Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

No Wave posted:

I used icy veins for a while because most other build websites have the most insane UIs I've ever seen (HotsBuilds is baffling).

However looking at the winrate of picks on hotslogs icy veins is usually exactly backwards (with a few exceptions which indicates that it's not just new players picking icy vein talents depressing winrates). I've started using hotslogs winrates instead. (it also proved that people are smart when summon ultralisk, a typical "it's not optimal but I like it" pick, has a much better winrate than maelstrom.)

They don't tell the whole story ofc.

Winrate is a really bad way to judge which talents are good. Use pickrate if you're going to go off just one number.

Just the fact that Ultralisk has the higher win rate is very telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Do you mean "isn't"?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

No Wave posted:

I used icy veins for a while because most other build websites have the most insane UIs I've ever seen (HotsBuilds is baffling).

However looking at the winrate of picks on hotslogs icy veins is usually exactly backwards (with a few exceptions which indicates that it's not just new players picking icy vein talents depressing winrates). I've started using hotslogs winrates instead. (it also proved that people are smart when summon ultralisk, a typical "it's not optimal but I like it" pick, has a much better winrate than maelstrom.)

When I try out a new character I read all the talents, load up hotslogs, check all the popular and high win rate talent choices and start experimenting with things that sound good together, eventually work out a build I prefer, and side adaptations for different game scenarios from past experiments. I've read very few good guides, and most of the guide sites I've read generally tend to be terrible about keeping up with patch changes or just have blatantly lovely advice.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BrianBoitano posted:

Signal boosting this above genjichat. Thanks!

... I don't play Tychus. I do NOT play Tychus. Why am I about to pay 2400 shards for a legendary bulge skin?

Edit: pirate sprays are different, right? They didn't come at the beginning of the event. I don't think I need to forge them all tonight, especially since they're not on the events tab.

Yeah, the pirate stuff's not part of the SOGO event. Just the sprays and portraits listed in the Event tabs, the surfboards, the swimsuits for Tychus, Tracer and I think just the Bikini Stitches variants that were added when the event started.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Tychus is fun to play, has great skins and a nice array of viable talents/builds.

Embrace the bulge.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dropped for me two nights ago. And then the smiling Whimsyshire cloud mount dropped for me earlier today. :yayclod:

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

No Wave posted:

I wish Icy Veins would automatically take you to the talent page rather than the full walkthrough when you go to a character page.

A lot of characters only have one 'true build' on a characters main page, and then you look at the talent page and they talk about how most talents are viable with a decent explanation of when/why to use it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My first 100 levels in HotS:

Click a level 1 character.
Queue.
Loading screen comes up.
Go to Icy Veins and pick the build that's on the top.

They would be useless even for that if they didn't give you a build immediately. If only the builds were a little better.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Icy veins is pretty terrible. Hotslogs filtered to master is better but you don't get the full story. Just because a talent has 15% pick rate doesn't always mean it is awful, sometimes it's just situational. Hotslogs won't help you understand when that talent might be picked.

I like srey's videos on YouTube, he has 30 minute overviews for many heroes and he is pretty spot on most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EyeHi

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Please don't use Icyveins.

http://www.robogrub.com/builds
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tuaW9f-m7x-ukrWvgy2REb-3xnGfZ4bM0K0_4toTyPA/preview

Srey and other pros have good youtube accounts too, as linked earlier

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Grubby is way better.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've been using HeroesHearth. Idk what the consensus is around here for that place but it's been pretty good for me so far

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Use Grubby

If you think you have some 'personal build' that's much better and aren't Master+, trust me you're better off using the Grubby build

He even has videos explaining them if the chat bot still works

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
He put all the builds on his site with notes for most

I don't think he's made a hero guide video in years but posts lots of gameplay videos on YT.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I wanted to squeeze in a few more crates so I could get some shards to buy a surfboard. And then I open one!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yeah, I got a surfboard as well in these last couple of days. It was pretty great, since I would have totally bought one yesterday. Now I only spent 50 shards for the one spray I didn't have yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I got my only surfboard tonight too. :toot:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Same exact thing happened here. Eventually ended up with two of each skin (including both Tychus variants), all but one portrait, and about half the sprays, and just finally got a surfboard this week. I wish I had gotten better color schemes in some cases, but considering I didn't have to throw down any gems or shards aside from grabbing the missing sprays, can't really complain.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I do think that none of the event skins were as good as lunar jaina, stripey sylvanas, or skullbathur, but I'll get my chance I guess.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

These loot boxes were utterly hosed for me. I received precisely zero (0) event loot items from the ones I opened during the event (E: and I opened at least one chest a day, every day), EXCEPT for the five bonus chests I got from the Sun's Out, Guns Out raffle. I actually got some kind of event item from each of those, including Bikini Stitches.

If it didn't seem so far fetched, I'd almost suspect that the normal "level up and get a chest" chests were bugged and weren't actually event chests for me, but I guess I'm just an extremely outlier of bad luck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

None of the event items are even very good besides the surfboard. You didn't miss out on much.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I had 2310 shards when servers went down. Only event item I didn't have was speedo Tychus (though had like 4 trunks version).

I guess it is a good thing the server went down when it did because paying 2400 shards just to have a giant penis bulge on a hero I don't play probably wouldn't have been worth it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Give me Garrosh Blizz

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Filipino Freakout posted:

He put all the builds on his site with notes for most

I don't think he's made a hero guide video in years but posts lots of gameplay videos on YT.

Am I the only one who gets a 502 gateway error on these links?

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Not just you, I get that as well. The links were working yesterday. Probably just a temp. problem. All that goon traffic!

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The builds are using HeroesFire so whenever it takes a poo poo (which seems to happen pretty often) just check back later.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Alpha Mayo posted:

I guess it is a good thing the server went down when it did because paying 2400 shards just to have a giant penis bulge on a hero I don't play probably wouldn't have been worth it.

Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So how many goons actually got the contest prizes? I didn't get poo poo, and I had an entry basically every day.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

So how many goons actually got the contest prizes? I didn't get poo poo, and I had an entry basically every day.

Yeah same. I didn't really care about any of the event stuff (it's been my least favorite so far) so it's not a big deal though.

Like if they did something like this for Christmas or Chinese New Year and I got squat I'd be pretty annoyed.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 25, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I won 5 chests twice, gj blizz...

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Fuzz posted:

Tried to get a win every day, and got nothing the entire event.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Only won 5 Chests and it took a day for them to show up in my inventory

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also I didn't get the stupid statue so I consider that winning on some level.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I got the 50 chests and also a 5 chest reward... :blush:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Alpha Mayo posted:

I had 2310 shards when servers went down. Only event item I didn't have was speedo Tychus (though had like 4 trunks version).

I just logged on and you can still buy all the bulges you desire. You're in luck! :v:

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

This just popped up on my twitter:

https://blog.twitch.tv/watch-and-ch...d?sf100547494=1

more ways to get free stuff I guess

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

badjohny posted:

Bits/Cheers are essentially donations. It ain't free.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

badjohny posted:

:lol: "Please give money to the competitive teams for us and you'll get a loot box or mount or whatever"

Get out of here

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Macaluso posted:

:lol: "Please give money to the competitive teams for us and you'll get a loot box or mount or whatever"

Get out of here

I mean, this is not new, the Dota 2 compendiums/battle passes are basically the same thing, and are incredibly well received.

Yeah, I'd prefer something in-game instead of through Twitch, but I have a shitload of free bits by being a part of their marketing survey program, so :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

BrianBoitano posted:

I just logged on and you can still buy all the bulges you desire. You're in luck! :v:

Event items are still craftable even after the event?