Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I would be mildly more worried but entirely unsurprised if they passed a skinny repeal to try and hand the blame back to the House.

I hope they throw a kegger every time they barely scrape by with something the other side will just scrap and start the process over entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Covok posted:

Yeah, it's over. Exactly as I expected. Just as the House. They faked being defeated and turned people in secret. All of the turncoats revealed themselves in the last 5 minutes, just like in the house. I said that was how it'd turn out, just like house. Just like the house, we were left with our pants down grasping at straws as the vote happened: all our smug, self-serving predictions proven wrong, just like the house, just like election night.

Except no, because unlike election night, it was more likely than not that the MTP would pass, and it was more likely than not that the House bill would pass, just like it remains more likely that the GOP will manage to pass some form of ACA repeal. Those are the logical consequences to them controlling all three branches of government. You can't compare a genuinely unexpected, counter-polls situation like the election and what happened today, because the idea that the MTP would fail was always a wild longshot; I don't think a single person in this thread was crowing about how it was doomed to fail. In fact, the fact that it was even a possibility, much less that the margins are this close and the process is this acrimonious, is a testament to the WEAKNESS of their position.

You're treating every single thing like an election, but these are all consequences of a single election. The Republicans won big in 2016; they're going to pass some lovely bills. The fact that they're able to do so isn't a continuing NOTHING MATTERS or a referendum on the future, it's just what happens when you win. It also says nothing about 2018 or the future.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Rigel posted:

They voted to begin debate and offering amendments. It is not clear that there are 50 votes for any individual bill or amendment.

Who exactly voted yes on the MTP and will vote no on the bill itself, and what is their motivation for acting that way?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petr posted:

Who exactly voted yes on the MTP and will vote no on the bill itself, and what is their motivation for acting that way?

what "bill" are you referring to, for starters

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

You are not a better person for caring about this.

Eh, I already got enough karma to up my decking anyhow.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Deified Data posted:

McCain being gone is good, even if he gets replaced with a more evil man who doesn't pretend to waffle on issues and give people false hope that there are still principled republicans. A known quantity.

McCain has always been a known quantity.

People are just gullible.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

If I had a time machine I would go back to the Hanoi Hilton during the Vietnam War and tell McCain's torturers to just put a bullet in his brain, thereby preventing the suffering of millions of people some forty years later.

As things stand though, I hope McCain suffers a hundred times the pain he suffered in Hanoi.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

pacmania90 posted:

It's interesting that so many people here have changed their opinion the morality of the death penalty, or this thread would be full of hypocrites.

I'm anti-death penalty but I hope John McCain's brain explodes

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why the gently caress is Covok not forced to toxx or go away forever already?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

pacmania90 posted:

It's interesting that so many people here have changed their opinion the morality of the death penalty, or this thread would be full of hypocrites.

I'm not personally a death-wisher but "I think person should die" =/= "It's good that this person is dying"

The difference is subtle but important.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why the gently caress is Covok not forced to toxx or go away forever already?

Toxx on what? The nothing-mattering?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Z. Autobahn posted:

Except no, because unlike election night, it was more likely than not that the MTP would pass, and it was more likely than not that the House bill would pass, just like it remains more likely that the GOP will manage to pass some form of ACA repeal. Those are the logical consequences to them controlling all three branches of government. You can't compare a genuinely unexpected, counter-polls situation like the election and what happened today, because the idea that the MTP would fail was always a wild longshot; I don't think a single person in this thread was crowing about how it was doomed to fail. In fact, the fact that it was even a possibility, much less that the margins are this close and the process is this acrimonious, is a testament to the WEAKNESS of their position.

Are you being serious? Every single poster in here was convinced that a clean-repeal was absolutely doomed and a last-ditch attempt by Mitch to show the far right that their ideas cannot pass.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hoping that someone dies horribly of cancer while begging for healthcare for all is pretty hosed up hth

We aren't begging. We're demanding it. It is vitally important.

Anyone who stands in the way of universal healthcare is responsible for mass death, and that includes John McCain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pacmania90 posted:

i dont support the death penalty in cases where the person is incarcerated and unlikely to do any more harm. unfortunately, mccain is not in jail.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

If I had a time machine I would go back to the Hanoi Hilton during the Vietnam War and tell McCain's torturers to just put a bullet in his brain, thereby preventing the suffering of millions of people some forty years later.

As things stand though, I hope McCain suffers a hundred times the pain he suffered in Hanoi.

Edgy

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
I don't see how not wanting the state to execute people and hoping McCain's suffering is great and terrible are incompatible positions.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Deified Data posted:

I'm not personally a death-wisher but "I think person should die" =/= "It's good that this person is dying"

The difference is subtle but important.

Well there are people saying they'd happily do the job themselves, which is a bit beyond that.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/kamilumin/status/889934899955806209

Basically how I feel right now.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
I'm impressed how many goons would literally be defending Hitler and the Nazis by admonishing those that wanted to go to war and stop them.
Or how many would tsk tsk at The First Nations people when they picked up arms to fight against the invading Europeans.
Or defend the right of southerners to keep Africans as slaves and clutch their pearls at the thought of northern Americans marching through their land to fight them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Petr posted:

Different people want different versions of the bill. The original BHCA senate bill, for example, was opposed by Ryan for not going far enough. Ryan's 'straight repeal' version was opposed by some of the moderate GOP for going too far.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

pacmania90 posted:

I don't think anyone's said that his death should be government-sanctioned.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Petr posted:

Are you being serious? Every single poster in here was convinced that a clean-repeal was absolutely doomed and a last-ditch attempt by Mitch to show the far right that their ideas cannot pass.

The clean repeal still doesn't have 50 votes, sooooo

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Petr posted:

A lot of those people will vote no on the amendment they are reading now.

The plan is to show the world that the 2015 repeal and the Cruz amendment don't have the votes so people stop talking about it. What we're not sure about is the "skinny repeal" that gets rid of a few parts of the ACA.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I have compassion for Mcain.

Brain cancer is a horrible, disgusting terror of a thing. It destroys your personality, erodes your mental faculties, and almost certainly condemns you to a protracted, painful death. I just wish they'd caught it sooner, then maybe they could have stopped him from becoming a republican.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

All you silly bitches talking about McCain dying like they ain't already put his brain in cryofreeze and shoved an agitated toad in his skull to get up and about for the vote.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pacmania90 posted:

Actually separating out what the state can do to its citizens versus a citizen wishing death on another or even killing them can be completely morally consistent.

One can oppose the state executing someone while advocating for a right to self defense, for example. Or more traditionally, one could oppose state executions but reserve the right of the people to overthrow their government through violence if needed.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Covok posted:

Yeah, it's over. Exactly as I expected. Just as the House. They faked being defeated and turned people in secret. All of the turncoats revealed themselves in the last 5 minutes, just like in the house. I said that was how it'd turn out, just like house. Just like the house, we were left with our pants down grasping at straws as the vote happened: all our smug, self-serving predictions proven wrong, just like the house, just like election night.

:toxx: or gently caress off.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

You forgot to lean closer to your microphone.

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/889936095756120064

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Petr posted:

clean repeal is doomed. You have no loving clue what you are talking about. I assume you saw "THIS IS IT, THE VOTE!" on twitter or TV or something, and rushed here without knowing any of the context or complexity..

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Boon posted:

Oh word?

Chuck Schumer's take:

Points discussed thus far:
- Reinvigorating antitrust
- Drug price negotiation
- Job-training tied tax-credits
- Infrastructure investment

What exactly are you looking for? Also :lol: at your last sentence - as if being a condescending rear end was a right unto only yourself.

Points discussed thus far:
- Lifeless
- Skills part brings to mind the neoliberal fantasy that everything will be okay once everyone's programmers
- How can it be nonpartisan when it's the slogan of a political party
- From the people who brought you "Trumped up trickle-down" and "America is Already Great"
- Better Ingredients, Better "Pizza", Papa John Podesta's

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fart City posted:

All you silly bitches talking about McCain dying like they ain't already put his brain in cryofreeze and shoved an agitated toad in his skull to get up and about for the vote.
scalia's back? that doesnt play well in 2018

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I imagine McCain playing a game of Ten Fingers and someone says "never have I ever... hosed over millions of people" and it goes around the circle until it gets to McCain and he puts a finger down

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

A woman is driving dangerously down a winding road, recklessly passing cars until she comes upon a slow moving Mack truck. As she goes to pass, her car is clipped by a truck going in the opposite direction, then slammed full-force by the Mack, killing her.

Meanwhile, John Quincy Archibald and his wife Denise witness their young son Michael collapse at his baseball game and take Michael to the hospital. After a series of tests at the hospital, John is informed by Dr. Raymond Turner and Rebecca Payne, the hospital administrator, that his son has an enlarged heart and that he will die without a heart transplant. The procedure is very expensive: $250,000 (at a minimum), with a down payment of $75,000 (30%) required to get Michael's name on the organ recipient list. John tells them he is insured, but after looking through his policy, they tell him that because the company he works for dropped John from full-time to part-time, his health insurance has been changed, and the new policy does not cover the surgery, which leaves John and Denise to raise $75,000 on their own. The family tries to raise the money but are only able to come up with a third of the necessary payment. The hospital eventually tires of waiting and decides to release Michael, and an outraged Denise urges John to do something. Unwilling to let his child die, John walks into the hospital ER with a handgun, gathers eleven hostages, and sets demands: his son's name on the recipient list as soon as possible or the hostages die. The hostage negotiator, Lt. Frank Grimes, stands down to let John cool off.

Meanwhile, John and the eleven hostages learn more about each other. They begin to understand John's situation and support him a little as he ensures each of them receive the treatment they came to the emergency room for. One of them, Miriam, is pregnant, and her husband Steve is hoping that their first child is healthy. A young hostage, Julie, has a broken arm, and she and her boyfriend Mitch claim that a car crash caused it. Due to holes in their story, John and another hostage, Lester, conclude the two are lying and that Mitch beat up Julie. After a while, John agrees to release some hostages to have his son's name added to the list an hour afterward. He releases Steve, Miriam, and a hostage named Rosa with her baby.

The Chicago Chief of Police, Gus Monroe, gives a SWAT unit permission to insert a sniper into the building via an air shaft. John is shot but ends up receiving only a minor wound, which is treated right away. After taking the shot, the sniper's leg falls through the ceiling tiles. Outraged, John pulls him out of the air shaft and beats him up. Using the bound SWAT policeman as a human shield, he steps outside to the sight of dozens of policemen pointing weapons at him and a large, supportive crowd. John demands that his son be brought to the emergency room. The police agree to his demand in exchange for the SWAT sniper.

Once his son arrives, John reveals to the hostages his intention to commit suicide so his heart can be used to save his son. He persuades Dr. Turner to perform the operation, and two of his hostages bear witness to a will stating his last request. John says his last goodbyes to Michael and enters the operating room. He loads a single bullet into the gun; his gun was never loaded from and he never intended to kill any of the hostages. John pulls the trigger, but the safety is on. As he prepares to end his life a second time, his wife learns about an organ donor (the woman killed in the beginning of the film) who has been flown to the hospital for organ recovery. She runs to the emergency room and stops John from shooting himself, and John allows the hostages to go free. Michael is given the life-saving operation and, after watching the procedure with Denise, John is taken into police custody. Afterwards the entire ordeal becomes subject to a national debate about the quality and accessibility of insurance and healthcare. Three months later at his trial, all of the witnesses speak on his behalf. He is later acquitted of charges of attempted murder and armed criminal action but is found guilty of kidnapping. It is never revealed what his sentence for the crime will be, but his lawyer is overheard and saying that no judge will give him "more than three to five (years)" and that she will try to get it reduced to two.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Bobulus posted:

Different people want different versions of the bill. The original BHCA senate bill, for example, was opposed by Ryan for not going far enough. Ryan's 'straight repeal' version was opposed by some of the moderate GOP for going too far.

Those people all knew they weren't going to get a coherent bill by the time of the vote. The time for them to signal their disapproval with the process was the MTP. By voting for it, they're signalling their intention to vote for absolutely anything, because that is the only possible thing they could get.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fart City posted:

I swear there was a poo poo cartoon about George Bush where that was literally the plot of an episode.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Taking a break from the meltdowns...

https://twitter.com/TedGenoways/status/889639153092186113

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Rigel posted:

clean repeal is doomed. You have no loving clue what you are talking about. I assume you saw "THIS IS IT, THE VOTE!" on twitter or TV or something, and rushed here without knowing any of the context or complexity..

You assume wrong. See my previous post.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wishing that a man with cancer eating his brain would have it happen to him sooner because of how he affects the world is not the same as being for the death penalty, in which people are executed by the state, jfc

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Sinteres posted:

I didn't mean to intimidate you, sorry for my intense posting. Honestly I just think it's healthy for some people to calm down and stop writing revenge fantasies like they're still being bullied in high school, but I'm not in control of any of you people, and wouldn't want to be.

Again, McCain et al aren't giving people noogies, they're threatening our health and lives.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Petr posted:

Do... do you think clean repeal passed today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

no he's literally doing it because he's too scared to tell him he's fired to his face

Can't it be both?

• Locked thread