Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

drunken officeparty posted:

The giza pyramid is 455 feet tall and they didn't even have magic back then so 700 doesn't seem that off to me

It's also not made of ice or 400 miles long though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The wall was supposed to be transparent.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

drunken officeparty posted:

The giza pyramid is 455 feet tall and they didn't even have magic back then so 700 doesn't seem that off to me

The pyramid isn't three hundred miles long.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Who made the wall anyway?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

JBP posted:

Official story: bran the builder with the help of giants and the children of the forest.

More likely story: the white walkers themselves.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why did whitey build a wall to keep out people that live to the south?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If the White Walkers made it it would have been when they were still slaves to the Children. I doubt they would have made it magically prevent them from crossing it if they built it of their own volition.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Am I mixing up theories with facts, but didn't one of the sidestories or complimentaries material said that the Children of the Forest basically exploded the wall into existence (kinda like what they did with the stepstones, but upwards)?

If that's true then it's completely feasible that the initial wall wasn't that big but then Bran the builder + giants and then generations of 30 something castles full of bored people piling up a block a day got it up to it's current height. After all there's like 1500 years between the Long Night and current events when the Night Watch became lame. Someone do the math

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 25, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JBP posted:

Why did whitey build a wall to keep out people that live to the south?

I dunno, ask Trump voters. :v:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

lezard_valeth posted:

Am I mixing up theories with facts, but didn't one of the sidestories or complimentaries material said that the Children of the Forest basically exploded the wall into existence (kinda like what they did with the stepstones, but upwards)?

If that's true then it's completely feasible that the initial wall wasn't that big but then Bran the builder + giants and then generations of 30 something castles full of bored people piling up a block a day got it up to it's current height. After all there's like 1500 years between the Long Night and current events when the Night Watch became lame. Someone do the math

Officially there's some 8000 years between the long night and aegons conquest.

We never learn anything about the construction of the wall. We know that the children blew up the land bridge between dorne and essos which suggests that they have some powerful terraforming capabilities but it's all speculative cause gurm won't write.

I think it was built by the walkers as a part of a pact, I don't believe that the last hero and his 12 companions could actually defeat the Walker forces.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think I'd just move to Pentos or something if the White Walkers showed up.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

I think I'd just move to Pentos or something if the White Walkers showed up.

I never understood why most of the conflicts both in the story and in sidestories spin around Westeros when the world looks like this:

gently caress sake you have a lot continent of nothing to rule, and if the Dothraki prove to be too much of a trouble just cross the mountains and you have more continent to take over and rule.

Like look at all that bunch of interesting places like City of the Winged Men or The Five Forts. I want to know what is happening over there. I want a Skyrim game but in fantasy tits and dragons land

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 25, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Become the ruler of the Thousand Islands. Toss your enemies aside. Dress down your naysayers and relish in their first course of action.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

lezard_valeth posted:

I never understood why most of the conflicts both in the story and in sidestories spin around Westeros when the world looks like this

You've also got Sothoryos which extends gently caress-knows how far south but the story has to take place somewhere in the world I guess :shrug:

Even in Lord of the Rings you only see the tiniest snippet of the world.

The 5 Forts would be cool though, they're effectively the far East not-Chinese version of the Wall.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

I never understood why most of the conflicts both in the story and in sidestories spin around Westeros when the world looks like this:

Do not ask for ASOIAF extended universe, because you might get it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

gently caress sake you have a lot continent of nothing to rule, and if the Dothraki prove to be too much of a trouble just cross the mountains and you have more continent to take over and rule.

Like look at all that bunch of interesting places like City of the Winged Men or The Five Forts. I want to know what is happening over there. I want a Skyrim game but in fantasy tits and dragons land

Fat man is bad at world building.

I need a foreign sounding placename... Let's throw together some vowels and consonants and add a random apostrophe.

A town of traders... Surely they would call themselves..... Trader town.

