Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's why it would be funny to me if all his dreams came true, only for the bank to come in and basically make him a ceremonial figurehead while they drained the country of all its assets.

I have a feeling he'll be more than ok with that along as he does have a certain degree of power. Littlefiner seems like the type that always needs to serve someone, if only to give himself someone to scheme against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

Can you sell ice zombies?
The market's bearish right now, forecasters are expecting a glut in supply very soon.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

If the bank required any property to be put up as security for the loan, then that property already has a lien on it.

If the borrower defaults, then the bank can foreclose on the lien, take possession and then sell or otherwise dispose of the asset to satisfy the debt.

So either the castles already have a lien, and could come up at a foreclosure auction

or

these were unsecured loans - in which case, the banks are screwed. But Littlefinger is gonna have a bad day when he check his CreditKarma app for his free credit score.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why did Qyburn act like a big crossbow was some amazing technological advancement? They have little ones already.

Also why don't they have catapults or trebuchets?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GRRM is rolling over in his cheetos, a loving ballista is the killer weapon against dragons

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I promise GRRM gives not one gently caress about the show.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Invalid Validation posted:

I promise GRRM gives not one gently caress about the show.

Um, excuse me

I promise you he cares a great deal about the money the show is making him

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

rage-saq posted:

It's almost as bad as all of the goons wondering BUT BUT BUT THAT WASN'T NYMERIA WHAT DOES IT MEAN. When the end of the show the little after episode recap that D&D always do and one of them says THIS IS EXACTLY, SPECIFICALLY, UNEQUIVOCALLY WHAT EVERY SECOND OF THAT SCENE MEANS. SORRY WE SHOT IT POORLY, WOLVES AREN'T GOOD AT ACTING/EMOTING.
To be fair that scene was pretty poorly translated from what was probably a fairly good storyboard/idea, they must have gotten some lovely footage and that was the best thing they could edit together and blow up a CGI wolf. Like, they could have had the same start to the scene, but at night time, and Nymeria decides to sit and stay with Arya overnight, and then when Arya awakes she is gone.

Exactly what I was thinking. That scene was total garbage, just a bunch of jump-cuts to close-ups of dog eyes. Really awkward. I would have done it like you said, have Nymeria stay for awhile or something but then take off. Or have Nymeria about to bite her even and then some people show up and she runs off instead. But that weird staredown just didn't work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

steinrokkan posted:

Yara was a character for a total of two episodes or so. She's obviously not dead, but she's not some key player whose death would derail the whole show.

You're loving missing the point dude. I didn't say "Yara cannot die". I said "yara cannot die offscreen". That's a big fuckin difference!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

loving Stannis died off-screen. At this point, who knows!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
So did the Blackfish and he was way cooler than Yara.

Of course, the Lannister soldiers and Brienne could be lying and Stannis and the Blackfish might be helping some hippies build a church somewhere.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Elman posted:

Stannis is just regrouping.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Stannis is the lord of light, it was all just an act to get the right people together to defeat the white walkers.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Stannis, Gendry, and the First Sword of Bravos are chilling with Ned in Dorne drinking sangria all day laughing about not having to fight ice zombies along with double sword guy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Exactly what I was thinking. That scene was total garbage, just a bunch of jump-cuts to close-ups of dog eyes. Really awkward. I would have done it like you said, have Nymeria stay for awhile or something but then take off. Or have Nymeria about to bite her even and then some people show up and she runs off instead. But that weird staredown just didn't work.

Yeah that scene was terrible, especially since it was almost entirely unclear what it meant. Did it mean Arya is no longer a Friend of the North? Or was it more like Nymeria was saying "Yo little sis, you got this, you don't need me, I got a fam now"?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

Yeah that scene was terrible, especially since it was almost entirely unclear what it meant. Did it mean Arya is no longer a Friend of the North? Or was it more like Nymeria was saying "Yo little sis, you got this, you don't need me, I got a fam now"?

And a lot of people took it as just "okay that wasn't actually Nymeria that was some other dire wolf" while other people took it as "that's Nymeria but she's not domesticated like how Arya isn't a lady or whatever"

So obviously it was pretty muddy in its meaning.

Elman posted:

He was dealt a mortal blow on-screen. Close enough!

The mountain got a mortal blow and came back, but that just means that stannis could come back, not that Yara could get killed offscreen. Stannis isn't coming back

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stannis zombie would be good for some laughs. Especially if Brienne just split his head down the middle or something.

Zombie Shireen is probably out unless another zombie wants to hold a jar for her ashes.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

precision posted:

So the wife and I usually close out of HBO Go as soon as credits roll, but we kept it open this time and they explained that it was a nod to Season 1 Arya where Ned was telling her she could dress up in pretty dresses and be a beautiful Queen one day. Arya's response was "that's not me" then turned around and walked away. They said that scene with Nymeria was the same. Basically Nymeria is home with her fellow wolves and it's just not her to be tied to a human any longer.

e:

What rage-saq said

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

weird Asian candy posted:

So the wife and I usually close out of HBO Go as soon as credits roll, but we kept it open this time and they explained that it was a nod to Season 1 Arya where Ned was telling her she could dress up in pretty dresses and be a beautiful Queen one day. Arya's response was "that's not me" then turned around and walked away. They said that scene with Nymeria was the same. Basically Nymeria is home with her fellow wolves and it's just not her to be tied to a human any longer.

e:

What rage-saq said

I wonder if they thought they were clever for reusing a random line from Season 1 that no one remembered. I guess they did. Whoever came up with that idea should have been thrown out of the room and the door locked behind him.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Throw them on a boat and force them to row around in the sea for four years and counting

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why does Euron want to be Prince though, Princes get to gently caress queens but that's about it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

weird Asian candy posted:

e:

What rage-saq said

Oh, well that makes sense I suppose.

