Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

When is this thread going to start discussing the minimum age that Republican children should reach before they are paraded into the town square in chains and quartered by horses? This poo poo about McCain is old hat already.

The real danger is from their collective spawn, who if given chance will grow to to avenge their forebearers.

i think you'll find the contrast between John McCain and some random Republicans is quite stark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

The reason they're doing this is that reading the amendments doesn't count as debate time.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Zore posted:

Have you read "Letter from Birmingham Jail"

I've been advised by a moderator to stop talking about MLK (PBUH).

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Rigel posted:

Who is the putative 3rd no for the skinny repeal other than Collins and Murkowski? If its someone from the "not evil enough" crew, then I'm not very confident.

I feel pretty confident that anyone who voted for the MTP will also vote for the skinny repeal, and that's definitely the scariest prospect. However, if the House declines to vote for the skinny repeal and they go to conference, then there's a decent chance that the House will demand something that will get a third no vote. Still, the Republican dynamic always seems to be moderates caving to the radicals, and I'm vibing that we'll see that again.

Kale
May 14, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

The US should just split into two.

I say that in all seriousness: I don't see how depolarization is going to occur. Currently we are headed for Civil War 2.

This is what I've been saying for a while. When you're this deeply divided almost straight down the middle 50/50 like the last couple of elections have shown and your policy platforms have devolved into just trying to dick over the other party and it's primary support bases as much as possible that's usually when you start to see secession.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPvrewHeOGQ

President Trump and the First Lady Participate in a Salute to American Heroes

I'm not sure what the hell this is, but I hope it's as funny as the Buzz Aldrin thing.

Not started yet.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Aves Maria! posted:

i think you'll find the contrast between John McCain and some random Republicans is quite stark

Not in this thread, no.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Rigel posted:

The senate passed something similar 99-0 (with one senator gone due to medical issues).

98-2.

Bernie Sanders and Rand Paul voted against the Russian sanctions bill.

Sinister_Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 25, 2017

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Not in this thread, no.

quote the posts to me wishing death on random Republicans who hold no power over policy decisions

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The arc of the sanctimonious universe is long, but it tends towards tedium.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

I also condemn the Republicans, of course. They do a hell of a lot more harm than some dumb posters here. I don't think I've been unclear on that point.

quote:

Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non­-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

farraday posted:

The reason they're doing this is that reading the amendments doesn't count as debate time.

Oh, sure - I mostly feel bad for the poor clerk who has to read it. :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rigel posted:

What? Elaborate.

The MTP was for a nonexistent blank bill. The other form of the bill exist as amendments to replace the text. The final bill must pass reconciliation to require 50 votes. If it doesn't than it requires 60 votes.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm familiar with the quote, and you're acting as if I didn't say I think the people you're ranting against are worse than your stupid bullshit. He said as vigorously, not to the exclusion of.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Don't be:

quote:

Ms. Haas began her service on Capitol Hill in 1984, when she worked for then-Minority Leader Robert H. Michel. For nearly 11 years, she served as his Executive Legislative Assistant.

Following a brief leave to work in the private sector, Ms. Haas returned to Capitol Hill in June 1999 to serve as Floor Assistant to Speaker Hastert. In this capacity, she coordinated the daily House Floor activity, including the appointment of presiding officers and other legislative activity.

Following her first term as Clerk, she served as Executive Director of the House Republican Conference and Minority Staff Director for the House Small Business Committee.

Ms. Haas attended public schools in Maryland and received a bachelor's degree from the University of Maryland, College Park, with a major in political science and a minor in economics. She resides in Maryland with her husband and two children.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait, if the Cruz amendment doesn't pass reconciliation and would make the final bill require 60 votes, why don't the Democrats just vote in lockstep for the amendment, then all Republicans could vote for the final bill and it wouldn't pass.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

This is 100% false. Unless by your logic Obamacare was already repealed in the House months ago and will also be repealed again and again and again.

I know you've been reading my posts, because you've been responding to them. So you know that yes, I do in fact know that the bill goes to the house next if it's passed in the senate today. I was having fun with the guy, stop being such a weirdo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kale posted:

This is what I've been saying for a while. When you're this deeply divided almost straight down the middle 50/50 like the last couple of elections have shown and your policy platforms have devolved into just trying to dick over the other party and it's primary support bases as much as possible that's usually when you start to see secession.

I think this is a pretty disingenuous way to look at the Democrats' platform. Their actions while in office tend towards actually trying to govern. They might not do it well, or at least do it well consistently enough, but they attempt to govern. Meanwhile, the Republicans' main thing is "if Democrats are for it, it must be bad, so we're against it." Yeah, "both sides" do some lovely things, but when one side is this much worse than the other, I think this both-sides-ism doesn't help anything.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

I'm familiar with the quote, and you're acting as if I didn't say I think the people you're ranting against are worse than your stupid bullshit. He said as vigorously, not to the exclusion of.

Huh, its almost as if your eyes just glaze over the "without, at the same time," and also missing the entire loving point regardless

Petr posted:

I know you've been reading my posts, because you've been responding to them. So you know that yes, I do in fact know that the bill goes to the house next if it's passed in the senate today. I was having fun with the guy, stop being such a weirdo.

