Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the bitcoin of weed posted:

your boy macron was the one making the white man's burden arguments like two weeks ago and he's basically the global mascot of centrism

quote:

French independent presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron described colonisation as a “crime against humanity” during a visit to Algeria this week, sparking outrage back home among conservative and far-right parties.

Macron, a centrist, unequivocally condemned France’s colonial history in an interview broadcast by Algerian television Echorouk on Tuesday.

“It’s a crime. It’s a crime against humanity,” the former economy minister said. “It’s truly barbarous and it’s part of a past that we need to confront by apologising to those against whom we committed these acts.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Ze Pollack posted:

ancient civil rights koan

a white suburbanite is told he was given things others were not
a child trips and falls
one eventually stops crying about it

if a tree falls in the woods
and no one tweets it
is that appropriation?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

if a tree falls in the woods
and no one tweets it
is that appropriation?

what does your fear tell you

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i love that u trot out his campaign to defend his behavior in office. but i especially love that he's not doing what you think he is:

quote:

Macron, a centrist, unequivocally condemned France’s colonial history in an interview broadcast by Algerian television Echorouk on Tuesday.

“It’s a crime. It’s a crime against humanity,” the former economy minister said. “It’s truly barbarous and it’s part of a past that we need to confront by apologising to those against whom we committed these acts.”

past tense hamprince. he's pretending the neocolonialism that france practices today doesn't exist, just like he did in his racist speech.

is there a reaction face for that feeling when the guy you idolized turns out to be a white man's burden style racist?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

*In The Arms of the Angel plays*

Bonjour, je suis Manuel Macron. Deed yew no zat, de Africaine ceevilizashun meens dat the averege black man has only one misstress in a laiftaim?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Condiv posted:

i love that u trot out his campaign to defend his behavior in office. but i especially love that he's not doing what you think he is:

past tense hamprince. he's pretending the neocolonialism that france practices today doesn't exist, just like he did in his racist speech.

is there a reaction face for that feeling when the guy you idolized turns out to be a white man's burden style racist?

who can forget those most innocent victims of french neocolonialism, the maghreb chapter of al qaeda

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Condiv posted:

you're living in the past man, hamprince posted that like a half hour before your post. How can it possibly have effects today? I acknowledge that post happened. It was truly a post and important and we should never forget it, but you can't act like it has relevance in our modern discussion

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
also black people are having too many babies

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

who can forget those most innocent victims of french neocolonialism, the maghreb chapter of al qaeda

hmmm

quote:

Macron’s statements make the blood boil not because they are novel but because they make no mention of the root causes of the challenges of which the president speaks. Gone is the lucid, welcome admission that France’s role in its former colonies was anything but laudable. He now says nothing of the fact that France’s future is indelibly tied to that of its former colonies, and that the relation between the two remains largely neocolonial: Francophone Africa still trades heavily with France, and French companies – particularly in the extractive industries – have a strong presence on the continent.

More controversially, France’s relationship with its former colonies – known as Françafrique – is perhaps best captured by the use of the CFA franc currency, which offers little benefit to the Francophone nations. As the Cameroonian journalist Julie Owono has written: “CFA zone countries have to deposit 50% of their currency reserves into a so-called operations account managed by the French treasury.”

Militarily, France also continues to embroil itself in issues of state in its former colonies, but is often silent on human and civil rights abuses. Again, look at Cameroon, where the strongman Paul Biya imprisons opponents with no charge, meets peaceful protest with violence, and turns off the internet in order to silence his people – all of which has elicited not a peep from the French regime.

