Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Istanbul is $24 on Amazon right now. Is it a game worth getting? I've heard opinions ranging from "This is a really good game everyone should own" to "Just buy Yokohama instead".

Istanbul is a fantastic light Euro that just about everyone can pick up. The fact that your constraint is time (well, and how many assistants you have with you) as opposed to resources, and that spaces aren't hard-blocked off from you by other players being there really make it feel a lot friendlier and less stressful than something like Agricola where you're trying to feed your workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I haven't really been staying up to date, but I saw that Boardlandia and Cardhaus both have ~$100 preorders up for Gloomhaven 2nd edition with September releases. I thought it would be closer to the $140 MSRP and a November release. But then I saw that yesterday the Kickstarter orders have been delayed to October, so I'm skeptical of even October retail: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven-second-printing/posts/1945408

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sequel to Mint Works is coming, a pick up and delivery micro game. Mint Works is a fantastic little worker placement that fits in your pocket, so I'll definitely grab this. This guy actually achieves what the Tiny Epic guy set out to do.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Istanbul is $24 on Amazon right now. Is it a game worth getting? I've heard opinions ranging from "This is a really good game everyone should own" to "Just buy Yokohama instead".

Istanbul is great, and well worth a place in most collections.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Looks like the old board game trading thread got archived.

I've got a copy of Blood Rage with retail expansions and Broken Token insert, and 5th Player Extras (NIS) that I wanna trade for some other kickstarter pledge.

I know I dont have the Wildboar Clan or the KS Exclusive monsters, but that poo poo is expensive as gently caress.

Looking for The Others, Dark Souls (dunno still, heard it plays poo poo), This War of Mine, or something else that catches my eye. Preferable a KS pledge, so that I can ask to tack on new addons or something.

I've got a few other games for trade, but would like to get rid of Blood Rage first.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Bottom Liner posted:

Sequel to Mint Works is coming, a pick up and delivery micro game. Mint Works is a fantastic little worker placement that fits in your pocket, so I'll definitely grab this. This guy actually achieves what the Tiny Epic guy set out to do.

Do you have any more information about this? When is the release planned? Mint Works looked really interesting for a pocket-sized game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Esposito posted:

Do you have any more information about this? When is the release planned? Mint Works looked really interesting for a pocket-sized game.

He just announced that he's working on it now. Kickstarter this year.

quote:

What’s next?
Well I’ve been showing pictures online a bit about it, but I’ve been working pretty hard on a successor to Mint Works that will be able to teach more mechanisms in a short period of time and still be able to be carried around in your pocket.

The next game is a “Pick-Up and Deliver” style game where players will be delivering mints to the cities surrounding Mintopia City. If all goes well, we will be bringing it to Kickstarter this year.

Pic of the game on his IG, looks great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRgnln2F0G5/?taken-by=jblaske

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

kinkouin posted:

Dark Souls (dunno still, heard it plays poo poo)

I found DS super repetitive and dull. Completely obsoleted by Gloomhaven, unless you're in it for the minis I guess.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Hopefully the KS for it has an option to buy mint works too, I can't find it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Hopefully the KS for it has an option to buy mint works too, I can't find it.

Keep an eye on the Amazon page, it's sold directly by the dev there. Just went out of stock but should be back soon. It's only like $13 with free Prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Mint-Works-Minty-Worker-Placement/dp/B06WLNYPRJ

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Keep an eye on the Amazon page, it's sold directly by the dev there. Just went out of stock but should be back soon. It's only like $13 with free Prime shipping.

thanks for the link. I guess cause it's out of stock it didn't even show up in amazon search for 'mint works' so I figured it wasn't sold there. I'll keep on top of it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

GrandpaPants posted:

I found DS super repetitive and dull. Completely obsoleted by Gloomhaven, unless you're in it for the minis I guess.

At this point it's pretty much Gloomhaven with Descent/ImpAss as a distant second place isn't it?

Gloomhaven's raved about, Descent has the app for 'endless' content, and ImpAss is good system with scifi theme.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Will this show up on Kickstarter? Mint works may be decent, but I only ever got into it because the KS offered free shipping to EU. I imagine if I have to order from a retailer I'll have to pay at least half extra for shipping.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Are there any tile laying worker placement games out there that aren't Cacao?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Carson City might be what you're looking for, especially if you want something heavier than Cacao.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Kashuno posted:

I like Expedition: Northwest Passage which isn't strictly worker placement, but it is enough if you consider Cacao to be WP.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

He just announced that he's working on it now. Kickstarter this year.

Pic of the game on his IG, looks great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRgnln2F0G5/?taken-by=jblaske

Ooh I'm definitely gonna Kickstart this, I adore Mint Works. Played it just yesterday!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

deadwing posted:

Carson City might be what you're looking for, especially if you want something heavier than Cacao.

drat just watched a quick overview of Carson City, and that's something I definitely want to play!

EvilChameleon posted:

I like Expedition: Northwest Passage which isn't strictly worker placement, but it is enough if you consider Cacao to be WP.

I'll have to check this out when I have a minute, thanks for the rec!

