Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Meyers Leonard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ammanas posted:

Ryan Anderson to the blazers, Melo to the rockets, um... What the hell do the Knicks get

Melo off our team!

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Leonard and Harkless in all likelihood. If it's Turner I'll flip.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paul Zuvella posted:

Eli Manning is basically the 2nd least popular person in the city after the surviving marathon bomber

jesus christ

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Knicks get (Melo)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paul Zuvella posted:

the surviving marathon bomber

Yet more evidence of the Boston stereotype, hard-hating on one of the world's most notable anti-racists.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RCarr posted:

Melo off our team!

THE NIGHTMARE IS OVER

edit: wait I'm not seeing any news

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 25, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Boosh! posted:

East decent? They were like 1-25 without him at one point.

That Nets team was the best terrible team I've seen in a while. They always came to play and pushed some pretty good teams deep into the fourth quarter.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/Altitude950/status/889864897647063040

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crabbe would be a great value at 9m. I like him quite a bit, but not 17m. Same for Enes.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lmao now that's just piling on, Chauncey

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Unless it's executed to perfection, the end game of Brooklyn's "overpay RFAs" strategy is a team filled with bad contracts that still sucks. I don't really like the Crabbe trade for them at all after how he played last season

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

xbilkis posted:

Unless it's executed to perfection, the end game of Brooklyn's "overpay RFAs" strategy is a team filled with bad contracts that still sucks. I don't really like the Crabbe trade for them at all after how he played last season

The reason why they got Crabbe is because they took on Nichiolson's contract which got the Nets a 1st rounder from the Wizards. They basically got what they originally wanted (Crabbe) plus a 1st rounder one year later.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Cool Buff Man posted:

I just hate cities, the people in Boston are almost caricatures of people from Boston and I have a good laugh every time I visit. It would definitely get on my nerves over time though and if I was black I'd never go there

I live here and it's awful

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He shot 44% from 3 last year. Yeah 17 million seems like a player favorable contract but he's going to help them

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, people act like Crabbe is some horrible player. He's good and an elite shooter. He just is not worth the money.

As a Magic fan, as bad as Crabbe is i would rather have him then Biyombo who has virtually the same contract. Add in the fact that we needed shooting and the Magic never traded Vucevic, it's no wonder the Magic are one of the worst teams in the league.

chilihead fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 25, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

chilihead posted:

As a Magic fan, as bad as Crabbe is i would rather have him then Biyombo who has virtually the same contract.

Oh god for sure .

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tae posted:

The reason why they got Crabbe is because they took on Nichiolson's contract which got the Nets a 1st rounder from the Wizards. They basically got what they originally wanted (Crabbe) plus a 1st rounder one year later.

Yes but they wanted to pay Crabbe all that money so there is a flaw in that thinking

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
When they tried to sign Crabbe, he was a year younger and projectable as a guy who could maybe thrive given a bigger role. Then got a big payday in Portland and didn't really expand his game at all, and he became an albatross contract.

Brooklyn probably should have just counted their blessings rather than going back to that specific well. If they wanna roll the dice on talent, then keep digging through the RFA market this year

e: Crabbe definitely still has an NBA role, but he's probably never going to justify that contract and the Nets are not in a position to be paying role players $19 million / year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's going to start right .

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The "take on a bad RFA deal for assets" thing sounds good but probably should have only been done once not twice. Now they have two really bad deals

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Why do the Nets care about money right now?

who cares how bad the deals are until they have a player worth putting a team around.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

The "take on a bad RFA deal for assets" thing sounds good but probably should have only been done once not twice. Now they have two really bad deals

Are you counting mosgov as the second ?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Crabbe + D'Lo are gonna be pretty bad on the defensive end, but it's very good for D'Lo to have a 40+% 3 point shooter to pass to

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Nets have made really good use of obtaining assets with their cap space, and they mostly can't anymore because their money is tied up in players who aren't very good

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

I feel like living in Maine has made it a lot easier to like the Celtics, if I had to live in Boston I'd probably feel the same way

idk I live in Maine and it's real easy for me to hate the Celtics. The casual fans are pretty awful. I just had to listen to an old woman in my office tell everyone how overrated and disgustingly arrogant LeBron was all playoffs. She couldn't even look at the TV when they showed his face.

but it's mostly because I grew up watching/listening to their annoying broadcast team. I'm really glad Allen Iverson's flashy crossovers and inefficient but cool shooting saved 10 year old me from becoming a Celtics fan.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

xbilkis posted:

The Nets have made really good use of obtaining assets with their cap space, and they mostly can't anymore because their money is tied up in players who aren't very good

They have a bunch of players who are functional rotation NBA players. If they acquire enough of those they might be able to trade for and match salaries for an unhappy star.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

xbilkis posted:

They still have like 20+ million in cap space next year, even more if Jeremy Lin doesn't take his player option.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dexo posted:

They have a bunch of players who are functional rotation NBA players. If they acquire enough of those they might be able to trade for and match salaries for an unhappy star.

Anyone trading an unhappy star would probably rather just start over rather than take Crabbe or Carroll's deal. Or Mosgovs

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It gets some vets who can help teach the young kids how to play, makes the franchise on the whole less of a deathtrap free agent destination, and conceivably generates the undefinable "goodwill" where some other GMs will answer their phonecalls as thanks for helping dump a bad asset (which might be previously under-recognized if that Pritchard rumor about "gently caress [Danny Ainge]" is true, which it might not be)

Plus it sets them up to have a ton of cap space in the future once the contracts expire.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What's a good team to root for this year if your hometeam is a run by a fat idiot

Is that eastern or central time

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
They should'be stopped at DeMarre. They didn't even get anything back for taking on Crabbe.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

Seriously. The suspense is killing me.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Boosh! posted:

They should'be stopped at DeMarre. They didn't even get anything back for taking on Crabbe.

They got Crabbe himself who's a really good offensive player. They're just paying him 40% too much. The

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Dejan Bimble posted:

Hawaiian.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Stevie Lee posted:

idk I live in Maine and it's real easy for me to hate the Celtics. The casual fans are pretty awful. I just had to listen to an old woman in my office tell everyone how overrated and disgustingly arrogant LeBron was all playoffs. She couldn't even look at the TV when they showed his face.

but it's mostly because I grew up watching/listening to their annoying broadcast team. I'm really glad Allen Iverson's flashy crossovers and inefficient but cool shooting saved 10 year old me from becoming a Celtics fan.

Sucks for you then! I have fun. I don't know any Lebron hating old women though

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

xbilkis posted:

I'm not sure how many of these assets are still on the market. Unless they wanted to hope the Lakers would get desperate and pay a future first to dump Deng there wasn't much to hold out for.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Boosh! posted:

Yeah, my main problem is that this trade indicates they think "Allen Crabbe at $18+ million a year" is a worthwhile asset to obtain in and of itself, when that's almost certainly not true

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RCarr posted:

Seriously. The suspense is killing me.

Some dude compiled the list of dozens of Melo Trade Rumors
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6pg4ro/almost_every_thread_about_carmelo_trade_rumors/
I'm just gonna stick that deadline one onto the pile, more fuel for the Triangle Fire (another NYC classic, surprised I didn't see that used more often. Could've even done it "Triangle Shitwaste Fire" if you wanted to be vulgar, which I most certainly do NOT!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Crabbe just turned 25 so he could still develop into a good 3 and D player. I would've rather kept him until the trade deadline to see if he could make the jump with Portland. But like I said I think this is the first domino to fall for Portland.

Portland will get a $13m trade exception for Crabbe, which is enough to absorb Eric Gordon.

• Locked thread