Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Got the G5 plus. It was bigger that I thought, never had a phone over 5". Might need to replace some pants. But liking it a lot so far. Can you disable the google voice poo poo? I want the search bar removed, might not be possible without root. Also, any way to mute the screenshot sound? Sitting on a bus or train is a typical time to take a screenshot of a silly article and tweet about it, but then the people next to me think I'm taking photos of them. On my previous Sonys I think I had to install a specific app for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Seriously, gently caress my life. I pay $69 CAD/mo for 1gbps down 1gbps up 2TB cap fibre to my apartment, but $110 CAD/mo for 5GB on my cell plan

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

grack posted:

Fido's is that all toll free calls are long distance.

:stare:

Are... are you loving kidding me?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

canada_telecoms.txt

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

It's July 25th, where's my X4 news Motorola :argh:

Don't know, but the Z2 Force will be sold unlocked for 800 dollars lmao.

Meanwhile, HTC has a decent sale going on at the moment. The U ultra is $499 and the 10 is $399.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I posted this earlier but I get 1gb/day for ~5$ a month. India is all sorts of hosed up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mister Facetious posted:

I wish I were. Thankfully VOIP through Hangouts Dialer works just fine and doesn't cost anything (yet).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ola posted:

Got the G5 plus. It was bigger that I thought, never had a phone over 5". Might need to replace some pants. But liking it a lot so far. Can you disable the google voice poo poo? I want the search bar removed, might not be possible without root. Also, any way to mute the screenshot sound? Sitting on a bus or train is a typical time to take a screenshot of a silly article and tweet about it, but then the people next to me think I'm taking photos of them. On my previous Sonys I think I had to install a specific app for it.
Nova Launcher lets you remove the Google bar.

No idea on the rest...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I found out today that rogers charges $50 to unlock a phone, even if you paid full price for it lol

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 25, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

All the carriers charge for unlocking currently. That's changing this fall with the new CRTC rules.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
My Nexus 5X died and LG says they can fix the internal power issue that caused it to die for free, but they need me to pay to fix the scratch on the camera glass and the ding on the back cover. Any suggestions for getting them to do it for free?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mental Hospitality posted:

Ugh.

My MXP is starting to feel its age and I'm just waiting to see how the X4 is priced before I decide what to replace it with. Pixel 2 is out automatically because of the lack of headphone jack, so my choices are really just G5/X4/used Pixel at this point.

And yeah, I know fully that a used Pixel would still outperform the other two in all likelihood but I'm in love with the little things on my MXP so if it's priced around $450 like I expect I'll probably get it anyway.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mental Hospitality posted:

Also it's shipping with a puny 2730 mAh battery so be sure to budget $59.99 for a moto mod that makes it actually last 1 day :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm just gonna place this here for irony sake.

https://9to5google.com/2017/07/25/oneplus-5-emergency-number-reboot-explaination/

The one plus 5 reboot issue was a memory bug.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I'm just gonna place this here for irony sake.

https://9to5google.com/2017/07/25/oneplus-5-emergency-number-reboot-explaination/

The one plus 5 reboot issue was a memory bug.

Technically it was a modem memory bug which means they're gonna ship phones with dedicated modem memory now too, and brag about the fact that they put ram in their drat modem.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Gonna go with Firefox + ublock origin for now as I'm already familiar with the combo on PC. Will try Opera or Samsung Browser if FF doesn't work out.

Quoting for future reference:

Red Warrior posted:

Samsung's browser is Chrome/Chromium based and pretty good these days, install a decent adblocking extension like AdGuard Content Blocker and you'll be fine:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adguard.android.contentblocker

Still deciding on a music player. So far I've seen powerAmp, Mort, and VLC. Had a look in the play store and there are a bajillion of them. Is there any way to sort them (by rating, downloads, date updated, etc)?

New question: what is the status icon that I've circled in red? The manual doesn't seem to list it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FAUXTON posted:

Technically it was a modem memory bug which means they're gonna ship phones with dedicated modem memory now too, and brag about the fact that they put ram in their drat modem.

Yeah, I know it really had nothing to do with system memory. It was just too perfect though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Ofecks posted:

New question: what is the status icon that I've circled in red? The manual doesn't seem to list it.

Google seems to suggest it's Data Saver. Poke around in Settings - Data Usage.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Google seems to suggest it's Data Saver. Poke around in Settings - Data Usage.

Yup, handy for when you have a 6-Gig-a-month plan but unlimited high-speed cable.

I spray bandwidth like a firehose in-home and turn into a data miser when I move more than five feet from my house.

EDIT: Also, my 6P is gold colored, but I slipped it into a black Spigen case immediately so I didn't actually care what color I got it in. Eh.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Yup, handy for when you have a 6-Gig-a-month plan but unlimited high-speed cable.

I spray bandwidth like a firehose in-home and turn into a data miser when I move more than five feet from my house.

Ok, thanks. Noted and I will likely keep this on as I have very little mobile data to work with, but I'm home most of the time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kerning Chameleon posted:

6GB/month is absurdly high in Canada haha, that would cost $100+ here unless you're lucky enough to be on a grandfathered plan.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I get 7 or 7.5GB/month for $40 over here in AU.

Counterpoint: Internet is $100/month for 100/40 that actually performs like 40/20 most of the time due to congestion.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

FAUXTON posted:

Uh, almost all (all?) modern cellphone modems have their own RAM, NVM, CPU, and OS thoroughly walled off from the rest of the device.

edit: That's what the "baseband" is, the modem has to be certified by the FCC and various similar global agencies to transmit that it won't interfere or transmit on other licensed frequencies, it's on it's entirely own system so phone manufactures don't have to re-certify a phone all over the world again because they changed an emoji or something.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 26, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Three Olives posted:

Uh, almost all (all?) modern cellphone modems have their own RAM, NVM, CPU, and OS thoroughly walled off from the rest of the device.

edit: That's what the "baseband" is, the modem has to be certified by the FCC and various similar global agencies to transmit that it won't interfere or transmit on other licensed frequencies, it's on it's entirely own system so phone manufactures don't have to re-certify a phone all over the world again because they changed an emoji or something.

They're gonna ship a phone with 8GB system RAM and an extra 2GB on the modem chip.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Ofecks posted:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Gonna go with Firefox + ublock origin for now as I'm already familiar with the combo on PC. Will try Opera or Samsung Browser if FF doesn't work out.

Quoting for future reference:

Still deciding on a music player. So far I've seen powerAmp, Mort, and VLC. Had a look in the play store and there are a bajillion of them. Is there any way to sort them (by rating, downloads, date updated, etc)?

Give Blackplayer a shot, it has a bass boost slider if that's what you are looking for

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 26, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

My Nexus 5X died and LG says they can fix the internal power issue that caused it to die for free, but they need me to pay to fix the scratch on the camera glass and the ding on the back cover. Any suggestions for getting them to do it for free?

Seriously why bother?

Ola posted:

Ask the Assistant to take the screenshot.

Related, after using the Pixel Launcher for a while I can't imagine removing the search bar. I had no idea how much I'd use it until I actually left it there. Plus no way I'd ever give up my shortcut to the Google weather frog who is easily the best Google innovation of the last ten years.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Ask the Assistant to take the screenshot.

Ah yes. Instead of creeping out my fellow travellers, I'll annoy them and freak them out instead. Any voice assistant shot in any form can duck off, and I'm not happy about swipe input censoring either.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Don Dongington posted:

I get 7 or 7.5GB/month for $40 over here in AU.

Counterpoint: Internet is $100/month for 100/40 that actually performs like 40/20 most of the time due to congestion.
Unlimited free domestic calls and texts, 12 GB/month for the equivalent of $52, and if I somehow use that up, an additional 5GB is about :20bux:

My Internet is $36.50/month for 100/100.

:sweden:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

Ah yes. Instead of creeping out my fellow travellers, I'll annoy them and freak them out instead. Any voice assistant shot in any form can duck off, and I'm not happy about swipe input censoring either.

No, hit Assistant and scroll up, the option is right there as long as you're in an app and not on the home screen:

And you can set the keyboard to swipe swears all day long, works fine for me in gBoard and Swype.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 26, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Some new Pixel renders, apparently based on factory CADs, have emerged:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/26/renders-upcoming-pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-confirm-small-bezels-camera-bump-no-3-5mm-jack/

Thankfully, the bezels seem to have shrunk a bit even on the smaller Pixel.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

6GB/month is absurdly high in Canada haha, that would cost $100+ here unless you're lucky enough to be on a grandfathered plan.

I'm with Rogers in Manitoba, mine is closer to $70 with a 6 GB plan, and I actually pay less than $55 after taxes and corporate 30% discount through work.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So has anyone used an HTC U11 long enough to sound off on it, or is it still firmly in the "would rather have a Pixel for the pricetag" territory?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Incessant Excess posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/26/renders-upcoming-pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-confirm-small-bezels-camera-bump-no-3-5mm-jack/

No headphone jack, which is disappointing and hypocritical for all the pot shots they took at Apple for it when promoting the first Pixel phones.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe they looked at the iPhone sales

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Incessant Excess posted:

At this point I'm almost ready to resign to that poo poo. However, too bad there's still barely any BT headsets that support LDAC, and those that do, make you look like Robocop in some manner.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Combat Pretzel posted:

At this point I'm almost ready to resign to that poo poo. However, too bad there's still barely any BT headsets that support LDAC, and those that do, make you look like Robocop in some manner.

Isn't LDAC that HD audio stuff that isn't even relevant unless you're playing, like >1mbps FLAC?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe they looked at the iPhone sales

iPhone didn't sell better than the Pixel because it dropped the headphone jack and needs an adapter. It sold better because it was the iPhone. Also because the pixel was on constant backorder for the entirety of it's existence and also because people thought it was Verizon only.

I guess it has become the new SD slot and removable battery.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I really hope that's not the case because I use both charger and headphones all day at my desk and gently caress having to rotate two pairs so one can be recharging. I don't want to have to buy a Samsung explodophone just so I can drown out office noises.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

..btt posted:

I really hope that's not the case because I use both charger and headphones all day at my desk and gently caress having to rotate two pairs so one can be recharging. I don't want to have to buy a Samsung explodophone just so I can drown out office noises.

I agree with you completely, and wish the headphone jack would not be removed, but there are USB C splitter dongles that you can just leave connected to your charger, so you can use your normal wired headphones. Not great, but better than hot swapping them all day.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lowen SoDium posted:

iPhone didn't sell better than the Pixel because it dropped the headphone jack and needs an adapter.

What I mean is that the iPhone sales didn't really drop at all compared to the last iPhone even with the much publicized headphone jack missing.

And I also doubt the Pixel 2 will sell well either because LG will gently caress it up again and produce a few thousand units maybe and it will be sold out for months.