Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that you had to bring your peasants to harvest the giant tree. You don't see nearly enough peasants being important to objectives these days, except as a foundation for infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I suspect that the variants of the myth that have the palace of Byblos being a temporary resting place for Osiris' body didn't come out of people thinking it made a better story, but rather out of Byblosians wanting to insert themselves into the myths of their neighbor, possibly while said neighbor ruled them. You see the same thing with Rome claiming it was founded by Trojans in order to insert themselves into the Greek mythic world (while still remaining distinct from the Greeks).

One theory I heard of a long time ago was that the different variations of the myth were actually separate myths that were created by the various city-states of the Nile region and when they were unified the priesthood just decided to mash all the different myths together.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Your videos make me weep for the time I've spent playing these levels the normal ways on moderate. What the hell, man.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
"Have you seen the one eye?"
"Yes, we are fighting him as well. Will you join us?"
"Seeing as we are already wearing blue, why not?"

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Glazius posted:

I like that you had to bring your peasants to harvest the giant tree. You don't see nearly enough peasants being important to objectives these days, except as a foundation for infrastructure.

It's not quite as interesting as the Trojan horse mission or the guardian's sword one were meant to be though where you had a tradeoff of peasants for economy vs peasants for getting the mission done.

Speaking of getting the mission done, it took me 30 takes to finish chapter 19 properly even after I'd already worked out a nice strategy.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Melth posted:

Speaking of getting the mission done, it took me 30 takes to finish chapter 19 properly even after I'd already worked out a nice strategy.

Properly?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Not entirely related to the campaign discussion, but amusing enough that I thought I'd drop it in here.

I'm screwing around in random map games, and as I'm sure anyone who's ever done so will know, the game will give random names from that civilization to AI players. Another little thing, is that AI players will "talk" to you. Enemies generally commenting on what you're doing, or bragging/boasting about what they're doing, or just insulting you.

Well, one Greek AI got named Troy in this match. Then this happened:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BlazetheInferno posted:

Not entirely related to the campaign discussion, but amusing enough that I thought I'd drop it in here.

I'm screwing around in random map games, and as I'm sure anyone who's ever done so will know, the game will give random names from that civilization to AI players. Another little thing, is that AI players will "talk" to you. Enemies generally commenting on what you're doing, or bragging/boasting about what they're doing, or just insulting you.

Well, one Greek AI got named Troy in this match. Then this happened:

They're obviously speaking from experience.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Interestingly, in the expansion the city name can indicate what strategy the AI will be using.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Melth posted:

Interestingly, in the expansion the city name can indicate what strategy the AI will be using.

Hilariously enough, it was not Troy that walled itself in.

It was Athens. Though IIRC, that still makes sense.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Hilariously enough, it was not Troy that walled itself in.

It was Athens. Though IIRC, that still makes sense.

You bet it does, and the story of Athens's walls is awesome.

Almost as awesome as the new episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrLJ1UeZiE

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
I believe Kamos' corpse is actually an entirely separate object. You can place it in the scenario editor. I might be wrong. Memory is a bit hazy on that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can pick the god who gives you a flying transport to get villagers to the colossal island. If you're actually so slow that you have time to advance the age. :v:

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
It is a testament to how goddamn well you play that in 19 videos you have shown us a somewhat standard play maybe once or twice. Really Melth, this is one of the best playthroughs of a strategy game I have ever witnessed. Frankly by this point, showing actual base-building and those bread-and-butter mechanics would be a change of pace!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

mortons stork posted:

It is a testament to how goddamn well you play that in 19 videos you have shown us a somewhat standard play maybe once or twice. Really Melth, this is one of the best playthroughs of a strategy game I have ever witnessed. Frankly by this point, showing actual base-building and those bread-and-butter mechanics would be a change of pace!

Thanks, that's exactly how I try to make all my Let's Plays ^^

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how attacks make clinking sounds against bronze skin. Are there metallic units that also sound like that when they get hit?

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I'd assume the Collosus and the Automatons from Atlantis? Not sure, but there aren't that many other metallic things. Should surely make that sound for the Nemean Lion, even though it doesn't I'm pretty sure.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Battle Boars.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Chronische posted:

I'd assume the Collosus and the Automatons from Atlantis? Not sure, but there aren't that many other metallic things. Should surely make that sound for the Nemean Lion, even though it doesn't I'm pretty sure.
I'm mostly familiar with automatons from the campaign so in my mind the only sound they make is HURRR.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Asehujiko posted:

I'm mostly familiar with automatons from the campaign so in my mind the only sound they make is HURRR.

You mean if you use them outside the campaign they do something BESIDES die instantly?!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Just finished mission 20. It's the craziest, awesomest mission yet. It's gonna be hard to get the audio finalized and uploaded on time tomorrow, but it's still possible!

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Melth posted:

Just finished mission 20. It's the craziest, awesomest mission yet. It's gonna be hard to get the audio finalized and uploaded on time tomorrow, but it's still possible!

I really hope so, because you're gonna trounce it something fierce again. That is perhaps the more entertaining thing about these vids to begin with.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Melth posted:

Thanks, that's exactly how I try to make all my Let's Plays ^^

I'm always enjoy watching people utterly breaking a game, and yours is no exception.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
News from gamescom: All age of empires games except mythology are getting a re-release exclusive to the windows store. Yes that includes aoe2hd, the latest expansion of which is less than a year old at this point.

There'll also be an age of empires 4, likewise exclusive to the windows store and microsoft have, in their infinite wisdom, farmed it's creation out to relic entertainment, most recently of dotadawn of war 3 infamy.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Amanra died in the cutscene at the end of that video. Judging by the sound, so did Arkantos, but Amanra running away and dying was funnier and more noticeable.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Did any of the old mythologies ever deal with other pantheons? I know a lot of the Old Testament details some old Mesopotamian deities, but we're similar things found elsewhere?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not really in mythologies - it's a difference in how they've been compiled; myths have grown out of oral tradition, explaining natural laws and so on; the Bible, on the other hand, always had a political dimension.
Foreign gods were assimilated into mythologies plenty of times, obviously.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 22, 2017

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Melth posted:

Umm... You might want to provide a link to your newest video :)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
His videos often spend about 12 hours on youtube before being posted here; I suspect he starts the upload before bed and then reposts it here after work

Anyway, in response to the request for advice at the end of the video, as someone who hasn't played the game I'd appreciate it if at the beginning you laid out what exactly the objective of the mission is. Sometimes you do because it's something particularly weird but sometimes I have to puzzle it out based on what you do during the map.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I got stuck on this mission for awhile. Long enough to learn that things do come out of the underworld passage..

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
As someone else graciously pointed out, here's the latest episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFLQrmxTkw

cheetah7071 posted:

His videos often spend about 12 hours on youtube before being posted here; I suspect he starts the upload before bed and then reposts it here after work

Anyway, in response to the request for advice at the end of the video, as someone who hasn't played the game I'd appreciate it if at the beginning you laid out what exactly the objective of the mission is. Sometimes you do because it's something particularly weird but sometimes I have to puzzle it out based on what you do during the map.

That's more or less exactly what happens, yeah. At least on busy weekends. The last week has been crazy, so it was really hard to get the video done on time at all, let alone also post about it on various forums.

Thanks for the tip there, you're definitely right. I used to remember to talk about the objectives, but I forgot to this time and a few other times.

Any other suggestions, guys?

Lunethex posted:

Amanra died in the cutscene at the end of that video. Judging by the sound, so did Arkantos, but Amanra running away and dying was funnier and more noticeable.

Yep! That battle is really random with the meteors and whatnot, so there are good but not perfect odds that Amanra and Arkantos will die.

Samovar posted:

Did any of the old mythologies ever deal with other pantheons? I know a lot of the Old Testament details some old Mesopotamian deities, but we're similar things found elsewhere?

There actually was a fair amount of that in a way, but it often happened so long before the myths got 'codified' that it isn't obvious to us there even used to be a distinction sometimes. Chiron is an example. Chiron was a god to the Thessalians. Who were originally a bit distinct from the Greeks but became more and more Greek over time, although the Greeks always looked down their noses at them. So Chiron gets incorporated into Greek myth as this wise old centaur trainer healer guy who's immortal but not quite a god maybe.

A fair number of other deities started off as foreign gods and got absorbed.

And then, of course, there were the attempts to absorb foreign pantheons wholesale. One version of the myth of Typhon (where all the other gods flee like wusses and show why Zeus is actually in charge) specifies that they went to Egypt and then tries to draw a parallel between each Greek god and an Egyptian one. Herodotus and other semi-historians also retold a lot of Egyptian and other myths and tried to draw weird connections between them and Greek stuff, or wrote bizarre fanfics about Greek gods in foreign lands. I can think of like 6 places where Herodotus makes up or unquestioningly reports a story of Heracles randomly showing up and killing some extra monster and having sex with some random lady or lady-monster and having a bunch of kids who then become important local figures.