Dolphin posted:

Why does Euron want to be Prince though, Princes get to gently caress queens but that's about it

I suspect that's probably his only motivation.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

My favorite part of the episode was Hot Pie and Arya crossing paths again and her basically going 100% Hound in that inn. Followed closely by Euron offing the Sand Snakes who turned out to be pretty lovely combatants.

And man I know he got some new digs and maybe lost some weight but I still don't care for Euron's actor.

Edit: somebody hit the nail on the head earlier when they said it was the decision to merge Euron and Victarion into a single character.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 25, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Dolphin posted:

So you can ride down the bridge of your ship, crushing someone along the way and arriving all metal like before loving people up...that scene was hilarious!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"That's not you, which is like what I said to my father 6 years ago when he told me I would get married, by which I meant that it was not in my nature to live such a life. It is much the same for this direwolf in particular, Nymeria, the one that used to be mine."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

some guy on the bus posted:

I wonder if they thought they were clever for reusing a random line from Season 1 that no one remembered. I guess they did. Whoever came up with that idea should have been thrown out of the room and the door locked behind him.

That has Dave Hill written all over it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

You're loving missing the point dude. I didn't say "Yara cannot die". I said "yara cannot die offscreen". That's a big fuckin difference!

Syriously

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Wait, am I the only one who actually understood the Arya/Nymeria scene? Why would it be another direwolf (which just happened to obviously recognize her and kept the others from attacking... for some reason?), the writing's stupid but it's not that stupid.

Did people really need her to say "You could come back home with me, girl... Oh, I suppose you aren't going to choose that because that isn't you, which is to say that life isn't for you, which is to say you do not wish to be my pet anymore and we must now go our separate ways."

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Golli posted:

If the bank required any property to be put up as security for the loan, then that property already has a lien on it.

If the borrower defaults, then the bank can foreclose on the lien, take possession and then sell or otherwise dispose of the asset to satisfy the debt.

So either the castles already have a lien, and could come up at a foreclosure auction

or

these were unsecured loans - in which case, the banks are screwed. But Littlefinger is gonna have a bad day when he check his CreditKarma app for his free credit score.
:lol: this is Westeros, not modern capitalism. There is no enforcement mechanism for the Iron Bank to foreclose on castles. It is mentioned in the show several times that if you fail to repay the Iron Bank their enforcement mechanism is funding your adversaries. There was also some implication that they'd hire the Faceless Men to take out a leader who stiffed them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought for a moment that Arya's direwolf was going to bite her head off tbh. Now that would be classic GRRM

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Jesus the wolf scene wasn't difficult to understand!

"I'm going home, come with me!"
HUGE dire wolf leaves with its wild family
"That's not you."

Goons: like, I don't get it? Was it not the same wolf? What's with these close ups? Man, the writing is really bad!

That's NOT you, as in that's NOT who you are. You can't be domesticated, just like I couldn't be domesticated all those years ago. Oh my LOL

Great episode, great show.

Edit: Parasol Prophet gets it! Honestly I reckon people are just poo poo posting instead of paying attention, then get confused

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

bawfuls posted:

:lol: this is Westeros, not modern capitalism. There is no enforcement mechanism for the Iron Bank to foreclose on castles. It is mentioned in the show several times that if you fail to repay the Iron Bank their enforcement mechanism is funding your adversaries. There was also some implication that they'd hire the Faceless Men to take out a leader who stiffed them.

:thejoke:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
So... was that wolf supposed to be Gendry???

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

They referenced something from season ONE?!

loving PEDANTS

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

gently caress it is real hard to tell in these threads, with people unironically missing blatantly obvious poo poo all the time

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Only Cat, your sister, that I pined for since childhood, and killed Ned because he was in my way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

some guy on the bus posted:

lol rewarding people for paying attention is a goon TV watcher's worst nightmare. Anyway even without remembering the specific line, I understood the point, as did almost everyone else in the whole wide world

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

Jesus the wolf scene wasn't difficult to understand!

"I'm going home, come with me!"
HUGE dire wolf leaves with its wild family
"That's not you."

Goons: like, I don't get it? Was it not the same wolf? What's with these close ups? Man, the writing is really bad!

That's NOT you, as in that's NOT who you are. You can't be domesticated, just like I couldn't be domesticated all those years ago. Oh my LOL

Great episode, great show.

Edit: Parasol Prophet gets it! Honestly I reckon people are just poo poo posting instead of paying attention, then get confused

I enjoyed the episode :shrug:

I lol'd at the greyscale into stew scene...that was pretty good.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I feel like next time we see hotpie he's gonna be a corpse. "I'm a survivor"

My secret hope is by the end of it Hotpie has a happy ending as a renown chef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe Ayras wolf ate Danny Targenian.

• Locked thread