Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ojetor posted:

AFAIK there's no virtual table. It's just a big database with a character builder, which makes it baffling that they're charging so much for it.

loving really?

Like I know there are a lot of people who don't want to use the books and paper to make characters or are in online games and want an online character generator but who the gently caress is going to shell out for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
$2.99 a month might not be too bad if you need more slots than the presumably free level. But it really depends on what you can even use on the character builder, if you have to buy a book to use anything from that book then it is utterly useless. If it fills nothing out and you have to enter everything by hand then it is essentially worthless.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ryuujin posted:

$2.99 a month might not be too bad if you need more slots than the presumably free level. But it really depends on what you can even use on the character builder, if you have to buy a book to use anything from that book then it is utterly useless. If it fills nothing out and you have to enter everything by hand then it is essentially worthless.

I'm confused by the notion that there might a free version where you can make like, 3 characters, ever, and then it starts asking for money like some free-to-play bullshit.

They're seriously turning 5e into a video game :ironicat: (at least in terms of the cost structure, anyway)

If you have to spend $30 on the PHB just for the app to actually do anything, then loving :lol:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How the gently caress is WotC so loving stupid and bad at the internet?

Goddamn the are batshit stupid about loving business decisions.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

How the gently caress is WotC so loving stupid and bad at the internet?

Goddamn the are batshit stupid about loving business decisions.

Well, I mean it's nor WotC it's Curse. It's just another platform that has licensing from WoTC like Fantasy Grounds or Roll20 except without anything useful that those two provide.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ojetor posted:

If it was like DDI where the monthly fee gives you access to all content ever I might be tempted, but having to pay 25-30 bucks per book unlock is just hilariously expensive. No way a nice-looking searchable database is worth $100+ upfront payment on top of a $6 monthly fee to able to share the content with the rest of the players.

AFAIK there's no virtual table. It's just a big database with a character builder, which makes it baffling that they're charging so much for it.

I am guessing that poo poo's coming, because they'd be dumb not to work on it, but right now, yeah, gently caress that.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Megazver posted:

I am guessing that poo poo's coming, because they'd be dumb not to work on it,

:toxx: that poo poo

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

P.d0t posted:

:toxx: that poo poo

I am not confident that they are not, indeed, that dumb, no. Hence 'guessing'.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Holy gently caress that thread D&D Beyond thread is loving filled with apologists defending bad decisions.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

An online database customized to the medium sounds great, but not on a per-book basis costing 30 bucks each AND a monthly fee. Pass.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SettingSun posted:

An online database customized to the medium sounds great
It was called DDI and it was boss and it earned so much money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

It was called DDI and it was boss and it earned so much money.

How much did it earn? I never heard how the economics on that turned out.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Must not have been good enough for them to turn to a different model in Beyond.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I'll be running Storm King's thunder pretty soon and I was wondering what other DM's might do for players to spend some of their money. I think magic items are supposed to be way more rare and there are no specific rules for selling magic items in shops. I figure there's probably some good guidelines to follow. I was either going to randomly determine magic item inventory in shops and price them based on the rarity, or maybe follow the UA for downtime rules section. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for this?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Subjunctive posted:

How much did it earn? I never heard how the economics on that turned out.
There was at least 80,000 subscribers as per this thread, and a yearly subscription was 70 bux, which gives over five million gross annually. That's obviously peanuts compared to anything that's not the RPG industry, but within the RPG industry that's a money fountain.

Importantly, that's the floor based on people with DDI accounts who also used the Wizards forums regularly, when e.g. in the group I was a member of nobody with a DDI account posted on their forums. So it was definitely much higher than that, but by how much is pretty much speculation.

Also note that there are people still subscribed to DDI.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I'll be running Storm King's thunder pretty soon and I was wondering what other DM's might do for players to spend some of their money. I think magic items are supposed to be way more rare and there are no specific rules for selling magic items in shops. I figure there's probably some good guidelines to follow. I was either going to randomly determine magic item inventory in shops and price them based on the rarity, or maybe follow the UA for downtime rules section. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for this?

I'm running an SKT game right now, and honestly I just use the tiered pricing info in the DMG to determine how much any given item costs and restrict magic item purchases to major cities. As far as selling them I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing in reverse, but in my experience players don't generally want to give up magic items even if they never use them. Honestly, if establishing a money sink for all their treasure is what you're after, then selling magic items is probably going to just do the opposite. Another idea for mitigating an ever growing pile of treasure is tracking wilderness supplies. SKT spends a lot of time on the road, so making your players track rations and such is a fairly reliable expense. (if miniscule)

Or you could always have them periodically encounter curiosity shops that sell discounted magic items that don't necessarily convey mechanical benefits. Like a salt shaker that can produce a finite amount of whatever spice the player names a few times a day. Or a wooden comb that removes all static electricity in one's hair. Novelty items like this also open a door for your players to use them creatively, in which case you should obviously let them. Within reason, of course.

Just a general DM suggestion though, I would save tailored magic items (e.g. an Oathbow for the ranger, or a Giantslayer greatsword for the barb) for side quests and/or quest rewards so that they lend more weight to those proceedings. Then when you're stocking magic item shops, either roll randomly on some tables and remove any of those specific kinds of items by hand, or maybe establish that magic shops only deal in generic magic items like +1 equipment and that the good stuff is out in the world.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hahaha holy poo poo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

There was at least 80,000 subscribers as per this thread, and a yearly subscription was 70 bux, which gives over five million gross annually. That's obviously peanuts compared to anything that's not the RPG industry, but within the RPG industry that's a money fountain.

Importantly, that's the floor based on people with DDI accounts who also used the Wizards forums regularly, when e.g. in the group I was a member of nobody with a DDI account posted on their forums. So it was definitely much higher than that, but by how much is pretty much speculation.

Also note that there are people still subscribed to DDI.

I can't load that page for some reason, hmm. Are those subscribers who remained so for the year, or who ever had a subscription? I wonder what LTV actually was for them. Even $70 would be ridiculous.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We already knew this. I posted about this earlier. Like almost a week or so ago the price points were brought up.

Also I don't really get the complaints here. You have to buy the books on the device, but effectively your just buying the digital versions of the book. The sub while unnecessary is cheap and there is a free version if you don't want to pay at all that contains all of the OGL content. You lose access to some features.

Is this as good as D&D Insider? Hell no, but it's not horrible or anything.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 25, 2017

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

We already knew this. I posted about this earlier. Like almost a week or so ago the price points were brought up.

Also I don't really get the complaints here. You have to buy the books on the device, but effectively your just buying the digital versions of the book. The sub while unnecessary is cheap and there is a free version if you don't want to pay at all that contains all of the OGL content. You lose access to some features.

Is this as good as D&D Insider? Hell no, but it's not horrible or anything.

My personal problem, and I imagine the problem many have, is that I already shelled out full price for digital copies of the books on other media like Roll20 and/or Fantasy Grounds that aren't transferable to any other medium. This is just the same thing for slightly less money and with far less functionality than comes native to those other platforms. If the licensing worked out so that you only had to pay for books once and could take your digital copies between platforms, then that's fine and the argument just turns to "I could have saved $20 by buying on Beyond."

That's why people are saying their attitude would be different if the subscription covered all the published material without additional cost.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Subjunctive posted:

I can't load that page for some reason, hmm. Are those subscribers who remained so for the year, or who ever had a subscription? I wonder what LTV actually was for them. Even $70 would be ridiculous.
The link leads to a thread on enworld where they semi-frequently posted the current membership of the Wizards DDI Community, which you got added to automatically if you had an active Wizards forum account and an active DDI subscription. You got turfed out if your subscription expired (after a few day's grace period). So each time those numbers were posted they represented then-current users with active DDI subscriptions.

The yearly subscription was the cheapest option, so if a decent percentage of those numbers are high churn users just dipping in for a month then you can add another million or so to the yearly intake.

e: snapshot is the word I was looking for. A snapshot of active subscriptions (well, of the subset of active subscriptions that also had active forum accounts).

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 25, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

The link leads to a thread on enworld where they semi-frequently posted the current membership of the Wizards DDI Community, which you got added to automatically if you had an active Wizards forum account and an active DDI subscription. You got turfed out if your subscription expired (after a few day's grace period). So each time those numbers were posted they represented then-current users with active DDI subscriptions.

Interesting! I'll try from another computer later, thanks!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm going to be an rear end in a top hat here and make a broad assumption. That D&D beyond thread is filled with middle class gently caress you got mine white male libertarians with fragile egos that can't handle anyone coming in and criticizing the product as it interrupts their knob slobbing of D&D beyond.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

bewilderment posted:

My interpretation of Suggestion (and the Mass version) was that it's basically a Jedi mind trick (since it needs to 'sound reasonable' but can cause some large actions). So you can use it to say "these aren't the droids you're looking for" or "you want to go home and rethink your life", but once combat actually starts you can't use it to say "OK, everyone run away and leave us in peace".

I mean feel free to interpret it any way you want but... that's nowhere near what the spell text says. The only specified limitations in the spell are if you suggest self-harm, and that implies that anything that is not directly self harmful (not in an abstract oh but what will they think of me after sense) is allowed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

quote:

quote:

What about the DM's that can't afford a bunch of books? That's why there needs to be a $10 or $15 subscription that just gives you access to everything.
Nah, it's not up to Curse to help those of us (myself, as an example) that don't have a lot of budget available for gaming materials to figure out how we can get around to having the things we want to have.

If a person can afford $10 or $15 a month, then that person can save that money each month and make purchases when they have saved up enough to get something - and thanks to the pricing going on with D&D Beyond, eventually they'll be able to have everything and it won't be taken away should they want to spend their $10 or $15 a month on something else.

And in the long term, the current pricing actually saves a person money compared to continuing a $10 or $15 monthly payment.

Really, this option you present as "more affordable" isn't - unless of course a person were somehow to cheat the system and get long-term access without actually paying for it.

COMPANIES SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO CATER TO CONSUMERS. HOW DARE YOU QUESTION GODS PERFECT PLAN!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference#Rerolling_Dice posted:

Roll Queries
Sometimes you may have a roll (or a macro) which you want to change every time it is rolled. For example, you may want to roll a variable number of dice, or add a different modifier onto the roll each time you perform the action. Roll Queries allow you to prompt whoever is performing the roll to fill in a value when the roll is made. The syntax for a roll query is:

code:
?{Prompt Message}

/roll ?{Number of Dice}d20

/roll ?{Number of Dice|1}d20

Why does it do this twice? I think I'm supposed to only use one of these rolls. What does the |1 do when added to the thing? It didn't modify the dice rolls by 1. It didn't roll an extra 1. I think I just delete the second 1, change it to D8s, and emote properly and i'm off to the races with a variable dice divine smite macro but I just gotta know what that |1 means!

Also, that thing, where during character creation, and you have some skill like intimidation from two sources, and one pops free and you can apply it anywhere: Does that only work if you had literally no other choice? I can't say well my paladin choice is now intimidation and wow would you look at that, it seems that my background intimidation from soldier pops free and I can choose acrobatics to be a tin can doing beautiful flips all over the battlefield?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 25, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the 1 is the default value that's prefilled.

If it's rolling twice you might be in default advantage/disadvantage mode, which is to roll twice and let you sort it out. You can control it through a settings thing, and then a knob on the character sheet.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

$20-30 is a acceptable price for digital books, but not when it traps me in an ecosystem from a company that is notoriously bad at maintaining digital ecosystems.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kyle Hyde posted:

My personal problem, and I imagine the problem many have, is that I already shelled out full price for digital copies of the books on other media like Roll20 and/or Fantasy Grounds that aren't transferable to any other medium. This is just the same thing for slightly less money and with far less functionality than comes native to those other platforms. If the licensing worked out so that you only had to pay for books once and could take your digital copies between platforms, then that's fine and the argument just turns to "I could have saved $20 by buying on Beyond."

That's why people are saying their attitude would be different if the subscription covered all the published material without additional cost.