The test of Macron’s presidency is his foreign policy, particularly on Africa. At the moment he’s doing a fine job of proving he is cut from the same cloth as every leader who has come before him: adopting a paternalistic tone and happy to moralise, while profiting from the carnage France helped create – to which, at best, he turns a blind eye.

keep fighting that losing battle hamprince. only racist centrists like you try to erase france's history and tradition of colonialism and culpability in africa's problems.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

hey condiv I hear you're a big fan of the French taking responsability for things so here's your pal Mélenchon claiming that the French state had no role in the holocaust, a position he shares with LePen
https://twitter.com/alon_levy/status/887401077066407938

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

hey condiv I hear you're a big fan of the French taking responsability for things so here's your pal Mélenchon claiming that the French state had no role in the holocaust, a position he shares with LePen
https://twitter.com/alon_levy/status/887401077066407938

cool! that's a bad thing for him to do! what's that have to do with you advocating for the white man's burden though hamprince?

oh wait, nothing. you're just trying hard to deflect cause you're waist deep defending a racist god king and you can't extricate yourself

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Condiv posted:

cool! that's a bad thing for him to do! what's that have to do with you advocating for the white man's burden though hamprince?

oh wait, nothing. you're just trying hard to deflect cause you're waist deep defending a racist god king and you can't extricate yourself

is it as bad as not apologizing hard enough for colonialism tho? think ur being pretty hard on ok' Mel for being a holocaust revisionist

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

is it as bad as not apologizing hard enough for colonialism tho? think ur being pretty hard on ok' Mel for being a holocaust revisionist

ah, didn't know you sympathized with holocaust revisionism as well as racism and monarchism hamprince. they're all bad, and apparently you like all three. centrism sure is a weird ideology

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
a burdened white man: africa needs to fix its poo poo

chill c-spam leftist: you broke it, you bought it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the trump tutelage posted:

a burdened white man: africa needs to fix its poo poo

yeah, that is pretty racist, cause it's not africa wrecking it's poo poo, it's the west (including france). of course, racists like you and hamprince like to pretend that's not a thing (and then try to godwin when it's pointed out how racist they are :lol:)

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Condiv posted:

ah, didn't know you sympathized with holocaust revisionism as well as racism and monarchism hamprince. they're all bad, and apparently you like all three. centrism sure is a weird ideology

can't believe condiv is willfully misconstruing a post. real hosed up thing to do my man

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Condiv posted:

yeah, that is pretty racist, cause it's not africa wrecking it's poo poo, it's the west (including france). of course, racists like you and hamprince like to pretend that's not a thing (and then try to godwin when it's pointed out how racist they are :lol:)
i simultaneously believe that it's a huge thing and that the west needs to stop loving around with neocolonial bullshit, and that africa is in general a massively corrupt and broken continent that mus take ownership of its future regardless of how many of its problems have a genesis in european meddling. this helps me to avoid behaving as though african history begins in europe and african people are little children who need mama's protection.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

can't believe condiv is willfully misconstruing a post. real hosed up thing to do my man

you're the one trying to defend melenchon here though! i can only imagine you're trying to get me to defend him too cause you want me to join you in your depraved holocaust revision love. sorry, but i'm not interested in defending melenchon or macron with you, you can have your racist god king all to yourself

i simultaneously believe that it's a huge thing and that the west needs to stop loving around with neocolonial bullshit, and that africa is in general a massively corrupt and broken continent that mus take ownership of its future regardless of how many of its problems have a genesis in european meddling. this helps me to avoid behaving as though african history begins in europe and african people are little children who need mama's protection.

then maybe you don't want to defend macron, who doesn't believe neocolonialism plays a role in africa's problems. moreover, you should probably stop pretending that africans aren't taking ownership and trying to fix things if you want to pretend to be woke. they are doing just that, problem is that neocolonialists and their apologists tend to be more powerful and oppress them.

hope this will help you understand why you shouldn't be defending macron or trying so hard to blame africa for problems generated by the west intentionally

Condiv has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Jul 25, 2017

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

I look forward to him dismantling the ongoing French colonial efforts in Africa

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Fallen Hamprince posted:

he's no misconstruing anything, you're just a retard who owns themselves on the reg

