Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

I sit within earshot of a person that belches a couple times a day, and another person that will argue with their partner about the latest bill that came in the mail.

If I get a hangnail or something, gently caress it, I will clip it at my desk. Life happens. :colbert:
I have a coworker who is constantly clearing his throat and snorting and hacking and he won't ever just blow his god drat loving nose, so I will clip my fingernails at work and if he doesn't like it he can gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

DizzyBum posted:

I'm sorry, I'm this guy sometimes. :(

I really try not to do this, but I have an awful nail-biting habit and if I don't clip and file my nails I'll start biting them instead. I'll try to step out to the bathroom to do it, but sometimes I just need to fix my nail right now so I'll do a few quick clips above my wastebasket and then I'm good for the rest of the day.

I don't bite my nails, but sometimes I'll be typing and can't stand that my nails are a tad overgrown and have to clip them. If it helps, I do wait until my co-workers are out of the office (or, like you, go in to the restroom), since I know the *clip* *clip* *clip* sound can be annoying. I also have these nail clippers, which do a good job of keeping the nails from flying everywhere. http://a.co/j8beRSr

xzzy posted:

I sit within earshot of a person that belches a couple times a day,
The co-worker that sits closest to me slurps his sodas quite loudly then does the "aaaahhh" afterwards. He often belches quite audibly throughout the day. He and another co-worker often talk/joke loudly (loud enough that I can hear them even with earbuds in).

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Pissing me off is chat software demanding to be run out of appdata. Just be a real loving program and install to a trusted location. What benefit do they get from trying to be a trendy cool 'light' installation that ends up looking like malware?

Especially Cisco Spark, which dumps the exe in a folder named after the version number. Updates break the whitelist gpo. loving why?!?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Pissing me off is chat software demanding to be run out of appdata. Just be a real loving program and install to a trusted location. What benefit do they get from trying to be a trendy cool 'light' installation that ends up looking like malware?

Especially Cisco Spark, which dumps the exe in a folder named after the version number. Updates break the whitelist gpo. loving why?!?

I run into this too often, usually when it's really inconvenient.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Microsoft has increasingly (and for good reason) locked down the things that applications installed in Program Files are allowed to do.

lovely dev studios, when their poo poo software doesn't work due to these lockdowns, will force install elsewhere in other places without those restrictions. You know, instead of updating their poo poo software to gain access properly and safely.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ok so slack and discord and other indie teams get a pass and I would expect hiccups using their software. But Cisco has the money to fix these problems. There's no excuse for lovely dev from a Cisco app that they try to market as a higher end corporate option to the indie guys.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

I can't believe I'm hearing this absolute nonsense. People at all levels, including those with vastly more damaging information than some server janitor, get hosed over all the time, because that's business and life isn't fair. The proper recourse, if you feel you cannot forgive the offense, is to quit for a better job, not sabotage a bunch of poo poo that will only be restored from backups anyway, as you're blacklisted from the industry for the rest of your life... burning bridges is for children, we're supposed to be professionals here.
I was engaging in hyperbole, there, but honestly, if I were a manager and pulled that poo poo on one of my employees, I would fully expect the quality of their work to drop substantially. You can't just poo poo on someone like that and expect there to not be consequences. And I would hope I would have the decency to tell them "if you need a reference, here's my contact info." The "burn down the network" thing would be a concern, too, but not nearly as much of one.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ok so slack and discord and other indie teams get a pass and I would expect hiccups using their software. But Cisco has the money to fix these problems. There's no excuse for lovely dev from a Cisco app that they try to market as a higher end corporate option to the indie guys.

When you build on top of Chrome, you get all of Chrome's lovely quirks, like installing in user folders and opening a berjillion processes. But hey, at least you can write your app in Javascript instead of learning about data types!

Don't know if Spark was built the same way.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We had a power failure at our datacenter. A lot of our servers went down. Too many. I'd planned on doing some maintenance to a webportal around the time it went down, and it's very important that this webportal remain up, because it is being used as a demo for potential investors in our company. My coworker decides that Friday night would be a good time to install Windows Updates, but he'd let me reboot the server during my maintenance. My boss also decides to change up the cipher suites and run some loving third-party tool at some point, and he doesn't even know what the tool does, but he also makes these changes without rebooting. I uninstalled the July 11 security update and reverted all the loving poo poo his tool did and made the Schannel errors stop, he still couldn't log in to the webportal. I tried a bunch of things but ended up emailing the web devs, where it is currently past midnight, asking them to check everything out as soon as possible, but it turns out my loving boss was using a password for a different web portal the whole time! Whoops! Maybe I should take tomorrow off!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Change log 7/19: implemented change log

Change log 7/20:. I dunno I did whatever the gently caress

Change log 7/21: oh yeah and there were maybe 600 changes between today and last year that didn't make the change log

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This morning I got a call from my boss that a DBA reported that a service wasn't working and to get into the office. Didn't get any emails or further information. Came into the office, boss was on a call with the DBA, I walked in and raised my voice at them for providing me with no information but still asking me to fix a problem. DBA got extremely butthurt that I would deign to talk to him like that. While on the call the DBA explains that he ran an upgrade on this service that might fix it, without telling us, and is stopping/starting the service, without saying anything. I don't know what he wants from IT, because it sounds like if he's going to fix these problems on his own then he should fix these problems on his own.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Also, managers aren't eligible for the 'refer someone and get $500 if they get hired'. :argh:

That's kinda standard though. I guess because you'd have too much influence on the hiring process. Imagine if it applied for people you yourself were going to be the hiring manager for :sun:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just got in a weird argument with the HR person because she insisted that a particular cubicle seated three people, when it only seats two. This is a small office with only 22 people in it so I don't know how she could get this wrong.

I walked across the floor, took a picture and brought it back to her. A cubicle with a seating position on each end and a counter in the center for looking at plans and other large documents. There's no room to squeeze in an additional person. She looks at it, points to one end and says "and there's another seat on this end."

There isn't. You can see from the goddamn photo that I just took that there is no third workspace. It's two goddamn seats and two only, and two forevermore.

She brings up the name of someone that once sat in that cubicle over a year ago. Yes, she sat there. Yes, David sat there. Yes, Julia sat there. But they did not all sit there at the same time because there are only two workspaces. I explain the varied but boring history of everyone who has occupied those two seats over the last two years. She laughs and then says "But this is really strange because it's on the plans, and I could swear..."

I too could swear, that she could walk her lazy behind over and look at the goddamn thing with her own goddamn eyes.

Sweet baby jesus the stupid poo poo that people dig their heels in over.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

anthonypants posted:

This morning I got a call from my boss that a DBA reported that a service wasn't working and to get into the office. Didn't get any emails or further information. Came into the office, boss was on a call with the DBA, I walked in and raised my voice at them for providing me with no information but still asking me to fix a problem. DBA got extremely butthurt that I would deign to talk to him like that. While on the call the DBA explains that he ran an upgrade on this service that might fix it, without telling us, and is stopping/starting the service, without saying anything. I don't know what he wants from IT, because it sounds like if he's going to fix these problems on his own then he should fix these problems on his own.

It's like a DBA's job is to administer the DB or something spooky.

Do DBA's think they're in IT or IS or a special :yayclod: ?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Next week my teams new manager is starting. He has 0 experience managing developers, all his previous work was as a project manager and QA manager. He lied off his rear end in his interview and our glorious CTO made him a job offer within the hour, before any real investigation of the guy had been done. Someone who used to work with him has plenty of bad stuff to say about him.

gently caress, time to accelerate plan "get the gently caress out of here".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MrMoo posted:

It's like a DBA's job is to administer the DB or something spooky.

Do DBA's think they're in IT or IS or a special :yayclod: ?

Most DBAs I have talked to have claimed they were developers, not part of operations at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

feedmegin posted:

That's kinda standard though. I guess because you'd have too much influence on the hiring process. Imagine if it applied for people you yourself were going to be the hiring manager for :sun:

It's because "It's part of your duty as a manager to encourage great people to join the company", so why should they pay us to do that

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Just talked to someone in the help desk who I am fairly sure does not know how to use a computer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rackspace hosted email.

Want a new account? You can't just add an account anymore. You have to upgrade the account, add mailboxes to your plan, then create the accounts.

If you remove that account, the mailbox stays on your account and you have to call them to remove it :haw:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Comcast used to operate a analog only cable TV system in the town where our corp. office is located. They never offered digital services of any kind during their ownership. Only approx 40 lovely Analog channels.
They offloaded the system to another local incumbent provider several years ago, who promptly abandoned most of it in place and moved customers over to their newer digital system.

Someone apparently forgot to tell the Comcast marketing department about this. They keep sending flyers, coupons, posters, etc.. to local businesses trying to get them to sign up for Comcast business services. Services that they don't provide in the area, and never have.

Today we received a tabloid sized flyer and a plastic postcard with punch out coupon. They also occasionally call...

It's a huge waste of time and resources IMHO, but Comcast is a horrible company... so gently caress em! Let them waste their time and money.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

stevewm posted:

Comcast used to operate a analog only cable TV system in the town where our corp. office is located. They never offered digital services of any kind during their ownership. Only approx 40 lovely Analog channels.
They offloaded the system to another local incumbent provider several years ago, who promptly abandoned most of it in place and moved customers over to their newer digital system.

Someone apparently forgot to tell the Comcast marketing department about this. They keep sending flyers, coupons, posters, etc.. to local businesses trying to get them to sign up for Comcast business services. Services that they don't provide in the area, and never have.

Today we received a tabloid sized flyer and a plastic postcard with punch out coupon. They also occasionally call...

It's a huge waste of time and resources IMHO, but Comcast is a horrible company... so gently caress em! Let them waste their time and money.

I speak for the trees for the trees have no words!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People who insist on telephone extension numbering being sequential and following some sort of pattern :argh:

Nothing like having to renumber a ton of people because a new person started and they're deemed to be slightly more senior than a person with a lower number. Yes it's loving dumb.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

People who insist on telephone extension numbering being sequential and following some sort of pattern :argh:

Nothing like having to renumber a ton of people because a new person started and they're deemed to be slightly more senior than a person with a lower number. Yes it's loving dumb.

Do departments by 100's

Or 1000's depending on how big your company is

Then just buy all the DID's from your local phone exchange

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"The accounting software sends duplicate copies of an invoice when you forward an previous email to a customer"

Right. It sends an HTML copy and PDF copy. It's the same invoice, just two different formats.

*ticket closed*

*ticket re-opened*

"Why did you close this? It wasn't resolved."

Did you not see my last message? It sends two formats, same message.

"Why does it send two? This is a bug that should be fixed!"

ITS THE WAY TEH loving SOFTWARE WORKS END OF STORY

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

"The accounting software sends duplicate copies of an invoice when you forward an previous email to a customer"

Right. It sends an HTML copy and PDF copy.

I discovered yesterday that when our POS system sends PDF attachments it sets the MIME content-type to "application/octet-stream", instead of "application/pdf". 99% of the time this isn't a problem as nearly all mail clients look at the file extension as well. But not the Android and iOS versions of Yahoo Mail apparently. They ignore the file extension entirely and only go by the content-type, meaning customers cannot open the PDF attachment at all from the Yahoo Mail app.

I've also learned we have a shocking number of customers still using Yahoo mail who don't have a computer.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Explaining to olds how modern telephone systems work is just great, they basically want presence status to see what everyone's doing to control calls.

The crux of the issue is the Do Not Disturb IP phone handset buttons don't feed back to into the phone system, so you get situations where someone will get dialled and be met with "lol call failed" and presence status won't be accurate.

There are two simple non-negotiable options:
- Push out handset configuration to completely disable DND button function for ALL phones, force everyone to use softphone interface to control hardphone and status
- Remove handsets from everyone, force everyone to use softphone interface to control softphone and status

"I don't understand, can't we have all the above"
:shepface:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Using technology to solve a people problem always works out well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How common is it for DND status not to be reflected centrally on other people's BLFs for example?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My IP Phone can feed back to the PBX via all sorts of mechanisms, including stupid *78 feature codes.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Salespeople and faxes...

