Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

NTRabbit posted:

Currently having all 4, being the only Hipper, Chapayev, or Mogami in a sea of tier X ships is just as frustrating. Tier 8 cruisers in general are the least competitive tier/class combo that can be seen in a tier X battle.

The Charles Martel and Mogami I feel are more competitive than the New Orleans and, to a lesser extent, Hipper & Edinburgh in tier Xs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Yeah Martel is fine with its good range and Baltimore-level firepower. Haven't played the Mogami in a while.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ZombieLenin posted:

The Charles Martel and Mogami I feel are more competitive than the New Orleans and, to a lesser extent, Hipper & Edinburgh in tier Xs.

The sheer damage potential of the 155HE Mogami helps you keep pace when things are going your way, but a tier X game is when you really start to feel the pinch from its comparatively short gun range when things aren't going your way.

Getting inside 15km of an aware battleship at tier X in a tier 8 cruiser is pretty lethal, while most cruisers are outranging you by quite a ways.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 24, 2017

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

NTRabbit posted:

The sheer damage potential of the 155HE Mogami helps you keep pace when things are going your way, but a tier X game is when you really start to feel the pinch from its comparatively short gun range when things aren't going your way.

This. The Mogami is almost too good top tier, but the gun angles and range hurt it in the tier 10 sniping meta.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Blindeye posted:

Wouldn't Kutuzov without smoke just be a Chapayev? I'd give it a heal and either smoke or radar but not both.

The Kutuzov has a retarded 19.3km gun range and 8km torps where the Chapayev has 4km. But yes, it's otherwise very similar to the Chapayev in playstyle when you don't have the smoke.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Blindeye posted:

This. The Mogami is almost too good top tier, but the gun angles and range hurt it in the tier 10 sniping meta.

Honestly, if I am in anything other than a tier 8 destroyer, I don't expect to last long if I'm not in perfect position and I'm noticed by a bunch of tier 10s.

And again destroyers pop up. It's the only class at tier 8 I feel scales okay to a heavy tier 10 match.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I don't feel more afraid of T10 battleships than T8 ones in the Charles Martel (I'm rather afraid of both). Hell I welcome t10s because it makes Witherer more likely.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Honestly, if I am in anything other than a tier 8 destroyer, I don't expect to last long if I'm not in perfect position and I'm noticed by a bunch of tier 10s.

And again destroyers pop up. It's the only class at tier 8 I feel scales okay to a heavy tier 10 match.

Bad opinion time, but I think the British cruisers certainly scale fine, but I also believe the North Carolina and Amagi scale well based on being in a ton of "tier X plus me" games. You do less damage, sure, but you finally get that 32mm bow armor to tank non-Yamato shells and the mobility/stealth to get around the map.

Honestly, solopubbing for me has been hardest in the Ognovoi. You can look up my stats in it but the thing's low HP and poor gun range hurt it. My 10 point captain is a stealth build but it lacks the speed/health to do the Kiev dakadaka that I enjoy (coincidentally my damage numbers are way better in the Kiev but constant tier X mm means that hasn't been the best either).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I don't feel more afraid of T10 battleships than T8 ones in the Charles Martel (I'm rather afraid of both). Hell I welcome t10s because it makes Witherer more likely.

Of course you feel fine in the ship, it's not even remotely balanced with the other T8 cruisers (bar the even more bullshit Kutuzov). Yes, this includes Atago.

To simplify matters, it's also #2 in Damage, Exp, Ship Kills per Battle, and K/D. Hell, it's actually #1 in battles played, and more battles generally equates to the stats getting lower, so it utterly destroying everything else despite that is a massive red flag.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I like how the eugen is doing waay better than the hipper.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Of course you feel fine in the ship, it's not even remotely balanced with the other T8 cruisers (bar the even more bullshit Kutuzov). Yes, this includes Atago.

To simplify matters, it's also #2 in Damage, Exp, Ship Kills per Battle, and K/D. Hell, it's actually #1 in battles played, and more battles generally equates to the stats getting lower, so it utterly destroying everything else despite that is a massive red flag.

Yeah, it literally has the same gunpower as the Baltimore at a tier lower but with higher fire chance on HE. It might have better range too (unless the Baltimore uses the 3M range mod).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, it literally has the same gunpower as the Baltimore at a tier lower but with higher fire chance on HE. It might have better range too (unless the Baltimore uses the 3M range mod).

I am super happy with my Charles Martel. Granted I ground in it all weekend because of the French missions, but I've almost unlocked the Saint-Louis in around 5 days.

I won't want to get rid of it.

dodkalm
Nov 27, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Honestly, solopubbing for me has been hardest in the Ognovoi. You can look up my stats in it but the thing's low HP and poor gun range hurt it. My 10 point captain is a stealth build but it lacks the speed/health to do the Kiev dakadaka that I enjoy (coincidentally my damage numbers are way better in the Kiev but constant tier X mm means that hasn't been the best either).
I really feel like they didn't buff the Ognevoi enough when they brought it to t8, the guns feel anemic and even with the 10k range torps they don't really cut it either

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

JuffoWup posted:

I like how the eugen is doing waay better than the hipper.

That's probably because it's played with high level captains.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Ship opinion: the Emile Bertin is really loving good

Like, it's just a really well-rounded and comfortable ship, it's wayyyyy more ergonomic than anything else I can think of at tier 5. Unlike the occasionally frustrating 152mm peashooters on the Omaha and Murmansk, the guns remind me a lot of the Soviet 152's on the Budyonny and up - the ballistics aren't quite as good, mainly since the muzzle velocity is lower, but just like on the Soviet 152's the shell is really heavy and loses speed relatively slowly. This also means the AP is surprisingly nasty, and it really does a number on other low tier cruisers even at pretty long ranges. Unlike the Kirov though, the Emile goes really fast and has a pretty tiny turning circle, and the turret traverse is really quick. It's got far better DPM than the Furutaka and better range to boot. Perfectly usable torps, too.

Sure, it has no armor whatsoever, but really, this is tier 5. Nothing else has it either and you don't really need it anyway. With these guns I don't even mind going up against tier 7's much.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 25, 2017

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TheFluff posted:

more like... poo poo opinion HAHA GOTEM

but the emile is ok. The La Gal is pretty mediocre, though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Like, it's just a really well-rounded and comfortable ship, it's wayyyyy more ergonomic than anything else I can think of at tier 5. Unlike the occasionally frustrating 152mm peashooters on the Omaha and Murmansk, the guns remind me a lot of the Soviet 152's on the Budyonny and up - the ballistics aren't quite as good, mainly since the muzzle velocity is lower, but just like on the Soviet 152's the shell is really heavy and loses speed relatively slowly. This also means the AP is surprisingly nasty, and it really does a number on other low tier cruisers even at pretty long ranges. Unlike the Kirov though, the Emile goes really fast and has a pretty tiny turning circle, and the turret traverse is really quick. It's got far better DPM than the Furutaka and better range to boot. Perfectly usable torps, too.

Sure, it has no armor whatsoever, but really, this is tier 5. Nothing else has it either and you don't really need it anyway. With these guns I don't even mind going up against tier 7's much.

I found the Emile Bertin to be a beast, it's just better than any other T5 non-premium cruiser. I'm just getting into the La Galissonnière, it seems a much tougher boat to work with, guns seem great but the boat is very fragile and the torps are weak.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

dodkalm posted:

I really feel like they didn't buff the Ognevoi enough when they brought it to t8, the guns feel anemic and even with the 10k range torps they don't really cut it either

The Ognovoi I think is decent and almost OP. Its torps are the stealthiest at the tier IIRC and have good range, and now also good reload, and if they were 5 knots faster would be the best torps short of Fletcher/Kagero upwards.

The guns are Khabarovsk but it only gets 4 barrels instead of 6 or 8. If it had 5 or 6 barrels it would be a fantastic gunboat.

it is reasonably stealthy too. Overall I think its the best balanced of the T8 DDs and I like it a lot and like I say, is on the threshold of being OP.

Aramoro posted:

I found the Emile Bertin to be a beast, it's just better than any other T5 non-premium cruiser. I'm just getting into the La Galissonnière, it seems a much tougher boat to work with, guns seem great but the boat is very fragile and the torps are weak.

Agreed, I really liked it a lot more than the T6 LaGasoline (which is where I've stalled on the French line for weeks). I still think Konigsberg is potentially the best T5 cruiser but Emelie Bertin copes with up-tiering a lot better than the Konig.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Is there any way to get Large Dunkirk containers in the game besides the once per account Gallant mission?

Speaking of the Gallant, managed to get over 42k commander XP in ranked today:

Those 2 Bayerns decided to sail directly into my smoke very slowly at <10km and I poured single shot torps into their bows :feelsgood:

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Is there any way to get Large Dunkirk containers in the game besides the once per account Gallant mission?

The To The Rescue daily mission gives you one too.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Aramoro posted:

I found the La Gallisonniere to be the weakest in the line so far. The Alg. I was really impressed with, and Charles Martin is just loving insane with its damage output.

It does slightly less HE/fire damage than the 155 Mogami, with better range. Meaning that you don't have to get dangerously close to the opposite teams battleships to put that damage on them like you do with the Mogami.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I didn't have time to play boats last night, but I decided late at night and imbibed with alcohol that I might as well try Dynamo with pubbies to get the Gallant crate. What could go wrong?

I received the crate, but also discovered how it was possible to lose three ships to mines and rescue only 3500 soldiers and complete no other objectives. Fascinating.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Heartcatch posted:

I didn't have time to play boats last night, but I decided late at night and imbibed with alcohol that I might as well try Dynamo with pubbies to get the Gallant crate. What could go wrong?

I received the crate, but also discovered how it was possible to lose three ships to mines and rescue only 3500 soldiers and complete no other objectives. Fascinating.

My favorite are the Anthony's that shoot down like 5 planes. How does that happen?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

My favorite are the Anthony's that shoot down like 5 planes. How does that happen?

Being as far as possible from the convoy? Never right-clicking?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I started playing this game today, and during my fourth match against real people I killed basically everyone on the other team by myself. I was the last one alive while 3 of the other team were still kicking, and I killed them all. The Hashidate is apparently invincible against people who don't know what they are doing.

Edit - What are some good ships to aim for? Just the standard strong newbie botes. I remember there being some good recommendations in WoT, so I assume it's similar here.

Jester Mcgee fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 26, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MoraleHazard posted:

I took BFT and AFT on my Anthony captain, and put on the AA flag. On my 5 star game I ended up with 49 plane kills.

Jester Mcgee posted:

I started playing this game today, and during my fourth match against real people I killed basically everyone on the other team by myself. I was the last one alive while 3 of the other team were still kicking, and I killed them all. The Hashidate is apparently invincible against people who don't know what they are doing.

Edit - What are some good ships to aim for? Just the standard strong newbie botes. I remember there being some good recommendations in WoT, so I assume it's similar here.

Pretty good start.

The "best for beginners" country for each ship class would be IJN cruisers and carriers, US destroyers, and German battleships. Those would be the ones to play to see if you like that particular ship class. Ship lines to avoid as a beginner: IJN destroyers, US carriers, German destroyers, Russian cruisers, and British cruisers.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 26, 2017

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

The Kutuzov has been, and continues to be, the most fun and relaxing ship in this game to play :captainpop: :supaburn:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So if you don't buy/luck into getting a Gallant, you can only get one crate a day, correct?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Blindeye posted:

So if you don't buy/luck into getting a Gallant, you can only get one crate a day, correct?

Now yes, though on the weekend you could get 2 a day, because there was an extra mission that gave you a crate for finishing top 5 xp on your team, I think in a win.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Next two weekends will also have the second crate mission, IIRC.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

El Disco posted:

The "best for beginners" country for each ship class would be IJN cruisers and carriers, US destroyers, and German battleships. Those would be the ones to play to see if you like that particular ship class. Ship lines to avoid as a beginner: IJN destroyers, US carriers, German destroyers, Russian cruisers, and British cruisers.

Also french cruisers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Krogort posted:

Also french cruisers.

Low tier french cruisers are weird because angling is opposite day there. I actually would deliberately go full broadside to any BB so he'd get nothing but overpens.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
That all you got, MM?

:smuggo: :arghfist:

Mauzeraut fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 26, 2017

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Mauzeraut posted:

That all you got, MM?

:smuggo: :arghfist:

That Fletcher with 36 plane kills....

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Their ent was either new or a potato. Hovered fighters over me for a while, figured that was a bad idea and then decided to permaspot our fletcher while he parked behind an island and rotated defensive fire. Ent also found out that AP bombing an Atlanta only scratches the paint, but sadly he didn't waste many planes on my front.

The rest of the match was hilarious from my standpoint. I had a Baltimore, Fredrick and a Fletcher rage-following me around as I island hopped. The fletch over-extended and ate a couple full HE loads in an aggressive smoke, among other highlights.

As far as I'm concerned if it's not a good map for Atlanta, it's not a good map. :colbert:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Is that Tears of the Desert? Yeah it loving sucks for all cruisers but particularly Atlanta & Des Moines. Getting top score while bottom tier on that map as Atlanta is great.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
It's weird that Prinz Eugen does better than Hipper in uptiered situations, because Prinz Eugen, unless I am mistaken, is a stock Hipper.

Certainly Prinz Eugen has shorter range than the up gunned Hipper, as I recall from the eons ago I was in a Hipper. This makes the data scientist in me wonder about confounding variables, like availability of the ship (it's been awhile since the sold the Prinz Eugen) meaning people who use her, on average, have more experience than Hipper drivers, and thus, do better.

Of course that's complete conjecture on what might be totally false premises.

On a side note it definitely feels (not saying it is actually the case) like the Tier 8 ship I am most likely to get uptiered in is Prinz Eugen.

I want to say I find myself in matches where every other ship is a Tier 10 playing the Eugen far more often than any other Tier 8 I own, premium or not (including Atago).

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 26, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Polyakov posted:

The To The Rescue daily mission gives you one too.

Nah, unless different servers have different rewards? On EU it's

quote:

Mission: To the rescue!

Restrictions:

Random Battles, Ranked Battles, Scenarios
Once per day
Must be Tier V or higher
Conditions:

Earn 2,000 base XP over any number of battles
Rewards:

1 small Dunkirk event container

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is the Dunkirk missions just the 'To The Rescue' mission to get 1 container a day? Is there any other way to get containers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Aramoro posted:

Is the Dunkirk missions just the 'To The Rescue' mission to get 1 container a day? Is there any other way to get containers?

By a Gallant as it lets you run an extra box giving mission a day, buy the boxes directly, or wait until the weekend when there will be a mission to get an extra box each day.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 26, 2017