Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Derek Dominoe posted:

And Eve, for all if it's many faults, does hit one note that UO thrived on, namely letting players completely gently caress with each other in null space. Letting players wage war with consequences rather than engage in meaningless slapfights will draw in more than a small niche. It's still hard to draw an entrenched playerbase away to your new game, but not impossible.

I tried WoW and loving hated it. I was too poor and couldn't convince my mom to spend $20 on me at costco to buy UO when it was out. Eve Online is the only MMO that I've tried that actually made me want to come back. Haven't been able to mostly because of growing up and having other poo poo to do, but yeah, it's the whole "let all the players gently caress with each other" element that is just loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the thing that makes eve work is a large part of the population doesn't really want to pvp. They want to mine or explore or do other poo poo and as a result there is a huge variety of targets to kill. If you go fly around you'll run into hardened vets flying expensive poo poo, people trying to solo pvp, industrialists trying to mine who will throw lovely defense fleets at you and just lose ship after ship. There is also a large chunk of the universe that is fairly safe from pvp so new players aren't immediately gang banged until they quit. Also because the safe areas are so huge the veteran players can't just camp the exit to the newbie zone because there is about 100 exits to the (huge) newbie zone.

Every UO like game that comes out seems to focus completely on the pvp aspect. Open world pvp in WoW was so incredibly fun to me because you were sneaking up on dudes that din't want to pvp. In both WoW and eve there were a lot of dudes that wanted to mine asteroids in peace or solo grind to level up so both had the thrill of hunting down targets in an open world and killing them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Every game that has tried to replicate early MMO experiences has mostly failed, or at least the ones that I know about. Those days while fun at the time are gone now.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Every game that has tried to replicate early MMO experiences has mostly failed, or at least the ones that I know about. Those days while fun at the time are gone now.

The MMO genre is dead and its been replaced with stuff like dayz/ark/rust and in some sense PUBG.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Patch notes are out for titanfall

Scorch buffs:

Scorch will now have 1 dash charge with a 10 second cooldown.
Increased Firewall’s width.
Scorch Kits
Wildfire Launcher now increases the direct-hit damage of the Thermite Launcher. It still increases the amount of fire spread.
Scorched Earth’s lingering fire lasts longer.
Tempered Plating now makes Scorch immune to crits and his own thermite damage.
Fixed a bug with Flame Core not igniting Incendiary Traps.

Link:

https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/discussion/13502/operation-frontier-shield-the-patch-notes/p1?new=1

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Missionary Positron posted:

Isn't SW:TOR doing relatively well, too?

SWTOR was loving amazingly good leveling up, like one of if not the best early-mid game experiences I've ever had. Then you hit level cap and it completely poo poo the bed, PvP was absolute hot salty garbage with zero balance between ranged and melee, and PvE endgame was nonexistent for the first... 6 months? It was a shame too, I really wanted to like it but the dev team shot themselves in the foot.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Most mmo players either went to mobas for their pvp, minecraft for their exploration, or survival games for whatever. Hell the ones that just wanted large groups of friends could of just moved to facebook and played their lovely f2p games.

The only mmo that has got my attention over the last few years are ones with really weird combat and most of those are terrible asian games. But on the other hand, it made a lot of posts in the griefing thread.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Griefing is the best part of any multiplayer game.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mike-o posted:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mike-o posted:

oH I'm GoInG uNdErWaTeR SHUT THE gently caress UP

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Two Finger posted:

http://www.imanewbie.com/

seriously i can't believe this is still up, i was reading this poo poo when i was in high school

ImaNewbie and WTFman.com are what brought me to these here dumb forums of ours.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

ImaNewbie and WTFman.com are what brought me to these here dumb forums of ours.

I came here from a forum called DaPlayasClub.

It was based around exiles from the Red Alert 2 forums, which were my first. That name though.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

tastefully arranged labia posted:

oH I'm GoInG uNdErWaTeR SHUT THE gently caress UP

:c00lbutt:

ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT8dmvAzIqA

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yo holly bloops did you pick a waifu yet in persona

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Throwing out the big dick

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
If we're talking about ancient websites, you have to mention http://oldmanmurray.com/ and especially their patented "crate review system" :patriot:

PS. The Long Dark owns. My first playthrough ended with me dying to dehydration in a fishing hut after escaping a bunch of wolves. RIP in peace.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I heard some of you nerds like factorio.

Like you got some sort of sperg problem.

I am an enabler.

https://www.openttd.org/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5CTLzjco1k

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Eh there's nothing trying to kill you while playing that. Also I'm into Farm Sim 17 right now.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I can't tell if you liked or disliked UO from this post.

Because UO owned. Started playing in 98, and there was so much classic and stupid fun to be had.

Much like my first enlistment I loved and hated it in equal measure, it was a unique experience. Still want to kill people in a game, turn them into jerky and wear them as a hat.

I guess my complaint is that people either try to recreate it exactly, and forget that it's years later, there's other simple quality of life poo poo people expect in a game now, or there's some other stupid un-fun bullshit like a korean style grind involved. PUBG takes care of a lot of my desire to murder people online these days.

Didn't Old Man Murray have a "time to first crate" metric they used in every review?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Third World Reggin posted:

I heard some of you nerds like factorio.

Like you got some sort of sperg problem.

I am an enabler.

https://www.openttd.org/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5CTLzjco1k

If i wanted to sperg out I would install Angels and Bobs mods

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Titanfall patch is live across all platforms apparently

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
And Frontier Defense 2.0 loving owns holy crap

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Just had my favorite win in PUBG. My wife surprised me with dinner in the middle of the match so I played about 2/3rds of the match while eating spaghetti. Left me a little low on ammo towards the end since I had only scavenged a total of 90 rounds of 556 by the end of the game.

The circle ended up in some rough terrain at the very end and I had 25 rounds left with two guys remaining. One of them popped up and I put a few bullets in him, but he managed to get behind cover and I was left with 16 rounds. Fortunately for me he spotted the 2nd guy and they exchanged fire but neither died. They were both completely covered from me so I threw two frags, one at each of them. First one blows and kills the guy I shot. The other one goes off about second later killing the final guy.

In the image, one of them was to the left of the tree and the other was behind that bush I'm aiming near.

I've had some good PUBG matches, but those kills were extremely satisfying.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Hop in the discord and join us sometime dude
https://discord.gg/D9mXNr6

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I had my first round of Rising storm with really :spergin: types and suddenly I understand why you guys love to grief those Arma type games.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Pesticide20 posted:

Hop in the discord and join us sometime dude
https://discord.gg/D9mXNr6

That'd be good. My friends that I played PUBG with are currently spending all their time playing some korean MMO called Black Desert and I could not get into it so I've just been doing solo matches.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Black Desert Online sucks and you should not play it.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I grabbed a Humble Bundle so I could get Saints Row 2 and 3, and now I have a bunch of Steam codes for games I already have and/or wouldn't ever play. Let me know if you want any of these and I'll PM you the codes. Free, first come first serve (EDIT: GiP regulars/semi-regulars only. D&D filth keep out REEEEEEEE).

Saints Row: IV - Game of the Century
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell (& Devil's Workshop DLC)
Risen 3 - Complete Edition
Deadlight - Directors Cut
Homefront
Homefront: The Revolution
Mighty No. 9
Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 26, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Can I have the homefront games?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ill take killer is dead if its free

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Two Finger posted:

Can I have the homefront games?

PM sent.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ill take killer is dead if its free

All yours, but you don't have plat. I can send the code to an email address of your choosing, or just post it here and hope nobody else ninjas it before you do.

And to jump on the bandwagon, holy poo poo I spent a lot on games over the last decade.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 26, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

fart

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 26, 2017

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

send it to redacted if its cool

thx dude

Email sent, you'll probably want to edit that out now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's an interesting address, tbh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arc Light posted:

I grabbed a Humble Bundle so I could get Saints Row 2 and 3, and now I have a bunch of Steam codes for games I already have and/or wouldn't ever play. Let me know if you want any of these and I'll PM you the codes. Free, first come first serve (EDIT: GiP regulars/semi-regulars only. D&D filth keep out REEEEEEEE).

Saints Row: IV - Game of the Century
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell (& Devil's Workshop DLC)
Risen 3 - Complete Edition
Deadlight - Directors Cut
Homefront
Homefront: The Revolution
Mighty No. 9
Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition

I'll take SR Gat out of Hell if it's still there. I'll probably only play it for 30 mins or whatever but games for the game throne.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

orange juche posted:

I'll take SR Gat out of Hell if it's still there. I'll probably only play it for 30 mins or whatever but games for the game throne.

PM sent.

Gat Out of Hell was actually the first Saints Row game I ever played, and it convinced me to buy SR4 (and now 2 and 3). I don't know how I'd like it if I'd already been familiar with the series, but as a standalone it was cool as hell.

Also, Kinzie > Gat.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arc Light posted:

PM sent.

Gat Out of Hell was actually the first Saints Row game I ever played, and it convinced me to buy SR4 (and now 2 and 3). I don't know how I'd like it if I'd already been familiar with the series, but as a standalone it was cool as hell.

Also, Kinzie > Gat.

Good news! SR3 and 2 are both better than 4!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

That's an interesting address, tbh.

its one i made for my sfv smurf account on my ps4

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I’ll take that Mighty No. 9, thanks dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Check your PMs.