Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

A harvest moon (even if it's the cheap knockoff one) on PC would have been big news if stardew valley hadn't come out since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i hope the artistic design quality of the logo isn't indicative of the... ah gently caress it i wrote off this franchise a long time ago

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

someone in this thread localise the new SoS in UK version please, im sick of waiting for xseed to do it

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I liked Skytree Village well enough, but it suffers a lot of new and old problems. I respect that they listened to the fanbase and corrected a lot of issues, but there's still poo poo like weather being set two days in advance, fog giving people headaches, winter just murdering crops, requests being limited to one per person (hope you don't get their seasonal constantly if you want to marry a person) and terraforming being required to get certain fish (one of which is needed for items for a marriage candidate).

I mean, it's great you can do more than one square at a time. The new critter is cute enough. The new outfits for the girl farmer are kinda eh. The DLC marriage candidates are interesting (though no one else but you can see the one for the female farmer. Awkward). I haven't played much since the first wave of DLC for skytree/release of ToT.

Edit: Oh and you can get almost an entire season of nonstop storms. Awesome.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 17, 2017

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

That Old Ganon posted:

I'm honestly impressed that NPCs have dialog along the lines of "You broke up with me and now you want to get back together?" And I was surprised that Ford ended up being my favorite. I thought he was just some weird sperg but he actually has some kind of character development. It's also neat that you discover ugly truths about the other bachelors; Ludus is mad possessive, Hinata is kinda clingy/possessive, Wayne gets jealous of a married man(?) and your uncle(???), and Yuzuki is boring.

Oh, ew really? I just started dating Hinata cause he's upbeat and also white rice is a really easy gift. I guess I can just marry him and then forget about him. I get the feeling Ludus being super possessive would be a plus for a lot of fans though

Totally agreeing with other posters that the kids are the best NPCs, especially Noel and Colin. They're super adorable :3:

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Octolady posted:

Oh, ew really? I just started dating Hinata cause he's upbeat and also white rice is a really easy gift. I guess I can just marry him and then forget about him. I get the feeling Ludus being super possessive would be a plus for a lot of fans though

Totally agreeing with other posters that the kids are the best NPCs, especially Noel and Colin. They're super adorable :3:
To be fair, Hinata's clinginess/possessiveness doesn't show until you're trying to break up with him. In comparison, when you're trying to break up with Yuzuki by showing off the pendant and comb/ring to other people, he just goes "I'm beside myself in frustration :geno:"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Corridor posted:

someone in this thread localise the new SoS in UK version please, im sick of waiting for xseed to do it

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/880350160949260288

October 13th.

And here's some off screen footage of Natsume's Harvest Moon: Light of Hope from e3, which looks extremely good and not at all like garbage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_WnhIWsnWU

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Just in time for my birthday! Thanks NoE!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

So I'm in Spring year 3 in SoS:ToT, and I'm totally cockblocked by thyme. I have picked up every single piece I've seen and I only have 11, and I need 15 for the jam factory so I can finally S Rank Westown. What a pisser.

Also moonstone can kiss my rear end, as can the soft shelled turtle. I just wanna feed my waifu her favorite meal, game!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Kruller posted:

So I'm in Spring year 3 in SoS:ToT, and I'm totally cockblocked by thyme. I have picked up every single piece I've seen and I only have 11, and I need 15 for the jam factory so I can finally S Rank Westown. What a pisser.

Also moonstone can kiss my rear end, as can the soft shelled turtle. I just wanna feed my waifu her favorite meal, game!

Take your pet with you to the little platform in front of the post office with the mining node and you should get a treasure hunt prompt (a little ? will pop up and you have to press the confirm button). If it's successful your pet may find some Thyme.

But man, it's almost as if they knew the Westown rank would shoot up because of all the stuff you buy there and put in really inconvenient town rank tasks to slow it down.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

Take your pet with you to the little platform in front of the post office with the mining node and you should get a treasure hunt prompt (a little ? will pop up and you have to press the confirm button). If it's successful your pet may find some Thyme.

But man, it's almost as if they knew the Westown rank would shoot up because of all the stuff you buy there and put in really inconvenient town rank tasks to slow it down.

That little bastard finds nothing worth a crap. Unless I want rocks. He finds a lot of rocks. Also having a large sized house pet who gets in the way then rolls over is extremely annoying.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kruller posted:

That little bastard finds nothing worth a crap. Unless I want rocks. He finds a lot of rocks. Also having a large sized house pet who gets in the way then rolls over is extremely annoying.

Savescum. You need to reload the day before, then sleep. You will also need to save on the day that you're checking because actually finding anything is a low % chance. You can look every 3 days, so just do it first thing after waking up and you'll have what you need in 12 days or so.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/880350160949260288

October 13th.

