Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The_Franz posted:

remember that euro salaries are post-tax numbers, so if you see something like €4k a month that's your actual take home pay. unlike us salaries where the tax man takes his cut of that big number and your $100k salary only ends up being $50k-$60k in your pocket

in the UK this is definitely false. £50k does not mean £50k take home, it's before the government and NHS takes a 20-40% bite out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The_Franz posted:

remember that euro salaries are post-tax numbers, so if you see something like €4k a month that's your actual take home pay. unlike us salaries where the tax man takes his cut of that big number and your $100k salary only ends up being $50k-$60k in your pocket
yeah, not the case for the london-based jobs i was looking at.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

The_Franz posted:

this is not true anywhere in the eu

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The_Franz posted:

jre posted:

lol no

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

every salary i've seen in central and southern europe was listed as net pay

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Maximum Leader posted:

Both job offers I got in germany were pre tax as well. loving 40k EUR for being a computer toucher in Berlin and 55k in Munich

then Amazon sent me an offer for 140K USD :owned: Eurailures

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

My plan is to apply to silicon valley each year and see if i can't beat out the indian outsourcing companies for h1b visas.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

The_Franz posted:

every salary i've seen in central and southern europe was listed as net pay

I've considered moving to both Spain and Malta and neither was net pay so idk

Janitor Prime posted:

Both job offers I got in germany were pre tax as well. loving 40k EUR for being a computer toucher in Berlin and 55k in Munich

then Amazon sent me an offer for 140K USD :owned: Eurailures

nice, I guess amazon us?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Speaking of which, is it even worth applying for jobs for next year's round now? I've been told that December onwards tends to be hiring season for filthy foreigners.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

cis: "try back in a year, you were good at everything except coding" :smith:

back to waiting for the feds i guess

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you willingly move to the us from a developed country

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

sure my country has thousands of years of culture and interesting architecture and functional intra and intercity public transportation, but i could make six figgies to spend 50% of my income to live in a shitbox mcmansion in suburbia and only find joy drinking lovely beers in chain restaurants and posting on the funny computer section of a dead comedy forum

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

qhat posted:

My plan is to apply to silicon valley each year and see if i can't beat out the indian outsourcing companies for h1b visas.

except you'll get loving cadillac health insurance so you can glide above the poors and stuff and bug your eyes at the number of beggars in some of the richest loving places on earth
:justapply:

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
lol at impugning the beers in tech hubs and lol suggesting you won't have a great selection of hipsterass bars
you impugn the cost of the drat beers and you impugn the hipsterness of the bars
they will be very expensive and very hipster

they'll be good, but they will be so loving hipster

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

curufinor posted:

except you'll get loving cadillac health insurance so you can glide above the poors and stuff and bug your eyes at the number of beggars in some of the richest loving places on earth

curufinor posted:

lol at impugning the beers in tech hubs and lol suggesting you won't have a great selection of hipsterass bars
you impugn the cost of the drat beers and you impugn the hipsterness of the bars
they will be very expensive and very hipster

they'll be good, but they will be so loving hipster

ah yes, making multiples of the median household income in your adopted country so you can only relate socially to other insufferable computer touchers and their spouses that you all meet up with at your local suburban watering hole

also lol at only being able to enjoy good beer out of a bottle instead of draught

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
stack up the bills, enough to retire in your original place
don't suffer the insufferable spergs in this industry
sgtm tbh

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

curufinor posted:

sgtm tbh

:agreed:

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
this is super applicable to the indian h1b folks in the first place
avg salary in bangalore apparently is 450k rupees, a deec salary 10 lakh
450k rupees => $8k usd
10 lakh => $15k usd

so even if they get like 90k, if they can avoid too much of the cost of living, they can sock away more than they would've earned in toto, by like 2-5x

you need like usd $300k-400k to retire over there in luxury lol

curufinor fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 26, 2017

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

india isnt a developed country mate

(i lived in mumbai for over a year on a job assignment)

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
that is indeed trufax

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

got three phone calls lined up, here's hoping I don't anxiety choke. really hoping to crack 6 figgies

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

curufinor posted:

Sounds like an excellent deal imho

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

When the developed countries learn to pay figgies, I'll prob go back

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

qhat posted:

When the developed countries learn to pay figgies, I'll prob go back

got an offer from a korean company once for the equiv of $40k
lolno

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

curufinor posted:

sgtm tbh

I'm going to buy some property on a beach in Mexico when I'm through with this poo poo

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mishaq posted:

sure my country has thousands of years of culture and interesting architecture and functional intra and intercity public transportation, but i could make six figgies to spend 50% of my income to live in a shitbox mcmansion in suburbia and only find joy drinking lovely beers in chain restaurants and posting on the funny computer section of a dead comedy forum

oh no, my mansion isnt architecturally consistent and there is more than 1 of this restaraunt im drinking beer in

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dislike button posted:

oh no, my mansion isnt architecturally consistent and there is more than 1 of this restaraunt im drinking beer in

mansions arent made of wood and drywall, friend

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mishaq posted:

mansions arent made of wood and drywall, friend

what kind of loser house is made out of wood? - computer janitor

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dislike button posted:

what kind of loser house is made out of wood? - computer janitor

he's not wrong though. mcmansions are some of the worst constructed homes ever

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The_Franz posted:

he's not wrong though. mcmansions are some of the worst constructed homes ever

mlyp

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Shaman Linavi posted:

cis: "try back in a year, you were good at everything except coding" :smith:

i just went through a gauntlet today and really hope this is not the outcome (that i won't find out for several weeks lol)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

started new job today, it rules so far (I have no idea ofc)

theyre paying me figgies, they have a really nice office with all sorts of nice things, putting me up in a real nice place

protip: go work for a tech company that makes money or is at least on some series-c poo poo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol@ treating shares as a primary component of your compensation, especially at a startup.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

lol@ treating shares as a primary component of your compensation, especially at a startup.

shares are a primary component of many executives' compensation

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

Equity is cool and good and worth approx zero whole dollars of actual money, all of it, unless it's publicly traded in which case it's worth 50% of whatever you think it's worth

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mishaq posted:

shares are a primary component of many executives' compensation

Ain't no execs itt

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Equity is cool and good and worth approx zero whole dollars of actual money, all of it, unless it's publicly traded in which case it's worth 50% of whatever you think it's worth

my brother, have you heard of RSUs? real companies arent awarding employees "equity"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mishaq posted:

my brother, have you heard of RSUs? real companies arent awarding employees "equity"

Rsus are just bad isos right

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Rsus are just bad isos right

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

VOTE YES ON 69 posted: