Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

I think your above references were not him being earnest. He just looks like a dumbass not taking the Holocaust or Nazis serious enough. He's clearly immature and likes to try to be edgy.

That said, I'm tired of defending him.

I think you can legitimately give people the benefit of the doubt when they give you cause to do so. However, the current environment is that white supremacists are repeatedly saying racist poo poo and then thinly covering it up by saying "it's just a joke". In that context, anyone who repeats this behaviour can probably be lumped in with them without losing too much sleep over it. At worst, you labelled an enabler as a true believer, and that's not a really serious difference these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Deified Data posted:

"A guy got in trouble for making his dog sieg heil, truly this is the death of discourse" :ohdear:
And the dog got off with nothing.

I thought we stopped allowing the "just following orders" defense for that poo poo decades ago.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

WampaLord posted:

So you agree that bigoted "black humor" is totally unacceptable?

No, my opinion on it remains unchanged. I think it heavily based on context, speaker, and audience (like I mentioned in my post about the 3 situations). I think its wrong when its come from a person who is not a member of the group its bigoted towards and the audience is the general public.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

WampaLord posted:

There's a million other things he could have put there to be "edgy" without specifically calling for death to all Jews. I calls em like I sees em.

You confuse lack of originality with bigotry.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Midig posted:

He could have picked literally anything else, Midig. A meme, a nonsense thing, "Death to all unicorns!"

He chose that specific phrase for a reason.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

WampaLord posted:

He could have picked literally anything else, Midig. A meme, a nonsense thing, "Death to all unicorns!"

He chose that specific phrase for a reason.

It would not be edgy. Edginess comes from a lack of originality. They let a sore subject matter make up for the fact that the joke is otherwise bad.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

I wouldn't say you'll be shunned, but you'll probably be known as "the guy who goes to bat to say that bigoted jokes are cool and good" for a while.

Well if I can correct the record it should be "the guy who goes to bat to saying that bigoted jokes can be funny in very specific situations"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

You really want to go down the PDP rabbit hole again after you got shamed about it last time?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Goon Danton posted:

He paid people to hold up signs with anti-semitic slogans. That is quite literally endorsing anti-semitic views. Sponsoring them even.
And I think that's missing his point. He wasn't attempting to sponsor those views, he was attempting to use those views to shock because they are shocking views.

quote:

Just so we're clear, are you saying you agree with the opinions of the posters in this thread, or with the opinions of the youtubers we post?
The liberal opinions (pro-feminist, pro-LGTBQ, etc.)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

And I think that's missing his point. He wasn't attempting to sponsor those views, he was attempting to use those views to shock because they are shocking views.

"Attempting" doesn't matter. Intent doesn't matter.

Actions matter. He did an anti-Semitic thing.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

WampaLord posted:

"Attempting" doesn't matter. Intent doesn't matter.

Actions matter. He did an anti-Semitic thing.

I will remember to talk poo poo to people who bump into me on the street. They intentionally accidently walked into me and I gotta call them out on it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

WampaLord posted:

Ah, the "If he wasn't actually killing Jews while yelling 'I am killing you because you are Jewish and I loving hate Jews,' then it's okay!" defense.

You're right, I cannot peer into Felix's heart and determine if he actually hates Jewish people. I can only look at his actions, which have shown hatred for Jews and inspired others to express their own hatred of Jews and determine that it's loving unacceptable.

he is jewish i believe or was raised in a jewish family. he hates lakud/israel because its a loving apartheid state. he doesnt hate jews.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Deified Data posted:

I have friends who think casual racism and misogyny is "dark humor" and I can't wait for that mindset to die a quick death.

"A guy got in trouble for making his dog sieg heil, truly this is the death of discourse" :ohdear:

Deffo deserves jail time for that

I made my dog learn to bark the 14 words in morse code. How much jail time shall I receive?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

I will remember to talk poo poo to people who bump into me on the street. They intentionally accidently walked into me and I gotta call them out on it.

Felix did not accidentally pay people money to say "Kill the Jews" you loving dipshit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Midig posted:

:jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is jewish i believe or was raised in a jewish family. he hates lakud/israel because its a loving apartheid state. he doesnt hate jews.

I'm going to need a hell of a source for this. Please prove to me that he is Jewish. :allears:

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

Maybe you should watch it again, because you apparently missed every point she made in it and are now arguing the exact opposite.

I disagree. I believe what I've been trying to say is that there is a place for this type of humor, but you have to be careful and know what you're doing if you want to pull it off.

What she doesn't get into, as I recall, but that is my point with PDP, is that sometimes those who dabble in transgressive humor fail, but just because they fail doesn't necessarily mean they are a Nazi, a racist, etc.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Midig posted:

That wacky PDP, he fell down some stairs and accidentally sent money to some people with specific instructions to write "death to all jews" on a piece of paper. What absurd thing will totally unintentionally happen to him next?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Pembroke Fuse posted:

If he's ignorant of the seriousness of rape, it's sort of his responsibility to educate himself and walk back his bullshit... or come off as someone who's pro-rape. I guess I would be willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt if they were trying to figure poo poo out, but there is no evidence that he's anything except a shitlord who either supports the positions he spouts or doesn't care about the damage that they do. In that case, having his reputation in the gutter is the least he deserves.

I agree.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is jewish i believe or was raised in a jewish family.

Citation please, because he was born in Sweden and lives in the UK now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"Aw dang, I accidentally dropped something that accidentally hit the keys on my keyboard to send money through PayPal to a company to have them parrot hate speech! What an improbable series of events this is!" -Something Midig thinks actually happened IRL

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Felix did not accidentally pay people money to say "Kill the Jews" you loving dipshit.

The point is that intent matters, yo. Is a man who douses a place with oil and throws down a lighter the same thing as a guy who is irresponsible with sigarettes?

Edit:

loving lol at the way people interpret this.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 25, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WampaLord posted:

:jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

I'm going to need a hell of a source for this. Please prove to me that he is Jewish. :allears:

oh poo poo i am sorry. for some hosed up reason i misread the thread and i assume chapo felix bettermen. not pewdiepie.

yeah i think is probaly bigoted against jews but i think its probaly a "lol /pol/ told me about it" then genuine nazi/anti semite beliefs. and no he isnt funny.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Goon Danton posted:

Um excuse me sir, it is pretty presumptive for you to assume a joke is a bigot just because of its content. You need to really get to know the joke in order to make a judgment about how it feels.

I just call em like I see em.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Midig posted:

The point is that intent matters, yo. Is a man who douses a place with oil and throws down a lighter the same thing as a guy who is irresponsible with sigaretter?

Was this hypothetical man smoking his cigarette in the middle of a drought ridden forest during July?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

fallenturtle posted:

That's pretty tasteless.

So do you think he's pro-rape or ignorant to the seriousness of rape?

I don't think there's a meaningful enough distinction between the two.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

What's your foolproof way of differentiating between jokes you don't mean, and jokes that you earnestly believe in?

There is no foolproof way. But when I refer to earnest comments I'm referring specifically to comments that aren't jokes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Midig posted:

The point is that intent matters, yo. Is a man who douses a place with oil and throws down a lighter the same thing as a guy who is irresponsible with sigarettes?

They would both be charged with arson.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Avenging_Mikon posted:

"Uh...poo poo, this guy's actually doing Nazi poo poo a lot...uh..uh... HE'S JUST BEING EDGY, I'M SICK OF DEFENDING HIM."

That's not at all what I said. It has to do with intent, not frequency.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

WampaLord posted:

They would both be charged with arson.

Would they serve the same amount of time in jail. Would people think they were equally bad as a person?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

I disagree. I believe what I've been trying to say is that there is a place for this type of humor, but you have to be careful and know what you're doing if you want to pull it off.

What she doesn't get into, as I recall, but that is my point with PDP, is that sometimes those who dabble in transgressive humor fail, but just because they fail doesn't necessarily mean they are a Nazi, a racist, etc.

She talks about how transgressive humor and satire needs intent, needs logic, and needs to be making a statement about the thing it is transgressing upon or satirising. So what statement is PDP making about killing Jews, exactly?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

Was this hypothetical man smoking his cigarette in the middle of a drought ridden forest during July?

Still rings true with this anecdote. He is incredibly dumb, not malicious.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Midig posted:

Would they serve the same amount of time in jail. Would people think they were equally bad as a person?

It's not about "who is worse," they are both arsonists because they both committed arson.. Much like how PewDiePie is an anti-Semite for doing an anti-Semitic thing.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

She talks about how transgressive humor and satire needs intent, needs logic, and needs to be making a statement about the thing it is transgressing upon or satirising. So what statement is PDP making about killing Jews, exactly?

"People on Fiverr will do or say anything for five dollars".

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Midig posted:

Still rings true with this anecdote. He is incredibly dumb, not malicious.

yeah, him and jontron strike me as the same type idiot who just heard enough dumbshit from /pol/ and fans and they just bought into it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

There is no foolproof way. But when I refer to earnest comments I'm referring specifically to comments that aren't jokes.

How can you tell when something isn't a joke when the person can just say that you just don't get their humor? And why does that matter if it's a joke, since you admitted already that jokes can be bigoted and joke-tellers can be too.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, him and jontron strike me as the same type idiot who just heard enough dumbshit from /pol/ and fans and they just bought into it.

Except JonTron shared opinions.... I don't see how this is comparable.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Midig posted:

Except JonTron shared opinions.... I don't see how this is comparable.

"Death to all Jews" is an opinion. It's an opinion that you advocate for the death of all Jews.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Then he should have said that, instead of letting his beliefs slip in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Midig posted:

People getting mad at PDP or literally any one else for making a really bad anti-semitic joke isn't exactly putting him on trial at Nuremberg.

• Locked thread