And here's some off screen footage of Natsume's Harvest Moon: Light of Hope from e3, which looks extremely good and not at all like garbage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_WnhIWsnWU

yassssssssss im going to throw plates of food at all the cute bobblehead boys im so excited

e: why do all the natsume HM games look like phone games? i mean HM was a popular franchise right? why are they not throwing money at it? it's like theyre begging ppl to just play SoS

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Corridor posted:

e: why do all the natsume HM games look like phone games? i mean HM was a popular franchise right? why are they not throwing money at it? it's like theyre begging ppl to just play SoS

They don't have much money to throw around and they didn't have much experience making full games from scratch until they lost Bokujo to XSEED.

The 3D games look fine for what they are, I think, but the 2D games look awful even by phone standards and I don't understand why - even with their budget, they could do so much better.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They don't have much money to throw around and they didn't have much experience making full games from scratch until they lost Bokujo to XSEED.

The 3D games look fine for what they are, I think, but the 2D games look awful even by phone standards and I don't understand why - even with their budget, they could do so much better.

There's a lack of vision? Direction? Art direction? Every object in the games look like they're just stickers pressed on the map without any concern for actual aesthetics. They're sort of like baby's first RPGMaker games.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I figured it's the same deal as asylum movies.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
On the plus side, SoS is pretty drat good, and seems to be doing alright despite losing the HM name.

There's a HM/Stardew Valley-like game in early access on Steam that I'm keeping an eye on called Orcish Inn. Though why an innkeeper would need to grow their own grains instead of buying them, I really haven't the foggiest.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

take me to the beaver posted:

On the plus side, SoS is pretty drat good, and seems to be doing alright despite losing the HM name.

There's a HM/Stardew Valley-like game in early access on Steam that I'm keeping an eye on called Orcish Inn. Though why an innkeeper would need to grow their own grains instead of buying them, I really haven't the foggiest.

That was probably a rhetorical question, but as a hobby, I used to make my own soaps and candles to sell at farmers' markets, usually making just enough money to expand the business into new types. With a smaller profit point per item, there's a certain point where you use an ingredient so often, if you could lower the price of it, you would make considerably more profit. I know I certainly fantasized about growing my own herbs to save on scents. v :) v

Thanks for the link, btw! Speaking of Harvest Moon-like games, I recently backed a game on kickstarter called Kynseed . It looks like a Stardew Valley and Rune Factory-alike where the concept is that you run a multi-gerational shop/homestead/store through the ages, switching to your child when you die or retire.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles launched recently, I don't think anyone's discussed it here yet but a lot of reviewers are describing it as "Zelda meets Stardew Valley".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8PCT2Z0-JY

I've played a few hours so far and that description is... inaccurate. From my short time with the game I'd say it's more like Animal Crossing if you took out all the town management and customisation aspects so you were just left with cute animals and clothes. It's like they tried to copy the most superficial aspects from life sims like Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley, Fantasy Life, etc. without putting any thought into the underlying systems. Like:

- There are a ton of quaint villages and townsfolk with things for you to do, but you can't go inside any of the buildings, NPCs have the same dialog outside of quests, and you can't form relationships or do anything meaningful besides exchanging items with them.
- You can build farms but they are just repositories for your crops and animals, not an important home base for exploring. There's no need to sleep or eat, and no events to watch for on the calendar (I think it's only there to apply visual effects with each season?)
- There's no measure of 'quality' or 'skill' in crafting and gathering. Each floofywobble or hamble (or whatever the cutesy pets are called) will produce the exact same item, they don't seem to have names or genders or varieties inside their species.

The controls are also floaty and uncomfortable, at least to me. Changing direction is an exercise in frustration as you slowly swivel your feet before moving again. I've been playing Grow Home recently, which has similarly awkward movement but manages to make it an adorable part of the game because you're moving around a tiny baby robot who can't keep up with his feet. In Yonder, I just want to get moving so I can spend as little time as possible in the vast, nearly-empty terrain that separates me from the next fetch quest.

If none of the above sound like a big deal and you just want a chill game where you run around and collect stuff, then by all means try it out. But yeah, the game is probably not going to scratch your Harvest Moon itch, despite being marketed heavily towards that audience. :V

A couple of other wordy complainers if you're still on the fence about it:
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/bjxanv/the-open-world-of-yonder-is-supremely-pretty-but-so-shallow
https://steamcommunity.com/id/rebellucy/recommended/580200/

naptalan fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 26, 2017

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

naptalan posted:

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles launched recently, I don't think anyone's discussed it here yet but a lot of reviewers are describing it as "Zelda meets Stardew Valley".

on that note, here's another one to be keeping an eye on - i've been following the dev on twitter and it's obvious that a lot of love is being poured into this project :3:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/593150/Ooblets/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan's getting a budget reissue of Rune Factory 4, as well as a "Platinum Collection" bundle that includes a new reissue of Rune Factory 3 for DS as well as a soundtrack CD with tunes from both games: https://www.marv.jp/special/game/3ds/rf4bc/

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I keep debating on whether to buy Rune Factory 4 or not on the eshop and everytime I almost do I decide not to because the art is just so off putting.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

I keep debating on whether to buy Rune Factory 4 or not on the eshop and everytime I almost do I decide not to because the art is just so off putting.