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Condiv posted:

then maybe you don't want to defend macron, who doesn't believe neocolonialism plays a role in africa's problems. moreover, you should probably stop pretending that africans aren't taking ownership and trying to fix things if you want to pretend to be woke. they are doing just that, problem is that neocolonialists and their apologists tend to be more powerful and oppress them.

hope this will help you understand why you shouldn't be defending macron or trying so hard to blame africa for problems generated by the west intentionally
i don't know anything about macron and i have no interest in defending him, but i do know something about totes woke internet leftists trafficking in whataboutery and repurposing the white man's burden to be about 'taking responsibility for what we've done' instead of 'taking responsibility for what we must do' while unironically calling out other people for their allegedly racist thinking.

even if macron was very careful and earnest in condemning both france's historical, and ongoing, colonial enterprising, but also implicated the various african nations as co-authors of their own problems, then we'd still be having this conversation because the uproar is ultimately about him not placing the blame squarely on europe. in other words, it's about him assigning agency to the oppressed. like even in this reply you - intentionally or no - frame it as "problems generated by the west".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i don't know anything about macron and i have no interest in defending him, but i do know something about totes woke internet leftists trafficking in whataboutery and repurposing the white man's burden to be about 'taking responsibility for what we've done' instead of 'taking responsibility for what we must do' while unironically calling out other people for their allegedly racist thinking.

even if macron was very careful and earnest in condemning both france's historical, and ongoing, colonial enterprising, but also implicated the various african nations as co-authors of their own problems, then we'd still be having this conversation because the uproar is ultimately about him not placing the blame squarely on europe. in other words, it's about him assigning agency to the oppressed. like even in this reply you - intentionally or no - frame it as "problems generated by the west".

yes, it's just woke internet leftists taking him to task over this

and sorry trump tutelage, but "africa's problems are because of their civilization, we need to help them find the right path" is extremely white man's burden. especially the part where the white man blames problems caused by the white man on the civilization (or lack of) of the people they've colonized. :chloe:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Distinguishing features between civilizations are increasingly trivialized by globalizing forces driven primarily by First World financial interests. To say that African "civilizations" bear responsibility downplays the pressures that market forces have had upon maintaining African underdevelopment, which come from what is effectively a nascent global civilization of Capital.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

You should probably change your name to Cuck Tutelage.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
my names cuck tutelage and im here to say /
my politics are disordered in a bigly way

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Distinguishing features between civilizations are increasingly trivialized by globalizing forces driven primarily by First World financial interests. To say that African "civilizations" bear responsibility downplays the pressures that market forces have had upon maintaining African underdevelopment, which come from what is effectively a nascent global civilization of Capital.

the idea of "civilizations" is a product of 19th century orientalist racism

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

if we allied with the dolphins colonialism wouldn't be a problem

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

dolphins are known to viciously murder the children of other pods

i'm not sure they weren't involved already

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

thats propaganda and you know it

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

WINNINGHARD posted:

thats propaganda and you know it

i'm shilling for Big Shark

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

icantfindaname posted:

the idea of "civilizations" is a product of 19th century orientalist racism

Occidentally racist

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
there was a meltdown and I missed it, I knew I shouldmt have gone out to buy new shoes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

logikv9 posted:

there was a meltdown and I missed it, I knew I shouldmt have gone out to buy new shoes

The machinations of capital triumph again.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
its gotta be the capital

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

logikv9 posted:

Stop trying to crib dril.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Dreddout posted:

Stop trying to crib dril.

ur thinking of lowtax

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

if a poster melts down in a thread and no mod is there to read it, is anyone probated? makes u think

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

anyway rolling stone just posted this

dumb thing, so get your rear end ready for some very well informed and insightful discussion of canadian politics on US twitter

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
PM Selfie is following the Obama trajectory of obscuring a pathetic leadership career beneath a veneer of feelgoodism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why can't we have an equally incompetent retard in the white house, except a nicer one

• Locked thread