I just got bitched out by one of our salesmen because one of his biggest customers was pissed they did not respond to a fax the customer had sent.

The pages came out blank on our end. So best I can tell the customer put the pages in their fax machine upside down, and faxed us blank pages. But this is somehow my fault.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

stevewm posted:

Salespeople and faxes...

I just got bitched out by one of our salesmen because one of his biggest customers was pissed they did not respond to a fax the customer had sent.

The pages came out blank on our end. So best I can tell the customer put the pages in their fax machine upside down, and faxed us blank pages. But this is somehow my fault.

Does it plug into a wall? It's your loving fault.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is there a rule that when replacing two UPS batteries one won't come out? Raised a bit of a sweat before it finally decided to emerge.

These were two 50 lb. APC batteries. Based on my years of gym experience I was at least able to do all of this without hurting myself but I'm not built for this sort of thing. I had to laugh at how the boxes were plastered with TEAM LIFT stickers. Yeah, let me get my team together to help me with this.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a rule that when replacing two UPS batteries one won't come out? Raised a bit of a sweat before it finally decided to emerge.

These were two 50 lb. APC batteries. Based on my years of gym experience I was at least able to do all of this without hurting myself but I'm not built for this sort of thing. I had to laugh at how the boxes were plastered with TEAM LIFT stickers. Yeah, let me get my team together to help me with this.

Me, Myself, and I make for a very effective team, we can watch a TV show, eat food AND get drunk all at the same time!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My employer's solution to needing employees to solo lift heavy poo poo and satisfying the legal department is a genielift. When you first see it you're all "gently caress yeah, my life just got easy!" but when it comes time to use it you realize it's 100% not suited for unracking a server that is attached to rails.

But they make us use it anyways.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I used the APC website to generate pre-paid return labels for the old batteries. The website warned that there would be a charge to pick up the boxes and that they had to be taken to a dropbox. So I loaded them on a cart and took them on a nice long trip to the UPS box in the parking garage. When I get there a hand-written sign on it says "NO LARGE BOXES. CALL FOR PICKUP"

Yeah I wasn't dragging 100+ pounds of batteries back upstairs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have tons of batteries in our warehouse, so whenever a UPS craps out I just go grab a matching set of batteries. So much cheaper than buying them from loving APC. Set the old ones in the battery pile in the warehouse and a recycler comes to pick them up.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

After replacing the batteries in all the UPSes in my house, I realized that there's more capacity and runtime on my family's computers than on our backup sump pump. Priorities, I guess :v:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
YAY!

https://webkit.org/blog/7839/adobe-announces-flash-distribution-and-updates-to-end/

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We purchased a division of another company, their employees came over about a month ago. Old company has been dragging heels getting databases exported. User demands access to some comments. The database is custom and has a customer ID table, a "comment" table that has a "comment type" field that is apparently a random string that I can't figure out what it means and nothing is labeled. Several appears to have the same meaning and I can't get any documentation on what is what.

User is full of themselves and CCs the world saying it's unacceptable that they don't have the info yet (we got it Monday morning and are just looking at the nightmare). They want all of it so they can use it right now they are losing customers without this info. Well okay, it's 52GB and makes me cross eyed looking at it. I send a screen shot of the text file and am told that's not the right info.

Yes it if, you just have a program that translates this bullshit like 920F9FSSK | 039212LE | "Jen, Sue, 'n Rob" | 039DEJE93

I have 67 tables named complete gibberish some only having 2-3 entries other with thousands. The ones that only contain a number are great!

yes that is an actual line from the file 1 is the customer ID one is a table name and I have no idea on the last bit but I assume it's some shorthand for customer contact names or something. This is the biggest cryptic mess ever and I hate whoever made this. Databases with named fields and tables aren't much better "CsmrAdssTB" looks like customer address table based on what's in it when we imported that more sane part. I can see why the IT staff didn't want to export this they were embarrassed by the mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:toot: