Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'd tell Kyrie to pound sand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, he seems like the biggest victim of unrealistic contract expectations this offseason. I don't know you can say the Mavs are "lowballing" him when the market has not offered him the contract that his agent told him he could get. Whoever his agent is should probably be promptly fired after all this.

Basically this, a lot of people myself included assumed he'd get the rookie max if only because some ambitious dumbass team would force the mavs hand. Turns out that was wrong.

I do think it's very mavs to get into a contact dispute with a center who loves it here, after the Tyson Chandler stuff

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Their return on a trade for Kyrie is at it's highest point right now and will only decline as time passes. He did the Cavs a favor, in a way, by asking for a trade instead of playing it his contact and leaving in free agency.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yeah I guess I never considered the possibility of the Cavs telling Kyrie to gently caress off because I just assumed new GM + Dan Gilbert is an impulsive and terrible owner

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Their return on a trade for Kyrie is at it's highest point right now and will only decline as time passes. He did the Cavs a favor, in a way, by asking for a trade instead of playing it his contact and leaving in free agency.

That almost doesn't matter because even if they get a good haul for him, Lebron is almost certainly gone next offseason which means they are rebuilding anyway.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Yikes !! That is not starter money (from a players' pov)

14.5 million per year seems like starter money still, I donno

Noel's injury risk makes it even more reasonable

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

14.5 million a year seems fair for a Center who is extremely limited offensively and doesn't really rebound all that well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said from a players pov

It's there even in my post

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

I said from a players pov

It's there even in my post

What, because a few stiffs got paid more than they should have last year? If Noel thinks he's worth more than 14.5 a year that's why he hasn't signed a deal and godspeed to him but he's wrong

Doesn't really matter what the player thinks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I agree

I don't even see him as a starter on a good team. Maybe . As mentioned rebounding and shooting are projects still.

I'm glad the sixers didn't sign him .

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

I agree

I don't even see him as a starter on a good team. Maybe . As mentioned rebounding and shooting are projects still.

Yeah, man, the Sixers would be in a weird spot next year if Noel had been signed. His timeline was never going to work with the team so it was definitely best for him to go. Someday I hope he figures it all out but I just get the feeling like he's going to be a bundle of unrealized potential for his whole career

Is Carlisle a big man whisperer too or does that extend only to wayward guards?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

That almost doesn't matter because even if they get a good haul for him, Lebron is almost certainly gone next offseason which means they are rebuilding anyway.

Getting (multiple) good players + potential picks doesn't matter because they'll need good players and picks to effect a rebuild..gotcha..
I honestly don't know what your point is, it's a nonsensical reply

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

I agree

What's a fair contract for a good backup center these days?

I mean, I know it wasn't going to work out because Nerlen's is still young and prideful, but I thought that he was an ideal backup, at least on paper. The Sixers defense wouldn't miss a beat with him anchoring the team for like 20-25 minutes a game, plus he would've looked a lot more efficient on offense with Simmons and Fultz (if they live up to hype) initiating.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lebron's a strange guy

https://twitter.com/brohrbach/status/889828969318625281

Sounds an awful lot like Bill Simmons's Secret

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

3-8 million

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lebron's a strange guy

https://twitter.com/brohrbach/status/889828969318625281

Sounds an awful lot like Bill Simmons's Secret

The gently caress is he talking about, that's some weird rear end rambling

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

I don't think there is a market for backup centers, tbh. Most teams seem content giving that role to a D-league project type. Considering the league is going smaller, and most backup centers are going to be playing 12-18 minutes a game anyway.

You saw all these teams who dumped 10+ million on backup centers who barely played last year and I have to imagine most of them are kicking themselves.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

I mean, I know it wasn't going to work out because Nerlen's is still young and prideful, but I thought that he was an ideal backup, at least on paper. The Sixers defense wouldn't miss a beat with him anchoring the team for like 20-25 minutes a game, plus he would've looked a lot more efficient on offense with Simmons and Fultz (if they live up to hype) initiating.

Agree

The problem with backup contract for Noel is the years IMHO

back up centers are so fungible that you should never sign one to a long term deal. It's like back up catchers in baseball.

So if Noel was happy being a backup (he would not be) and he's happy taking a one year deal (he wouldn't ) then sure sign him . But that wasn't reality.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ammanas posted:

3-8 million

I'd say 8-15 depending on the years

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ammanas posted:

3-8 million

The gently caress is he talking about, that's some weird rear end rambling

"When you introduce a male and a female together, and they decide to get married and have a kid, now you have a blessing and you've done your job." is one of the strangest things I have ever read

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Fam this is cold

https://twitter.com/klng_matt/status/889850250235703296

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Find me a wife please Lebron James

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah, man, the Sixers would be in a weird spot next year if Noel had been signed. His timeline was never going to work with the team so it was definitely best for him to go. Someday I hope he figures it all out but I just get the feeling like he's going to be a bundle of unrealized potential for his whole career

Is Carlisle a big man whisperer too or does that extend only to wayward guards?

Well, Brendan Haywood, Ian mahinmi (who got the shot that made me realize the mavs were gonna win the finals tbf), zaza, bogut was terrible, not a good list

That said Tyson Chandler was great and his only job was to play defense and finish lobs in spread pnr. I'm optimistic about Noel's fit in the team but he's still developing so I'm glad the mavs aren't caught severely overpaying

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I want Carmelo on the Thunder so I can purchase historical novelty Melo Thunder apparel. I think this should be the prime motivation for fans in any trade or FA scenario.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I don't know why the Knicks or the Suns would do that

Google "Tyson Chandler contract" and then send a tweet to Spike Lee asking him what he thinks of Dolan

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Fuuuuuucckkkkkkkk!!!! Hahahahahahahaha!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

euphronius posted:

I'd say 8-15 depending on the years

The markets nowhere near there for backups, the position has been remarkably denigrated, the top 3 centers in the league are generally not even the most important players on their team

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

:perfect:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

I want Carmelo on the Thunder so I can purchase historical novelty Melo Thunder apparel. I think this should be the prime motivation for fans in any trade or FA scenario.

I am still searching for a cavs Shaq jersey.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ammanas posted:

The markets nowhere near there for backups, the position has been remarkably denigrated, the top 3 centers in the league are generally not even the most important players on their team

Feliciano 4/32 = 8aav
Musclala 2/10 = 5aav
Alan Williams 3/17 = 5.5 aav
Olynk = 4/50+ = we will say 13 aav
Dedmond = 2/14 = 7 aav
Pau = 3/48 = 16 aav . A quasi starter backup
Greg Monroe = 1/17
Amir Johnson = 1/11
Spencer hawes = 1/6.5

Len hasn't signed yet

I think my numbers are accurate

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

derrick rose is making less money than ron baker

i make less money than derek rose

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

lol @ Kyrie just unfollowing LeBron

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

vaginal facsimile posted:

i make less money than derek rose

What a loser!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ammanas posted:

Davis and Towns?

I guess Davis is technically playing more 4 now with Cousins and Towns is going to be behind Jimmy for this year but last year alone this was wrong.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Jordan would never do that

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Dieng signed a 4/64 contract which I think is a good comparison for Noel. They are both borderline starter/bench bigs who are somewhat one dimensional. Dieng is more of a rim protector while Noel is more rangey defensively, on offense they each have a couple skills but are probably only scoring 10 assisted points. Dieng is a good rebounder on both sides though, so I'd pay him somewhat more, though he is a few years older.

Something in the 12-14 range for Noel seems about right to me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

IcePhoenix posted:

Davis and Towns?

I guess Davis is technically playing more 4 now with Cousins and Towns is going to be behind Jimmy for this year but last year alone this was wrong.

I think the general observation is that all the teams with all-star wings were in the playoffs and almost all the all-star centers were in the lottery. Gobert is basically the only team out of 16 that is a Center and the best player on his team.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Paperback Writer posted:

I reckon that tears it, then. Some things you just can't repair.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Paperback Writer posted:

Are there any recorded cases of social media signals being wrong? I'm not really joking, I'm pretty serious here. It seems like you could basically construct an entire predictive data modeling of what players real internal preferences are in free agency based on what they do on Twitter and Instagram and others. Like a few months ago didn't Gordon Hayward accidentally set his Twitter to green shamrock or something or was that his wife? In any event, it's really hilarious and beat writers should literally just be tracking the multi-variable social media connections of athletes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Dieng signed a 4/64 contract which I think is a good comparison for Noel. They are both borderline starter/bench bigs who are somewhat one dimensional. Dieng is more of a rim protector while Noel is more rangey defensively, on offense they each have a couple skills but are probably only scoring 10 assisted points. Dieng is a good rebounder on both sides though, so I'd pay him somewhat more, though he is a few years older.

Something in the 12-14 range for Noel seems about right to me.

It's kind of funny that at the time it was seen as a massive discount to get Gorgui on that deal and not even a year later it's considered a bit of an overpay by some of the same people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/889877177424064513

Should I be rooting for anyone in particular or are these dudes all the 15th men/camp fodder they look like

• Locked thread