And then we have Bonetown, where I live.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
There was once a town made of planks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rotacixe posted:

Do not ask for ASOIAF extended universe, because you might get it.

He's already working on a side story about a bunch of faux middle eastern feudal rulers who are under threat from an ancient race of sand zombies.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shibawanko posted:

Fat man is bad at world building.

I need a foreign sounding placename... Let's throw together some vowels and consonants and add a random apostrophe.

A town of traders... Surely they would call themselves..... Trader town.

And then we have Bonetown, where I live.

People name places and towns dumb stuff all the time. Hey guys what should we call this new found land?

I do like how 'Trader town' appears to be in the middle of nowhere though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

New South Wales is my favourite Australian one. Nice work explorers.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

People name places and towns dumb stuff all the time. Hey guys what should we call this new found land?

I do like how 'Trader town' appears to be in the middle of nowhere though.

Hahah that's true.

Wasn't Wales the term the Anglo Saxons used for anybody who wasn't them, particularly any Celts? Like "the other guys"

New South Other Dudes' Place

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Shibawanko posted:

Hahah that's true.

Wasn't Wales the term the Anglo Saxons used for anybody who wasn't them, particularly any Celts? Like "the other guys"

"Welsh" effectively means "foreigner"

Any time you get Germanic people next to non-Germanic people they give them the same name:

Ancient France was called Gaul

In Belgium the French speakers are Walloons

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, Kelly C lost her entire navy and now she got a dotraki horde suck in a tiny island to die of hunger? Very underwhelming, but not undeserved: her plan to "well lets just siege KL and wait, but without using dragons opr the huge rear end army I brought here" is the dumbest thing

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

You know what the best part of the show is now? The scene transitions, and we've gotten two amazing Sam ones so far. Firstly the one where it cuts from him shovelling out poo poo to him eating, and secondly the one with him performing surgery which then cuts to guys eating in the pub.

So yeah, as loving dour and boring this show can get sometimes, at least the editors are sharing a laugh with us. Its not as good as the jokes about Theon but bless them for trying.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The dialogue last episode was so bad that even the remaining good actors seemed uninspired

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I feel like if they were really trying they could have transitioned from the Grey Worm scene to something.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Elias_Maluco posted:

The dialogue last episode was so bad that even the remaining good actors seemed uninspired

Daenaerys speaking with Melisandre was so stilted that it was more like a dialogue out of a Bioware game.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

JBP posted:

Ancient aliens, duh.

Also the opening credits clearly show the world is a Dyson sphere.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

kater posted:

I feel like if they were really trying they could have transitioned from the Grey Worm scene to something.

Transition his pants off to thirty seconds of blank screen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I can see you're no Dave Hill. We cut to sausage and eggs sizzling in a pan.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Smash cut to Yara eating oysters you amateurs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cut to a game of marbles but a bully suddenly steals the marbles and then cuts his dick off.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
That final action sequence was cringeworthy at times, and the sex scene was very HBO in that it kept going far longer than it needed to.

But I couldn't help feeling good when Tyrion put in a good word for Jon. Look forward to seeing them together again.

Also love the (not very subtle at all) hints that Danybis getting them Mad-King genes going.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Smash cut to Yara eating oysters you amateurs.

I think you mean Varys.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

BigglesSWE posted:

Also love the (not very subtle at all) hints that Danybis getting them Mad-King genes going.

I think I need her to burn Jon Snow alive for me to like her again

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Omnikin posted:

I think I need her to burn Jon Snow alive for me to like her again

*as the flames consume him*
"Boy we Starks really gotta stop answering summons to court by Targ monarchs."

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dragonfire can't melt plot armor.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yara probably followed established sea routes like a chump.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JBP posted:

Cut to a game of marbles but a bully suddenly steals the marbles and then cuts his dick off.

I like it because it's subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
This show has sucked for years and prestige TV sucks in general.

• Locked thread