Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oil analysis for an aircraft engine is absolutely loving crucial. Cheap, too, in the long run.

Putting the results in a simple graph (if the analysis company doesn't already do it for you,) can wave a giant red flag at you, telling you something is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Who are you guys using for oil analysis? Blackstone?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Passed my loft, lots of fun with deicing and compressor stall after takeoff out of LaCrosse, an RA.. one day off now, sit seat support for my sim partner's LOE, and then my LOE is the next night... and then it's captain IOE time. Trying not to stress out, but yeah, poo poo is getting real.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I use Blackstone for my Z06. They're one of the best for non-fleet accounts.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Captain Apollo posted:

This is all related to money, but I notice a lot of people aren't good at studying and hitting the books when they get into flying. If you're good at studying and are dedicated to chair flying you can save yourself a lot of money. However, the economics are simple. Bare minimum is still probably around 7k. Do not start flying lessons until you have 7k in a bank unencumbered IMHO. So if it's a bucket list item, make sure it's one you're willing to work for.

Coming up with the money for lessons isn't a problem (lord knows I've probably spent that much on other hobbies over time), I'm just trying to answer the "what then?" question for myself. Something like volunteer piloting sounds attractive but I don't know if that's a thing that exists.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
In Canada there's always CASARA. I'm sure the USA has something similar where you can surround yourself mostly with grumpy olds with lots of money to burn.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

dupersaurus posted:

I'm just trying to answer the "what then?" question for myself.

Don't worry, over the course of your training and hanging out at the airport, everybody will tell you what you just have to do next.

(In my case, you just have to get into gliders and taildraggers.)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 26, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Whatever you do, make sure it's what you want to do and not what someone else wants you to do.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dupersaurus posted:

Coming up with the money for lessons isn't a problem (lord knows I've probably spent that much on other hobbies over time), I'm just trying to answer the "what then?" question for myself. Something like volunteer piloting sounds attractive but I don't know if that's a thing that exists.

There are a lot of volunteer opportunities, look in to Angel Flight, Veterans Air Lift, and Pilots and Paws to name a few.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
If you were to get your license, by the time you've gotten it you'll have made a ton of new friends and acquaintances and somebody is always going flying sometime. It's a cool social network.

I would bet all of us here in the SA forums are probably connected to each other in the flying world by only 3 degrees of separation or so.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Apollo posted:

If you were to get your license, by the time you've gotten it you'll have made a ton of new friends and acquaintances and somebody is always going flying sometime. It's a cool social network.

I would bet all of us here in the SA forums are probably connected to each other in the flying world by only 3 degrees of separation or so.

I'd honestly be surprised if it's even that high. Aviation is an amazingly small community.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I remember an Endeavor JFK pilot posting about upgrading to Captain, about a year ago, when I was getting hired. Are you still around? Has Goonflight possibly already happened? ^-- Initials VV.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I'd honestly be surprised if it's even that high. Aviation is an amazingly small community.

Yep. I've now run into two FAA inspectors who formerly worked as the POI of a small flight school I spent a couple of years working for.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

vessbot posted:

I remember an Endeavor JFK pilot posting about upgrading to Captain, about a year ago, when I was getting hired. Are you still around? Has Goonflight possibly already happened? ^-- Initials VV.

Haha. Yeah it's happened and I didn't even know it. I think I saw you eating lunch at JFK today.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Two Kings posted:

Haha. Yeah it's happened and I didn't even know it. I think I saw you eating lunch at JFK today.

Haha, nice. If it was near the Five Boroughs around 12:30, I was there. Who are you? Gimme your bid spot for this month or something like that

vessbot fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 27, 2017

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

I'm Dick Rutan

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

vessbot posted:

Haha, nice. If it was near the Five Boroughs around 12:30, I was there. Who are you? Gimme your bid spot for this month or something like that

26 on the CA bid list for August. DA. I'll try to mention something about stairs next time I see you.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
ONE DEGREE OF SEPARATION.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Two Kings posted:

26 on the CA bid list for August. DA. I'll try to mention something about stairs next time I see you.

I know your name but couldn't put a face to it... and looking up what we flew together (4 legs in January, SYR and YUL turns) didn't help at all. Sorry duder :(

e: It's alright though, now waiting for the stairs question will be that much more of an adventure

vessbot fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 27, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Do you have air stairs in your house? (No seriously. The jet bridge is inop)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Bitch pleeeze! (Posting from the blast fence at LGA)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So do you guys fly to somewhere where you could be talking to goon ATC too?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Goon ATC is everywhere

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Captain Apollo posted:

If I remember right from a Daytona 500 chat in IRC a while back, KodiakRS was two seniority numbers higher at his company than somebody I went to flight school with.

e- Interesting timing for this topic. Just found out one of the pilots on USAir 427 which crashed in Pittsburgh was in the same USAF unit as my current boss, which must've meant he spent time in this area as my boss' entire career revolved around being stationed at WPAFB and Rickenbacker. :(

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 27, 2017

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
gently caress it. Who's creating the linkedin?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Captain Apollo posted:

We could go great guns with this. We could replicate Rowdy Ringsports by doing an Aviation Synchtube channel and nerding the gently caress out with likeminded individuals while we're at it.

Related, it's a slow-assed day in the office so I'm watching the Gemini DC-10 World Air Routes DVD on my MFD right monitor while doing actual work on the PFD left monitor. It's tangentially work-related, so :shrug:.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Captain Apollo posted:

The kids are using Slack nowadays for professional groupchats, it's pretty slick if you want to try it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Just got word from our parts guy. We have several customers with "subscriptions" to Aviation Laboratories GA-001-SP kits. Postage-paid, and they get a sample done every oil change. We cut the filters open and look at them, and include a cutting if there's abnormal amounts of shiny bits, but the filter analysis is extra.

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

Complete shot in the dark, but I'm based out of Chicago and interested in learning to fly. Anyone around the Midwest that could help me reduce the cost of a private certificate in any way? Sorry if this is frowned upon, I figured a slim chance to reduce any amount from $10k would be worth it. :)

Getting your private away from Chicago will probably be cheaper. I'm out of PWK and getting to/from the practice area (Fox Lake) and dealing with an often busy pattern added a lot of time to my training. Weather/wind caused a lot of cancellations too. The experience with ATC and busy airspace was a big plus though.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

The Ferret King posted:

have fun explaining this to your crew when The Ferret King asks you this before switching you to tower.

no but seriously he did this to me

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Little baby bird was flying solo. I had to say something.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
On long flights I see how many controllers I can get to say "seeya" in the same obnoxious way I do when I go to switch channels. Sometimes they'll really get into it and it makes me happy.

soyya

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Are there any goon flyers/controllers in the KRHV (SF Bay) area? I'm just getting current again, wouldn't mind some recommendations for fun places to go.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I like to stretch out a gooooooood morning/afternoon/evening when I check on to see if I can get them to do it back

I really win the game when I hear them reply to other aircraft the same way

Thaumaturgic
Jan 7, 2008

Dalrain posted:

Are there any goon flyers/controllers in the KRHV (SF Bay) area? I'm just getting current again, wouldn't mind some recommendations for fun places to go.

I fly out of oakland which is a fun experience in itself sometimes. My two favorite trips ive done so far were to Monterey and Santa Barbara.

Monterey bay at sunset:

Crossing over the hills to Santa Barbara

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Dalrain posted:

Friend of mine was ATC at RHV and is at OAK now. I'll ask him

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Nowhere good to go in CA, I'm afraid. It's all just gorgeous scenery as far as the eye can see and useless loving vineyards.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

speaking of good places to go when is Waco getting a fixer upper themed approach?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

One of our instructors, who spoke with a very faint Southeastern Ohio twang, insisted on saying a heavily drawled "Annnnnd Deeepahchuhhhh" like you hear guys in ATL say when checking in.

sellouts posted:

speaking of good places to go when is Waco getting a fixer upper themed approach?

You talking NAVAIDs/waypoints?

I'm surprised nobody in Columbus has made either OSU or CBJ-themed waypoints. Some of the fixes on the way into PIT are chock full of drat dirty Penguins references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Related, it's a slow-assed day in the office so I'm watching the Gemini DC-10 World Air Routes DVD on my MFD right monitor while doing actual work on the PFD left monitor. It's tangentially work-related, so :shrug:.

:gbsmith:

The captain that narrates the first bit of that, I can't recall his name, he was a genuine first-rate-duder. My favorite flight-crew in the entire airline.

Did you catch the tail number in the video? The last time I saw it was 2008.

Edit:

The Ferret King posted:

Goon ATC is everywhere