Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Leave it to the Onion to tweak motorcyclist's noses that much further by using a picture of a VFR when the article is talking about a Ninja 250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I don't understand why that article is even on The Onion at all.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Slide Hammer posted:

I don't understand why that article is even on The Onion at all.

Sometimes The Onion posts actual true stories such as this one, just to mess with people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

As annoyed as I am with Kawasaki for slapping the "Ninja" branding on every single bike they make with more than 3 square inches of plastic on it, it's as nothing to the rage I feel at Suzuki for daring to put the Katana name on a loving rejected sex toy like the GSXF.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that really was a new-charger moment for them.

Still not as bad as fake amals though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Yeah that really was a new-charger moment for them.

Still not as bad as fake amals though.
If you're referring to new Triumphs, the fake Amal is way better than the fake Keihins they had previously

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If you're referring to new Triumphs, the fake Amal is way better than the fake Keihins they had previously

Having recently seen one up close I'm inclined to disagree because they look even faker and cheaper than before. Looks like dog balls on an otherwise very attractive bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think this must be a personal preference thing because I've seen bikes up close with original Amal monoblocs on them and I've seen the new fake ones and the fake ones look pretty nice to me and awful similar to the originals.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've never really thought about the fake carbs as "ugly" or "pretty," they're just...there. Meh.

It is pretty ironic that at first they copied the carbs from the Japanese copy of their own bikes, though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I think this must be a personal preference thing because I've seen bikes up close with original Amal monoblocs on them and I've seen the new fake ones and the fake ones look pretty nice to me and awful similar to the originals.

I think we're both right because having seen actual amal-equipped bikes IRL they look like cheap trash too so I guess they're just super faithful reproductions?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/djLiA0E.mp4

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Oh no! I've heard bear skin doesn't hold up well in a crash.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

This is your crash report isn't it. :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

This is your crash report isn't it. :v:

If I hadn't been wearing gear I would probably be in an ICU right now. I'd also probably have lost my dick and other soft tissues.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

NICE

I'm glad you are ok. After seeing my protective pants wear all the way through in my last bad crash, I just cannot understand why people don't wear gear. Skin wears through a lot faster than abrasion resistant fabric. Good luck at the doc, and good job being proactive in checking it out.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

In 'it came from the local riders group'

I'll leave these up for interpretation

There is a video but its private and I can't seem to figure out how to rip it.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 18, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
holy loving poo poo.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

So, his tire was weirdly lopsided in terms of wear and he took a belt sander to it? Am I interpreting that right?

People shave tires to get a uniform circumference when replacing a single tire on an AWD vehicle. Wonder if that's where he got the idea.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wait, what. Why would anyone think that was a safe thing to do. I know professionals do some shaving, but that's not with a loving torch and belt sander.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Coydog posted:

Wait, what. Why would anyone think that was a safe thing to do. I know professionals do some shaving, but that's not with a loving torch and belt sander.

I think that just an attachment for an air compressor and not a torch. Either way its a dumb idea.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh, ok I stand corrected. That said, I know we agree that tires are like the most important safety thing on a bike, and the idea of "seeing if I can fix it" is lunacy.

HOLY poo poo! :aaaaa: I mean I don't get why any rider would trap and antagonize a deadly weapon like a driver that's acting like that, but it ended very well. :allears:

edit to credit the poster who found the vid

Coydog fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 19, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think that's just an air gun, not a torch, as if that makes it any better

e: ugh

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
lol thats a good troll

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixO7k2Foa-0

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

HOLY poo poo! :aaaaa: I mean I don't get why any rider would trap and antagonize a deadly weapon like a driver that's acting like that, but it ended very well. :allears:
No poo poo. You see some fucker acting crazy on the road, give 'em all the room they want.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

In 'it came from the local riders group'

I'll leave these up for interpretation

There is a video but its private and I can't seem to figure out how to rip it.

Don't forget the update

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hmm i wonder if the curvature of a tire needs to be more accurate than you can just eyeball with a belt sander

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Naw man just spin that tire and sand away like it's a chunk of wood on a lathe!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is he commuting? With one rear end cheek off the seat at all times? My tire is square from commuting on the SV, but, it's evenly square at least.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

His commute is a couple of laps around a NASCAR oval.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is it wrong that seeing that makes me go want to try it? I'd need a lot more spare money and at least a spare bike to actually do it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd need those things plus a chiropractor on retainer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How is he commuting? With one rear end cheek off the seat at all times? My tire is square from commuting on the SV, but, it's evenly square at least.

Its the road crown.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The cheap and lazy thing to do is run it backwards, it's Summer tread doesn't matter

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
From the schadenfreude thread

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOwa7HzR4K4
A life skill when you ride a motorcycle is "forgiveness" and "letting things go".

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

:aaaaa: it is perfect

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:dogbutton:
That's awesome. It's like a perfect description of tail of the dragon in one photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What bike is that on the right? I feel like I recognize those exhaust cans, but my brain is saying "those are VFR cans" and that's not a VFR. Looks more like a BMW but I don't see a shaft drive or boxer heads

Edit: nm, reverse image search is your friend. It used to be an ST1300. Shaft drive is there, just on the right

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/when-cornering-speed-exceeds-cornering-skill-1783931503

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 25, 2017