Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nicholas posted:

hello thread. can someone give me a status update on three point oh

check derek's blog for an original infographic detailing the cuts to 3.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

This is hilarious but truly, I don't care about credit, goon valor or archering. They're just pie charts that make the bad news easier to quickly apprehend. The true author is the Code Whisperer himself, Chris Roberts. I'm just glad he's on our side!

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
insanely normal dude who just likes a videogame company

quote:

You don't have a "differing opinion" you're just a lying Internet cockroach. An your fellow cockroaches love to follow in your wake, after you circle jerk a bit on discord and the SA forums.

Then those tiny little buggers pop-up to support that FUD. To partake in the "meta" and tears.

Like what delusional world do you live? You've been exposed. Did you forget the poo poo you posted the other day? That fake SA bullshit, trying to impersonate a CIG developers comment like it was a real Evocati message. Did you also forget the loan poo poo you, DS and your buddies were trying to push as bad news? like it was some abnormal, nefarious event.

Get out of here with that victim card bs

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Do the $70 missiles have LTI ?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The only thing Chris whispers to these days is the keys to his limited edition porsche

Just a little longer he says , soon soon we will rev you all the way to 9 thousand, on the way to the airport and freedom

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

G0RF posted:

This is hilarious but truly, I don't care about credit, goon valor or archering. They're just pie charts that make the bad news easier to quickly apprehend. The true author is the Code Whisperer himself, Chris Roberts. I'm just glad he's on our side!

All I'm saying is Derek needs to show some integrity. Fucker can't go around telling people he "called it" and then perform his own round of ignorance for the original source.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
i cant speak for gorf or anyone else who has had their goon valor stolen, but i actually enjoy derek being the mouth piece for this threads shenanigans, as it incites the most vitrol from shitizens, journalists, CIG and even chris roberts himself.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Jobbo_Fett posted:

All I'm saying is Derek needs to show some integrity. Fucker can't go around telling people he "called it" and then perform his own round of ignorance for the original source.

I don't know if you know this but Derek is loving bonkers

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nicholas posted:

hello thread. can someone give me a status update on three point oh

poo poo!! WB!! I was wondering where you were.

Here you go. Do your thing.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

https://www.diffchecker.com/au6DOJ98

A lot of poo poo is delayed, but because of the on-going sale, the 08/25 date remains unchanged, two weeks in a row :allears:

Even had entries that remaining untouched with no status or completion date any more. e.g. ENTITY UPDATE COMPONENT SCHEDULER, VOLUMETRIC FOG, APOCALYPSE ARMS SCOURGE RAIL GUN

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Damnit :(

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

There's a difference between "lol that dude crazy" and "if you disagree with me I'll doxx you"

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Kromlech posted:

Is this for real?

I don't remember how much it costs but the "pvp meta" in SC was (and might still be) buying the special missiles off the store and countering that a bit by buying the special missile defense shield off the store. You can technically earn the currency ingame I think but citizens don't have time for that and just buy currency for real money.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nicholas posted:

i cant speak for gorf or anyone else who has had their goon valor stolen, but i actually enjoy derek being the mouth piece for this threads shenanigans, as it incites the most vitrol from shitizens, journalists, CIG and even chris roberts himself.

Exactly. I'm the front man because nobody gives a poo poo about anon Goons, too scared to step out into the light of all that is glorious. Me on the other hand?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kromlech posted:

Is this for real?

They sell missiles for 70,000 UEC. It's been widely stated/believed by backers that the conversion rate will be $1=1,000 UEC.

People like MoMA even expect a double to quadrupling in value for UEC so those $70 missiles could be worth up to $280!!

if the game ever does come out the currency will be worthless and the missiles will be like seven cents or seven tenths of one cent.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

We need an update. :colbert:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Space Crabs posted:

They sell missiles for 70,000 UEC. It's been widely stated/believed by backers that the conversion rate will be $1=1,000 UEC.

