Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GonSmithe posted:

Advanced screenings are literally always "HOLY poo poo IT WAS SO GOOD EVERYONE WAS SO GOOD IN IT."

Always.

I saw 'The Signal' for free and it was a huge piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I saw an advanced screen of Atomic Blonde last week and have been posting about how disappointed I was.

CelticPredator posted:

Just awful.

Though I don't hate the similarities of the prosthetics in that to Cyborg's design.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CelticPredator posted:

I saw an advanced screening of Jason Reitman Is Terrified Of The Internet and it was godfuckingawful.

K. Waste posted:

Long films are also edited down. Producers pushing their production teams to deliver the shortest product possible in order to maximize exhibition is the rule, not the exception.

This. A three hour movie as opposed to a two-and-a-half hour movie is the difference between showing a movie four times during a day and five times during a day per screen. Blockbusters open on around 4000 screens these days, which means that over the course of the opening weekend, a two-and-a-half hour movie can be shown 12,000 times more than a three hour one. And while there's not a direct "20% more showings means 20% more people!" connection, you definitely make more money if you have more showtimes. It's probably part of the reason why Dunkirk, a movie that is barely over 2 hours when you include pre-show trailers and ads, made a surprising amount of money this weekend, and it definitely helps a movie down the line when it might have to share a theater with something else, or people think about going to see it again, or people who are deciding based on movie length rather than what sounds good are picking a movie.

By and large, the nerd population doesn't really care about the length of a movie (see: Peter Jackson's entire filmography post 2000), but people who don't think as much about what movie they're going to see really give a poo poo, especially if they're doing it to kill a couple hours. I've had plenty of people decide what to see based on length (hell, it happened this weekend with Valerian v Dunkirk).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sir Kodiak posted:

I saw an advanced screen of Atomic Blonde last week and have been posting about how disappointed I was.

drat it :( Was really looking forward to a female John Wick movie

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

drat it :( Was really looking forward to a female John Wick movie

It's not awful, but, yeah, it's not nearly as good as John Wick. It's not as colorful, both visually, and in terms of the various peculiarities of John Wick's setting. It's only got one good action scene. Charlize Theron, while a fine actress, doesn't move as well as Keanu Reeves. Way too much time is spent on the plot.

There is that good action scene, though, and there's obviously an appeal to a lesbian love scene between Charlize Theron and Sofia Boutella.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's not awful, but, yeah, it's not nearly as good as John Wick. It's not as colorful, both visually, and in terms of the various peculiarities of John Wick's setting. It's only got one good action scene. Charlize Theron, while a fine actress, doesn't move as well as Keanu Reeves. Way too much time is spent on the plot.

There is that good action scene, though, and there's obviously an appeal to a lesbian love scene between Charlize Theron and Sofia Boutella.

How well is the music integrated with the movie? The soundtrack is filled with great songs and it would be a bummer if they didn't actually play a part in the movie proper.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

How well is the music integrated with the movie? The soundtrack is filled with great songs and it would be a bummer if they didn't actually play a part in the movie proper.

The songs are used well, both in the soundtrack and diegetically. Add that as the third thing in my list of positives. And I'll say, "only one good action scene" maybe undersells what's probably a fifteen-minute bravura performance of martial arts, gunplay, and car stunts.

It's worth seeing, just with realistic expectations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I have this really weird issue with DC movies. Even if they are good on a technical level, I have a really hard time giving a poo poo about any of them because I just don't give a gently caress about DC superheroes.

Like, Wonder Woman was a well put together movie, but I just give zero shits about Wonder Woman as a character, same goes for Superman/Batman/etc. So I'm automatically bias against DC movies because this weird hangup on my part.

I watched the Thor and Justice League trailers and was bored by the JL trailer but loving pumped as hell by the Thor trailer.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I feel for Clark Kent more than I do for most movie superheroes. A decent man in an indecent time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Cast of Black Panther goes nuts after seeing finished footage of the film for the first time.

:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/8...r%3D432%23pti32

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hardly any but I'd love to see your essay on it.

Thanks, I'll be sure to post it in here when it's done. I've got lots of words already but it's a bit of a mess at the moment because my later observations conflict with earlier ones and it's not an easy film to fit an interpretive structure to, like you can see most things in BvS through Snyder's very explicit Paradise Lost thing. There's lots of elemental symbolism in there and that's what I'm building around, but it's not comprehensive - I'm struggling to see how Katana fits in in this way, for instance.

I'm just about to re-watch Dark Knight Rises, which I haven't seen since it was in the cinema, because I think there are some interesting comparisons between Killer Croc and Bane to draw out, but we'll see.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

"NONE SHALL PASS"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cythereal posted:

From reading about the character, sounds like they might be going for a dark mirror to Scott Lang angle: tech/science genius who builds a suit that can turn invisible and phase through solid matter while working for an evil megacorp. Works pretty well for a while as the megacorp showers him in money, booze, drugs, and women until they eventually go over the line and the guy (doesn't have a name) snaps, in combination with the phasing tech not being good for his brain chemistry. Dude burns down the megacorp in question between his suit and hacking skills, and becomes a general cyberpunk anarchist dude bringing down The Man.

No cigars for guessing he was an Iron Man villain.

What's odd is they cast a woman for the role. Guess Ghost is an obscure enough villain someone at Marvel decided to break up the sausage fest.

He's also a dirty little freak who's too agoraphobic to ever get out of his suit, so I hope this lady can bring out that sense of grossness as well.

edit: He's pretty good in the Thunderbolts, where he plays a sort of anti-hero whose only constancy is attempting to subvert/destroy authority. A pretty good character.

I'm thinking its likely they might be going with the Ultimate version, where he's more of a corporate gun for hire though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

Thanks, I'll be sure to post it in here when it's done. I've got lots of words already but it's a bit of a mess at the moment because my later observations conflict with earlier ones and it's not an easy film to fit an interpretive structure to, like you can see most things in BvS through Snyder's very explicit Paradise Lost thing. There's lots of elemental symbolism in there and that's what I'm building around, but it's not comprehensive - I'm struggling to see how Katana fits in in this way, for instance.

I'm just about to re-watch Dark Knight Rises, which I haven't seen since it was in the cinema, because I think there are some interesting comparisons between Killer Croc and Bane to draw out, but we'll see.

I'll be honest, I'm watching it for ideas to rip off.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

He's also a dirty little freak who's too agoraphobic to ever get out of his suit, so I hope this lady can bring out that sense of grossness as well.

Lol I hope they include this.

I'll be honest, I'm watching it for ideas to rip off.

So then i can steal them from u.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shageletic posted:

Here's the actress. Can't say I'm familiar with her.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Here's the actress. Can't say I'm familiar with her.

I knew she sounds familiar. She's the softly-voiced bounty hunter from Killjoys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2jIZ8nXXgQ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The MSJ posted:

I knew she sounds familiar. She's the softly-voiced bounty hunter from Killjoys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2jIZ8nXXgQ

I don't want to forecast anything, but I really hope they don't just make her a competent badass for hire. There's a million Marvel characters for that, like Humbug or something.

Ghost is a supremely weird dude and I hope they keep it that way, while also leaning into his postive motivations, i.e. tear down authority.

edit; here's what i'm talking about

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 25, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

So then i can steal them from u.

Feel free.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ideas are just like, in our heads, folks. How can you steal an idea???

Tony Stark is, of course, a member of several public organisations openly dedicated to maintaining the world order.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

:respek:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

josh04 posted:

Ideas are just like, in our heads, folks. How can you steal an idea???

Tony Stark is, of course, a member of several public organisations openly dedicated to maintaining the world order.

Also, pretty sure Tony Stark literally was in the Illuminati.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also, pretty sure Tony Stark literally was in the Illuminati.

MCU Tony Stark is not.

MCU Scott Lang does have that anti-corporate background, that's why he was sent to prison. It's what makes me think Marvel may have picked Ghost to strike a dark mirror to Lang sort of deal - Lang was a white-collar criminal who didn't hurt ordinary people. Not hard to imagine Ghost as more paranoid and unstable, or willing to inflict collateral damage.

Ghost could even be after the secret of Pym Particles, not because she wants to use them herself but simply to get that stuff out there in public rather than let PymTech hide it.

Hell, could go one step further and have Ghost be inspired by the fall of SHIELD and how they turned out to be HYDRA.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
MCU Tony is not in the Illuminati because he is the Illuminatus.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Green Lantern looks like absolute trash. I hate that movie.

A movie about alien space police fighting the yellow space devil with glowing green mind plasma somehow came out relentlessly dark and muted. Like Oa, the font of all their power, seemed like it didn't even have a star. Even the sun hardly felt very bright as Hal Jordan was dragging Parallax directly towards it. What in the actual hell.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

American Lord Buckethead could use some work, but promising.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

The songs are used well, both in the soundtrack and diegetically. Add that as the third thing in my list of positives. And I'll say, "only one good action scene" maybe undersells what's probably a fifteen-minute bravura performance of martial arts, gunplay, and car stunts.

It's worth seeing, just with realistic expectations.

Is it "only one good action scene" as in there's only one scene period, or "only one good action scene" as in the others are bad?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MCU Tony is not in the Illuminati because he is the Illuminatus.

The guy is founding the MCU Illuminati as of CW.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

From the commercials I've seen the action hasn't looked impressive. Very dance-like and too obviously choreographed where it looks more like the actors getting to their spot than fighting. I can't really judge the movie on that though it's too little information.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is it "only one good action scene" as in there's only one scene period, or "only one good action scene" as in the others are bad?

This is only a spoiler to the extent that it answers your question, so it's not particularly spoilery, but we're starting to hit the point where I'd like to allow people not to read it: there's other brief outbursts of violence, and those are both mostly not as good and fairly abbreviated compared to the multiple long action scenes in John Wick.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

From the commercials I've seen the action hasn't looked impressive. Very dance-like and too obviously choreographed where it looks more like the actors getting to their spot than fighting. I can't really judge the movie on that though it's too little information.

This is accurate. You can blatantly see people move into position to take a relatively unconvincing punch from Charlize Theron.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Quick question about The Flash's movie being called Flashpoint: are they covering the fallout from him going back in time during Justice League to warn Bruce in Batman v Superman? That would be kind of cool, I guess.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

So I watched Dark Knight Rises;

Oof that is a long film, and it does get a little reactionary at the end; the 10/10 story of Bane symbolically and literally taking Bruce Wayne's resources and using them for radical social change collapses at the halfway point into a much more comic-y one about personal vendettas and hilarious commitments to causing mass death. it's a shame that we don't see more of Gotham post-trauma; excepting that we see the institutions of power have learned literally nothing apart from that they idolised the wrong one out of Batman and Harvey Dent at the end of The Dark Knight, we don't see any consequences of the corrupt upper classes of Gotham essentially being wiped out. S'weird.

Ultimately Nolan just seems like a fairly conservative kinda guy who gets that the system can be (and is) brutally unfair, and within that has a working understanding of how popular unrest can bubble beneath the surface until it expresses itself in ruptures like the occupy movement. That's just where he stops though, his two visions of the future are a status quo which is constantly defended by individual acts of heroism, or annihiliation. It's not even that he effectively denounces collective action, he just literally can't imagine it without a ticking time bomb to bookend it. And the time bomb is explicitly labelled "free energy" or "social media blank slate" or "Occupy Wall Street". The specific morality of any of these things isn't being discussed, they're just threats to the (perpetually on the brink of collapse) existing order and require the individual actions of brave men to mitigate.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Quick question about The Flash's movie being called Flashpoint: are they covering the fallout from him going back in time during Justice League to warn Bruce in Batman v Superman? That would be kind of cool, I guess.

I hadn't thought of that (because I've blocked BvS from my loving memory) but based on what I know about Flashpoint (which is only poo poo from this thread), that would actually make sense for DC to do. Batman's mom being the Joker or whatever all that bullshit is, not so much, but tying in that oddly placed flashback from BvS seems like a decent idea.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

josh04 posted:

So I watched Dark Knight Rises;

Oof that is a long film, and it does get a little reactionary at the end; the 10/10 story of Bane symbolically and literally taking Bruce Wayne's resources and using them for radical social change collapses at the halfway point into a much more comic-y one about personal vendettas and hilarious commitments to causing mass death. it's a shame that we don't see more of Gotham post-trauma; excepting that we see the institutions of power have learned literally nothing apart from that they idolised the wrong one out of Batman and Harvey Dent at the end of The Dark Knight, we don't see any consequences of the corrupt upper classes of Gotham essentially being wiped out. S'weird.