Yeah that makes sense. You don't really need D&D Beyond if you bought to the stuff on Roll20 or such, as that already gives you everything.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 25, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

admanb posted:

$20-30 is a acceptable price for digital books, but not when it traps me in an ecosystem from a company that is notoriously bad at maintaining digital ecosystems.

Is Curse noted as being bad at maintaining stuff?

(This is an actual question I don't actually know if they are.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah that makes sense. You don't really need D&D Beyond if you bought to the stuff on Roll20 or such, as that already gives you everything.

It doesn't give you a character builder, and the character sheet itself is pretty weak (let me retype all my spell details when you have them in the compendium, sure). They need to get with MPMB or something.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Is Curse noted as being bad at maintaining stuff?

(This is an actual question I don't actually know if they are.)

Nah, but they're dependent on licensing from WotC/Hasbro.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Maybe I'm just picky but I only want to pay for a digital book if it's, you know, a digital book. Not a subscription to a webpage on someone else's server.

I mean it isn't the same thing but I still have the 2e PHB that I bought in 1994. I have pdfs of RPGs that I bought probably a decade ago. I have absolutely no idea if, were I to buy a D&D Beyond PHB, I would be able to go look at it in 15 years to make arguments about how much better it is than 7th edition.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Other than "it's illegal" what reason does someone have to actually buy these digital books instead of torrenting them?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

$30 for a digital verson of a book I already own, with ads unless I also pay a subscription, and it looks like I won't be able to use it offline.

Get hosed.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

$30 for a digital verson of a book I already own, with ads unless I also pay a subscription, and it looks like I won't be able to use it offline.

Get hosed.

Bigly lols.

Soooo I think I got roped into running a 5e game (not exactly sure they want to play this but I assume they saw/play one of those 5e live play shows/podcasts). Other than grabbing the better/easier monster math system and using the not-garbage ranger stuff, any other big no nos to make this go smoother?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

kingcom posted:

Other than grabbing the better/easier monster math system and using the not-garbage ranger stuff, any other big no nos to make this go smoother?

Either start at level 3, or if you must start at level 1, either start everyone at their L3 health or add their raw CON score (not the bonus, the entire score) to HP.

If someone looks like they want to be a Berserker Barbarian, ask them to look at the actual rules for what happens when you take an Exhaustion level and ask them after they read that if they're really sure.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Holy gently caress I was trying to engage in that D&D Beyond thread and I just can't anymore. The general sentiment is "WotC/Curse has been benevolent enough to give us this much, how dare you think to ask for something more/different, you filthy poor!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So. Pay for a book you already own, paying way more then you should for a pdf, and in turn, you don't even get the actual pdf, but instead are part of an online subscription service where you have to sit through advertisements to use the book you already bought, twice, unless you pay an additional monthly fee, that's unavailable offline.

This is such a hilariously blatant scam, and plenty of nerds are still gonna do it, because it PROVES they're TRUE FANS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

So. Pay for a book you already own, paying way more then you should for a pdf, and in turn, you don't even get the actual pdf, but instead are part of an online subscription service where you have to sit through advertisements to use the book you already bought, twice, unless you pay an additional monthly fee, that's unavailable offline.

This is such a hilariously blatant scam, and plenty of nerds are still gonna do it, because it PROVES they're TRUE FANS.

Nerd culture is the worst. Think for yourselves and dont just support your sports team regardless of their actions.

bewilderment posted:

Either start at level 3, or if you must start at level 1, either start everyone at their L3 health or add their raw CON score (not the bonus, the entire score) to HP.

If someone looks like they want to be a Berserker Barbarian, ask them to look at the actual rules for what happens when you take an Exhaustion level and ask them after they read that if they're really sure.

Not sure how much hand holding the person wanting to play 5e will need ( I think they've never played an RPG before and they insist on this :( ) so I'll just do the 4e CON buff and see how we go. Good idea on the Berserker barbarian though as thats a nasty surprise waiting to happen. I think they want to play a ranger too soooo, we'll see how that goes.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 26, 2017