Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dsriggs posted:

Great looking car BUT... not a lot of large, flat planes for sponsors to put their logos on. That could be a problem.

Any modern open wheel car has that problem. There's no sponsor blocking winglet now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/889839726601097218
VROOM VROOM

E: The Honda broke.
https://twitter.com/henifer/status/889845341029355521

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 25, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Some interesting tidbits from the 2018 aero kit press conference yesterday with Jay Frye:

RE: Costs

quote:

The annual cost should be 30 to 40 percent less than what the current car is. One of the things with having a universal car is we're able to negotiate that, able to negotiate the term, which is, again, for three years, so the teams can plan for it. That was something that was very important, what the actual conversion cost was going to be and then what the annual cost was going to be over this term.

Costs are fixed for the next 3 years, which is great for the teams and should hopefully attract new teams and/or expansion of current teams.

RE: Downforce levels

quote:

Well, there's probably a 20 percent overall reduction, 20 to 25 percent overall reduction to the current car, and what we tried to do is create the window, so the total potential window of the car's downforce level has definitely shifted down, so not just the top, the maximum amount of downforce, the bottom end has changed, too, where it's dropped. So we've moved the window down. Not saying we're ever at completely max downforce, but this car does have less overall downforce. The downforce opportunity window is moved down.

That's a big drop in overall downforce, and they're been able to lower the downforce floor quite a bit which is great.

And one last great thing

quote:

Q. I've got one question about the design that you've been talking about. You said that the engine cowling opening will be much lower on the engine so that it becomes more visible, correct?

JAY FRYE: When you take off the engine cover, yes, the engine is more visible than it was before. There were obviously things on top of it that kind of blocked it where now that's gone, so you get a much cleaner, closer view of the engine.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The engine package is totally untouched right? Tub and all that is the same too?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How close to minimum downforce were most teams at Indy qualifying?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Norns posted:

The engine package is totally untouched right? Tub and all that is the same too?

The engine packages are all up for incremental development from Chevy/Honda as normal, I'm sure Chevy will do some things to bridge the gap from Honda.

The tub is the same except for some safety increases with side impact protection

quote:

Q. I have a two-part question: How involved were the drivers in the design process in terms of safety just in relation to -- like we've had a lot of big accidents lately with Seb and then also obviously with Hinch a couple of years ago. Does that have any impact on the overall design of the car?
JAY FRYE: Yes, we tried to make sure we were very transparent through this whole process, and if you look at the two incidents you just mentioned, this driver side impact protection device piece is a big part of this new kit. It would have addressed Hinch's incident, and it would have addressed Seb's incident, too, or it was areas that the car now is now is more robust than it currently is, so it's something we paid attention to. We made sure the drivers were involved with it.

Even if you look at the, per se, sponsor blocker on the current car, as you notice, it's not on this car. Well, with the radiators and the body and everything being moved forward, the body is moved out farther as you can see because of the driver impact device, so a wheel contact to the side of the car will be more like hitting a side pod versus getting up on the underwing. So there's things like that that we've done, again, little nuances to this entire project that we think has made the car safer, and we definitely have paid attention to the drivers' input, we've paid attention to Jeff Horton and Dr. Trammell and everybody else who's been involved with this to make this car as safe as we can.

IOwnCalculus posted:

How close to minimum downforce were most teams at Indy qualifying?

Every engineer I spoke with said their goal was to run as much negative rear wing and still be able to run flat out, most teams were able to run effectively at max negative rear wing (-10.5°)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Are the rear flaps that they were using for the speedway setup to prevent cars from going airborne going to be universal now?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Why don't the steal a page from nascar and have pop out flaps that deploy to keep them from going airborne?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

Are the rear flaps that they were using for the speedway setup to prevent cars from going airborne going to be universal now?
They aren't on the road course renders from what I can see, but they are on the oval renders. They may not work with roadcourses because of the weird/shifting angles of attack and stuff, otherwise I don't see why they wouldn't run them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Why don't the steal a page from nascar and have pop out flaps that deploy to keep them from going airborne?

You mean these things?

Because the mounting point makes it seems like they're going to be universal among both the kits now.

Cygni posted:

They aren't on the road course renders from what I can see, but they are on the oval renders. They may not work with roadcourses because of the weird/shifting angles of attack and stuff, otherwise I don't see why they wouldn't run them.

True, but who knows.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oriol seems to be somewhat happy at least and the parts are working, 217.9mph lap a while ago.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Think Indy and Dallara is going to have him and JPM do a joint session for tow speeds?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/FollowAndretti/status/889845529403904002

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

You mean these things?

Because the mounting point makes it seems like they're going to be universal among both the kits now.

Yeah but take it farther and incorporate body flaps as well.

More downforce coming from ground effects means the popup will be higher when they lose it?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/889877261914173440

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
To answer a previous question about the Chevy test car color:

Chevy PR posted:

When a wrap is created, it is made to be as close as possible to the production color.

This is Hyper Blue and is a Camaro color.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They used the same color on the aerokit test cars too back in 2014-2015.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

KingShibby posted:

To answer a previous question about the Chevy test car color:

Thanks for getting that info, the wrap color is :krad:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

How else would you know it's a Honda?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Yeah but take it farther and incorporate body flaps as well.

More downforce coming from ground effects means the popup will be higher when they lose it?

The existing flaps would be even more effective with more of the downforce coming from the ground effects tunnels, no? and considering how thin the bodywork is, it's hard to see how they'd put flaps on the upper bodywork.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/889950612477095936

JPM and Oriol feel it's good. Also, they got through everything (to the surprise of no one given they couldn't have had better weather), so no test tomorrow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"I was flat on my first lap, which says two things - how stupid I am, but also how good the car felt."

