Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

Chargeman Ken is the original Kemono Friends

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Kylra posted:

This is now official.

What is this?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When having nothing meant having everything, of course!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
:confused:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Symphogear.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
poo poo.
I REALLY need to watch that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

season four has been really good so far

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Knorth posted:

The Kawamoto household in March Lion continues to be the actual warmest and most adorable place. Is this episode 11.5 thing a series recap?

I think it was a recap but I can't remember for sure. There might have been extra shogi lesson bits.

The contrast between Rei alone and Rei when he's with the Kawamotos is so well done. It comes across even better in the anime than it did in the manga. October and season 2 can't come fast enough.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry, it's Symphogear and it's basically if Love Live was lovelier, if G Gundam was more hot-blooded and 13 of your favorite dishes were shown in front of you in quick succession. It's really rad.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

poo poo.
Yes, you do! It's like dancing drunk with your best shoes!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Mentat Radnor posted:

I think it was a recap but I can't remember for sure. There might have been extra shogi lesson bits.

The contrast between Rei alone and Rei when he's with the Kawamotos is so well done. It comes across even better in the anime than it did in the manga. October and season 2 can't come fast enough.

Ah thanks :)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Sorry, it's Symphogear and it's basically if Love Live was lovelier, if G Gundam was more hot-blooded and 13 of your favorite dishes were shown in front of you in quick succession. It's really rad.

Which one is GX, because that's the only one on Crunchy.

Also the way you're describing it makes it sound like a new Nanoha. Is it the new Nanoha?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Getsuya posted:

Which one is GX, because that's the only one on Crunchy.

Also the way you're describing it makes it sound like a new Nanoha. Is it the new Nanoha?

Gx is the third season. They actually have all three seasons, but you have to go to the show page and scroll down the seasons to see season one and 2 (symphogear->G->GX)

It's dumb that they do that.

Also I personally think it's better than Nanoha, but it's got some similarities...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hmm...

I'm thinking these kids need a better English teacher....

quote:

It has been stopped in the airport though he tried to take the unusual one home from the foreign country. The unusual one called in the world that meant the tiger in the country. After all, the wish did not have to be fulfilled though he wanted to take it home to my country by all means and show it to the king. The story was heard, and the king came to want it from the man who returned home by all means though he was unusual. The king did not listen to his word. Though he desperately persuaded his king when the unusual one was everyone's one. However, the unusual one was the only one man already, in those days.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Julias posted:

Gx is the third season. They actually have all three seasons, but you have to go to the show page and scroll down the seasons to see season one and 2 (symphogear->G->GX)

It's dumb that they do that.

Also I personally think it's better than Nanoha, but it's got some similarities...

Oh, yep, there they are. Sweet. Thanks!
I'll check it out. I love anything that shakes up the magical girl genre.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

Symphogear is basically all the best parts of Nanoha, G Gundam and Love Live / Idolmaster. It's also surprisingly metal at times.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Getsuya posted:

i think you've mentioned playing them before, so a neat thing to keep in mind is that symphogear is written by the same guy as wild arms, and there are a couple cute nods to it in season 1

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's also some nods to it in S2 and S3. I haven't noticed any in S4 though, and the main nod in S3 is one that only really matches up in Japanese, due to TL differences.

anyway symphogear is a fun action show that also has really likable characters that bounce off each other very well, one of my favorite anime villains in S2, a lot of good music, and an actual coherent theme tying that all together. Not that it delves super deep into that theme, but it does explore it, and it's fun to have all of that actually be cohesive as opposed to just thrown together.

Be sure to watch the OVAs, they aren't on Crunchy and they're both very funny and actually add some world/character building. Nothing crucial but minor bits of info that help give some scenes in the actual show some extra texture.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 25, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I think I like the first Sakura Quest OP more but Yoshino sitting in a tree throwing petals at the others is a good little scene :3:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
What's the order of the OVAs?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://my.mixtape.moe/tuputx.mp4

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chromartie is a treasure. :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What's the order of the OVAs?

1, 2, 3, 4 and so on.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Getsuya posted:

Imagine the best parts of Nanoha (so, A's) and then picture a show that's that, but all the time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sindai posted:

Imagine the best parts of Nanoha (so, A's) and then picture a show that's that, but all the time

You can throw in the cool parts of Strikers too.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

:five:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symphogear isn't a lot like nanoha. for instance, symphogear is good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

symphogear isn't a lot like nanoha. for instance, symphogear is good

What's your beef with Nanoha, out of curiosity? Haven't watched, myself, but I have some friends who swear by it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

poo poo.
You do.

Getsuya posted:

Nanoha, but only the good parts, and even better.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

What's your beef with Nanoha, out of curiosity? Haven't watched, myself, but I have some friends who swear by it.

Well, there are parts that do not contain Signum or Subaru.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/isbd5s.mp4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

its honestly not that bad the pacing is just kinda weird and the characters aren't nearly as interesting or likable as symphogear's. fate's kind of sympathetic but nanoha is pretty dull and the best characters in the show are the ones with barely any screentime.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

It's neat. I'm glad the game didn't come out earlier in the summer, or I'd have probably gotten a Switch, and my wallet's already stretched mighty thin right now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Persevere through the first 4 episodes of s01 even if you find you're not liking them, they're necessary setup for later payoff but their tone is much edgier than the overall show.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KONOSUBA SEASON THREE MOTHERFUCKERS!!! :catdrugs:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Nanoha A's and beyond have big enough casts to be interesting on a per-ep basis but season one relies on two girls for nearly the whole show and one of them is a standard magical-girl protag throughout so there's not a lot it shakes up. in comparison to like, Symphogeah, I think the latter is way more viscerally expressive even before you factor in how it uses songs to add another layer of storytelling onto what's already happening onscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fd1LxRNkeY
on the flip side, one thing that has stuck with me for years is how Innocent Starter 'opens up' (first verse, right after title shot) with a slouching Nanoha and a focus shot on the nape of her neck. Madoka uses this too (both zoom in to cover the detailed bases of their hairlines, and the two girls' clothes are especially designed to emphasize this area) so it left an impression on me. it's not body language I'd seen before but imo it evokes a feeling of self-doubt in the chars. The emotional buildup of both shows' OPs is powerful coming from those opening moments of uncertainty so I imagine it must have been important to the director(s?) who oversaw it,,, I know Shinbo directed both shows but I never looked up if this in particular was his doing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Best birthday ever! :dance:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Grouchio posted:

:yeah:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it is just announced as tentative 'new konosuba anime project' thus far, but yeah. hooray.

konewsuba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Space Flower posted:

season one relies on two girls for nearly the whole show and one of them is a standard magical-girl protag throughout so there's not a lot it shakes up.

I feel like Nanoha isn't that standard just because she spends a while going "oh no everyone has career plans already and I don't know what I want to do with my life except I really like maths," and within about a second of being told "you can be a magical girl, and also magic is just maths" she decides she wants to shoot laser beams as a career.

She's still an extremely straightforward goody-two-shoes but it's not like she's any less original than the rest of the cast.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 25, 2017

• Locked thread