Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There are a couple of monoblack Reanimator lists that are fairly cheap, combining the basic Reanimator package with like the Depths combo or some Pox cards. I'm just about done with the Pox version though I don't know the price off the top of my head, it's gone up a bit since I started building it-

1 Ashen Rider
1 Elesh Norn
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Griselbrand
4 Grave Titan
4 Entomb
4 Reanimate
4 Dark Ritual
1 Buried Alive
4 Collective Brutality
2 Duress
2 Exhume
3 Hymn to Tourach
4 Thoughtseize
2 Smallpox
2 Animate Dead
2 Lake of the Dead
18 Swamp
(credit to goon Trilas for the list)

SB can be Needle, Dread of Night, Ratchet Bomb, Massacre etc. I have the Helm/Leyline combo in the board but that costs money.

The Depths Reanimator list is pricier but similar. I think it was on MTGGoldfish a couple weeks ago-
4 Vampire Hexmage
3 Griselbrand
3 Grave Titan
4 Dark Ritual
4 Entomb
4 Reanimate
4 Thoughtseize
3 Collective Brutality
4 Exhume
1 Unburial Rites
4 Lotus Petal
4 Dark Depths
2 Lake of the Dead
2 Marsh Flats
1 Scrubland
3 Swamp
4 Thespian's Stage
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Bloodstained Mire
//Sideboard
1 Coffin Purge
2 Dread of Night
2 Duress
4 Pithing Needle
2 Surgical Extraction
1 Rite of Consumption
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Massacre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Cool report, Hatebears/D&T is a deck I really want to try but I have this weird hangup about the Vials even though they're used in several other decks. Also that Dusk//Dawn story was rad.

Any idea what the smoke on the street is re: Ramunap Excavator in this style of deck? Seems like you have a lot of lands worth recurring, but I seem to recall you being kind of tepid on GW versions of the deck.

Get some vials dog. Taxes and hatebears are the one deck style I always end up coming back to because I love playing those kinds of cards and right now is probably the best time in a long time to be playing those types of decks.

I'm still not too excited about rumanap, at least for taxes decks. Last time it came up I said they were not great imo for taxes but would probably be ok in a GW value deck like the ones Todd Stevens had been playing, and it turns out I was right- he had some in his GW value deck that he got first with last weekend in the team event. It works well for his deck because of how much more easy it is to abuse with KotR and Azusa. I also think monowhite is just better than the variants right now because you can easily find room for the 4 tectonic edges and still be fine. With GW you have to sacrifice that for color consistency even though you gain a lot of options in green like ooze. There's two ways you can go in GW, the flicker-based version splashing green that still uses flickerwisp, or the hatebears route that uses cards like loxodon smiter and voice of resurgence instead of wisps. I tried Craig Wescoe's GW version online and didn't like it as much and I missed having evasive attackers and lost vs monowhite. I just don't think rumanap does enough in either of those compared to the GW value decks.

Walked posted:

The aim is to:
- Minimize risk of lending for me
- Maximize exposure to legacy while doing #1

Ideally I'd like to come up with 1-3 decks under $500 that I can put together to lend out. It looks like two of the three are probably going to be Budget Turbo Depths, and Mono Red Burn (this is just too cheap not to have around). Looking for 1 or 2 more.

Why not just have proxy legacy nights? It can't be sanctioned but it's a lot of fun and got some locals into legacy more, eventually people start buying the actual cards when they find a deck they really like.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why not just have proxy legacy nights? It can't be sanctioned but it's a lot of fun and got some locals into legacy more, eventually people start buying the actual cards when they find a deck they really like.

That's what we've been doing to build a base of players, actually. It's what's gotten us to this point (we have a consistent base of 8-10 players now who have actually built decks - hoooray). But starting in August, the shop is going to be taking ownership of legacy Mondays from us; and start sanctioning it. The thing is I do want to keep promoting interest from the pretty consistent 2-4 random people who come out with an interest, but no deck yet.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Walked posted:

The aim is to:

Ideally I'd like to come up with 1-3 decks under $500 that I can put together to lend out. It looks like two of the three are probably going to be Budget Turbo Depths, and Mono Red Burn (this is just too cheap not to have around). Looking for 1 or 2 more.

