Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yo this is it. Nolan literally can't do human emotions. The dogfight scenes were insanely cool. That sound design was off the charts.

As a fan of Battle of Britain, I really appreciated the effort that went into using real planes and not CGI, and also Michael Caine's cameo as the radio command for Hardy's flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it was a gorgeous movie. Hoyte van Hoytme or whatever he's called can really shoot an action sequence.

All the stuff with Tom Hardy had me so on edge, best stuff in the film for sure. Loved the shots of his POV looking through the tiny plane windows and mirrors. Dunno how they got imax cameras in those planes but it was worth it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it blows my mind that someone would be so into ghostbusters to drive around their own ecto-1 but not actually buy a miller-meteor to convert.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i loving hate you nerds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yeah it was a gorgeous movie. Hoyte van Hoytme or whatever he's called can really shoot an action sequence.

All the stuff with Tom Hardy had me so on edge, best stuff in the film for sure. Loved the shots of his POV looking through the tiny plane windows and mirrors. Dunno how they got imax cameras in those planes but it was worth it.

They used a cockpit mockup on a gimbal to shoot his scenes, and for the scenes actually in the air, they used a gussied up Yak-52 two seater to put a camera in and still look like a Spit.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

They used a cockpit mockup on a gimbal to shoot his scenes, and for the scenes actually in the air, they used a gussied up Yak-52 two seater to put a camera in and still look like a Spit.

😍😍😍😍

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the scene where matt damon dies in interstellar is a loving masterclass on tension.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To keep the Battle of Britain references going, the planes in that movie that impersonated BF-109s (the spanish built HA-1112) again played BF-109s in this film.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

just gonna watch this scene for the 1000th time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3lcGnMhvsA

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

To keep the Battle of Britain references going, the planes in that movie that impersonated BF-109s (the spanish built HA-1112) again played BF-109s in this film.

Did you listen to Nolan's interview with Simon Mayo on BBC4 last week? He strongly hints at the end that he wants to do a BoB film.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Did you listen to Nolan's interview with Simon Mayo on BBC4 last week? He strongly hints at the end that he wants to do a BoB film.

That film would be next to impossible to do without CGI nowadays. The original film was pretty much the last hurrah for a majority of World War 2 era aircraft on a large scale. They bought out nearly the entire antique collection from the Spanish airforce to get all the Heinkels and 109 lookalikes, and scavenged as many Spitfires as they physically could to get the massive dogfights.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, WW2 nerds are just as bad as comic book nerds.

and I say that as a comic book nerd

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What would it cost to build new spitfires, I wonder? You could probably sell some to collectors after filming...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

a bone to pick posted:

Yep, WW2 nerds are just as bad as comic book nerds.

and I say that as a comic book nerd

We only get to come out of our bomb shelters every few years for "significant" war films.

Entropic posted:

What would it cost to build new spitfires, I wonder? You could probably sell some to collectors after filming...

It's tricky because you need to make them safe to fly by modern standards. And Hurricanes are the harder one to make because pretty much none of the existing models are still airworthy. So you'd need to make dozens of obsolete planes, and then make them safe to fly, and still have them look period authentic. That's more cash than many studios want to spend.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 25, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dunkirk chat, a dude who posts in the Aeronautical Insanity thready worked on the shoot and has cool pics:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&perpage=40&pagenumber=1243#post474576717

Sadly Tom Hardy would not get into any planes.

Imgur album with the imax camera jammed in a plane: https://m.imgur.com/a/Sauv7

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

priznat posted:

Sadly Tom Hardy would not get into any planes.

He's a small guy after all

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That film would be next to impossible to do without CGI nowadays. The original film was pretty much the last hurrah for a majority of World War 2 era aircraft on a large scale. They bought out nearly the entire antique collection from the Spanish airforce to get all the Heinkels and 109 lookalikes, and scavenged as many Spitfires as they physically could to get the massive dogfights.

It always boggles my mind how a lot of major military hardware, tanks and planes and such, have become so rare after only about 90-70 years even though they were produced by tens of thousands during the wars.