You keep saying factually inaccurate doomsaying and I'll keep pointing it out. Only society can decide if any or all of us are weirdos.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Huh, its almost as if your eyes just glaze over the "without, at the same time," and also missing the entire loving point regardless

Pretty sure you're the one missing the point here, but I'm not allowed to talk about him so I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

When is this thread going to start discussing the minimum age that Republican children should reach before they are paraded into the town square in chains and quartered by horses?

Minimum age? What are you, anti-abortion?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The MTP was for a nonexistent blank bill. The other form of the bill exist as amendments to replace the text. The final bill must pass reconciliation to require 50 votes. If it doesn't than it requires 60 votes.

OK. We know this. (except for the blank bill part, that is wrong, it is not literally blank. The bill currently on the floor is the house bill, which they do not ever intend to vote on without a massive re-write via amendments)

None of this explains your inexplicable aggro to my post (a post which was also true).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Pretty sure you're the one missing the point here, but I'm not allowed to talk about him so I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Pretty sure KM isn't a D&D mod, but sure use that excuse.

gently caress it was posted earlier, but it was spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

I pay their salary and by god they're going to read those bills! :byodood:

In lighter news, Rick Perry took a 20 minute cal on pig manure with Russian pranksters pretending to be the Ukranian PM.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/889967011765374980

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

The US should just split into two.

I say that in all seriousness: I don't see how depolarization is going to occur. Currently we are headed for Civil War 2.

I really can't see how? Looks more like we're headed for right-wing autocracy, complete with a turnkey surveillance state and a culture built on oligarchic capitalism. I don't think the anti-Trump forces are going to be able to muster force enough to equal say, the US Military.

Russia is a lot more likely outcome than Syria.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wait, if the Cruz amendment doesn't pass reconciliation and would make the final bill require 60 votes, why don't the Democrats just vote in lockstep for the amendment, then all Republicans could vote for the final bill and it wouldn't pass.

They could strip the amendment later if necessary, and this gives the Dems the headache of explaining why they voted for the Cruz amendment in 2018. It would completely undercut their political advantage, and activists would be outraged and/or demoralized.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

heller has had his leash so firmly yanked by Wynn and Adelson that he's pre-approving of the skinny repeal:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/889970111649529856

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

farraday posted:

I pay their salary and by god they're going to read those bills! :byodood:

In lighter news, Rick Perry took a 20 minute cal on pig manure with Russian pranksters pretending to be the Ukranian PM.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/889967011765374980

Man, this season of Reality really sucks, bring back the old show runners

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Um...

Hmm.

I'm sure there is a very good reason but at the moment I have no idea what it is.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's a good question, although I guess it runs the risk that the Republicans might ditch the fillibuster and then pass the bill out of shear spite? But they barely have the votes for the bill, it's hard to imagine them being able to pull that off...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

the amendment is subject to 60 votes to get added (or to defeat a point of order) but if it gets them, then the final bill still only needs 50

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

the black husserl posted:

I really can't see how? Looks more like we're headed for right-wing autocracy, complete with a turnkey surveillance state and a culture built on oligarchic capitalism. I don't think the anti-Trump forces are going to be able to muster force enough to equal say, the US Military.

Russia is a lot more likely outcome than Syria.

Yeah, the right already imprisons millions of young men, a disproportionate share of which come from minority communities. Those are the communities which would be most threatening to an actual right authoritarian government in this country (comfortable white college grads who are into Marx aren't taking to the streets if real bullets start being fired), so if push came to shove I'm sure they'd be willing to increase the repression. Liberals and the left can't win a street fight at this moment in American history, and pushing for violence will just be used to justify more repression.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/AP/status/889970897280434178

Seeing that sanctuary cities are already defying the law I'm not sure where this is supposed to be going

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

*ahem*

gently caress John McCain,
A lovely little coward
With a tumor in his brain.

Karl Rove broke his spirit
Palin drove him insane.

I hope the fucker dies
In fear and in pain.

For crashing this country,
Like he crashed his plane.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

*ahem*

A lovely little coward
With a tumor in his brain.

Karl Rove broke his spirit
Palin drove him insane.

I hope the fucker dies
In fear and in pain.

For crashing this country,
Like he crashed his plane.

I can agree with verses 1, 2 and 4 at least, so at least we have some common ground.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

the amendment is subject to 60 votes to get added (or to defeat a point of order) but if it gets them, then the final bill still only needs 50

That' s right. Basically the 60 vote threshold is to waive the Byrd rule for that amendment.

http://archives.democrats.rules.house.gov/archives/byrd_rule.htm

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Aves Maria! posted:

quote the posts to me wishing death on random Republicans who hold no power over policy decisions

dont they vote?

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Sinteres posted:

I can agree with verses 1, 2 and 4 at least, so at least we have some common ground.

When your loved ones are homeless and dying because of easily-treatable medical problems, you'll come around on 3.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

evilweasel posted:

heller has had his leash so firmly yanked by Wynn and Adelson that he's pre-approving of the skinny repeal:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/889970111649529856
Pretty skeptical that Lindsey Graham is going to stick with his position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

I think the plan is for the Dems to shockingly vote for the Cruz amendment to get it added, but then vote no on the final bill. If the GOP doesn't have 50 votes for the Cruz bill, then voila, Dems win.

I don't think it works because there would probably be a method to take the amendment back out, and even if there wasn't, its horrible politics and the Dems can't explain this 4-D chess move in a 30 second commercial.

• Locked thread