) where it's just straight up freeroam through a building trying to escape.

I'm imagining it like that one mannequin level in Condemned, except it's the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I keep buying cheap horror games (or downloading free horror games) and then never playing them, but I may rectify that tonight. Does anyone recommend any of these in particular? Right now I'm prioritizing scary/creepy over good.

Bendy and the Ink Machine
Deadlight
DreadOut
Miasmata
Oxenfree
Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Black Plague
Penumbra: Requiem
Quadrant
Rake
Sylvio