Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it's ok to like pretty much anything so long as you don't make it the defining part of your personality. Even people super into just one style of music can be creepy and weird if thats all they're about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tiggum posted:

PHUO: It's perfectly fine for adults to consume and enjoy media intended for children. If that's the only kind of media you consume then you'd probably benefit from expanding your interests, but it's not bad to like kids' books/TV/movies/games.

I adore and work with animation and that this is a very much unpopular opinion bothers me to no end. There's not really many options for me since animation has been deemed "kid's stuff" in the West since the 50's and adult animation is strictly defined as "what a 15 year-old boy considers adult." You get your outlier's like Chomet and Kon and the like but yeah, if I wanna watch animation, I guess I gotta watch kid's stuff. And not discuss it or else be considered an immature weirdo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it's ok to like pretty much anything so long as you don't make it the defining part of your personality. Even people super into just one style of music can be creepy and weird if thats all they're about.

I've always said that nothing you like or identify with should ever be sacred. If you love something you should be able to burn it in front of everyone. You liking or disliking something should never be a stand in for a personality. Someone saying something you like sucks should have no real effect on you personally.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I will not ever burn vintage military vehicles

It's cool to make fun of me for it though

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I adore and work with animation and that this is a very much unpopular opinion bothers me to no end. There's not really many options for me since animation has been deemed "kid's stuff" in the West since the 50's and adult animation is strictly defined as "what a 15 year-old boy considers adult." You get your outlier's like Chomet and Kon and the like but yeah, if I wanna watch animation, I guess I gotta watch kid's stuff. And not discuss it or else be considered an immature weirdo.

I blame Ralph Bakshi for ruing adult themed animation in the US.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The only movie I ever walked out on was Chicago and looking back I don't know what I was expecting cause I hate those types of movie

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

The only movie I ever walked out on was Chicago and looking back I don't know what I was expecting cause I hate those types of movie

That is the worst thing to be named after Chicago, including the Chicago Ripper Crew that chopped up and ate hookers in literal Satanic rituals. And the 2016 Chicago Bears.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I have never walked out of a movie, but I have fallen asleep during two.

The first Underworld sequel, and Master and Commander: Far Side of the World.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

WampaLord posted:

Elektra myself, but to be fair to my ~14 year old self, I was pretty tired anyway.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I blame Ralph Bakshi for ruing adult themed animation in the US.

Except he was the only one keeping it alive.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I walked out of "300" because the girl I was with got upset by the nudity in the oracle part. I went back and watched it again a couple years later and I didn't miss much. Also in hindsight it's a lot weirder than I thought at the time for a 21 year old woman to not be able to stand seeing some tits on the screen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WampaLord posted:

I fell asleep watching Con Air but I was also really sick. I just remember hearing "Sweet Home Alabama" and when I woke up Las Vegas was exploding.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

I fell asleep three times in theater watching Dark Knight Rises and then fell asleep watching it when my friend wanted to when it came out on dvd. I don't think I've ever not drifted off during it actually

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Except he was the only one keeping it alive.

Well he didn't keep it alive enough. :mad:

Honestly, if he were a more talented writer/director he might have pulled it off. I loved Wizards and Lord of the Rings when I was a kid.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Tiggum posted:

PHUO: It's perfectly fine for adults to consume and enjoy media intended for children. If that's the only kind of media you consume then you'd probably benefit from expanding your interests, but it's not bad to like kids' books/TV/movies/games.

i agree it's mostly fine, but it's certainly still a reasonable criticism that someone can have about a specific media that neatly summarizes why it didn't work for them, why they didn't find the same enjoyment