<3 Oriol.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/889993719679770624

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
^^^ Good.

vvv Also good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLQomQwDvYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_uxtxSheGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L9ymcIYePg

Watching these made me realize that the death of Speed TV/Speed.com is why Racer got to be in a position where they're slaying Indycar coverage. Coverage of everything, really.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlEBzF977k4

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

miller and pruett vids/podcast are just great.

does anyone sub to the actual Racer Magazine? i havent had a magazine sub in 10ish years, but i love what they are doing online and i feel like i should get the hardcopy too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

miller and pruett vids/podcast are just great.

does anyone sub to the actual Racer Magazine? i havent had a magazine sub in 10ish years, but i love what they are doing online and i feel like i should get the hardcopy too.

I've debated it. Miller and Pruett A. know their poo poo, B. have a really good relationship with each other, and C. know how to be silly. It makes them so much better.

Also, Miller will criticize things if needed, which is always a plus.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I don't sub but the podcast is good. I loved the Indy interviews.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I have the online app subscription, which gets me a digital version of the magazine. Usually read it on the iPad, and for ~$8 a year it's essentially a tip in the jar for the writers and content I like on the site.

(If I lived in the US I'd get a physical magazine subscription)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

The Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio Fast Facts

Race Weekend: Friday, July 28 - Sunday, July 30

Track: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, a 13-turn, 2.258-mile road course in Lexington, Ohio
Race Distance: 90 laps / 203.22 miles

Entry List: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio (PDF)

Push-to-Pass Parameters: 200 seconds of total time with a maximum time of 20 seconds per activation.
Firestone Tire Allotment: Seven sets primary, four sets alternate. Teams must use one set of primary and one new set of alternate tires in the race.

Twitter: @Mid_Ohio, @IndyCar, #Honda200, #IndyCar
Event Website: https://www.midohio.com

2016 Race Winner: Simon Pagenaud (No. 22 PPG Automotive Refinish Chevrolet)
2016 Verizon P1 Award Winner: Simon Pagenaud (No. 22 PPG Automotive Refinish Chevrolet), 1:03.8700, 127.271 mph
Qualifying Record: Simon Pagenaud, 1:03.8700, 127.271 mph, July 30, 2016

NBCSN Broadcasts: Qualifying, 2 p.m. ET Saturday, July 29 (live); Race, 3 p.m. ET Sunday, July 30, CNBC (live); 7 p.m. ET Sunday, July 30, NBCSN (re-air)

quote:

Kevin Lee is the lead announcer for the NBCSN broadcasts this weekend alongside analysts Townsend Bell and Paul Tracy. Pit reporters are Jon Beekhuis, Katie Hargitt, Anders Krohn and Robin Miller.

Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network Broadcasts: The Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network is led by chief announcer Mark Jaynes, with analyst Davey Hamilton. Turn reporters are Jake Query and Nick Yeoman, with Rob Howden and Michael Young reporting from the pits. All Verizon IndyCar Series races are broadcast live on the Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network, Sirius 212, XM 209, IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and on the INDYCAR Mobile app.

Video Streaming: All practice sessions for the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio will stream live on RaceControl.IndyCar.com and on the INDYCAR YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/indycar).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The big question in regards to Ohio this year: Will Aleshin lose in the most Russian dash cam fashion again?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

iospace posted:

The big question in regards to Ohio this year: Will Aleshin lose in the most Russian dash cam fashion again?

Is he even racing?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flikken posted:

Is he even racing?

According to the entry list, yes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/NTTDATAServices/status/890225201300025351

looky good

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

nah, the real question is "who is going to finish second" because we all should know Scott Dixon is winning this.

he always wins at Mid-Ohio, and usually it's by running faster and using less gas than everyone else through some kind of sorcery or witchcraft :psyduck:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N: Kyle Busch and Kyle Larson want to run the 500.

V: I think we're going to easily hit 33 again this year. The only driver I don't see coming back at all next year is Buddy, and maybes are Sage, Marco, and Alonso. Larson probably has the easier path of the two NASCAR crossovers as he races for Chip.

harperdc posted:

nah, the real question is "who is going to finish second" because we all should know Scott Dixon is winning this.

he always wins at Mid-Ohio, and usually it's by running faster and using less gas than everyone else through some kind of sorcery or witchcraft :psyduck:

The dude won at Road America, which by all means shouldn't have happened with a Honda kit against all four Penskes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I think it's likely we'll see Alonso again next year. The only real chance of him getting into a race-winning car in F1 (and thus not being able to skip Monaco) is McLaren somehow making a deal with Mercedes/Ferrari, or Honda magically getting their poo poo together.

Ryan Blaney mentioned wanting to do the Indy/Coke 600 double with Penske in the future, so there's also that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I like the idea of Penske/Ganassi/Andretti going "All hands on deck" at places like Daytona 24 Hours, Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500.

That's really how racing should be.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

I think it's likely we'll see Alonso again next year. The only real chance of him getting into a race-winning car in F1 (and thus not being able to skip Monaco) is McLaren somehow making a deal with Mercedes/Ferrari, or Honda magically getting their poo poo together.

I have absolutely zero doubt in my mind that Alonso would be back at Indy but do you really think that soon?

I can see it if Alonso finally tells McLaren-Honda to gently caress right of with their garbage, takes a one year sabbatical, and does a season of IndyCar before seeing where the driver market lies the following season but that's about it.

I'm also responding with the assumption that your post implies he'd still stick around with McLaren if given yet another noncompetitive vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

harperdc posted:

Graham won two years ago :colbert:

I think I am the only bigh Graham fan in this thread.

• Locked thread