Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FreshFeesh posted:

I started watching Person of Interest due to this thread and I really like part of Harold's physicality -- he basically never turns his head (except in flashbacks) due to the injury that gave him the limp.

It's not anything to which specific attention is drawn but it's been consistent through the show and I appreciate the little detail, even as the slow slides into crazy sci-fi god AI vs god AI plot mode after season 2.

Also it's hilarious to me how many people from this show would later end up in House of Cards.

A lot of science fiction fans have the exact opposite opinion about PoI seasons 1 and part of 2. In that the early "monster of the week" format is boring but the long game is engaging.

Haven't really seen much of it myself but I liked some of the ideas I saw in later seasons. And some of the S1/2 stuff is pretty fun as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

syscall girl posted:

A lot of science fiction fans have the exact opposite opinion about PoI seasons 1 and part of 2. In that the early "monster of the week" format is boring but the long game is engaging.

Haven't really seen much of it myself but I liked some of the ideas I saw in later seasons. And some of the S1/2 stuff is pretty fun as well.

I dismissed it as another formulaic cop drama until I started reading about it in this thread maybe a month ago and people talking about the ride into sci-fi town. I've put it up on the background while at work and it's interesting how they've built a cohesive dystonian narrative in small pieces that stay internally consistent -- I tried to explain the show to my wife and all of a sudden I realized I sounded like a crazy person talking about rogue AI communicating through child hacker prodigies. I'm actually fairly impressed, and Michael Emerson is always awesome to watch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FreshFeesh posted:

I dismissed it as another formulaic cop drama until I started reading about it in this thread maybe a month ago and people talking about the ride into sci-fi town. I've put it up on the background while at work and it's interesting how they've built a cohesive dystonian narrative in small pieces that stay internally consistent -- I tried to explain the show to my wife and all of a sudden I realized I sounded like a crazy person talking about rogue AI communicating through child hacker prodigies. I'm actually fairly impressed, and Michael Emerson is always awesome to watch.

I crush a little on Root, played by Amy Acker (mostly from her role on Angel) and it's funny that she sounds full on schizo because she is in touch with The Machine via an implant

Like that's basically the imagined life-story of half of the homeless population but in Root's case on the show, it's her actual reality.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

And even the formulaic cop drama start is pretty good.

Everyone, watch Person of Interest. Hell, watch it again.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

In other PoI news, Taraji P Henson is doing a biopic. It looks fully sick.

She was amazing in Hidden Figures.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Where can PoI be streamed? Netflix?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was watching Blues Brothers on Netflix the other day. I haven't seen the theatrical cut in years since I own the extended DVD version, which is way better because it provides the setup for later punchlines in the film that aren't there in the theatrical cut. In the scene where Elwood tells his boss he's going to quit the factory to work as a priest, he casually picks up a spray can off the conveyer belt. It's the same can he uses to sabotage the Good Ole' Boys winnebago before the big show.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

synthetik posted:

Where can PoI be streamed? Netflix?

Yup.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

And even the formulaic cop drama start is pretty good.

Everyone, watch Person of Interest. Hell, watch it again.

No don't. It's bad & dumb & boring and it's definitely not subtle.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Most

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Person of Interest is fantastic and very much worth watching.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was watching Blues Brothers on Netflix the other day. I haven't seen the theatrical cut in years since I own the extended DVD version, which is way better because it provides the setup for later punchlines in the film that aren't there in the theatrical cut. In the scene where Elwood tells his boss he's going to quit the factory to work as a priest, he casually picks up a spray can off the conveyer belt. It's the same can he uses to sabotage the Good Ole' Boys winnebago before the big show.

The main reason to watch the extended cut of The Blues Brothers is still that it contains the full version of John Lee Hooker's "Baby Talk".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's my song Boom Boom I wrote back in the sixties!
No you didn't!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
it's not a movie but I'm watching Malcolm in the Middle. The episode where the redheaded busey kid who bites and is named Chad sleeps over. He has OCD and/or something and is at one point stacking books based on smell. After Chad moves one book to a different stack after smelling it Hal goes over to the book, picks it up, smells it, and puts it back on top of the original stack of books after thinking for a moment. Hal layer reveals that he used to be like Chad after revealing he's gone through 7 volumes of dictionaries filling in the 6s,8s,9s,0s,Os, Ds, etc. with a pen, the action which calmed Chad down.