Manaless dredge?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

That's what we've been doing to build a base of players, actually. It's what's gotten us to this point (we have a consistent base of 8-10 players now who have actually built decks - hoooray). But starting in August, the shop is going to be taking ownership of legacy Mondays from us; and start sanctioning it. The thing is I do want to keep promoting interest from the pretty consistent 2-4 random people who come out with an interest, but no deck yet.

Kinda sucks they are taking it away from you guys, you'll definitely lose numbers. Our shop just does store credit prizes unsanctioned. I did something similar to what you're doing but with modern and it helped get people to the store and eventually buy a deck or two. Manaless dredge, burn, you can probably build a budget friendly version of deadguy ale if you wanted to? Goblinss? Smallpox too, maybe. Isn't there a budget version of high tide that doesn't use candelabras?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Kinda sucks they are taking it away from you guys, you'll definitely lose numbers. Our shop just does store credit prizes unsanctioned. I did something similar to what you're doing but with modern and it helped get people to the store and eventually buy a deck or two. Manaless dredge, burn, you can probably build a budget friendly version of deadguy ale if you wanted to? Goblinss? Smallpox too, maybe. Isn't there a budget version of high tide that doesn't use candelabras?

Solidarity. It uses Reset. It's monoblue, so it has FoW, Snapcaster, Flusterstorm, and is much worse without Dig Through Time.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

EvilBeard posted:

Solidarity. It uses Reset. It's monoblue, so it has FoW, Snapcaster, Flusterstorm, and is much worse without Dig Through Time.
I would recommend not doing Solidarity for this project. Giving someone an A+B combo deck or a stompy deck cold is one thing, but any Storm type combo deck is impractical to hand someone and expect them to figure out with 5 minutes of explanation.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Walked posted:

The aim is to:

Soldier Stompy

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

especially Solidarity, a deck that isn't good and if it wants to win, really has to eke out every percentage. I suspect lines like "naked snapcaster, snap my snapcaster, snapcaster back the snap to snap my snapcaster" to generate storm for a brain brain freeze to put stuff in your own graveyard is not going to be intuitive to a first time legacy player

Mezzanon posted:

Soldier Stompy

probably a bit too pricy for this experiment considering chalice and city of traitors prices

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Soldier Stompy

Any Chalice deck is probably a non-starter if you actually want to stick to the $500 price point.

Why yes I'm still salty about selling mine at $50, why do you ask?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

probably a bit too pricy for this experiment considering chalice and city of traitors prices

When I had the deck built for a hot second I was running Ancient Tombs instead. Cheaper, but still not that budget-friendly.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 25, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Walked posted:

The aim is to:

If it's under 500 each, how about The Gate?
Give people the joy of casting Hymn to Tourach

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Any Chalice deck is probably a non-starter if you actually want to stick to the $500 price point.

Why yes I'm still salty about selling mine at $50, why do you ask?

When I had the deck built for a hot second I was running Ancient Tombs instead. Cheaper, but still not that budget-friendly.

Don't Chalice decks run both City and Tomb?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks guys - this is a great set of decks to look at.

Probably going to do a few of these. I dont mind edging above $500 and dipping into my personal collection; I'm just trying to avoid handing a stranger a $1,500 - $3000+ deck but still fostering a legacy scene :)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
There's a modern 3k coming up next month and I'm currently waffling between bant spirits and Bogles.

I think spirits is better against the decks that tune to beat deaths shadow. I think bogles is better against grixis deaths shadow (especially since I run 3 suppression fields in the main)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

There's a modern 3k coming up next month and I'm currently waffling between bant spirits and Bogles.

I think spirits is better against the decks that tune to beat deaths shadow. I think bogles is better against grixis deaths shadow (especially since I run 3 suppression fields in the main)

Bogles tends to be pretty weak to hand disruption though, I don't know how great it would really be vs. shadow. Mulliganning with that deck already sucks and shadow plucking your one dude out of your hand is rough beats. You've been on spirits a while right? I'd stick with the more consistent option, seems pretty good against control too. Plus boggles is super lame to play for 6+ rounds.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I've found Spirits to be pretty good against Shadow anyways. Flying is a pain in the rear end when they're trying to nuke their life total and stabilize with a big ground beater, and all of your cards are potentially very live against them.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Voyager I posted:

I've found Spirits to be pretty good against Shadow anyways. Flying is a pain in the rear end when they're trying to nuke their life total and stabilize with a big ground beater, and all of your cards are potentially very live against them.

Spirits is surprisingly good against shadow; agreed.

I'd 100% pick Bant Spirits over Bogles. Every time.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

Don't Chalice decks run both City and Tomb?

The Soldier Stompy list I played a million years ago never played City of Traitors. It had 4 Chrome Mox and 4 Ancient Tomb for fast mana.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Bogles tends to be pretty weak to hand disruption though, I don't know how great it would really be vs. shadow. Mulliganning with that deck already sucks and shadow plucking your one dude out of your hand is rough beats. You've been on spirits a while right? I'd stick with the more consistent option, seems pretty good against control too. Plus boggles is super lame to play for 6+ rounds.

Voyager I posted:

Walked posted:

Spirits is surprisingly good against shadow; agreed.

I'd 100% pick Bant Spirits over Bogles. Every time.

You're all completely correct of course. and I think I'm around 55/45 against deaths shadow with spirits. The deck is great and I enjoy playing it. Although I am considering going down a phantasmal image for a singleton Kira in the main deck, as well as keeping the Singleton Runed Halo in the side.

I'm not a fan of the current Nebelghast Herald tech though, although I think it would make you even better against deaths shadow.

I'd like to find room for Unified Will, but I don't even know where to begin with cuts.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

You're all completely correct of course. and I think I'm around 55/45 against deaths shadow with spirits. The deck is great and I enjoy playing it. Although I am considering going down a phantasmal image for a singleton Kira in the main deck, as well as keeping the Singleton Runed Halo in the side.

I'm not a fan of the current Nebelghast Herald tech though, although I think it would make you even better against deaths shadow.

I'd like to find room for Unified Will, but I don't even know where to begin with cuts.

I'm a big fan of Kira in Spirits. She's better than a Captain against a single removal spell, obviously, and even vs. double removal, sometimes the card advantage is worth it over the extra damage you would do with a Captain (assuming the double removal doesn't come immediately, of course, then Kira is just better).

It's been a while since I played the deck, but Nebelgast Herald seems very suspect. I'm not really looking for more 3 drops, and I don't see it being better than the ones currently played.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
That's kind of the issue with Spirits right now - there just aren't enough good cards to really make it consistently powerful.

Assuming you're on the Bant build, these are the powerful cards-

4 x Noble Hierarch
4 x Mausoleum Wanderer

4 x Spell Queller
4 x Drogskol Captain
1 x Kira

4 x Path to Exile
4 x Collected Company

Rattlechains and Selfless Spirit are acceptable roleplayers in the two-drop slot, but they're not especially strong cards by themselves - two mana 2/1s are not how you win games of Modern. You can run 1-2 copies of Phantasmal Image as extra captains, with the caveat that they are frequently dead cards if you don't have the first captain to copy. I see a lot of decks with like three copies of Geist but I realllly don't like him in the deck. He's a powerful three drop that protects himself from removal but he just dies to all kinds of random poo poo on the ground that you are not going to contest.

Assuming 22-23 Lands, this leaves you with like 12 slots to fill and nothing especially exciting to put into them. I'd probably be fine with 2x each of Rattlechains, Selfless, and Image (with more Selfless in the sideboard), but even that leaves you with a lotta slots to make up and no obvious good cards to put into them, which is how we end up with weird tech like loving Nebelgast Herald in Modern and company decks with three copies of Steel of the Godhead.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Voyager I posted:

That's kind of the issue with Spirits right now - there just aren't enough good cards to really make it consistently powerful.

Assuming you're on the Bant build, these are the powerful cards-

Yeah, it feels like the deck would be great if it had one more card you were happy to run four copies of.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Wtf is playing Nebelgast Herald or Steel of the Godhead? 4 Rattlechains isn't even a question and 4 Selfless Spirit is fine if not exciting. It makes combat and sweepers a non-issue and is essentially 1W: counter most targeted removal. Kira has mostly been terrible but I can see her being good with Death's Shadow being the deck. Mausoleum Wanderer is also secretly one of the best cards in the deck in some matchups. The worst card is Geist, which I would love to be able to sideboard for something better, but even he just kills people in 2 or 3 hits. And with a lord/Hierarch or 2 he's pretty hard to fight in the ground. Eot Company into Geist + thing is going to do some real damage.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

uninverted posted:

Yeah, it feels like the deck would be great if it had one more card you were happy to run four copies of.

What the deck really wants is a good, aggressive two drop top play on curve. T2 Selfless is kind of okay because it at least sets up to protect a Spell Queller or Captain the next turn, but T2 EoT Rattlechains is supremely unexciting. The deck really wants to get ahead early and force your opponent to play into your Spell Quellers and hexproof triggers, but when you have a grand total of three power on the board after your second turn you're just not putting on that kind of pressure.

Rattlechains doesn't really want to be a turn two play, even though it costs two mana- it's much better coming down later to counter a removal spell, but right now the draws from Spirits very rarely let you set up those lines, and it's definitely not something you need as a 4x.

My fever dream is something like "UW 2/2 Flying, Other spirits gets +1/+1" but that will literally never happen.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Rattlechains is surprisingly good I think. In slower games he can counter a removal spell on one of your better creatures, and if he survives then you can also flash in a drogskol captain in response to your opponent trying to remove something. Or flash in a wanderer as a force spike, or flash in a selfless spirit in response to a boardwipe, or flash in a Geist at opponents eot, or flash in a Kira.

Rattlechains lets you play your whole deck at instant speed.

You absolutely want 4 rattlechains and your opponents usually have to remove them.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 26, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

Rattlechains is surprisingly good I think. In slower games he can counter a removal spell on one of your better creatures, and if he survives then you can also flash in a drogskol captain in response to your opponent trying to remove something. Or flash in a wanderer as a force spike, or flash in a selfless spirit in response to a boardwipe, or flash in a Geist at opponents eot, or flash in a Kira.

Rattlechains lets you play your whole deck at instant speed.

You absolutely want 4 rattlechains and your opponents usually have to remove them.

Yeah pretty much. I'm usually perfectly happy jamming it on turn 2 and never having to tap out on my turn again.

Mezzanon posted:

or flash in a Kira.

But don't do this and expect it to do what you want it to do.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I have to say that hasn't been my experience. Rattlechains is a good enabler with high blowout potential, but it spends way too much of it's time being a two power flyer for two mana for it to be something I'm running a playset of by desire. At the moment there's no better options, but if Spirits were a deeper tribe it would definitely be on the list of things to shave (though some copies would still make the list). The flash effect is also less valuable in a Bant list because it's mostly playing the aggro gameplan. There's strong incentive to play out your lords precombat to maximize damage and your best interaction pieces have flash already. It's good and it enables the occasional 'gotcha' moment, but it's arguable that it's consistently good enough to justify a card that is otherwise not very powerful and the additional copies of the effect are redundant.

I guess my issue is that the current roster of Bant Spirits often forces Rattlechains to be your turn two play, and it's not very good in that role. It's not putting much pressure on the board, and you're spectacularly unlikely to stuff anything with a Hexproof trigger, either from the Rattlechains itself or by following it up with a 'surprise' Drogskol Captain on turn 3, because people know the basic tricks of Spirits by now and you aren't killing them fast enough to make them risk walking into them. Nobody is going to try to push your Mausoleum Wanderer after you play a land and pass your second turn.

Also flash Kira doesn't work - she has to already be on the battlefield when they cast the spell in order to trigger.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah pretty much. I'm usually perfectly happy jamming it on turn 2 and never having to tap out on my turn again.

But don't do this and expect it to do what you want it to do.

Ah, can you tell that I've had the Kira cut for quite some time?

Although I think adding one in is worth sa just for the ad naus and removal heavy matches.

Edit: I've been putting in reps with ari lax's grixis deaths shadow build (the17 land version) just so that I can get better at playing against the deaths shadows decks. It's interesting (although I've been playing with a push/bolt split)

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 26, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So a few weeks ago I was talking about my sudden urge to play a Mardu deck. Fortunately for me, recent SCG events have seen a few Mardu variants place high, and I'm close to already having the cards for a couple of them. Any thoughts on the following?

Mardu Control

Mardu Reanimator

Mardu Walkers (probably too expensive for me)

That Reanimator list in particular is super-spicy IMO, but I question having only three reanimation targets in a format where Path is the most-played card. Then again, I could just build the Control list and then SB in the entire reanimation package once they've boarded out their single-target removal :getin:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

C-Euro posted:

So a few weeks ago I was talking about my sudden urge to play a Mardu deck. Fortunately for me, recent SCG events have seen a few Mardu variants place high, and I'm close to already having the cards for a couple of them. Any thoughts on the following?

Mardu Control

Mardu Reanimator

Mardu Walkers (probably too expensive for me)

That Reanimator list in particular is super-spicy IMO, but I question having only three reanimation targets in a format where Path is the most-played card. Then again, I could just build the Control list and then SB in the entire reanimation package once they've boarded out their single-target removal :getin:

Those look fun. I have everything for all of them. Might try out the PW one.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress BR Reanimator in its stupid rear end.

I'm playing Solemnity in Modern next week. They deserve it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

gently caress BR Reanimator in its stupid rear end.

I'm playing Solemnity in Modern next week. They deserve it.

play it in legacy instead

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
For those of you who can stand SaffronOlive's voice, he recently posted an interesting take on Mill with Fraying Sanity.

I admire his restraint on not running 4x Traumatize since he wouldn't stop talking about that combo for a while, but not running Hedron Crab or Visions of Beyond seems criminal to me. Gonna make room for those and then take it for a spin sometime.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

play it in legacy instead

Who needs that when I can just copy my Dark Depths anyway? Plus, I got to Tabernacle my Belcher opponent twice last week after he went with the empty plan.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Has anyone been playing around with Ramunap Excavator in Modern? I was recently hipped to some GW Company lists with it, either running stuff like Asuza and Courser of Kruphix (along with Horizon Canopy and Ghost Quarter) to get lots of value out of land-drops, or lists that are more akin to Hatebears with Thalias and Arbiters. Anyone else played around with it?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I've seen it be used to some cute effect in company shells, and it's definitely cool, though I think it remains to be seen if it's really consistently good. Being able to Ghost Quarter or Horizon Canopy every turn is potentially very powerful in fair matchups and Azusa can make it downright broken, but it means you're diluting the shell with more three mana cards that do very little by themselves and the Ghost Quarter grind just isn't fast enough against unfair decks unless you get the literal perfect draw.

FWIW I think I like the singleton Excavator in a Knight of the Reliquary deck more than I like going deep enough to run Azusa.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's starting to pop up a little more frequently on the usual netdecking places so maybe there's something to this, though they seem pretty split on the land drop value builds and the hater builds. We'll see, but right I wish I hadn't sold my Companys!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Been playing Mill A bit lately. I'm using flip Jason instead of snap. I've had a lot of weird games and could you some sideboard advice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

Been playing Mill A bit lately. I'm using flip Jason instead of snap. I've had a lot of weird games and could you some sideboard advice.

I'm running the following next time I'm out:

4 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Island
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
4 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp
3 Watery Grave
4 Archive Trap
3 Crypt Incursion
1 Damnation
3 Fatal Push
4 Fraying Sanity
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Hedron Crab
4 Mesmeric Orb
1 Murderous Cut
2 Snapcaster Mage
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond

Sideboard:
1 Damnation
3 Echoing Truth
2 Fulminator Mage
3 Negate
3 Ravenous Trap
1 Surgical Extraction
2 Thoughtseize

The SB is mostly new (based somewhat off of SaffronOlive's Fraying Sanity deck on Goldfish) because I realized I was getting too cute with 1-ofs. Thoughts:
-I've tried Ravenous Trap once or twice and have always been hesitant with graveyard-exiling effects (RIP, Leyline of the Void) because Crypt Incursion/Surgical/Visions all like having a full opposing graveyard. But I think being able to pick and choose when you exile it is useful when you need to get rid of a graveyard, especially when it's pretty easy to get that 0 cost. I lost a Living End match last week where I tapped out for a Glimpse like a dummy and got combo'd out EOT for my trouble, and I would have loved to have had Ravenous Trap then!
-Not having Hurkyl's Recall makes me sad but the main Affinity player at my store is moving away so I'm not sure how often I'll see Affinity anymore.
-Part of me wants to run Remand over Negate for the card draw and potential for trick shots with Surgical Extraction, but I don't know if that's better than having the countered spell get binned instead.
-SO was big into discard in his build but I dunno. But Thoughtseize is a good card and has to be worth running, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

legacy trip report: casting cruel bargain out of your death's shadow deck is good, clean family fun