Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Came here to see if people were freaking out about Iron Butterfly. RB seems like it's in a pretty weird place right now, but a song like this would never have been released back in RB 1-3 era so I guess that's something.

I haven't played in years but I still keep up with DLC because I've gotten pretty good at translating RB drum charts to proper sheet music. I keep transcribing old favorites from back in the day that I will theoretically cover on a real drum kit someday. I actually have an existing sheet for In A Gadda but this will give me an easier way to spot check it for accuracy.

Also haha, singer, you rest for 100 bars now. Bass player? Come back after 180 bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Takes No Damage posted:

Came here to see if people were freaking out about Iron Butterfly. RB seems like it's in a pretty weird place right now, but a song like this would never have been released back in RB 1-3 era so I guess that's something.

The redditors asking if anyone's ever heard of these guys are pretty funny.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
As someone who has never really indulged in that era of music and had never heard the whole song all the way through before yesterday, playing it on drums is a boring slog for 90% of it, the actual solo is kinda fun once you get the rhythm, and then there's the part full of fast moving rolls that I couldn't even discern how fast I was supposed to be going

I was pretty disappointed tbh

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

kumba posted:

As someone who has never really indulged in that era of music and had never heard the whole song all the way through before yesterday, playing it on drums is a boring slog for 90% of it, the actual solo is kinda fun once you get the rhythm, and then there's the part full of fast moving rolls that I couldn't even discern how fast I was supposed to be going

I was pretty disappointed tbh

One thing that surprised me the most about starting to learn real drums is that it somehow makes playing the same pattern for minutes at a time interesting because there's so much more to keep track of. They can't really account for any of that in the game but at least it helps explain why so many drum charts look like that.

Those fast rolls at the end were 32nd notes transitioning into 16th notes, then sixtuplets into 16th notes:

I'm looking forward to working up to playing this for real, but I agree a lot of the drum chart just isn't going to translate well to the game format. Or comedy option, break out the :catdrugs: and jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam on maaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsDXCT4Cgls

• The Black Keys - "Gold On The Ceiling"
• Wilson Phillips - "Hold On"

Also there's a 99 cent song already out this week

• Legitimate Front - "She"

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a vid of the chart of "She"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3MSqASlLvI

Drums look kinda repetitive but my favorite kind of beat so definitely a must buy. Drums for Gold on the Ceiling look boring but Hold On looks more fun than I would have imagined

2/3 ain't bad

edit: drummed to She and gently caress yeah it's super fun

kumba fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 18, 2017

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

We mostly sing harmony vocals when we play Rock Band, and just the other day I was thinking, hey, why isn't Hold On in the game? So, yeah, cool.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kumba posted:

Here's a vid of the chart of "She"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3MSqASlLvI

Drums look kinda repetitive but my favorite kind of beat so definitely a must buy. Drums for Gold on the Ceiling look boring but Hold On looks more fun than I would have imagined

2/3 ain't bad

edit: drummed to She and gently caress yeah it's super fun

Yeah Black Keys are usually pretty steady on the drums. They can still be fun to play but that kind of beat isn't going to translate well to RB. She on the other hand looks pretty great in game and is right up my alley for learning IRL. It is repetitive but factoring in dynamics there's still a good bit going on, and they develop the beat further into the song by adding fills and changing up some stuff so there's that to look forward to. That's it Legit Front, you're going on my list.

edit: If you like these kinds of beats check out Naive by The Kooks, feels pretty similar, as well as anything by De-Luxe or the Silversun Pickups.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 19, 2017

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/887824410253684736

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

No Tubthumping?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

This is a nicely-themed challenge; I bought some back-catalog tracks to play in it. How did I not own Higher Ground? Yeesh.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Wait a second.....you can get custom tracks on Xbox one?!?!

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
I don't think a -1 has ever stung quite as bad as this one. Stupid loving fill lane before the long part.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

TheJetCityFix posted:

Wait a second.....you can get custom tracks on Xbox one?!?!

Maybe in a few years, but all the tools and infrastructure and knowledge and documentation already exists for RB3 on X360, which is a more stable and feature-rich game, so there's virtually no incentive.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/PDPgaming/status/889561368906551296

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:f5: I should probably keep a replacement around. I'm accident-prone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If I'm able to get this, I'll finally be buying Rock Band 4. I didn't want to unless I could use my midi kit.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I'm tempted too. Was there any lag on the legacy controller-connected X360 controllers?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not that I could tell

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/889847765555187713
Juked by the Rewind icon. Thought we were getting new Rage for a second. :smith:

edit: vvv Yep, also that.

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 25, 2017

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

the most annoying RATM song to play on guitar, nice

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.
I can't believe they put DLC from The Temper Trap and didn't do "Sweet Disposition". That was the obvious choice!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Beelzebozo posted:

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/889847765555187713
Juked by the Rewind icon. Thought we were getting new Rage for a second. :smith:

edit: vvv Yep, also that.

I got a flashback to the GH2 song select screen with this tweet aesthetic :unsmith:

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Legacy adapters are available now on the PDP site. Who knows for how long. 2 per customer apparently.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Here's the link:
http://pdp.com/en/shop/rock-bandtm-wired-legacy-adapter
Possibly will be the last batch on their site and then one more going up on Amazon next month.

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 28, 2017

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Got mine, so now I can order the game and the wireless adapter! Can't wait to play this game again, but I wasn't going to do so without the midi drumkit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So doublepost, since I've been out of this game series for a while. I'm going to buy the Rock Band 4 + Wireless adapter for my old controls (which the spreadsheet on RB's site says will work) for $45 on Amazon. But I see there's also Rivals. Should I just buy that expansion as well, and skip over 4 entirely? Also, did they ever allow for you to import the Rock Band 3 disk songs?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

You want Rivals, which will include the main RB4 game and the $30 expansion that adds a boatload of songs and a handful of new modes.
You don't need to get RB4 standalone if you get the rivals pack.
However, I dunno if it's possible to get a wireless adapter and rivals bundle.

You can import RB3 disc songs, it's an option in the in game store for $20.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Kaboobi posted:

However, I dunno if it's possible to get a wireless adapter and rivals bundle.

I just looked up on Amazon and eBay, and it looks like I might as well just buy Rock Band 4 with the adapter. That's $45 new, and the adapter is also $45 for standalone (on ebay, It's twice the price), and possibly used.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

IUG posted:

I just looked up on Amazon and eBay, and it looks like I might as well just buy Rock Band 4 with the adapter. That's $45 new, and the adapter is also $45 for standalone (on ebay, It's twice the price), and possibly used.

Then yeah, do that, shell out for the Rivals expansion if you want it (the new modes and a bunch of the songs are great, Black Corridor is one of my favorite new songs), and then the RB3 export is $20 on top of that if you want it.

It's super easy to redownload your songs on XBone now too, after you install the game just go to My Games and Apps, press start on RB4 and select Manage Game, and all of your songs should be listed under "Ready to Install" with a handy "download all" button.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yeah Black Corridor is extremely fun on drums

Downloaded that Shins song after seeing it was a spotlight, that was the easiest pro drum sightread FC of my life

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I have now bought two Xbox One Rock Band instrument adapters and I still don't have an Xbox One.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

You bastard - I haven't been able to snag even one. :( I'll keep trying though.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It's still in stock! http://pdp.com/en/rock-bandtm-wired-legacy-adapter

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

He's trying to get the MadCatz wireless adapter in the EU. Those have evidently become somewhat hard to find since they folded. Amazon third party sellers are scalping them for $50 in the US. I wanna say I paid like $10 or $15 on launch day.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

After a good gap, it's that time again. The demo and full game for Rock Band Blitz will be coming down on or before August 28th. Released in 2012 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation®3, it's not backwards compatible on either Xbox One or PlayStation®4(nor will it be in the future), but all 25 songs on the soundtrack can be brought over to Rock Band 4 at no additional charge. The steps for that process can be found here.

Speaking of the songs, all 25 songs featured on Rock Band Blitz were released as standard DLC after the game came out. Those versions of the songs will remain up until further notice.

rip

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I highly recommend that Blitz pack to anyone who's on the fence. There are enough good songs in it to justify the pack even though you can part it out as normal DLC. And there's several really fun charts in there that I never would've purchased individually. I almost wish they'd do more ~20 song assorted packs to force me into getting stuff I'd enjoy but would never buy piecemeal.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Blitz was a ton of fun. Last few times I've hooked up my 360 have been just to play some Blitz.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/892384453963677696
Latest sign I'm getting :corsair: – how often I've never even heard the names of the artists in the new Rock Band DLC announcements :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I don't recognize the names nor the music itself after looking them up, but they both sound pretty fun to drum so whatever I'm sold