The subtle moment i like is the unwritten thought process that showed foreshadowed empathy and also told Hal to move the book back because it smelled how it did.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Jedit posted:

The main reason to watch the extended cut of The Blues Brothers is still that it contains the full version of John Lee Hooker's "Baby Talk".

I love the extended cut, but it has that stupid "Park the Bluesmobile inside the power transformer" scene. It goes on for way too long, isn't funny, and apparently is meant to show why the Bluesmobile is special and powerful, but it isn't explained at all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sponge Baathist posted:

it's not a movie but I'm watching Malcolm in the Middle. The episode where the redheaded busey kid who bites and is named Chad sleeps over. He has OCD and/or something and is at one point stacking books based on smell. After Chad moves one book to a different stack after smelling it Hal goes over to the book, picks it up, smells it, and puts it back on top of the original stack of books after thinking for a moment. Hal layer reveals that he used to be like Chad after revealing he's gone through 7 volumes of dictionaries filling in the 6s,8s,9s,0s,Os, Ds, etc. with a pen, the action which calmed Chad down.

The subtle moment i like is the unwritten thought process that showed foreshadowed empathy and also told Hal to move the book back because it smelled how it did.

I'm watching this again since it aired and I'm really blown away at how great it is.
I had thought it was a goofy comedy (it is) but also extremely heartfelt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MichiganCubbie posted:

I love the extended cut, but it has that stupid "Park the Bluesmobile inside the power transformer" scene. It goes on for way too long, isn't funny, and apparently is meant to show why the Bluesmobile is special and powerful, but it isn't explained at all.

All I can say about that scene is that with it, the Peter Gunn theme syncs up with the visuals better than the theatrical version.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm watching this again since it aired and I'm really blown away at how great it is.
I had thought it was a goofy comedy (it is) but also extremely heartfelt.

The main problem I had with the show was that at times Reese could go too far, or just not be funny in how much of an rear end in a top hat he was. I just didn't enjoy watching his character as a result.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I didn't see any real progression in his character throughout the series but the rest of the characters made up for it, for me

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Reese's driving test showed great character.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"I used to get an international spy, Finch. Of course I know how to play baccarat."

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

BioEnchanted posted:

The main problem I had with the show was that at times Reese could go too far, or just not be funny in how much of an rear end in a top hat he was.

That's the definition of an older brother though, at least in my personal experience.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dragonstoned posted:

That's the definition of an older brother though, at least in my personal experience.

Actually, it's younger brothers.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Powaqoatse posted:

Actually, it's younger brothers.

The age gap with Francis resets the dynamic of the household. So Reese becomes the oldest, but based on the order of birth Reese makes sense being the idiot anarchist.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Kramdar posted:

The age gap with Francis resets the dynamic of the household. So Reese becomes the oldest, but based on the order of birth Reese makes sense being the idiot anarchist.

Me and my 3 older brothers had a similar age spread, and the show is actually incredibly accurate with the power dynamics. Thankfully, I also have 4 older sisters, so things evened out nicely and nothing got quite as out-of-hand as it does on the show.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rewatched Starship Troopers recently and it reinforced how perfect I think that movie is, the pacing and storytelling and world building are loving flawless and I'm astounded by how well it holds up compared to so many other, newer films. I also spotted something I've never noticed before: after Rico gets command of the Roughnecks and just before they head out for the climactic raid, Rico's inspecting the replacements and he does the standard "jesus look at these kids fresh out of boot" like all military men in any movie ever but the replacements are all actual kids, like 15, maybe 16 years old. A subtle moment that reinforces how absolutely flat out nazi-bad the Federation actually is.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FELD1 posted:

Me and my 3 older brothers had a similar age spread, and the show is actually incredibly accurate with the power dynamics. Thankfully, I also have 4 older sisters, so things evened out nicely and nothing got quite as out-of-hand as it does on the show.

3 older brothers and 4 older sisters? Jesus Christ.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

Rewatched Starship Troopers recently and it reinforced how perfect I think that movie is, the pacing and storytelling and world building are loving flawless and I'm astounded by how well it holds up compared to so many other, newer films. I also spotted something I've never noticed before: after Rico gets command of the Roughnecks and just before they head out for the climactic raid, Rico's inspecting the replacements and he does the standard "jesus look at these kids fresh out of boot" like all military men in any movie ever but the replacements are all actual kids, like 15, maybe 16 years old. A subtle moment that reinforces how absolutely flat out nazi-bad the Federation actually is.

I'll have to watch it again, but I think they were just trying to show how raw the new recruits were compared to the now grizzled veterans. Rico was too pretty to look convincingly weathered so they needed younger looking recruits.

Except for Doogie, none of the high schoolers at the beginning looked remotely 18. The other team's football guy looked 30.

Edit: yeah, just looked it up. He was 30.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Aug 1, 2017

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'll have to watch it again, but I think they were just trying to show how raw the new recruits were compared to the now grizzled veterans. Rico was too pretty to look convincingly weathered so they needed younger looking recruits.

Except for Doogie, none of the high schoolers at the beginning looked remotely 18. The other team's football guy looked 30.

Edit: yeah, just looked it up. He was 30.

I get what you're saying but these kids are so obviously children I find it hard to believe it wasn't a jab at the federation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Biplane posted:

Yeah, that movie loving kicks rear end although I never found it subtle. Even the effects hold up for the most part.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, that movie loving kicks rear end although I never found it subtle. Even the effects hold up for the most part.

I love that movie too, and yes, it's basically the least subtle movie of all time and of course tons of critics at the time couldn't even grasp the simplest idea of satire and took it at face value.

Fun story, I worked with a guy who was an extra in the scene where Rico gets his math scores displayed on the big screen. He got to stand right next to Denise Richards in her prime. :swoon:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BiggerBoat posted:

The coming remake is going to stay closer to the source material, so it will take everything at face value and forgo the satire entirely. Sad!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Fun story, I worked with a guy who was an extra in the scene where Rico gets his math scores displayed on the big screen. He got to stand right next to Denise Richards in her prime. :swoon:

Denise Richards is timeless and I will fight anyone IRL who says otherwise.

Those crazy eyes...

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Biplane posted:

Also basically every actual adult shown on screen is hosed up in some way, robot hands or a lack of legs or scars or whatever, so we know that by the time Rico is welcoming/indoctrinating the new crop of soldiers, and thereby becoming an adult in his fascist world, that he must be really hosed up too.

Starship Troopers is probably one of the most unappreciated movies, and it's also really weird how rollercoaster Verhoeven's catalogue has gotten in the last couple decades.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I recall some.hollywood anecdote about a casting director selecting a bunch of 17-19 year olds for a war movie with a early 20's sgt and being told they were way too you g to be believable soldiers.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I always took the younger recruits as a subtle world choice that shows that thanks to the war they had to institute a draft into teenagers while the initial battles were fought by the voluntary professional army.

Also, in classic fascist fashion, boot camp was less about training for the upcoming war against the common enemy (the bugs) and more about creating a show force that was locked into a specific theory of war. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but there's really interesting books about how the Nazis never changed their training methods or fighting doctrines, even after it was clear that the theory they were training (hard, fast, directed attacks) no longer worked in a war they were losing. In Starship Troopers they're fighting a species they know outnumbers and out-reproduces humans with thousands of foot soldiers rather than doing what they did later in the war (bombing indiscriminately) and as a result lost a gigantic portion of their undertrained "professionals" in pointless battles.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For all their Nazi tendencies, they sure never figured out combined arms tactics.

Come on, at least a tank.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Krispy Kareem posted:

For all their Nazi tendencies, they sure never figured out combined arms tactics.

Come on, at least a tank.

They're each supposed to be wearing one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I always figured it's supposed to be the idea that losing a whole bunch of soldiers is much cheaper than losing a tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Roughnecks had fire support Marauders alongside regular power armored infantry as well as artillery and air support. On Pluto they went up against 1 million arachnids with only ten thousand troopers and managed to win. It's also loving awesome and you should watch it regardless of how you feel about 90s TV CGI.

The new Starship Troopers reboot that is constantly going through development hell is going to be bad. Until it comes out, they'll just keep making more of those Resident Evil style CGI anime movies, which are also bad.