Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
IDK man Arnie and Hugh Glass might as well be the same person.

Stuff like his characters in Aviator, Wolf of Wall Street and Gatsby I get the comparison but overall his characters are all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I find it hilarious that Drake Bell has been shoved into the purgatory of lovely knockoff animations after a terrible superhero "parody" movie, while his Disney Costar Josh Peck got Mean Creek before he even met him, and then a decent enough performance in Drillbit Taylor (which I liked enough). Partially because they've become the acting career equivalent of Goofus and Gallant, same with Lindsey Lohan and Mara Wilson (I put them together as Mara apparently did try to advise Lindsey to get out when it stopped being fun like she did, and while Lohan flamed out Wilson saw the internet being weird about her and took the reins, making her online image what she wanted it to be)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Jul 24, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

IDK man Arnie and Hugh Glass might as well be the same person.

Stuff like his characters in Aviator, Wolf of Wall Street and Gatsby I get the comparison but overall his characters are all over the place.

I thought he was great in those as well as earlier stuff like What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries.

Also I'm that guy who liked The Beach.

I think he has range is all.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

BiggerBoat posted:

Ok, smart guy. So his hat is underneath a spit curl wig then? Actually, this is starting to add up.

Honestly though I even remember as a kid not being able to figure out how Clark's boots and his cape were concealed underneath his business suit and dress shoes (not to mention the red underwear over the regular costume but still beneath his regular boxers and en extra yellow belt), but then he did that thing where he just spun around in the revolving door and I just went with "A wizard did it".

The Spiderman costume under the suit made much less sense though. Again, there's the boots (and Peter's case the gloves) but also Peter is shown taking gym class and basketball practice and poo poo so what did he do in the locker room? I'd imagine he'd got fukcing hot in that thing too. One of the cool things about the USM comics was showing how the suit was in a crappy old basic backpack most of the time and turned his laundry pink when he washed it one time.

In Spidey's case Homecoming at least touched on it; he spends more than one scene either struggling to get his costume on/off, getting the backpack with his street clothes stolen, etc, but the whole film was kinda based around the concept of Spidey being an awkard dorky teenager so it seemed like a neat little concession to "hey he may be a superhero but he's still 15 and falls over trying to take his pants off"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

I thought he was great in those as well as earlier stuff like What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries.

Also I'm that guy who liked The Beach.

I think he has range is all.

I mean that was the point I was making. I liked The Beach too FWIW

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Gonna nerd out here for a moment.

The old "where did his clothes go?" thing from Superman is a hold over from the 70s, and the excuse they use is that he super compresses them into a small sphere and then hides that in his cape via a secret pocket. Same goes for the glasses, although he doesn't squish them. He probably has a super ironing technique to get em wrinkle free though.

The weirdest moment of that was in Superman Returns where he just flies up the elevator and rips off his clothes and he's fully dressed, with boots, flying out into the world while his suit and pants just flutter down into the elevator shaft making Clark look like some weirdo perv who gets naked in the elevator shaft.

Honestly, the biggest IIMM for me would be wondering how he puts all the buttons back on after he rips off his shirt.

Spidey in the new movie has that stark tech suit, which is a giant multi million dollar outfit that I'm pretty sure has a/c built in. It's got a heater, at least. Gloves and booties can fold up pretty easily and end up in a pocket or just folded up with his mask in his backpack.

Pretty sure he just kept the old suit in a backpack or something all the time, and when he upgraded to the CW suit, he just stashed the whole shebang.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
When a terrible person who endangers everyone's lives sticks around because they're really a lovable rebel. Jayne from Firefly comes to mind. He outright betrays the crew so many times but they still keep him around.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheKennedys posted:

"hey he may be a superhero but he's still 15 and falls over trying to take his pants off"

I'm 28 and I'll still be falling over trying to take my pants off for the rest of my life.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Spider-Man can stick to walls which is cool. I get that and I accept that he has that ability. But then he covers his hands and feet and suddenly his clothes can also stick to walls? So does everything he touch also have the ability to stick to walls?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RobotDogPolice posted:

When a terrible person who endangers everyone's lives sticks around because they're really a lovable rebel. Jayne from Firefly comes to mind. He outright betrays the crew so many times but they still keep him around.