People like MoMA even expect a double to quadrupling in value for UEC so those $70 missiles could be worth up to $280!!

if the game ever does come out the currency will be worthless and the missiles will be like seven cents or seven tenths of one cent.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/extras?product_id=41

e: yeah just checked, the best missiles are 70k. The missile protection shield is 15k. You need both if you want to pvp according to the pvpers trying to make pvp a thing.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

G0RF posted:

This is hilarious but truly, I don't care about credit, goon valor or archering.
SHUT THE gently caress UP YOU IDIOT YES YOU DO AND YOU'RE MAD AS HELL BECAUSE IT GIVES ME A REASON TO SAY THAT DEREK'S WRONG SO JUST SHUT UP AND BE MAD BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE YOU BITCH!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Exactly. I'm the front man because nobody gives a poo poo about anon Goons, too scared to step out into the light of all that is glorious. Me on the other hand?

At what point does one get so far up their own rear end they collapse into a singularity? You have to be getting close.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Kromlech posted:

Is this for real?

There is a shop page, with missiles being sold for whatever the in game credits are, priced in range from something like 30,000 to 70,000, depending on model. They appear to be sold in pairs. 1,000 in game credits are $1, do the math.

Currently, missiles are just on the ship when you summon it, and, I think, they're replenished when you go to the repair place. So, those prices are irrelevant right now, because weapon loads don't have persistence, yet. However, it is an indicator that they intend to charge for missiles, eventually.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

*link to an unsourced image he didn't make*
:five:

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Variable 5 posted:

There's a difference between "lol that dude crazy" and "if you disagree with me I'll doxx you"

I don't really know or care I was just informing the dude trying to reason with him on the internet in case he forgot.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:yeah:

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
If I wanted to make serious kesh I'd rebrand some trucknuts, add hair, and sell them with accompanying razors at citcon.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

G0RF posted:

What the gently caress, dude, the "O" in your name is a zero. Lies all along.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

just make stealthy trucknuts that punch above their weight and can carry cargo and you'll make way more.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

Wait a min. Unlike us, you haven't been receiving regular payment for your anti-shilling, and have been doing it for free? :laffo:

Say whaaat?

And I even Photoshopped dozens and dozens of refunds and helped to ensure 2016 was such junk that backers are wanting to just ignore it entirely because CIG was just clueless when it came to developing a game or having basic project management.

:colbert:

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Wuxi posted:

Look deep into your heart and ask yourself "Can this be real. Can 70$ missiles be real?".

The answer might suprise you.

Well if the missiles are actually AI ships, then $70 is actually a bargain.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

N-no one cares about me? :ohdear:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Nicholas posted:

I totally agree, it's great. Derek takes the blame for everything, and he loves it! Plus, it pisses off so many people, and makes them act like maniacs. I'm sure that image directly resulted in that Reddit post telling everyone to ignore anything CIG or Chris Roberts said before 2017. Dissenters were coming out of the woodwork on that one. Seeds like that bear delicious fruit.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Totally loves it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Meridian posted:

N-no one cares about me? :ohdear:

You're a big boy now, buddy :)

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Space Skeleton posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/extras?product_id=41

e: yeah just checked, the best missiles are 70k. The missile protection shield is 15k. You need both if you want to pvp according to the pvpers trying to make pvp a thing.

I have my PVP Slider set to Captain B'Tak :smugdon:

EDIT: Here, have a picture of my cat being a jerk to the dog:

Tsar Mikey fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 25, 2017

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Combat Theory posted:

So people seemed to like the technical story about the desync, good thing I got more of those.

Let me tell you about missiles shall I?

In most games, missiles are rather simple constructs since you have to factor in the possibility that players will spam them when their supplies are full. Generally the more realistic a simulation gets, the more complexity you also find in the missiles. All the way up to for example a DCS where the missiles are pretty much equal in simulation depth to the planes itself. The game can afford that because even in a harsh engagement, missile use is complex and you won't find 2 digit numbers of them in air usually.

Cig, visionary company, again thought it would be mighty cool to inject high complexity missile simulation into what's basically intended as an arcade combat design (this isn't a judgement, it's just a design philosophy)

Now before we go into the details of how they screwed it all up, please take the time and go Google star citizen DB and check out just how much crap gets calculated for a single missile launch and engagement

Here I just copy pasted the headers of the component data that a missile inherits in star citizen

code:
local name	name	category	class	type	subtype	manufacturer	size	mass	hp	price
	damage physical (hp)	damage cluster (hp)	explosion radius (m)	lifetime (s)	max range (m)
	signal type	guidance type	tracking distance (m)	angle (°)	ignition time (s)	
intercept accel main (m/s²)	intercept accel mav (/s²)	intercept accel rotation (/s²)
	intercept speed angular (°/s)	terminal accel main (m/s²)	terminal accel mav (/s²)
	terminal accel rotation 
(/s²)	terminal speed angular (°/s)	boost accel main (m/s²)	boost accel mav (/s²)	boost accel rotation (/s²)
	boost speed angular (°/s)	accel cost linear (fuel)	accel cost angular (fuel)	fuel terminal time (s)	signal
 minimum	signal maximum	signal amp seeking	noise amp	no lock timeout (s)	
cluster missiles	
cluster count (missiles)	trigger distance (m)	trigger angle (°)	eject speed (m/s)
As you can see from these data headers, missiles are fully simulated IFCS objects, which means they have a complex multi order flight model instead of a simple speed and direction one.

Now I said before hit detection and hit recognition are all client side. This doesn't go for missiles. Missiles are essentially AI ships and they are server controlled.
Now remember the servers already piss themselves with the least bit of load from single digit client numbers (10 people on server becomes a hindrance to good gameplay already) and now you have ships like the gladiator which can fire 8 missiles in short order, or the constellation with over 20 missiles.

But not enough. This is still not completely horrible. For that we need the cig factor.

Goons and goonettes, I present you, the rattler missile.

Gaze your eyes upon Roberts wet dream from wing commander times. A missile that fires 8 other missiles. And it's the best missile in game to and comes with a hardpoint size that almost any ship can carry.

Now imagine 2 people fire 2 missiles at each other. That's suddenly 32 physics enables ifcs controlled warheads on a server that's on last inch life support already. Absolute carnage.

You wanna know why you don't see people rattler spamming anymore nowadays? Because this poo poo has been Un touched for almost a year. Cig knew about this just as long as well. Just nobody did anything about it. So even the numbest missile spammer couldn't keep a straight face anymore after bringing the server down a fith time a night after all these months. The problem so to speak, has been solved by not touching it for so long that everybody just stopped playing.

Oh and guess what Roberts decided to put into 2.6?

Missile pickups...
there will always be limitations in games.
And this is result of not paying attention to those limitations.

Basically they cant have both cluster missiles and really complex missile simulation.
If CIG was competent they would either recode the missiles to be much simpler
or avoid situations where there is 30 missiles in the air at same time.

they chose neither, instead they chose to wait it out until they have more time/programmers to figure out solution. Solution that they hope will exist in future.
what boggles my mind even further is the fact that they haven't disabled those cluster missiles

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Combat Theory posted:

So people seemed to like the technical story about the desync, good thing I got more of those.

Let me tell you about missiles shall I?

In most games, missiles are rather simple constructs since you have to factor in the possibility that players will spam them when their supplies are full. Generally the more realistic a simulation gets, the more complexity you also find in the missiles. All the way up to for example a DCS where the missiles are pretty much equal in simulation depth to the planes itself. The game can afford that because even in a harsh engagement, missile use is complex and you won't find 2 digit numbers of them in air usually.

