Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/889659986376368128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

dokmo posted:

How have I never heard of this.
Can't wait to see the player footage you'll choose to sync with that song

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Allen "Alien Crab" Crabbe's got a face like a bee's nest, don't want him on my team.

He's 1st Team All-Ugly

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Allen "Alien Crab" Crabbe's got a face like a bee's nest, don't want him on my team.

Crabbe ran goon is back off the menu boys

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's preposterous, to me

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

after a googling him, the word that springs to mind is... unfortunate

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lmao what's that from?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

pubic works project posted:

Lmao what's that from?

Game of Thrones

The league is going to be a worse place when this gay hangs them up

https://twitter.com/manuginobili/status/889958434229170176

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

R.D. Mangles posted:

hell yeah, need brooklyn to get marginally competent but overpaid players so we can take those chumps in the Sleeping with the Fishes for Luka season

That's a solid edit hah

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

warcrimes posted:

Game of Thrones

The league is going to be a worse place when this gay hangs them up

https://twitter.com/manuginobili/status/889958434229170176

is that a typo or deliberate

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Lin - Russell - Crabbe - RHJ - Mozgov
Whitehead - Levert - Kilpatrick - Carroll - Allen small ball bench

This team is seriously lacking any semblance of defense... I think Lin is their best player on both sides of the court.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

RHJ is a better defender than Lin

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Hayward is really good

And Utah was a 5 seed mostly because the entire team kept getting hurt

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
That Burt Steele motherfucker can eat poo poo and die. He's public enemy #1 in the basketball world
https://twitter.com/burt_steele/status/889158506816966656
gently caress you burt steele

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

EvanTH posted:

That Burt Steele motherfucker can eat poo poo and die. He's public enemy #1 in the basketball world

Hahahaha

https://twitter.com/cfranks11/status/889983077400936450

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
They should not have done that, but the trade isn't that bad considering they dumped Nicholson. But I don't understand why they just don't give those minutes to Goodwin, and I'd straight up rather have K.J. McDaniels on his tiny deal instead than Crabbe at net $12m.

LaVert will start, and Booker is definitely in the rotation. They definitely need another big man, but it could be fun trying to win 30 games and gently caress over the Celtics. They're supposed to want Sullinger.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

McDaniels and Goodwin can't shoot

Not even a little bit

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Goodwin was fun-ish in actually getting minutes. They're both still young, give them minutes and see if they're worth anything. They ended up flipping Bogdanovic that way. You can make an argument for Crabbe, but it's hard to see him magically improving with more usage, although management genuinely seems to like him, they love the homeless man's Crabbe in Joe Harris after all.

They're better off doing that, hoarding cap space, and pulling the whole Celtics con man thing in pretending a million late firsts are actually worth something while waiting for another gift like the Russell trade.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am getting really loving sick of trying to read about basketball and having to see the word "assets," the only thing is knowing that those sloan conference dipshits will eventually get tired of it too and come up with something even dumber.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Even hinkie didn't call players assets

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kj mcdaniels is terrible man and like less than a year younger than crabbe who actually has NBA skills.

Goodwin is younger by a couple years but is shooting ....236 from 3 on his career

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

EvanTH posted:

is that a typo or deliberate

haha probably projection

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am getting really loving sick of trying to read about basketball and having to see the word "assets," the only thing is knowing that those sloan conference dipshits will eventually get tired of it too and come up with something even dumber.

reminds me how Zach Lowe keeps on referring to the "liquidity" of particular contracts/teams/cap space. I think they all just use it because it makes them feel like spending five hours looking at the NY Knick cap situation is something on par with economic analysis.
You'd think the fact that half their time is spent trying to parse emojis would give NBA writers some perspective.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i want to print out transcripts of the nate duncan podcast and make billy bob thornton read them in his slingblade voice hrrrmmmmmmm the hornets can't do much else here unless they dip into the room exemption

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/RohanNadkarni/status/890029919807447040

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EvanTH posted:

Chris and Burt Steele have both mislead America

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

zoux posted:

He's 1st Team All-Ugly

Mr. Mambold posted:

Crabbe ran goon is back off the menu boys

Latinx posted:

after a googling him, the word that springs to mind is... unfortunate

We should pray for him. Maybe someday he can be traded to the Spurs and form up a duo named Crabbe Patty and everyone will love him

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

BWV posted:

reminds me how Zach Lowe keeps on referring to the "liquidity" of particular contracts/teams/cap space. I think they all just use it because it makes them feel like spending five hours looking at the NY Knick cap situation is something on par with economic analysis.
You'd think the fact that half their time is spent trying to parse emojis would give NBA writers some perspective.

Dejan is professor emeritus of SAS illiquid market studies

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I don't see what's so bad about Crabbes face. It's a little unsymmetrical and his nose creates an odd angle but he's looks like a normal human being :confused:
H

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

milk milk lemonade posted:

I don't see what's so bad about Crabbes face. It's a little unsymmetrical and his nose creates an odd angle but he's looks like a normal human being :confused:
H

It's okay to admit that you love and want to kiss Allen Crabbe, that you want to marry him. It's basically how I feel about Hayward.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

Overpaying because "well I have all this money lying around" or "well no one else is going to take it" rarely is a good idea.

Saving money for a rainy day in a league where roughly half the players in the league are 3+ years away from being unrestricted free agents is basically just rolling dice that some big free agent will want to join your franchise someday. For some teams the odds of this dice roll coming up are incredibly bad, and even the teams that it's a better dice roll for have put themselves in a position to be unable to develop the few assets that they do have.

The platonic ideal for franchise development big or small market is drafting great players and roleplayers who compliment them. If you can't do that, though, paying market price for average players is the only path to NBA competence that isn't heavily factoring in luck. And a lot of teams unfortunately ran into the buzzsaw last season of the market being very competitive for reasons outside of their control (and unless next year's playoffs feature less games than this season [which is possible but not super likely], the cap is going to go up [due to jersey ads and TV contracts for some local teams going into play] and teams are going to have a lot of space again and it's going to be another buzzsaw year except the non-top-tier players getting paid are going to be even worse than last season's class).

And even in a year where the market is team friendly, it's not like the teams that sat out last year's free agency are swooping in and making deals now. In fact they're either trading for players on these bad contracts from last year or deciding to join in the the overpay now on what is a weaker free agency class.

WhyteRyce posted:

Cap space isn't milk. It's not going to go bad if you don't use it up before the date and the salary floor penalties aren't that punitive. It's just as valuable tomorrow as it is today and you don't know for sure what kind of wacky things will happened in a year. Or two.

Nothing wrong with using it to take a gamble or to collect assets, but using it to collect Allen Crabbe is kind of a waste.

Except NBA players have with their own mouths said they don't want to join or play on skeleton rosters and it hurts teams ability to even get meetings with players because agents don't like teams sitting on money that is at least in part their cut of the action.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 26, 2017

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I do think people probably underestimate the degree to which LeBron is probably still kind of a weirdo and maybe not super easy to get along with, but lol at the thesis of this article being "See! The Heat were right to alienate the best player in the league!"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Saving money for a rainy day in a league where roughly half the players in the league are 3+ years away from being unrestricted free agents is basically just rolling dice that some big free agent will want to join your franchise someday. For some teams the odds of this dice roll coming up are incredibly bad, and even the teams that it's a better dice roll for have put themselves in a position to be unable to develop the few assets that they do have.

The platonic ideal for franchise development big or small market is drafting great players and roleplayers who compliment them. If you can't do that, though, paying market price for average players is the only path to NBA competence that isn't heavily factoring in luck. And a lot of teams unfortunately ran into the buzzsaw last season of the market being very competitive for reasons outside of their control (and unless next year's playoffs feature less games than this season [which is possible but not super likely], the cap is going to go up [due to jersey ads and TV contracts for some local teams going into play] and teams are going to have a lot of space again and it's going to be another buzzsaw year except the non-top-tier players getting paid are going to be even worse than last season's class).

And even in a year where the market is team friendly, it's not like the teams that sat out last year's free agency are swooping in and making deals now. In fact they're either trading for players on these bad contracts from last year or deciding to join in the the overpay now on what is a weaker free agency class.

I like most of what Brooklyn did. Russell was a great move. Carroll was meh but understandable. Crabbe is not. He is neither being paid market price nor is he a prototypical gamble a team like this should take. He most likely is what he is. Last year that offer was defensible because there was the thought his game could continue to evolve. This year after a full season to dispel those notions, much less so.

I don't think anyone here is saying Brooklyn should be saving up for a superstar hitting the market. They've been doing mostly a good job with what they've had to work with, the Crabbe deal just seems completely unnecessary and not that beneficial to them. I think my biggest complaint was that they didn't at least get a pick back for him. They just doubled down on a contract the rest of the league unanimously agrees was a bad deal and said "no, we still really want him". Brooklyn basically did Portland a usage solid for no reason other than they just had to get Crabbe

quote:

Except NBA players have with their own mouths said they don't want to join or play on skeleton rosters and it hurts teams ability to even get meetings with players because agents don't like teams sitting on money that is at least in part their cut of the action.

Not sitting on money != well poo poo let's go try and get Crabbe again. I realize they had other options they would have preferred, but just because Option A through D are off the table doesn't mean you should immediately jump on Option E.

Agents don't care if you ultimately spend money. All they want is their players getting paid and if you're part of a bidding process that pumps up their players' value, that's all they really care about. Agents don't give two shits if Brooklyn manages to win, they just want their guys like Tyler Johnson, Allen Crabbe, and Otto Porter getting paid, which Brooklyn helped do.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 26, 2017

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Was James Jones ever athletic or particularly good in any way? I tried watching a career highlights mix, but the announcer used the term "played collegiately". Suffice it to say I went and hanged myself and there's no bbref in Hell

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm with Rick on what he's saying. I think the Nets are doing the right thing with their dire situation. Plus, it's NYC and Barclay's is on top of a fairly big subway hub. Get even a mildly fun team together and the stadium is full every night and we'll start getting nightly ESPN coverage ("Wow the Nets won 3 in a row! Is this a new dynasty?? Is D'Lo the best PG in the league? What were the Lakers thinking!?") and it'll look like a great spot to play.

It's pretty easy for me to criticize GMs for not correctly evaluating what every single knowledgeable fan can see is going on out there and making nonstop bad deals, but, knowing myself, I sorta think if I was face-to-face with the players I'd have a huge problem separating the athlete from the person and I'd end up maxing some chump who will never reach potential just 'cause he's friendly and a morally upstanding dude. I'd look at the numbers and find reasons why they're not showing the whole picture

Other way around too. I'd hear just one of the 10,000000 true stories about Michael Jordan In Person and I'd be all "okay we gotta trade this rear end in a top hat IMMEDIATELY he's clearly insane and it's not worth it keeping a psycho around. He'll ruin us"

warcrimes posted:

haha probably projection

hah well I had a laff either way

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

milk milk lemonade posted:

H

okay but here's a normal human's reaction to Crabbe's Face
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=RhWwPOi8eqY#/25;31

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EvanTH posted:

I'm with Rick on what he's saying. I think the Nets are doing the right thing with their dire situation. Plus, it's NYC and Barclay's is on top of a fairly big subway hub. Get even a mildly fun team together and the stadium is full every night and we'll start getting nightly ESPN coverage ("Wow the Nets won 3 in a row! Is this a new dynasty?? Is D'Lo the best PG in the league? What were the Lakers thinking!?") and it'll look like a great spot to play.

I still don't understand how trading for Allen Crabbe and getting nothing else is doing the right thing. Trading for an overpaid role player and not getting any assets back in the process even though Portland was about to pay a bajillion dollars in bad contracts that no one else was touching is hardly a shrewd move.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

I like most of what Brooklyn did. Russell was a great move. Carroll was meh but understandable. Crabbe is not. He is neither being paid market price nor is he a prototypical gamble a team like this should take. He most likely is what he is. Last year that offer was defensible because there was the thought his game could continue to evolve. This year after a full season to dispel those notions, much less so.

I don't think anyone here is saying Brooklyn should be saving up for a superstar hitting the market. They've been doing mostly a good job with what they've had to work with, the Crabbe deal just seems completely unnecessary and not that beneficial to them. I think my biggest complaint was that they didn't at least get a pick back for him. They just doubled down on a contract the rest of the league unanimously agrees was a bad deal and said "no, we still really want him". Brooklyn basically did Portland a usage solid for no reason other than they just had to get Crabbe

Not sitting on money != well poo poo let's go try and get Crabbe again. I realize they had other options they would have preferred, but just because Option A through D are off the table doesn't mean you should immediately jump on Option E.

Agents don't care if you ultimately spend money. All they want is their players getting paid and if you're part of a bidding process that pumps up their players' value, that's all they really care about. Agents don't give two shits if Brooklyn manages to win, they just want their guys like Tyler Johnson, Allen Crabbe, and Otto Porter getting paid, which Brooklyn helped do.

If they didn't mind, they wouldn't have so much problem spending all the money that they had. They're a New York team that can't get anyone other than Jeremy Lin to take their call (and a lot of people a lot worse than him are hitting dismiss as well), you know, the guy who had to get a MJ lifeline contract the season before because there were zero other teams in the league willing to play him as a starter and Michael Jordan is personally invested in Jeremy Lin being visible to sell shoes for him.

The only reason they get calls from agents peddling RFA offer sheets is because they were one of the two or three last teams still willing to sign them (well, I imagine Portland would still be trying to bid on them if they could).

I agree that Alan Crabbe isn't going to make the Lebron Jameses and Paul Georges of the world give the Nets a visit. But I think Crabbe--along with the other moves the Nets have made--make the team a lot more attractive to tier 2 and tier 3 free agents who last year seriously chose to take less money elsewhere, retire, or go to Europe instead of playing for the Nets. For a franchise as deep in the weeds as the Nets, that's a good start in franchise reclamation, which is what that team needs to do now.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EvanTH posted:

okay but here's a normal human's reaction to Crabbe's Face
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=RhWwPOi8eqY#/25;31

Hmmm well I'm not normal either then because he looks normal to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Chairchucker posted:

Hmmm well I'm not normal either then because he looks normal to me

His face has a lot of weirdness happening.

Also, the Nets traded for Crabbe because they want him to play for them, not to stash an asset. He's literally on the contract they offered him. I don't think Portland would have traded Crabbe if they had to give up a pick.

• Locked thread