They keep Jayne around because he's "the muscle". He is the only one of them who is actually any good in a fight (as far as they know, River didn't start being a hypnotrance ninja waif yet) and has all the coolest guns.

When you take a look at these characters they almost always have some redeeming quality that makes them worthwhile. Not always, of course.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Spider-Man can stick to walls which is cool. I get that and I accept that he has that ability. But then he covers his hands and feet and suddenly his clothes can also stick to walls? So does everything he touch also have the ability to stick to walls?

he's got those spiney things that stick out, bet they can go through thin clothes

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Push El Burrito posted:

They used to say it was molecular cohesion or something science / magic like that and it could work through cloth because they made it up and said it could.

Spider-man 2099 had actual tiny, little claws on his hands that could grip things.

Granted, I haven't read comic books in a very long time so my information is decades out of date.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

They keep Jayne around because he's "the muscle". He is the only one of them who is actually any good in a fight (as far as they know, River didn't start being a hypnotrance ninja waif yet) and has all the coolest guns.

When you take a look at these characters they almost always have some redeeming quality that makes them worthwhile. Not always, of course.

I've only seen a couple of eps of Firefly but Jayne mostly keeps his muscles in his head.

e: also Adam Baldwin is a complete fygm rear end in a top hat with very little talent

I enjoyed watching him die in Angel's series finale

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Jul 24, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

I've only seen a couple of eps of Firefly but Jayne mostly keeps his muscles in his head.

e: also Adam Baldwin is a complete fygm rear end in a top hat with very little talent

That's true, but they hardly got the chance to develop the character past "meathead who's only in it for the money". I'm sure they had all sorts of character arcs set up for all of them to follow.

That must have been shattering, going from knowing you had a deal in place for a 24-episode season, to half way through filming an episode and being told you're cancelled, that's it, go home.

edit: absolutely agree with your second and third points. The guy's a piece of poo poo. Maybe that was the payoff we lost with Firefly being cancelled, him going out by accidentally shooting himself in the ballsack while sitting down on the toilet or something.

Memento has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Jul 24, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

syscall girl posted:

He's got exactly as much as Stephen Baldwin which is weird because they're not related.

Also, Animal Mother was the role he was born to play.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

He's got exactly as much as Stephen Baldwin which is weird because they're not related.

Also, Animal Mother was the role he was born to play.

Not empty-quoting this

Although Stephen Baldwin was in Fled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV-4hT3BS4E

with Morpheus. And dang his scenes look terrible even the part where Laurence Fishburne tries to clue him in to rhythm with the harmonica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRaUPKsGjv8

good grief

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Aleph Null posted:

They used to say it was molecular cohesion or something science / magic like that and it could work through cloth because they made it up and said it could.

Spider-man 2099 had actual tiny, little claws on his hands that could grip things.

Granted, I haven't read comic books in a very long time so my information is decades out of date.

Comic books never get that poo poo together. Sometimes it's the hairs, sometimes it's just some sort of uncanny molecular attraction that is so strong that if a superstrong dude tried to unstick him, chunks of the surface he was sticking to would break off before being able to pry him off

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Calaveron posted:

Comic books never get that poo poo together. Sometimes it's the hairs, sometimes it's just some sort of uncanny molecular attraction that is so strong that if a superstrong dude tried to unstick him, chunks of the surface he was sticking to would break off before being able to pry him off

Tony Stark is a scientist.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I distinctly remember a shot from the 2001 Spider-Man where Peter looks at his hand and it zooms in really close and we see these little barbed hairs coming out of his fingers.

I remember ​it because I thought it was gross as hell.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Parasol Prophet posted:

I distinctly remember a shot from the 2001 Spider-Man where Peter looks at his hand and it zooms in really close and we see these little barbed hairs coming out of his fingers.

I remember ​it because I thought it was gross as hell.

I had forgotten that, so thanks for the horrific reminder.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't know if he can still do it but in the comics he could have anything stick to any part of him for a while. Like, if someone was holding on to his back he could use his super sticking to keep them there or he could keep his mask on by sticking it to his neck if someone tried to take it off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

Him and Whedon reportedly got into massive arguments about politics every time they were on the set of Firefly at the same time so he probably wouldn't have stuck around if the show had continued.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

Having never read the Preacher comics I don't have your issues with it.

But Rob Zombie is a loving idiot. He does well on body horror but somehow all of his movies are just cringeworthy.

Assemble cast of rednecks, make them all eat the flesh of the living despite not having teeth. I gave up on that fool a long time before Halloween.

(I still love some of the old White Zombie songs and Living Dead Girl, also seen his MTV Cribs episode and he comes off really weird, and have heard he's a jerk to his fans)
I met Rob once after a White Zombie show and he was cool as gently caress. He signed my red leather Docs (it was 1994, of course I had red leather Docs) and seemed like a dude that was passionate about his work. His movies are ok - I enjoyed House of a Thousand Corpses. That's my Rob Zombie story. That same night I met Dimebag and he drew all over my face with a sharpie mimicking his facial hair. He also signed the Doc Marten's, but that's a story for another time.

HairyManling has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Jul 25, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Superman wearing his suit at all is stupid, because he's so fast he could see a mugger pull a trigger, run home, change, make his spit curl, come back, and still have time to read a book before stopping the bullet.

Same with The Flash.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I don't think Flash DOES wear his suit under his clothes does he? On the occasions where he needs to do something at short notice he generally does it so fast that no one sees him anyway.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The Flash runs home, has a poo poo a shave and a shower, has a light snack and checks his email then puts on his costume and tends to the emergency. That's how fast he is.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think Flash DOES wear his suit under his clothes does he? On the occasions where he needs to do something at short notice he generally does it so fast that no one sees him anyway.

The Flash makes his pants out of goes fast.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the comics, Quicksilver (Marvel's Flash ripoff) says that every day of his life is like waiting in an excruciatingly slow line at the DMV. Like imagine you're that fast and sitting down for a movie, it's probably a torturous waking nightmare. I imagine Flash's life can be very similar.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, the Flash's thing with his speed is that he can turn it on or off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Flash is basically a vaguely speed-themed wizard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Flash has a ring that fires costumes and he quick-changes into them as necessary.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Inescapable Duck posted:

The Flash is basically a vaguely speed-themed wizard.

If you haven't seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5a_00YVVkQ
^^full movie

You are missing out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite moments from season 2 was when Flash was running around the building, building up speed to do this big lightning bolt attack, and it turns out the dude (ZOOM) he was fighting with was just way way way faster than him anyway.

It means that while ZOOM was all charged up and waiting for Flash to actually do something, it means he was just kinda standing there and watching Flash basically slowly jog in a big circle.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

One of my favorite moments from season 2 was when Flash was running around the building, building up speed to do this big lightning bolt attack, and it turns out the dude (ZOOM) he was fighting with was just way way way faster than him anyway.

It means that while ZOOM was all charged up and waiting for Flash to actually do something, it means he was just kinda standing there and watching Flash basically slowly jog in a big circle.

Really interested to see if they show something like this in the comics when Zoom presumably encountered Dr Manhattan and lost his loving mind before "dying".

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Slime posted:

The Flash runs home, has a poo poo a shave and a shower, has a light snack and checks his email then puts on his costume and tends to the emergency. That's how fast he is.

False, the computer would not display things fast enough for him to do so and still attend the emergency. Same goes for the shower. :colbert:

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

False, the computer would not display things fast enough for him to do so and still attend the emergency. Same goes for the shower. :colbert:

You also can't make hot food with superspeed. It's not like you make the flames cook faster.

Perfect for making cereal, though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Brofessor Slayton posted:

You also can't make hot food with superspeed. It's not like you make the flames cook faster.

Nah, the milk still takes time to hit the bowl. Eating raw cereal is the only way.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brofessor Slayton posted:

You could cook it with friction! Who wants another hand-warmed steak?

Fil5000 posted:

Nah, the milk still takes time to hit the bowl. Eating raw cereal is the only way.

Spoon cereal in mouth, chug milk (or use a straw)

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Spoon cereal in mouth, chug milk (or use a straw)

You do have to spoon the milk into your mouth (or, as you said, use a straw) as it won't pour fast enough. But yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a Dexter's Lab cartoon about that. He has 30 seconds until the school bus arrives so he uses one of his inventions (a helmet that slows down time) to give himself 30 minutes, except it just makes everything else go slower. Tries pouring milk into his cereal and has to take bites out of it when it gets stuck halfway between the carton and his bowl.