Cig, visionary company, again thought it would be mighty cool to inject high complexity missile simulation into what's basically intended as an arcade combat design (this isn't a judgement, it's just a design philosophy)

Now before we go into the details of how they screwed it all up, please take the time and go Google star citizen DB and check out just how much crap gets calculated for a single missile launch and engagement

Here I just copy pasted the headers of the component data that a missile inherits in star citizen

code:
local name	name	category	class	type	subtype	manufacturer	size	mass	hp	price
	damage physical (hp)	damage cluster (hp)	explosion radius (m)	lifetime (s)	max range (m)
	signal type	guidance type	tracking distance (m)	angle (°)	ignition time (s)	
intercept accel main (m/s²)	intercept accel mav (/s²)	intercept accel rotation (/s²)
	intercept speed angular (°/s)	terminal accel main (m/s²)	terminal accel mav (/s²)
	terminal accel rotation 
(/s²)	terminal speed angular (°/s)	boost accel main (m/s²)	boost accel mav (/s²)	boost accel rotation (/s²)
	boost speed angular (°/s)	accel cost linear (fuel)	accel cost angular (fuel)	fuel terminal time (s)	signal
 minimum	signal maximum	signal amp seeking	noise amp	no lock timeout (s)	
cluster missiles	
cluster count (missiles)	trigger distance (m)	trigger angle (°)	eject speed (m/s)

As you can see from these data headers, missiles are fully simulated IFCS objects, which means they have a complex multi order flight model instead of a simple speed and direction one.

Now I said before hit detection and hit recognition are all client side. This doesn't go for missiles. Missiles are essentially AI ships and they are server controlled.
Now remember the servers already piss themselves with the least bit of load from single digit client numbers (10 people on server becomes a hindrance to good gameplay already) and now you have ships like the gladiator which can fire 8 missiles in short order, or the constellation with over 20 missiles.

But not enough. This is still not completely horrible. For that we need the cig factor.

Goons and goonettes, I present you, the rattler missile.

Gaze your eyes upon Roberts wet dream from wing commander times. A missile that fires 8 other missiles. And it's the best missile in game to and comes with a hardpoint size that almost any ship can carry.

Now imagine 2 people fire 2 missiles at each other. That's suddenly 32 physics enables ifcs controlled warheads on a server that's on last inch life support already. Absolute carnage.

You wanna know why you don't see people rattler spamming anymore nowadays? Because this poo poo has been Un touched for almost a year. Cig knew about this just as long as well. Just nobody did anything about it. So even the numbest missile spammer couldn't keep a straight face anymore after bringing the server down a fith time a night after all these months. The problem so to speak, has been solved by not touching it for so long that everybody just stopped playing.

Oh and guess what Roberts decided to put into 2.6?

Missile pickups...

I like you. :)

The best part is you've got actual experience playing this thing. Nobody here bothers/cares to anymore. We need a new valiant hero to take one for the team over and over again. :)

And it's not just to bash, which will no doubt happen. It's because CIGs biggest enemy has never been goons or Derek or FUD, it's been the constant fact that they just cannot build a video game. Instead of fix the game, you get more artwork and new modes of play for this artwork that will literally never happen.

But it makes them money!

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
I did my part by trying to trick talk Derek into just spending a week in a cave, and not talk about anything, anywhere.

Didn't work but I tried.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thread is poo poo again.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Dark Off posted:

there will always be limitations in games.
And this is result of not paying attention to those limitations.

Basically they cant have both cluster missiles and really complex missile simulation.
If CIG was competent they would either recode the missiles to be much simpler
or avoid situations where there is 30 missiles in the air at same time.

they chose neither, instead they chose to wait it out until they have more time/programmers to figure out solution. Solution that they hope will exist in future.
what boggles my mind even further is the fact that they haven't disabled those cluster missiles

If you actually got the :reddit: wet dream to happen, thousands of ships, firing thousands of missiles, at thousands of other ships, while capitals sit around doing capital things, you'd blow up even the monster :ccp: uses to run eve.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hobold posted:

I did my part by trying to trick talk Derek into just spending a week in a cave, and not talk about anything, anywhere.

Didn't work but I tried.

That X-Mas stream was amazing.

Also, A for effort :respek:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Exactly. I'm the front man because nobody else gives a poo poo, too disinterested in setting a world record for the most public and long lasting self-fellatio in history. Me on the other hand?

fixed that for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Does Lethality play Elite Dangerous? It sounds right up his street.

Maybe the reason Elite hasn't died spectacularly is because Lethality never promoted it :shrug: