Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I bought the collector's edition of Cold Steel on sale and it has a spot in the box for Cold Steel 2 so now I have to get that too I guess?

Edit: I love my dead handheld and I will carry around its corpse Weekend at Bernie's style until it falls apart or until its voodoo curse wears off.

Edit: Wait that was Weekend at Bernie's 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I bought the collector's edition of Cold Steel on sale and it has a spot in the box for Cold Steel 2 so now I have to get that too I guess?

yes

you also have to re-buy them on Steam so I can feel better about my life decisions, and so XSEED might localize the Crossbell games

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Got my Vita plugged in but trying to turn on the power button doesn't work, The PS logo button doesn't turn on...

Is it dead? :noes: I loved my RPG machine so much.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk if this is what you mean but the Vita needs to be charging for like 10-15 minutes before you can turn it on

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I always have to hold the power button for ten seconds before anything happens

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Help Im Alive posted:

idk if this is what you mean but the Vita needs to be charging for like 10-15 minutes before you can turn it on

I am holding out hope that the battery drained completely instead of bricking.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

SelenicMartian posted:

What's Valkyria Revolution, apart from 'generic looking'?

So far, it's a poorly animated movie about political machinations, the role of propaganda and popular sentiment in carrying a war against a larger opponent, and a tale of love, loss and betrayal, broken up by the occasional bout of suddenly needing to run around jamming on the X button. We're talking beyond-MGS4 levels of cutscenery here.

It's a Vita game running on an emulator on the PS4.

The graphics and animation are about on par with an early PS3-era game, with a 'canvas' texture bulk-applied over the whole thing so they can claim they're trying to do the same thing VC did, only now it's oil painting instead of watercolor.

It's a really bad attempt at taking the 'You're actually reading a history book' approach of VC1, and kinda turning it on it's head. I mean, really nice idea, but the execution is bad.

I'm enjoying it; it's not the bestest or my most favouritist game ever, but it's charming, I can see some of the stuff they were trying for, and the story, at least, is surprisingly deep and intricate, so far.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I played the demo of Valkyria Revolution and it seemed okay, but it really bothered me that the characters' facial expressions don't change at all during conversations. Their mouths move, but that's it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was made on a budget of £10 and it shows

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Well, you have things like the old PS1 method of 'model pivots in place, then plays 'walk_animation_1' or one model holding something, says 'Here,' the image literally fades to black, then fades back in with model 2 holding it.

You'd be playing the game absolutely for the story, not the gameplay.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ibram Gaunt posted:

6 was epic. shame about them cutting out all the postgame content out of the EU/US releases because capcom didn't think people cared about boktai. RIP.

I don't care about Boktai but six rules because you can turn into a wolfman made of swords and absolutely break the last boss fight

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I have played most of Valkyria Revolution, and it is bad.

- There are only like a dozen maps in the game, expect to see them a lot, except with random parts blocked off depending on the mission
- You can't access the map while in a mission, so if there's an enemy you need to kill to trigger the next part, oh boy have fun looking for them.
- What am I saying that doesn't matter because enemies don't show up on the minimap either unless it's to take a base.
- Enemies are pushovers at best, damage sponges at worst. Mechs in particular are bad, because the entire strategy for them is to run up to them and press the attack button until they die.
- This applies to literally every enemy and boss in the game.
- Magic powers are trash except for one or two that just blow up a bunch of enemies and once, saving you from pressing x repeatedly until they die.
- The story is "Are we doing the right thing by starting this war?" except that their enemy is a power-hungry dictator who is a caricature of evil, so the answer is "Yes." and doesn't involve any real moral issue.
- You upgrade your weapons by cramming magic spells into them. No strategy or thought required, just mush your spells into it, you'll get more later so it doesn't matter.
- Equipment, like guns and grenades, are useless. Yes you can kill a single soldier, or you can magic them into mush. The only exception is very specific boss battles where you need rocket launchers.
- There are cover mechanics, and status effects, and surprise attacks, and every single one of these are pointless and worse than the previously-explained strategy of 'run into the enemy and press x'.
- Oh and the Vita runs it poorly. Enemies pop into existence as they spawn, or you run close to them, and if they're far enough away their animation is like a slideshow that looks terrible.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

TheCenturion posted:

Well, you have things like the old PS1 method of 'model pivots in place, then plays 'walk_animation_1' or one model holding something, says 'Here,' the image literally fades to black, then fades back in with model 2 holding it.

You'd be playing the game absolutely for the story, not the gameplay.

Well that's cold steel too but at least falcom managed facial expressions

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Why no one told me that Akatsuki no Kiseki was released on the japanese PSN? Anyway I just got Lloyd Bannings as my third day login bonus and he died against a mouse, I'm good at Trails

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

OgretailFood posted:

Why no one told me that Akatsuki no Kiseki was released on the japanese PSN? Anyway I just got Lloyd Bannings as my third day login bonus and he died against a mouse, I'm good at Trails

Where are you accessing from? On both PS4 and Vita it gives a generic complaint about the connection environment and then quits to title, from the UK.

edit: Worked fine on PC though.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 25, 2017

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

uiruki posted:

Where are you accessing from? On both PS4 and Vita it gives a generic complaint about the connection environment and then quits to title, from the UK.

edit: Worked fine on PC though.
I'm from México but other than small lag here and there (plus being stuck on the launch screen the first time I open it, second time it goes through) I have no problems with it, I can even launch other F2P stuff like Chain Chronicle and that Konami baseball game without error.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I haven't played any Battle Network games but they look like SRPGs on really small maps? What's a good one to start with?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't played any Battle Network games but they look like SRPGs on really small maps? What's a good one to start with?

No they're more a combination of Action RPG/Card-building games.

The stories are simple enough that starting anywhere in the series isn't a big deal. 2,3
3, and 6 are generally accepted as the best of the series. 1 is mediocre, 5 tried for a gameplay departure that may not be everyone's cup of tea, and 4 is universally considered poo poo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cool thanks.

Yeah I'm not worried about story, just that I knew from reading a few threads that some were considered better than others.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Can't go wrong with 2 or 3. They're really fun games

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can go pretty wrong with 2. 3 is good tho

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
1 is bad
2 is good but it has some really bad sections and the chip selection isn't that great either (though it's very very easy to break)
3 is good but the boss fights are kinda gimmicky in general.
4 isn't as bad as people say, but it's not that great either.
5 would be the worst if it wasn't for the liberation missions. They ruled.
6 is real good.

Avoid all star force games except for 3. 3 is good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think 2 is the best of the pre fusion games and siz is the best one with fusion stuff so play those

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

3 is great, but it's the first of the games to do the whole Pokemon thing where the main difference is a couple of the high end chips and one boss. One's literally BowlingMan and he fires bowling pins at you and it owns, the other version gets a genie or some poo poo I never got far enough in White to find out. Also one of the version's exclusive chips is "reset your entire deck including this chip," so it's unreasonably broke as poo poo.

Overall, play 2, 3, and 6. If you really REALLY need the whole story, play 1 and 5 as well, but you honestly don't really need the story in 4. Spelling issues aside, the plot is seriously "Lan and Megaman do a bunch of tournaments with mindless fetch quests, while other people do the real plot." You also don't get most of the fusions the first time through so you have to play it 3 times. 4 sucks rear end.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 26, 2017

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I never realized mm starforce was a game; which of those are bad?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

leper khan posted:

All of them except 3.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

1 is okay in a vacuum but super basic coming off BN6. Took them until SF3 to make the card system sensible and add a proper number of mechanics to make yourself ungodly overpowered.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

leper khan posted:

1 is okay.
2 is bad but it is incredibly easy to break the game badly under your knee.
3 is the actually good one.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Valkyria Revolution is a horrendous pile of assbutts, and if you like the Valkyria Chronicles games at all, you'll probably hate Revolution even more on principle for co-opting the Valkyria name to sell copies of a terrible game that has nothing to do with the characters, setting, or even gameplay of the Chronicles games.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

MisterAlex posted:

Valkyria Revolution is a horrendous pile of assbutts, and if you like the Valkyria Chronicles games at all, you'll probably hate Revolution even more on principle for co-opting the Valkyria name to sell copies of a terrible game that has nothing to do with the characters, setting, or even gameplay of the Chronicles games.

So an exact repeat of what Sega previously did with the Shining series then.

And the soundtrack's composed by Yasunori Mitsuda? God, what a waste.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hey, I'm at I believe the end of Atelier Escha & Logy. They've basically said this is the last year, and I'm fairly certain I built everything for the Airship, but there's no option to take it to the floating ruins. Will that just happen at the end if I've got all the parts for it?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/892214676695764997

Vita and Anime are now truly the same thing.

Justin_Brett posted:

Hey, I'm at I believe the end of Atelier Escha & Logy. They've basically said this is the last year, and I'm fairly certain I built everything for the Airship, but there's no option to take it to the floating ruins. Will that just happen at the end if I've got all the parts for it?

As long as you're going along with the story and completing the main missions it should be fine.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DistantValhalla/status/892849229642821636

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

idk what that is

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Super No Vacancy posted:

idk what that is

VN type of game where you go uncovering the lies people puts on Internet about themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2H2pNin3Tw

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey the Vita is getting these

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What's a Vita?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007