Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Glazier posted:

Maybe signaling that the time for civility is passed when you’re trying to kill millions of people.

Do you not understand that the rules are different for these people?

You and I and any idiot on Twitter can go "gently caress McCain, he's a piece of poo poo, I wish he died" and that's all loving great.

If a Congressperson does that, they're gone. They're out, like, no questions asked they are going to lose their next election. Different things are different!

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, if they hadn't clapped, then they wouldn't have been caught on camera clapping for a guy who came all the way from a hospital in Arizona to be the deciding vote in favor of advancing a bill for taking away healthcare for tens of millions of people. I don't think anyone should be wishing McCain was dead or anything, but there's no reason to cheer for what he did today either. Politics isn't sports; if McCain's team wins it's going to hurt a lot more people than just unlucky gamblers and disappointed fans.

So "optics" is your angle here? It's bad optics for the Dems to clap, but if they had booed instead, that would be good optics that would win them lots of votes?

Reminder, they all voted against the motion. That is the important part, not the clapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

If a Congressperson does that, they're gone. They're out, like, no questions asked they are going to lose their next election. Different things are different!

This is just categorically incorrect no matter how many times you repeat it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

I mean, I guess I can't prove it, because no Congressperson has been dumb enough to actively boo a cancer patient in Congress, but you realize what I'm getting at here?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

[quote="“WampaLord”" post="“474715919”"]

You and I and any idiot on Twitter can go “gently caress McCain, he’s a piece of poo poo, I wish he died” and that’s all loving great.

If a Congressperson does that, they’re gone. They’re out, like, no questions asked they are going to lose their next election. Different things are different!

So “optics” is your angle here? It’s bad optics for the Dems to clap, but if they had booed instead, that would be good optics that would win them lots of votes?

Reminder, they all voted against the motion. That is the important part, not the clapping.
[/quote]

HAHHAHAHAHHAHA, have you forgotten who the loving President is? How loving dumb are you?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

WampaLord posted:

I mean, I guess I can't prove it, because no Congressperson has been dumb enough to actively boo a cancer patient in Congress, but you realize what I'm getting at here?

Trump is President and Gianforte won his race

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WampaLord posted:

I like senators who don't get brain cancer.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, it's just not true.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

WampaLord posted:

You and I and any idiot on Twitter can go "gently caress McCain, he's a piece of poo poo, I wish he died" and that's all loving great.

So "optics" is your angle here? It's bad optics for the Dems to clap, but if they had booed instead, that would be good optics that would win them lots of votes?

I think this is the important part. They cheered McCain being alive and participating in the process, which seems like the thing a decent human being would do. They didn't endorse his politics or his ideas. They didn't actually do anything wrong on the substance of the meeting.

There are some guys who I don't like at work, but if they got cancer that doesn't mean I'm going to literally boo if they recover enough to come back into work.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trump won because Hillary was the worst candidate ever, I thought we all agreed on this.

Now you're arguing he won because he was a total rear end in a top hat, and not in spite of it?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Democrazy posted:

I think this is the important part. They cheered McCain being alive and participating in the process, which seems like the thing a decent human being would do. They didn't endorse his politics or his ideas. They didn't actually do anything wrong on the substance of the meeting.

There are some guys who I don't like at work, but if they got cancer that doesn't mean I'm going to literally boo if they recover entirely ugh to come back into work.

What if your coworkers were killing tens of thousands of people a year with their bad decisions?

WampaLord posted:

Now you're arguing he won because he was a total rear end in a top hat, and not in spite of it?

They are saying, and stay with me here, that clearly lack of decorum does not preclude you from winning elections in America.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WampaLord posted:

Trump won because Hillary was the worst candidate ever, I thought we all agreed on this.

Now you're arguing he won because he was a total rear end in a top hat? and not in spite of it?

I don't see how you can twist anything anyone said to counteract your decorum argument as any of this. Please show your work.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

They are saying, and stay with me here, that clearly lack of decorum does not preclude you from winning elections in America.

No, lack of decorum did not preclude Trump from winning that one particular election, you can't extrapolate out to assume that every rear end in a top hat is going to win by being the biggest rear end in a top hat ever.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

No, lack of decorum did not preclude Trump from winning that one particular election, you can't extrapolate out to assume that every rear end in a top hat is going to win by being the biggest rear end in a top hat ever.

Much like you can't extrapolate out to assume anyone who cheers the death of John McCain is cursed with unelectability. In fact, it may even help!

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

NewForumSoftware posted:

What if your coworkers were killing tens of thousands of people a year with their bad decisions?

There's enough room in my mind to accept that someone both has incredibly wrong ideas and is not a genocidal monster.

And frankly, if you care about healthcare, the Democrats voted right on the procedural vote today. I don't know what else they could do to make it more clear that they do not support BCRA.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

Much like you can't extrapolate out to assume anyone who cheers the death of John McCain is cursed with unelectability. In fact, it may even help!

Well, good luck with that strategy, I'm sure it will work out great.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Considering what just happened, yours isn't working out all that great

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Who are these mythical people who would change their vote based on not clapping for John McCain? Are they the ones meeting at the Panera Breads of the country?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

All I want from the Democrats is the impression, the vague feeling that they actually give a poo poo about me. But it's painfully obvious that they care about an evil loving ghoul like John McCain and not me or my family, toiling away at a bunch of poo poo jobs that don't pay enough. Oh, you'll give money to the loving vampires I work for to retrain me for a better job that doesn't exist? Oh, you'll make a very sad face as you sit on your hands and make no attempt to stop the Republicans from making my very lovely healthcare even shittier? You won't even make pretend proclamations about single payer? You got absolutely nothing to help me not pay half of my salary to a literal rent seeker for a shoe box?

At least being a dick to McCain would me some kind of fleeting sense that we're even the same species.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Democrazy posted:

There's enough room in my mind to accept that someone both has incredibly wrong ideas and is not a genocidal monster.

I don't know if I'd call McCain "genocidal" but the modern day GOP is about as monster as you can get. The policies they pursue literally kill tens of thousands of people a year. I don't really know what to tell you, your example about your coworker you don't really like is a bad comparison.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WampaLord posted:

No, they're not. Nobody is going to hinge their loving vote on whether or not someone clapped for John McCain a year or two back.

Why does it have to be either clapping or booing? Maybe Dems could have done neither
and just sat there, just like when every other GOP senator entered? You're setting up a false binary choice where none exists.

WampaLord posted:

No, but they've done plenty to spurn cancer patients and other sick people outside of Congress. McConnell didn't seem concerned about civility when he called in the police to forcibly remove disabled people from his office. Chaffetz didn't seem concerned about civility when he said that maybe poor people could afford healthcare if they didn't buy so many iPhones. I mean, sure, they didn't insult any sick Congressmen, but do you really think a photograph of Dems not clapping for McCain would do more political damage than videos of Capitol Police beating up wheelchair-bound protesters and dragging them out of Mitch's office?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

It's called "caring about people", it's a work in progress but I think we're going to villify the men and women responsible for the greatest economic inequality in the history of planet earth. Or at least not applaud them entering a room.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I get that you're all angry, and I am too, but frankly, I'm glad none of you are political consultants.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Democrazy posted:

There are some guys who I don't like at work, but if they got cancer that doesn't mean I'm going to literally boo if they recover enough to come back into work.

I think there's a difference between "some guy I don't like at work" and "someone who's actively trying to physically harm me and the people I love" though, isn't there?

WampaLord posted:

I get that you're all angry, and I am too, but frankly, I'm glad none of you are political consultants.

Yeah, well, we saw your pre-election opinions and what they ended up being worth.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Frankly nobody cares about your milquetoast concern trolling

Also how'd waiting with bated breath for Nancy and Chucks' new plan work out for you?

Embrace cynicism and anger, it is the only way forward

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

At least being a dick to McCain would me some kind of fleeting sense that we're even the same species.

Same, unfooooooortunately...

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/889928988537303041

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

call to action posted:

Who are these mythical people who would change their vote based on not clapping for John McCain? Are they the ones meeting at the Panera Breads of the country?

Who are these mythical people who would vote Dem because they didn't clap for him? Do you think anyone other than us weirdos are watching C-SPAN on a Tuesday afternoon?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Who are these mythical people who would vote Dem because they didn't clap for him? Do you think anyone other than us weirdos are watching C-SPAN on a Tuesday afternoon?

Maybe the people dying because of his bad policies?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WampaLord posted:

decorum obsession within the party and its current consultant grifter class is part of the reason democrats lose at everything.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

Maybe the people dying because of his bad policies?

Don't you think they're going to vote D anyway, no matter what amount of clapping took place?

Matt Zerella posted:

decorum obsession within the party and its current consultant grifter class is part of the reason democrats lose at everything.

I understand this but in this particular instance there was nothing to be gained from acting like assholes.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I understand this but in this particular instance there was nothing to be gained from acting like assholes.

No, you don't understand it at all.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Don't you think they're going to vote D anyway, no matter what amount of clapping took place?

I don't really care because their senator is probably garbage anyways

voting d is the problem, not a goal

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The only time Democrats have ever not clapped for a Republican was during the special testimony on turtle conservation given by JEB!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WampaLord posted:

you're almost there buddy, you can do it!

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

All I want from the Democrats is the impression, the vague feeling that they actually give a poo poo about me. But it's painfully obvious that they care about an evil loving ghoul like John McCain and not me or my family, toiling away at a bunch of poo poo jobs that don't pay enough. Oh, you'll give money to the loving vampires I work for to retrain me for a better job that doesn't exist? Oh, you'll make a very sad face as you sit on your hands and make no attempt to stop the Republicans from making my very lovely healthcare even shittier? You won't even make pretend proclamations about single payer? You got absolutely nothing to help me not pay half of my salary to a literal rent seeker for a shoe box?

What did you want Democrats in the Senate to do today? What did they do that was not done?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, thing is, how is is possible for the dems to credibly claim that the GOP are evil, murderous motherfuckers when they then turn around and pal around with them, as if this all was just some big game? Because it kinda suggests that they don't see wanting to put millions of people in a position where they risk dying needlessly as a big enough reason to hold someone in contempt, and if that isn't a reason then what is?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Politics is just like a sports game you guys, you clap when someone from the other team gets back on the field to line up for the "take health care away from millions of people" play because we'll all get to watch a fun contest and it's not like it affects anything in real life, just a game.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Democrazy posted:

What did you want Democrats in the Senate to do today? What did they do that was not done?

Print out the pictures of 50 patients who died of cancer from lack of healthcare and hold them silently as McCain walks back in

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Democrazy posted:

Start a brawl and use it as a distraction to shiv the turtle for starters.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Democrazy posted:

detonate their suicide vests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WampaLord posted:

It's representative of the larger problem: Dems being more concerned with being nice to Republicans than with helping Americans.

• Locked thread