Das Boo posted:

while it's good that high quality, meaningfully crafted stuff is being produced for kids, sometimes almost exclusively for kids, i can see how it might be annoying that a whole way of doing things seems to be strictly reserved for them in the west - there's a lot of untapped potential there for sure

on the technical side of things i personally can't see someone reasonably having issue with, say, a discussion of how an effects artist uses varying degrees of motion or whatever in scenes x & y to communicate a & b through visual metaphor even if we're talking about the kiddiest movie/program imaginable because at the end of the day we should remember that a lot of talented people put time and effort into producing a thing with meaningful intent, maybe even developing neat new technologies along the way, that it's nice to read a little appreciation of their work despite the fact that their product will mainly be consumed by 'dumb' kids... but i can also see how some people might roll their eyes when other adults get so caught up on the grosser features of a kid show's plot, like how is batman's going to finally take down the league of shadows? is talia with him or against him? read my dissertation on the subject! that the discussion does seem to get a little laughable and maybe you want to keep that kind of sperging on the sly

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well he didn't keep it alive enough. :mad:

Honestly, if he were a more talented writer/director he might have pulled it off. I loved Wizards and Lord of the Rings when I was a kid.

The first fritz the cat is great, Heavy Traffic is great, and coonskin is a masterpiece. American Pop also rules.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I tried to watch fritz the cat a few years back with a friend and we both found it borderline unwatchable

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I tried to watch fritz the cat a few years back with a friend and we both found it borderline unwatchable

I think the first one has really great satire in it. The second one is like the first except all the satirical jokes are taken out so it's really lovely. The first one is great though. I dunno.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

I fell asleep three times in theater watching Dark Knight Rises and then fell asleep watching it when my friend wanted to when it came out on dvd. I don't think I've ever not drifted off during it actually

Well now you know what to do if you ever suffer from insomnia.

i mean you need a sleep aid so why not go for a drug free option

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I walked out of The Great Gatsby. Baz Luhrmann loving sucks

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've never walked out of a movie. I've seen other people do so, though. Team America was where I saw it happen. They left during the vomit scene in the alley.

Their loving loss.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Around 40 people were present at the start of the screening of the 2nd X Files movie when I saw it. 10 were left when the credits rolled.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Bioshock 2 is the best of those games.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

hard counter posted:

i agree it's mostly fine, but it's certainly still a reasonable criticism that someone can have about a specific media that neatly summarizes why it didn't work for them, why they didn't find the same enjoyment

while it's good that high quality, meaningfully crafted stuff is being produced for kids, sometimes almost exclusively for kids, i can see how it might be annoying that a whole way of doing things seems to be strictly reserved for them in the west - there's a lot of untapped potential there for sure

on the technical side of things i personally can't see someone reasonably having issue with, say, a discussion of how an effects artist uses varying degrees of motion or whatever in scenes x & y to communicate a & b through visual metaphor even if we're talking about the kiddiest movie/program imaginable because at the end of the day we should remember that a lot of talented people put time and effort into producing a thing with meaningful intent, maybe even developing neat new technologies along the way, that it's nice to read a little appreciation of their work despite the fact that their product will mainly be consumed by 'dumb' kids... but i can also see how some people might roll their eyes when other adults get so caught up on the grosser features of a kid show's plot, like how is batman's going to finally take down the league of shadows? is talia with him or against him? read my dissertation on the subject! that the discussion does seem to get a little laughable and maybe you want to keep that kind of sperging on the sly

I've (hopefully) never done that! Usually I'll gush over fluidity of motion, design abstraction, shot composure and if especially I'm watching Ghibli, those goddamn lush backgrounds. I like to grade the technical aspects of animation the same as I would any other film with the added fun of being able to examine character design and how well an artist has rendered movement, the latter of which is the most important element in anything animated, IMO. Animation's the art of motion and I just find it loving enthralling.

Oddly, the problem usually comes when I'm criticizing a piece of animation. This was handled clumsily, such and such was bland, that part was sloppy, etc. The usual response is, "Well what did you expect, it's for kids." It invalidates the medium as something that doesn't have the value to be seriously criticized. The recent one that springs to mind was that Samurai Jack revival. Superb artistic direction to start, then it weirdly fell off the planet. And when people started to notice and criticize it, the reply was the ever-familiar "What did you expect, it's a kid's show." Cool, it's okay for it to be poo poo, then. It's fine to produce flat, sloppy work as long as it's for kids. Anything you do as an artist is invalid, yours is a dumb product for kids. Only when it's not for kids can animation have value. But Western animation's nearly exclusively for kids, making it worthless. Neat.

Sorry, I ranted.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Trey Parker/Matt Stone and everything they've produced are just the loving worst

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hard counter posted:

but i can also see how some people might roll their eyes when other adults get so caught up on the grosser features of a kid show's plot, like how is batman's going to finally take down the league of shadows? is talia with him or against him? read my dissertation on the subject! that the discussion does seem to get a little laughable and maybe you want to keep that kind of sperging on the sly
Caring about the plot of a Batman cartoon is exactly the same as caring about the plot of Game of Thrones or Westworld or any other work of fiction, ie. completely normal and OK.

Das Boo posted:

And when people started to notice and criticize it, the reply was the ever-familiar "What did you expect, it's a kid's show." Cool, it's okay for it to be poo poo, then. It's fine to produce flat, sloppy work as long as it's for kids. Anything you do as an artist is invalid, yours is a dumb product for kids.
This annoys me not just with animation but with anything, because firstly, why should kids entertainment be immune to criticism? And secondly, because it's brought up as a way to dismiss criticism of kids' shows by adults who watch those shows. Like, if you criticise Doctor Who then the adult fans will respond "it's a kids' show!" - yeah, it is, but you're an adult. I know that a seven-year-old is unlikely to notice that the plot made no sense or the characters were wildly inconsistent from one scene to the next, but you're not seven and you should notice that. Oh, and it's still absolutely fine to like it and watch it - acknowledging that it's a flawed product doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. It just means you're paying attention (to the show you claim to love).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's OK for adults to criticize kids' entertainment from the standpoint of protecting and educating the intended children's audience. Pretending that children's and adult entertainment - the former being made literally for individuals with undeveloped cognitive functions and with no points of reference for abstract thinking - can be evaluated on the same merits is just bullshit by people who pretend there are equal depths to Bob the Builder as there are to Blood Meridian because they need to justify their poor taste.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

steinrokkan posted:

It's OK for adults to criticize kids' entertainment from the standpoint of protecting and educating the intended children's audience. Pretending that children's and adult entertainment - the former being made literally for individuals with undeveloped cognitive functions and with no points of reference for abstract thinking - can be evaluated on the same merits is just bullshit by people who pretend there are equal depths to Bob the Builder as there are to Blood Meridian because they need to justify their poor taste.
Surely the type of criticism should be based on the actual audience rather than the intended audience? If adults are watching Bob the Builder then it doesn't really matter that the creators didn't make it with adults in mind, it's a show that adults are watching and can therefore be evaluated in terms of that audience.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I honestly can't stand Team America: World Police. Almost everything about it is obnoxious: the 'ironic' "America gently caress yeah" (which has become unironic), knocking down straw men of celebrities (and accusing them of bullshit for no reason), the "both sides are equally dumb" arguments, etc. I'm not sure South Park has ever done politics that isn't obnoxious and shallow, and I think so-called "South Park Republicanism" is one of the explanations for Chimp's success.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Jul 25, 2017

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Out of the last 10 chicks I've dated in the last 5 years, 7 of them had cats. 2 of them had dogs, 1 had no pets. In all my experiences dating women, girls that have cats or girls super stoked over cats always end up being emotionally insecure. Girls with cats usually have little confidence, and little personality.

Girls with cats and no boyfriends are usually pretty mental. I stay away from them and immediately ask a girl if she has a cat, before I get in any sort of relationship with a girl nowadays.

