Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Some by relatively few of these guys have symptoms of BDD imo and if you qualify them then basically all women would have the disorder to a worse extent. Attractive people are treated better and pathologizing some guy who wants a stronger jawline because it would improve his social standing doesn't seem fair either

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

i like that posted:

Some by relatively few of these guys have symptoms of BDD imo and if you qualify them then basically all women would have the disorder to a worse extent. Attractive people are treated better and pathologizing some guy who wants a stronger jawline because it would improve his social standing doesn't seem fair either

Look at all that's involved in a Le Fort surgery or distraction osteogenesis and tell me that fantasizing over having those surgeries isn't pathological.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

i like that posted:

Some by relatively few of these guys have symptoms of BDD imo and if you qualify them then basically all women would have the disorder to a worse extent.

:catbert:

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

madeupfred posted:

Look at all that's involved in a Le Fort surgery or distraction osteogenesis and tell me that fantasizing over having those surgeries isn't pathological.

I don't think it is. I'm also a woman though and we learn at extremely young ages that looks are our worth p much. Some surgeries carry more risk than others (I assume few surgeons would consider orbital rim implants or whatever theyre on about lol) but I don't judge them for wanting to be more attractive in what is a superficial society :shrug:

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

i like that posted:

I don't think it is. I'm also a woman though and we learn at extremely young ages that looks are our worth p much. Some surgeries carry more risk than others (I assume few surgeons would consider orbital rim implants or whatever theyre on about lol) but I don't judge them for wanting to be more attractive in what is a superficial society :shrug:

There is a world of loving difference between "looks are our worth p much" and feeling suicidally depressed because you've convinced yourself you're useless, sexless, subhuman garbage because your wrist diameter is half an inch too narrow or your maxilla is inflected 10 degrees from the lower bound of optimal.

madeupfred fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 25, 2017

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

You'd probably have better luck finding a unicorn than a woman living in our society who doesn't feel bad about some part of her body.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Pththya-lyi posted:

You'd probably have better luck finding a unicorn than a woman living in our society who doesn't feel bad about some part of her body.

I would argue that this transcends gender. All of us have been told that we need to be barbie and ken. It's rough sometimes because quite often dudes won't even get that kinda poo poo out in the air for fear of being stigmatized.

Then again there are non-mentally ill ways to deal with these feelings.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I just find male models with desirable body features, kill them, stitch together some kind of frankensteinian abomination and then use Python to import my consciousness to my superior body. I think that's pretty common though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

this is actually what I was trying to communicate but I couldn't find a good smilie for it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

I just find male models with desirable body features, kill them, stitch together some kind of frankensteinian abomination and then use Python to import my consciousness to my superior body. I think that's pretty common though.

In Python 3 you can make a generator function that yields specific parts of your brain individually so you can, for example, remove certain memories on the fly. Pretty handy IMO

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

I would argue that this transcends gender. All of us have been told that we need to be barbie and ken. It's rough sometimes because quite often dudes won't even get that kinda poo poo out in the air for fear of being stigmatized.

Then again there are non-mentally ill ways to deal with these feelings.

Male body image issues are also in kind of a weird place because bringing it up can lead to pushback that it is trying to downplay an issue that disproportionately affects women. Which is a fair thing to say because there are people who actually do try to bring it up for that exact purpose.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

chumbler posted:

Male body image issues are also in kind of a weird place because bringing it up can lead to pushback that it is trying to downplay an issue that disproportionately affects women. Which is a fair thing to say because there are people who actually do try to bring it up for that exact purpose.

It's just a dichotomy that you have to deal with. Modern masculinity can be so confusing to navigate these days.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

The exact opposite of this is happening in this very thread... heck even on this exact page! I bring up male BDD and immediately it is delegitimized because, uh really, if you think about it actually this isn't REALLY BDD because this is what all girls feel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Modern masculinity seems pretty easy: you look pretty and sociable for women and enjoy your time in your gilded cage once a lady choses you to be her sweet.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Barudak posted:

Modern masculinity seems pretty easy: you look pretty and sociable for women and enjoy your time in your gilded cage once a lady choses you to be her sweet.

But then you are stuck in there while she's out riding the Cock Carousel.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Barudak posted:

Man, you got this life thing figured out. Will you balance my checkbook???

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

madeupfred posted:

There is a world of loving difference between "looks are our worth p much" and feeling suicidally depressed because you've convinced yourself you're useless because your wrist diameter is half an inch too narrow or your maxilla is inflected 10 degrees from the lower bound of optimal.

Yeah I guess but on the quest for beauty women inject silicone and cement in their rear end in hotel rooms and I don't know why that's less hosed up than jaw surgery, which females have also been doing for a long time too? Being depressed because you're actually ugly and wanting your nose slightly smaller or your jaw more prominent or you're AA tits is not BDD, it's reality.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

But then you are stuck in there while she's out riding the Cock Carousel.

A good husband would have a prim and proper home such that there would be no wandering for the lack of his talents.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

madeupfred posted:

The exact opposite of this is happening in this very thread... heck even on this exact page! I bring up male BDD and immediately it is delegitimized because, uh really, if you think about it actually this isn't REALLY BDD because this is what all girls feel.

It's not so much that these dudes are exhibiting pathology so much as they're using that pathology to argue that women should be forced to be their slaves. Even if they are suffering, there's really no excuse for that kind of thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Man, you got this life thing figured out. Will you balance my checkbook???

A man has not the intellect for such things, he should accept his allotment from his wife and plan the family expenses as best they see fit, keeping in mind foremost of course, the happiness of their wife.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's not that I have no value because I'm ugly. I'm ugly because I have no value. Hth

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

It's not that I have no value because I'm ugly. I'm ugly because I have no value. Hth

:vince:

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's not so much that these dudes are exhibiting pathology so much as they're using that pathology to argue that women should be forced to be their slaves. Even if they are suffering, there's really no excuse for that kind of thing.

Yes that is exactly what I said in my first post!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

madeupfred posted:

Yes that is exactly what I said in my first post!

Then we've just been arguing past each other 'cause I thought you meant the exact opposite. Chalk it up to poor reading comprehension on my part.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

i like that posted:

Yeah I guess but on the quest for beauty women inject silicone and cement in their rear end in hotel rooms and I don't know why that's less hosed up than jaw surgery, which females have also been doing for a long time too? Being depressed because you're actually ugly and wanting your nose slightly smaller or your jaw more prominent or you're AA tits is not BDD, it's reality.

You're really not getting this. Everyone on earth would like to lose five pounds. Everyone on earth would like to look more attractive. The pathology comes from, like you have observed from that incel graph, these are perfectly normal looking men who have completely destroyed their self worth over poo poo like the diameter of their loving wrists. Take a step back from this and really think about that. There's an incel subset that is contemplating suicide because they have decided they are subhuman because their wrists are 6.5" in diameter and women only want men with 7"+ wrists.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

madeupfred posted:

You're really not getting this. Everyone on earth would like to lose five pounds. Everyone on earth would like to look more attractive. The pathology comes from, like you have observed from that incel graph, these are perfectly normal looking men who have completely destroyed their self worth over poo poo like the diameter of their loving wrists. Take a step back from this and really think about that. There's an incel subset that is contemplating suicide because they have decided they are subhuman because their wrists are 6.5" in diameter and women only want men with 7"+ wrists.

6.5" in diameter is some pretty massive wrists

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Jesus, just shut up already. You don't pay :10bux: to be on SA, where making fun of the mentally ill is a cornerstone, and then complain that people are making fun of the mentally ill.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Excuse me sir, I am a paying customer and I will complain as I see fit.

In fact I think I'd like to speak to your manager

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Excuse me sir, I am a paying customer and I will complain as I see fit.

In fact I think I'd like to speak to your manager

I would not recommend someone of your age to talk to the management here.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hahaha did they seriously include Nicola Tesla on there as a Chad? Tesla, the guy who believed his chastity was extremely important to his scientific studies? The guy who preferred to minimize his social contact and focus on his work? That Tesla?

EDIT: Mind his never getting married or having sexual relationships with women wasn't for lack of trying on the part of other people. Maybe that's why he's a Chad?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PetraCore posted:

Hahaha did they seriously include Nicola Tesla on there as a Chad? Tesla, the guy who believed his chastity was extremely important to his scientific studies? The guy who preferred to minimize his social contact and focus on his work? That Tesla?

EDIT: Mind his never getting married or having sexual relationships with women wasn't for lack of trying on the part of other people. Maybe that's why he's a Chad?

A Chad and his Stacey

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
This one left me wondering how to feel :stonklol::

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

and the comments:

loving CHADDad!

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I love the contrast between them hanging around a virulently misogynist and racist hate group subreddit and their straight faced dedication to believing it's their slightly too small wrists that cause everybody to avoid them. It's the best part or the /r/incels experience.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

lazorexplosion posted:

I love the contrast between them hanging around a virulently misogynist and racist hate group subreddit and their straight faced dedication to believing it's their slightly too small wrists that cause everybody to avoid them. It's the best part or the /r/incels experience.

:kiss:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

"Pop music written for the consumption of tween girls features romantically oriented lyrics!?!?! No loving way!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

smh can't believe this monument to bluepilled relationships up in a public space

• Locked thread