Up north, there was a ton of exchange of ideas about elves, fairies, pixies, and all kinds of other assorted spirit critters from different cultures until a lot of them were mixed up together.

I think in general though that surprisingly few ancient people cared that foreign religions contradicted their own. Perhaps because their own were self-contradictory, perhaps because there was also just a lot more cultural isolation before writing and travel became common so that even people like Herodotus just had no clue what the world was actually like and what other people actually believed.

I'm pretty sure I've also remarked about that delightful part of Plutarch where he describes Artaxerxes "Praying to his god Ahriman in thanks", which would make Artaxerxes basically the Zoroastrian equivalent of a satanist. Clearly Plutarch just didn't have even the most basic facts straight despite being one of the most learned men who ever lived and despite existing in a time period when Greeks and quasi-Greeks had ruled Persia for hundreds of years.

I've also just recalled a random part of Xenophon where he quotes Cyrus the Usurper as swearing "Yes, by Zeus!" Xenophon probably talked to Cyrus personally, certainly talked to several of his attendants and to many people who talked to Cyrus personally, knew that Cyrus prided himself on his deep theological understanding of the Zoroastrian religion, knew many Persians, rampaged through half of Persia, and in general should have known a LOT about Zoroastrianism. Yet he didn't question for even a second that Cyrus totally just worshiped Zeus

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Most ancient peoples didn't believe in "religion" the way we moderns understand it. As a citizen of, say, Ephesus, you worshiped the goddess that protected Ephesus not because it was the "true" set of beliefs but because why would you worship the god of a place you don't even live? You don't really care that other Greeks worship Artemis differently from you because it isn't an aspect of your beliefs that it's important to make other people believe the same things you do.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Most ancient peoples didn't believe in "religion" the way we moderns understand it. As a citizen of, say, Ephesus, you worshiped the goddess that protected Ephesus not because it was the "true" set of beliefs but because why would you worship the god of a place you don't even live? You don't really care that other Greeks worship Artemis differently from you because it isn't an aspect of your beliefs that it's important to make other people believe the same things you do.

Which is why the Romans would steal gods and otherwise wholesale make off with entire theologies if they thought it would work for them.

And can I just say it's Hilarious that Kymset is basically a Jedi using a scimitar.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
God I just found out about this LP of one of my favorite games of all time? :negative:

Anyway I'll just echo what a lot of people have said in that the campaign for this game is probably the best in the RTS genre, the music for the game also great (with really good titles for the songs too), and this game was integral for getting me into mythology as it introduced me to the "Big Three" of Greek, Egyptian, and Norse mythology

I'm trying to think of what RTSs I would rank above or on par with AOM and the only two off the top of my head (imo) are Rise of Nations and Empires Dawn of the Modern World.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

achillesforever6 posted:

God I just found out about this LP of one of my favorite games of all time? :negative:

Anyway I'll just echo what a lot of people have said in that the campaign for this game is probably the best in the RTS genre, the music for the game also great (with really good titles for the songs too), and this game was integral for getting me into mythology as it introduced me to the "Big Three" of Greek, Egyptian, and Norse mythology

I'm trying to think of what RTSs I would rank above or on par with AOM and the only two off the top of my head (imo) are Rise of Nations and Empires Dawn of the Modern World.

To echo what I myself have said many times, I'd put WC3 above AoM but other than that yeah it's pretty much the best campaign.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I have immense nostalgia for Impossible Creatures and Rise of Legends for their unique mechanics and settings even if they're a bit janky.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think Rise of Legends is the better RTS, but Age of Mythology has by far the better campaign.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
An RTS that I bought a couple of times but never could run was Paraworld, I know it was probably crap but it was right up my wheelhouse, I wanted to lead dino armies drat it!!! :argh:

Another was this ancient civilizations game where you could zoom in on a hero unit and control it like a third person hack and slash. Forget the name of it

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

achillesforever6 posted:

Another was this ancient civilizations game where you could zoom in on a hero unit and control it like a third person hack and slash. Forget the name of it

!!!

I never played this game but I heard of it once and it sounded cool, yet because I don't know the name I could never find out anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It may just be because you've pushed this game to its limits but at times it seems like they drastically underestimated the effects of a solid offense.

• Locked thread