*In their defense- the same girls are also usually very hot, or at least very attractive.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Tiggum posted:

Caring about the plot of a Batman cartoon is exactly the same as caring about the plot of Game of Thrones or Westworld or any other work of fiction, ie. completely normal and OK.

i used to have zero problems with even that myself, like it's fine that people enjoy and discuss the things that impact them on whatever level they want to, but then i ate my words pretty hard when i said that about the grown-rear end men that were getting weirdly caught up with MLP when that first became a thing a whiles ago; i'm not going to police anyone's free time or discussions no but i sure as heck reserve the occasional rolling of my eyes at adults so profoundly impacted by the day-to-day lessons of a children's program that they need to discuss it on the internet in detail - that sort of talk seems to be wholly the domain of people with deep maturity issues who maybe ought to have moved on and it's fair to mention that imho

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

Surely the type of criticism should be based on the actual audience rather than the intended audience? If adults are watching Bob the Builder then it doesn't really matter that the creators didn't make it with adults in mind, it's a show that adults are watching and can therefore be evaluated in terms of that audience.

Adults who watch Bob the Builder have nothing to contribute that any other adult could find significant, except when they eventually end up in front of a judge on charges of pederasty.

Anyway, surely people CAN analyze Bob the Builder as an adult product, but that doesn't mean they deserve to be entertained by others in doing so, and that they shouldn't be mocked.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Jul 25, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

steinrokkan posted:

So take something like Sleeping Beauty which is unarguably a kid's product by contemporary standards. What about the adult thought processes that cohesively amount to the final production? From the live action references, the use of ballet, animal movement studies, historical art references, architectural studies, costume design, use of color, lighting, form and shape to convey implicit meaning... All adult concepts, formulated by adults and practiced by adults, just funneled into a presentation a child can also enjoy. It's a production accessible to children, but always through the lens of an adult mind using what we as adults know through practice, experience and skill makes a film work. If it fails at an adult level it's a poo poo children's product because at its core, it doesn't work.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

Out of the last 10 chicks I've dated in the last 5 years, 7 of them had cats. 2 of them had dogs, 1 had no pets. In all my experiences dating women, girls that have cats or girls super stoked over cats always end up being emotionally insecure. Girls with cats usually have little confidence, and little personality.

Girls with cats and no boyfriends are usually pretty mental. I stay away from them and immediately ask a girl if she has a cat, before I get in any sort of relationship with a girl nowadays.

*In their defense- the same girls are also usually very hot, or at least very attractive.

maybe you just get turned on my emotionally insecure chicks and in such a small sample pool the odds of 70% of them having a cat aren't that bad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A thing like that is family entertainment, I was talking about stuff like MLP that is deliberately simplified to be accessible by pretty much any kid that can focus their eyes, though even something like a Disney animated classic would be imho treated unfairly if subjected to the same level of critical scrutiny as, say, The Titanic, without acknowledging the need of the creators to address the demands of the youngest audience members. I guess since on second look the original example of a children's show was Dr. Who, rather than something like MLP or Sesame Street, I guess I ultimately ranted about something unrelated to the discussion, as usual.

Also saying that kids' entertainment shouldn't be judged by the same criteria as adult entertainment isn't disparaging the creators, whose work is equally as hard as that of their "adult" counterparts, it's just saying that their output isn't comparable from a content analysis point of view without numerous caveats.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Jul 25, 2017

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's okay to like whatever media you like, just don't pretend it's enriching in any way. It's all just entertainment we use to keep ourselves sane and happy while we all go to work and do what we're told.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aramek posted:

It's okay to like whatever media you like, just don't pretend it's enriching in any way. It's all just entertainment we use to keep ourselves sane and happy while we all go to work and do what we're told.

For once I think you are right.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I guess at the end of the day, all things really are meaningless. Ah, well.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jastiger posted:

Never saw it.

Avatar as originally written is way better than what we got.

One of the worst movies ever made, but the producer/director/star fully believed in his vision and thought he was creating a tragic masterpiece

Highly recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Dennis McClaren posted:

You should have your research published.