Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Node posted:

I've been afraid to ask this, but is the AI in this game... bad?

They're bad at trying to win outright, yes. Amplitude was more concerned with trying to make the factions behave certain ways, instead of trying to make the AI compete with the player(s); the higher difficulties just increase the AI's FIDSI output, not their strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Generic Octopus posted:

They're bad at trying to win outright, yes. Amplitude was more concerned with trying to make the factions behave certain ways, instead of trying to make the AI compete with the player(s); the higher difficulties just increase the AI's FIDSI output, not their strategy.

Well. Do I need to play on one of the three hardest difficulties then? Or is it still stupid? I'm used to Civ 4 and the AI, while simple, at least could pose a challenge. Right now I've played my third game, one of them I got caught in never ending dust healing cycle of the broken lords, and the other two I won effortlessly.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

"Hey, a Vodyani hero, I hear they're pretty strong, wonder why-"

:stare:

e:

Pedestrian Xing fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 17, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Consider me humbled. I'm on Serious difficulty as the Drakken. I border the Cultists who now have two guardians with a military score of 86k compared to my 12k. The only thing that has saved me is forced truces, and bribing the vaulters to go to war with them. Of course, they aren't actually attacking each other. How on earth can I save myself?

And how do peace treaties work exactly? I can broker a peace treaty, but the AI will immediately go back into cold war whenever the timer allows them to. I can't seem to build "trust," if such a thing exists in the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Peace treaties are basically cease fires.

If the AI is immediately breaking them once it can it usually means the AI has decided you're weak and easy to beat.

The AI generally respects strength more than anything. Except the drakken who have a vested interest in being everyone's friend.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Node posted:

Consider me humbled. I'm on Serious difficulty as the Drakken. I border the Cultists who now have two guardians with a military score of 86k compared to my 12k. The only thing that has saved me is forced truces, and bribing the vaulters to go to war with them. Of course, they aren't actually attacking each other. How on earth can I save myself?

Exactly how to salvage the situation, or indeed whether it is salvageable in the first place, will depend on your heroes, economy and level of military technology, but you can help yourself with shenanigans. The AI greatly overestimates the strength of its armies, so it's all but guaranteed to attack your cities without breaking down all the fortifications. If you put most of your forces in whatever city it hits first and win that battle, the damage that you do and the experience that you gain should let you win the rest. Alternatively, you can try outmaneuvering it. Attacking one of the guardians while the other one is out of reinforcement range is obviously great. If they stick together, that means that either they're not in your territory and so you can probably hold off their lesser units even with a huge military score disadvantage, or they are in your territory and you can try running past them for a decapitation strike. The Cultist home region gets a considerable fortification bonus, but elite armies with strategic resource weapons, the right talismans, the right hero skills/talismans and reinforcements are so much stronger than than troops without those edges that you might be able pull it off anyway.

You can also invest in influence to benefit from being Drakken. The game has changed since the last time I looked into how much force truce costs, but it might still be possible to produce enough to keep forcing truces whenever the Cultists get close to grabbing one of your cities. Eventually, you'll hit a peaceful victory condition or be strong enough to face them. Even if you can't do that, you're certain to be late enough in the game to grab the +50% health empire plan. It's far from cheap, but if the Cultists don't have it themselves, it's a huge edge.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mokinokaro posted:

The AI generally respects strength more than anything. Except the drakken who have a vested interest in being everyone's friend.

Which is kinda silly since their faction quest has a step where you conquer or destroy a neighboring city.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
gently caress simultaneous movement. I know that it makes MP easier but ugh. love to hit end turn and then click furiously like I've taken up starcraft and/or meth

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The cultists have Skoros and is blocking the path to their city. Every time I attack him he retreats, and the next turn he is at full health. I can't get past him. I thought there was a cooldown on his heal ability.

e: Well, it doesn't matter. On the other side of the continent Roving Clans has 7000 score compared to the next highest which was 2000, and they were almost at a scientific and a dust victory. Do runaway AIs happen often in this game?

Node fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 19, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pedestrian Xing posted:

"Hey, a Vodyani hero, I hear they're pretty strong, wonder why-"

:stare:

e:

Praise the Virtuals!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
How do I siege this city?

I can't get on top of the minor faction building so I have no way to attack it or lay siege on it. Did the AI just troll me?

Node fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 26, 2017

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Node posted:

I can't get on top of the minor faction building so I have no way to attack it or lay siege on it. Did the AI just troll me?

That's loving incredible. I think you're hosed if you need to take that city.

e: guess you'd better infiltrate it and start planning a coup or something :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 26, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Simultaneously the worst possible city yet somehow invincible.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
There goes an Elimination victory :qq:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Node posted:

There goes an Elimination victory :qq:

That city has to have poo poo industry output, meaning it'll be lousy at running Roundups. See if you can hire a Forgotten hero to infiltrate it and uhh... is there a coup operation? I forget. If not, just halve its population a lot and hope you can eventually somehow reduce it to 0 I guess

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Wait, no, there's a relatively foolproof method. Beat the poo poo out of that enemy until they only have that city and one other (which is better than that one), then demand Inga in exchange for a truce. They'll likely accept.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, no, there's a relatively foolproof method. Beat the poo poo out of that enemy until they only have that city and one other (which is better than that one), then demand Inga in exchange for a truce. They'll likely accept.

They haven't expanded beyond that city which is the hilarious part. I think they just want to sit there and tell me to go gently caress myself.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Node posted:

They haven't expanded beyond that city which is the hilarious part. I think they just want to sit there and tell me to go gently caress myself.
Declare a truce, trade them the tech that lets them build a seaport, and attack them as soon as they use it to expand beyond lovely Island? :shobon:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Angry Diplomat posted:

Declare a truce, trade them the tech that lets them build a seaport, and attack them as soon as they use it to expand beyond lovely Island? :shobon:

He just declared war on me. The AI is making fun of me at this point.

I just checked the map, he is landlocked. The only thing I could do is give him a city and then declare war. This game's AI is silly.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Node posted:

Yup. It's rare, but I have seen screenshots of literally impregnable cities in the past.

A small island in the ocean that you completely cover with burroughs works too, since you can't amphibiously siege cities.

Are you sure that's their only city? It doesn't have the capitol symbol (little crown).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So some comics have been released. I think they're okay, but man, that Horatio one... :aaaaa:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Geez. Horatio' a dick. But we knew that already.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Speedball posted:

Geez. Horatio' a dick. But we knew that already.

Aw I liked her ,oh well beauty has it's price.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Is there a half decent guide anywhere on good combat builds and what works best against each faction? I can't really get my head around ship composition and I'm not learning anything useful from the battles that I'm having.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Is there a half decent guide anywhere on good combat builds and what works best against each faction? I can't really get my head around ship composition and I'm not learning anything useful from the battles that I'm having.

The combat system is basically just if/then, for example, If they use lasers, then use shields, and if they have shields, then use projectiles, and vice versa

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I finally figured out how to play Forgotten you guys

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
So a couple months in, does anyone have any opinion they want to share on Endless Space 2? Has it held your interest?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Helion posted:

So a couple months in, does anyone have any opinion they want to share on Endless Space 2? Has it held your interest?

It's still a bit buggy, has pretty significant performance issues, absolutely no sense of balance, and the AI is still pretty bad. The combat system is what I would call 'just there' and the advanced combat viewer is clunky and bad. Haven't seen a meaningful patch in a while now, though they are doing some balance testing stuff with an Official mod on the workshop I guess.

There's some good stuff in there but overall it still feels very beta to me, and I've shelved it for the time being to wait for improvements. I definitely don't like it anywhere near as much as EL, though that isn't entirely a fair comparison I know.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, this is what I feared I'd hear :(

But still, thanks for taking the time to give your opinion! I will hold off buying for now.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's some good stuff in there but overall it still feels very beta to me, and I've shelved it for the time being to wait for improvements. I definitely don't like it anywhere near as much as EL, though that isn't entirely a fair comparison I know.

Nah, I feel that way too, even comparing it to EL at release.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

ES2 update: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forums/65-general/threads/27574-1-0-36-release-notes-preview?page=1

Notably, fixed ai getting mad about exploration ships

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I hope some save fixes got done in this patch - I bought this game for a friend and she simply can't save the game full stop. No autosaves, no manual saves, nothing.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Does this mean my exploration ships need more guns?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
They nerfed the ridiculously overpowered Vodyani hero skill by 50%. It's still probably too powerful. Going to play another Vodyani game to see how it goes.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've attempted four games, and each time started next door to Cravers and down the road from the Vodyanoi. They are NOT GOOD NEIGHBOURS for a completely new player to have, apparently.
Anyway, it's been a lot of fun. The Sophon quest has some great stuff in it!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
What's the best expansion oriented race? All my games I'm finding I'm just rushing to colonize every star that's habitable (because it's there and I don't want anyone else to have it! ) and then it's turn 50 and i have 13/6 colonies and am stuck in an endless revolution loop.

Do people ignore systems that don't give them an actual benefit and just spot settle anything with resources / positive anomalies? Is there an "ideal" number of colonies to have before you lock down and pursue a victory (barring conquest)?

Edit: I do take advantage of transvines and the happiness techs that exist but they only seem to do so much.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The Unfallen are the best pure expansion species, IMO. Their colonies grow super fast because of their large food bonuses, and they're good at generating happiness with pacifist policies.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I do like the Unfallen for sniping capital systems for a cheap conquest victory.

Completely unrelated, is there a reason why there isn't a GalCiv thread? Especially with the recent expansion I would have thought some people played it, but it's it just too bland? Bad? I enjoy it but no one seems to play it anymore.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

stardock is really unpopular. personally, it never struck me as worth upgrading from the somewhat bland galciv 2 either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Galciv 3 is an extremely bland game no one cares about made by an extremely lovely company.