As a definite anime hater, Porcoline is the only thing that makes my eyes bleed. That thing is an abomination. The rest is just standard anime, nothing too weird, and the gameplay is fantastic. Good combat AND good farming.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Porcoline is intended to be ugly but they failed because he's beautiful

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kruller posted:

As a definite anime hater, Porcoline is the only thing that makes my eyes bleed. That thing is an abomination. The rest is just standard anime, nothing too weird, and the gameplay is fantastic. Good combat AND good farming.

Porco is the best character in any Harvest Moon or Harvest Moon-adjacent game and I'll throw anyone who says otherwise off an airship

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I googled them and that looks like one of the better designs.

I think the problem I have with it is the eyes need, like, bigger eye shinies to offset the creepy pupils.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 27, 2017

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So I got RF3 from the local Gamestop, and man, the protagonist is NOISY AS HECK. GIGI! HAAAAAAAH. YAAAH. HUNH.

Should I ship one of each thing like RF4? Or just keep what might be important.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
RF3 is one of my all time favorite HM/RF games, but I hit a wall with RF4. I recently tried getting back into it for a third time, playing my save game from my second attempt. I'm only on Summer Year 1, and I'm tasked with having to find some blue orb or some poo poo.

It's been a long time since I've played, so I've forgotten the meta, how this game works.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Aerofallosov posted:

So I got RF3 from the local Gamestop, and man, the protagonist is NOISY AS HECK. GIGI! HAAAAAAAH. YAAAH. HUNH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8JdNM52vE0

Aerofallosov posted:

The stuff you sell affects what Sakuya sells, but it's not as important as RF4. There's also a trophy if you get 100% though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Revol posted:

RF3 is one of my all time favorite HM/RF games, but I hit a wall with RF4. I recently tried getting back into it for a third time, playing my save game from my second attempt. I'm only on Summer Year 1, and I'm tasked with having to find some blue orb or some poo poo.

It's been a long time since I've played, so I've forgotten the meta, how this game works.

Check the Inn and see if there's a faceless NPC hanging out, if not go back to the Water Ruins and poke around.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Aerofallosov posted:

It's not essential at all. Just make sure you ship crops as they level up so the seeds in the store level up too. And try to ship one of each upgrade item so Sakuya can sell it.

That said the only thing I've found it's truly worth hoarding is crafting materials. Crops & flowers are easy enough to grow & fish are easy enough to catch if you need some for a recipe or quest, it's easy enough to craft new gear if you decide you made a mistake with whatever you have equipped, colored grasses spawn on empty fields like mad, etc.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Cool, thanks guys! I've usually been selling like, one of each crafting material and hoarding the rest.

Edit: Protag still noisy. Villagers are - interesting. Pia is adorable.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 25, 2017

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Trip Report: In summer.

OH MY GOD WHY IS IT STORMING CONSTANTLY. ALL MY CROPS. NOOOOOOOOO.

Protagonist still noisy. Met the - other folks. Can now transform.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Does harvest moon 64 still hold up for someone who has not played it before? The impression I always pick up is that people have a lot of nostalgia for it, but also that it has a fair amount of wonkiness and glitches, so I'm wondering if it's worth coming to without the benefit of rise tinted glasses?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Austen Tassletine posted:

Does harvest moon 64 still hold up for someone who has not played it before? The impression I always pick up is that people have a lot of nostalgia for it, but also that it has a fair amount of wonkiness and glitches, so I'm wondering if it's worth coming to without the benefit of rise tinted glasses?

If you're coming from RF3 or RF4, it'll probably feel like a slog. Same with Story of Seasons or its sequel. The animations are much slower, produce does not stack, movement is slower, and a lot of quality of life features aren't there. You do at least have a backpack, so harvesting is pick->store, pick->store, until your pack is full, and then unloading your pack one at a time into the shipping bin. It's better than the SNES version where you could only hold one crop at a time.

That being said, it's still a good harvest moon game for the characters. I'd suggest looking up gameplay of the game before playing it to see if it's too much of a step back before deciding to get too far into it.

One hint: tools upgrade on number of uses, including swinging it at the air. It's not a bad idea to try to level up the watering can ASAP.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
A middle ground between modern QOL and old school charm is (More) Friends of Mineral Town. They're GBA updates of Back to Nature, which doesn't get as dark as 64. But even with that, the characters & events are still a lot more interesting than the ones in modern HM/Story of Seasons games.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Mineral Town is a dark and sad little place when you look past everyone's very welcoming nature. Like a reverse stardew.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

They're only sad because anytime something touches the ground it's instantly ruined.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
So that's the real reason you lose friendship for littering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I guess I can understand them not liking poo poo that's been on the ground. "Hey pal, happy birthday, I got you some worm-ridden filth!"

I haven't played a farm sim in a while. I'm willing to bet my Stardew save is hosed since it's from before 1.1, but I'm kinda itching for some Rune Factory. I would be pretty okay with someone resurrecting Rune Factory and making 5 for the Switch.

Maybe I should pick Stardew back up and start anew on one of those new (to me) alternate farm layouts. Maybe I should get Trio of Towns or something. I've gotta scratch this farm game itch.

• Locked thread