Ultimately Nolan just seems like a fairly conservative kinda guy who gets that the system can be (and is) brutally unfair, and within that has a working understanding of how popular unrest can bubble beneath the surface until it expresses itself in ruptures like the occupy movement. That's just where he stops though, his two visions of the future are a status quo which is constantly defended by individual acts of heroism, or annihiliation. It's not even that he effectively denounces collective action, he just literally can't imagine it without a ticking time bomb to bookend it. And the time bomb is explicitly labelled "free energy" or "social media blank slate" or "Occupy Wall Street". The specific morality of any of these things isn't being discussed, they're just threats to the (perpetually on the brink of collapse) existing order and require the individual actions of brave men to mitigate.

Nolan succumbs to ever-increasing bloat to a ridiculous degree in those movies. Batman Begins is just about right, The Dark Knight is a bit much but the Joker makes you not care about it too much, and then it ends with a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong slog sprinkled with a few good moments.

I dislike OMG IT'S ALL A FALSE FLAG poo poo in general, but this is bad even by that low standard. In Iron Man 3 it's the Military Industrial Complex manufacturing terrorism to keep itself in business, which outside of the robot suits and poo poo is at least in the ballpark of commenting on a real thing. Even with Star Trek: Into Darkness, which has really done the opposite of growing on me, there is at least historical precedent for generals threatening to instigate wars themselves you can point to as sort of placing the action in some kind of context. Like those wacko AF generals like LeMay and Power that wanted to instigate nuclear war with the USSR.

Bane and the League of Shadows are so disconnected from anything real that it's just weird. International kung fu Social Darwinist death cults pretending to be cartoon anarchists but really just wanting to kill entire cities is just... what?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Nolan succumbs to ever-increasing bloat to a ridiculous degree in those movies. Batman Begins is just about right, The Dark Knight is a bit much but the Joker makes you not care about it too much, and then it ends with a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong slog sprinkled with a few good moments.

I dislike OMG IT'S ALL A FALSE FLAG poo poo in general, but this is bad even by that low standard. In Iron Man 3 it's the Military Industrial Complex manufacturing terrorism to keep itself in business, which outside of the robot suits and poo poo is at least in the ballpark of commenting on a real thing. Even with Star Trek: Into Darkness, which has really done the opposite of growing on me, there is at least historical precedent for generals threatening to instigate wars themselves you can point to as sort of placing the action in some kind of context. Like those wacko AF generals like LeMay and Power that wanted to instigate nuclear war with the USSR.

Bane and the League of Shadows are so disconnected from anything real that it's just weird. International kung fu Social Darwinist death cults pretending to be cartoon anarchists but really just wanting to kill entire cities is just... what?

The movie is better when you see Bane is the actual hero.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I liked the League of Assassins from Batman: The Animated Series. Ra's Al Ghul's plan was to kill off 2/3rds of the world so that human beings couldn't destroy it anymore. In his mind, he would be the savior of mankind because the alternative is overpopulation and the end of the world. I thought it was compelling because in a way, he's not really wrong.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I liked the League of Assassins from Batman: The Animated Series. Ra's Al Ghul's plan was to kill off 2/3rds of the world so that human beings couldn't destroy it anymore. In his mind, he would be the savior of mankind because the alternative is overpopulation and the end of the world. I thought it was compelling because in a way, he's not really wrong.

Actually, yes, he is really wrong.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

UmOk posted:

The movie is better when you see Bane is the actual hero.

Bane definitely is the hero, right up until he's only part of Talia's gonzo plan. It's a shame, the 1h20 up until he absolutely takes Bruce Wayne apart are amazing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

They had to put in the really dumb "nuke Gotham" plot or else someone in the crowd might have realized that Bane is the hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Actually, yes, he is really wrong.

Do you think the Earth would be better off or worse off if humans didn't exist?

• Locked thread