Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Alright well I gotta go so nobody do any trades while I'm gone. Unless that trade is Melo to somewhere other than Houston

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

chunkles posted:

Alright well I gotta go so nobody do any trades while I'm gone. Unless that trade is Melo to somewhere other than Houston

You've just jinxed it. Melo to Houston is going to go down 5 minutes after you go.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The Nets own

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

xbilkis posted:

I guess I'm just more down on Crabbe on that contract in that situation than most people, because I definitely think this type of move makes sense for the Nets

I would just be surprised if they couldn't find a better use of $18+ million in cap space than Allen Crabbe, especially with the market as frigid as it is this year. Why go after someone signed in a free-spending cap environment who didn't live up to expectations when so many guys are still available? Do they not have the luxury of waiting out a few more offer sheets this summer?

I think the market for those kinds of guys is dried up now, and they will have another 25+ million to work with next year, maybe more. This isn't really risky for them since there probably isn't any other avenue to spend money on now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cap space isn't milk. It's not going to go bad if you don't use it up before the date and the salary floor penalties aren't that punitive. It's just as valuable tomorrow as it is today and you don't know for sure what kind of wacky things will happened in a year. Or two.

Nothing wrong with using it to take a gamble or to collect assets, but using it to collect Allen Crabbe is kind of a waste.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Cap space isn't milk. It's not going to go bad if you don't use it up before the date and the salary floor penalties aren't that punitive. Nothing wrong with using it to take a gamble or to collect assets, but using it to collect Allen Crabbe is kind of a waste.
They need to be bad enough to get a top 5 pick in 2 &3 years, they want a capable core of decent players, and they need to be above the salary floor. Picking up players like Crabbe that have upside but not star potential goes a long way to slowly steering the organization to be in a position to capitalize in 2020/2021

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Also those role-player-for-way-too-much money contracts do get easier to move later on. Never know when some bubble team is going to decide they need to make the playoffs and pay for a rental of that kind of guy.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

DLo, Crabbe, LeVert, Carroll, Allen, Lin 6th is a really bad core, but 4 of the 6 could feasibly be part of a 2020/21 core

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

chunkles posted:

Also those role-player-for-way-too-much money contracts do get easier to move later on. Never know when some bubble team is going to decide they need to make the playoffs and pay for a rental of that kind of guy.

When Bev signed his contract people were saying the Rockets paid too much, now he has one of the best contracts in the NBA

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

DLo, Crabbe, LeVert, Carroll, Allen, Lin 6th is a really bad core, but 4 of the 6 could feasibly be part of a 2020/21 core

If Dangelo looks better running a with two second guards (Lin/Kilpatrick) to attack the rim, a wing who's a 3p machine, Levert can do all kinds of things, he'll look much better. Rondae will lock down people on the wing to make up for some of Russel/Lin's failings, Carrol is at least an NBA player, they have Mozgov at center to fill space, Allen to develop, Booker to be a journeyman old school 4, they're collecting assets and they have players who'll be able to put together solid games of basketball
Its definitely much more of an NBA team than some 76ers and lakers teams of the past few years

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Exactly and the lakers and sixers owned their pick

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hell yeah, need brooklyn to get marginally competent but overpaid players so we can take those chumps in the Sleeping with the Fishes for Luka season

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 26, 2017

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm secretly just lashing out because this dashes my hopes that Brooklyn will sign Mirotic to a contract the Bulls don't wanna match

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Intruder posted:

When Bev signed his contract people were saying the Rockets paid too much, now he has one of the best contracts in the NBA

It was a pre cap explosion deal so unless we are getting another unprecedented jump in cap space that deal is still going to be ugly.

chunkles posted:

That doesn't happen often and when it does you're not going to be netting much.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

EvanTH posted:

oh also he says "Philanthroper" instead of "Philanthropist"

That's a catch, release, and reward term in rodeo Evan.

Rodeo is a big deal in Oklahoma

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Niwrad posted:

Crabbe isn't good and will likely never pan out because he doesn't have the athleticism to be a good defender or score off the dribble. I'm all about using the cap space to acquire assets and picks, but Crabbe is just a waste of cap space that could be used for just that purpose. If they want to just take flyers on guys, make an offer to Mirotic who is better right now and has the potential to get better based on his skillset. Heck, even using it on Noel feels better.

Mirotic stinks and gets worse every year

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

Mirotic stinks and gets worse every year

Nah, Mirotic is actually good but has a trash head coach. He'd put up 18 and 8 for the Nets and be their best player.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Oh I forgot the nets have Aleksander Veznekov the Bulgar Bully, ready to scimitar your team to ribbons with elbow jumpers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

please don't disaparage Nicky 30 Feet

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Cap space isn't milk. It's not going to go bad if you don't use it up before the date and the salary floor penalties aren't that punitive. It's just as valuable tomorrow as it is today and you don't know for sure what kind of wacky things will happened in a year. Or two.

Nothing wrong with using it to take a gamble or to collect assets, but using it to collect Allen Crabbe is kind of a waste.

That's what Crabbe is. He is a 25 year old guy who is shooting over 40% from three. They are gambling his game takes a step up as he moves into his prime. If he doesn't he is coming off the books before they'd be making FA splashes anyway. If he does they can move him for an asset or use him to build around the 2019 and beyond top picks.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Chunkles is referring to the Jeff Green's entire career idea whereby a playoff team thinks they need one more dynamic piece to vault them up a tier, and they're udner the cap so they can go over to trade, they'll swing a first rounder for Crabbe, and that's another asset for the slow build of the team. If not he is who he is, a really good shooter who doesnt play no defense

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I'm just gonna leave this here, and you should probably click on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCn323X3c_0

Edit: It's a little-known song from 1960.

big boi fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 26, 2017

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

big boi posted:

Was there anything Wilt Chamberlain was bad at

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Athanatos posted:

Was there anything Wilt Chamberlain was bad at

Celibacy

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

EvanTH posted:

15+ minute rant whose main argument is "LeBron James doesn't like me therefore his denial of the ridiculous thing I said about him yesterday couldn't be true."

I mean, it's SAS. Crab rangoon, things of that nature. This feud is about as real as his feud with Kevin Durant when KD similarly called him out. Preposterous antics lead to a whole lot of clickbait articles followed by SAS continuing to make bank as an entertainer while ESPN kicks actual NBA reporter-types to the curb.

Society, man.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

straight up brolic posted:

They need to be bad enough to get a top 5 pick in 2 &3 years, they want a capable core of decent players, and they need to be above the salary floor. Picking up players like Crabbe that have upside but not star potential goes a long way to slowly steering the organization to be in a position to capitalize in 2020/2021

I agree with your general point but why do they need to be above the salary floor?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

I agree with your general point but why do they need to be above the salary floor?

Yo man he understands the salary floor automatically pays out to your roster, he's speaking of the salary needing to be spent and so taking what you can get for that space to build for your future build being a smart play

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yo man he understands the salary floor automatically pays out to your roster, he's speaking of the salary needing to be spent and so taking what you can get for that space to build for your future build being a smart play

I understand about wanting to spend money under the cap to improve for the future but I don't understand why the floor is important in that aspect. Like, it wouldn't change anything for them if it didn't exist, right? Or are there some exceptions they get that they could use if they are above it?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

That's what Crabbe is. He is a 25 year old guy who is shooting over 40% from three. They are gambling his game takes a step up as he moves into his prime. If he doesn't he is coming off the books before they'd be making FA splashes anyway. If he does they can move him for an asset or use him to build around the 2019 and beyond top picks.

That's not what Crabbe is. That's what he was last year but it looks like he's topped out as a sharp shooting role player. There is no mystery here that you are paying extra for. He's 25 and doesn't have the athleticism to unlock that next level to his game. He'll improve but what you saw his last two seasons is most likely what you are getting.

He's not a bad player, but it's weird the Brooklyn if throwing out this second chance they were given

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Wait, that Crabbe trade didn't involve a a pick?

I change my mind.. why didn't they sign KCP or something if they wanted to spend?

Nets GM is more stubborn and arrogant than I thought, rebuild gonna fail.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

That doesn't happen often and when it does you're not going to be netting much.

Oh yeah well how about when the Celtics traded Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce for ohhhhhhhh

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Allen "Alien Crab" Crabbe's got a face like a bee's nest, don't want him on my team.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow, particularly brutal way to use the stretch provision on nicholson, imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFkJLlU-3GI

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Femur posted:

Wait, that Crabbe trade didn't involve a a pick?

I change my mind.. why didn't they sign KCP or something if they wanted to spend?

Nets GM is more stubborn and arrogant than I thought, rebuild gonna fail.

"The Nets were believed to be in the best position to offer Caldwell-Pope a long-term contract, with most other teams having little cap space. But the shooting guard — regarded as the top unrestricted free agent left on the market — bet on himself, taking a short deal with Los Angeles, according to ESPN, so he can go right back into the market again next summer. It’s risky with so few teams having cap space next summer."

KCP chose the Lakers, the Nets tried.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

big boi posted:

Edit: It's a little-known song from 1960.

How have I never heard of this.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was going to say "Yeah, I'm sure Portland would have been eager to give a guy who just signed a $18 million deal a bigger role if he showed he was capable of it, and he just didn't."

But then I realized they also signed Evan Tuner for $17 million / year, so maybe they didn't actually match Crabbe's contract with any expectations he'd step up his game. Man Portland had a real bad offseason last year

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Tae posted:

"The Nets were believed to be in the best position to offer Caldwell-Pope a long-term contract, with most other teams having little cap space. But the shooting guard — regarded as the top unrestricted free agent left on the market — bet on himself, taking a short deal with Los Angeles, according to ESPN, so he can go right back into the market again next summer. It’s risky with so few teams having cap space next summer."

KCP chose the Lakers, the Nets tried.

oh, i guess hard to judge cause who knows what the owner is forcing..

But I don't like rethreading past regrets stink here.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Chunkles is referring to the Jeff Green's entire career idea whereby a playoff team thinks they need one more dynamic piece to vault them up a tier, and they're udner the cap so they can go over to trade, they'll swing a first rounder for Crabbe, and that's another asset for the slow build of the team. If not he is who he is, a really good shooter who doesnt play no defense

Crabbe does not have any of the versatile upside allure that Green once did. The closest analog is the Reddick Bucks trade and if you are going to play the "what if" speculation game, then plain old cap space trumps overpaid role player every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

R.D. Mangles posted:

Sleeping with the Fishes for Luka

you are so good at this

• Locked thread