I'm not so sure I consider Cacao a WP, but a lot of people do and after watching an overview of it it definitely wasn't what I'm looking for. I have couple board game designs I'm working on but the idea for a worker placement/tile laying game struck me yesterday and I wanted to see what had been done in that field before I tried my own spin on it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I'm not so sure I consider Cacao a WP, but a lot of people do and after watching an overview of it it definitely wasn't what I'm looking for. I have couple board game designs I'm working on but the idea for a worker placement/tile laying game struck me yesterday and I wanted to see what had been done in that field before I tried my own spin on it.

Keyflower maybe? Archipelago also a possibility, though the tile laying is just one part of the game. Dungeon Lords is another stretch, in that you use workers and you lay tiles, but there's a lot more going on than just those things.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kashuno posted:

drat just watched a quick overview of Carson City, and that's something I definitely want to play!

I didn't like Carson City because of the way the worker conflicts play out. It's either dice-based (lol) or card-based, but either way the uncertainty just sucks and leads to weird kingmakery circumstances. This is purely anecdotal, but of the three games of CC I've played, two of them ended with a kingmaker move. It just felt very unsatisfying to win and lose because one person decided to go on your space instead of someone else's, despite there being no difference whose space was chosen.

Compare it to something like, say, Argent where if you're getting pushed off or pushing someone off, you know the costs and benefits associated with the option without having to adapt for random luck / player vindictiveness (maybe a bit of the latter in Argent, considering).

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Kashuno posted:

I'll have to check this out when I have a minute, thanks for the rec!

Northwest Passage is more of a exploration race game with an action-point mechanic that uses worker meeples to track action points also you may have to split your points pool between two part of the game (boat and sled). It's still good, I just don't think it's a worker placement.

I find Cacao is more a worker placement than NP since you're placing workers (affixed to tiles) on (next to) jungle spaces that gain you resources/game actions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kashuno posted:

King Chocolate, sort of.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Jedit posted:

King Chocolate, sort of.

King Chocolate is a good game, but a worker placement has to have some sort of action drafting. You can't block a player from an action in King Chocolate, so it's more of an tile-laying Puerto Rico/RftG/San Juan. The winner is the player with the strongest partial engine that can effectively leach off of other player's moves.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ketchup vs catsup posted:

CMON's Game of Thrones miniatures game launches on kickstarter at noon pacific time.
How fast to $1 million?

Cool Mormont Or Not

Cryptic Maester Or Not

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

it looks worse than I imagined. Yuck.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-tabletop-miniatures-game

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I've got something for you that looks worse

http://www.buzzerblog.com/2017/07/25/first-look-legends-of-the-hidden-temple-board-game/

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The movement animations look like x-wing: GOT. And 20-30 for shipping to Europe...

I beginning to think backing Gloomhaven 2nd edition on a whim was a way smarter decision than I am aware.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Rolling movement on a charge, very innovative rules!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bottom Liner posted:

I ended up having to get a friend bring a copy back from America since nobody here stocked it and nobody online would ship it here.

Definitely jumping on the Kickstarter for the follow-up.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Kinda am, but for 500 bucks for EVERY mini? I aint made of money :(

Already (possibly) have Gloomhaven on the way, waiting to hear back from friend.

Crackbone posted:

At this point it's pretty much Gloomhaven with Descent/ImpAss as a distant second place isn't it?

Gloomhaven's raved about, Descent has the app for 'endless' content, and ImpAss is good system with scifi theme.

I wanna get into either of these, but see above about not being made of money :(

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the KS exclusive miniature's only ability is "whoever wins the game can describe what happened in the game any way they like, and the loser can't challenge the telling ever. or until they beat the winner in another game."

Yeah.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Minis and game of thrones, why would they even bother to try? They could ship GoT monopoly with minis and it would make a million in less than a week

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Minis and game of thrones, why would they even bother to try? They could ship GoT monopoly with minis and it would make a million in less than a week

This will make a million in less than a day. Already reached the only 4 stretch goals announced so far.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That GOT game looks directly compatible with that Runewars minis game. They are both ugly.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

So they're making the Runewars mini wargame except kind of rear end and with a Game of Thrones coat of paint. I can't imagine the IP will be enough to give a new wargame any kind of meaningful foothold or longevity. Seems like a fool's errand to go that route instead of a more self-contained board game.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
As someone who was super hyped for DS, I pretty much only get to play it with others when doing a quick boss attack type game. The minis are excellent and will definitely see use in d&d, but the game itself with the base rules is too greedy with regards to time and table space. It helps sorting the cards and minis for quick setup, kinda like mage knight.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Feels dam good to win a <2 hour game of war of the ring via a free people's military victory. MVP treebeard smashing orthanc in 2 siege rounds.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gumdrop Larry posted:

So they're making the Runewars mini wargame except kind of rear end and with a Game of Thrones coat of paint. I can't imagine the IP will be enough to give a new wargame any kind of meaningful foothold or longevity. Seems like a fool's errand to go that route instead of a more self-contained board game.

The minis themselves seem pretty boring by and large. They're like historical minis but with less character and not actually historical.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I went looking for a video on Caylus - it's been a few years since I've played and I needed a rules refresher before I taught some people. While doing so I happened to find this fairly new rules explanation channel called Teach The Table and I figured I'd pass it along. It's pretty good from what I've seen! It seems focused on euro games so far but I don't know if that's a coincidence or not.

Channel Link here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ZhMNJ7U84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Gumdrop Larry posted:

FFG has the boardgame license. Probably exclusively. I'm guessing they didn't bother to secure the miniatures license though.