Like there's only around 25 British Mark I-V tanks left and 41 French Renault tanks when they originally had 4000, both are from World War 1. Likewise there's only 238 Spitfires in varying states of preservation, Wikipedia says 54 are airworthy, out of 20000 built. And the Spitfire is comparatively common, the Hawker Hurricane, actually the main British fighter in Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain, had 15000 produced and all of 13 are airworthy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Times were very grim after the war and pretty much everything that could be salvaged and put to work rebuilding the world, was. That tank engine is now a tractor engine and so on. It costs money to store and preserve these things and no one wanted to spend that money. Technology was advancing at a breakneck pace and the cold war was starting up so why worry about a bunch of totally obsolete old stuff that was never really designed for longevity anyways.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most of it just got scrapped and recycled. You're not going to let good aluminum go to waste on an outdated airframe. Or it got disposed of like the German high seas fleet at the end of ww1.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Its a shame in a lot of ways, but sometimes the reason they get preserved can be interesting in and of themselves. For example, almost all of the Mark V tanks I mentioned that are around today are in Russia of all places, a number were sent there to try and assist the White armies against the Bolsheviks but after the Russian Civil war ended the Russians were much more lax about melting them down or re-purposing their components compared to be British themselves who got rid of just about all of the thousands they had after the war.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Its a shame in a lot of ways, but sometimes the reason they get preserved can be interesting in and of themselves. For example, almost all of the Mark V tanks I mentioned that are around today are in Russia of all places, a number were sent there to try and assist the White armies against the Bolsheviks but after the Russian Civil war ended the Russians were much more lax about melting them down or re-purposing their components compared to be British themselves who got rid of just about all of the thousands they had after the war.

Wait is this the Red Letter Medium thread of the Red Lenin Medium-tank thread.....

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Sorry, I'll show myself out...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If RLM were tanks, Rich would be a kv2 and Josh would be a t28

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Josh would be a septic tank

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
was the Battle of Britain better or worse than the Israeli Occupation of Palestine

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

was the Battle of Britain better or worse than the Israeli Occupation of Palestine

Definitely less controversial!

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

the victory at the battle of britain led to the israeli occupation so...

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

lol

also ww2 movie sperging should feel safe here we are just some big kidders in this thread it helps us deal with our alcoholism and terrible fathers.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

the scene where matt damon dies in interstellar is a loving masterclass on tension.

The lead up to it is just as important as the docking itself as without it it won't be much of a payoff if he just stole the ship. The dialogue and acting really sold how hosed up Matt with pure desperation as he rationalises his actions right up to the end with every polite warning given. The crew would have understood forgiving Matt taking him with them to complete the mission as they had enough to make it to the last planet.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
How much money do I need to get together to have Mike star in some live action recreations of space moose comics

I can just SEE this in my brain with Mike and Rich. actually animated with them doing the voices would also work.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is Rich Bald Dwarf or Marlo tho.

Actually Rich is BD, Josh is Marlo and Jay is Billy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

Is Rich Bald Dwarf or Marlo tho.

Actually Rich is BD, Josh is Marlo and Jay is Billy.

I'm down with this. This seems like classic Rich material right here

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Watching Mikey's reviews. He's got really low standards but he's insightful even when I don't agree with his review overall.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

super sweet best pal posted:

Watching Mikey's reviews. He's got really low standards but he's insightful even when I don't agree with his review overall.
I enjoyed his Zodiac review since that movie is really underappreciated and probably Fincher's best movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

achillesforever6 posted:

I enjoyed his Zodiac review since that movie is really underappreciated and probably Fincher's best movie.

Doesn't everybody think it's Fincher's best movie?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

General Dog posted:

I haven't seen his whole filmography, but Zodiac is rad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Breaks my heart that Spielberg has gone from Bridge of Spies to the uberflop of BFG and now this piece of poo poo

You either retire young or direct long enough to see yourself become the Michael Bay.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

General Dog posted:

Social Network and Fight Club are both better to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Michael Cimino's career became a joke when he was only 41. Take that, Spielberg.

• Locked thread