Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Concerned Citizen posted:

the reason why ofa was founded is because local parties are so broken that it was considered easier to simply ignore them and create an independent activist organization not beholden to local parties that were often openly hostile to the idea of actually trying to talk to voters. ofa disappeared up its own rear end but the essential truth remains that outside activist organizations are vastly more effective at basically any given task than local parties, which are and always will be, by and large, useless.

tell me more about running successful campaigns, you limp lanyard motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Concerned Citizen, I believe it was our collective lord and savior Barack Obama who said not to give in to the politics of cynicism and negativity a moral he himself didn't espouse near the end while he was busy endorsing TPP and talking poo poo on Collin Kaepernick.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

"the part of our party that is the most immediately visible to people who don't follow politics is useless, instead of figuring out why lets just make our party irrelevent"

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agean90 posted:

the best part is that florida gets enough migrants that you cant just go lmao the south, thats stupid from every part of the us :911

It would absolutely be a blue state if the party wasn't completely brain dead :(

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

It would absolutely be a blue state if the party wasn't completely brain dead :(

and GA would be a hotly contested battleground state :( The entirety of the south east is an excellent look at what CC's "lmao lets ignore whole swaths of our party" gets you, since all that is the results of decades of bad messaging driving off anyone who would want to help.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

hillary outsmarts her critics 1nce more!!!

Nah, just seems like a weird non-sequitur. Who cares what a failed candidate of 2016 thinks?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

People like this man are why I think America will require a purification.

Same except anyone discussing "tax credits for businesses."

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Agean90 posted:

so what your saying is that on multiple occasions democrat party apparatuses have dissapeared up their own rear end, more are doing so (DCCC!) and at no point has anybody with all those national assets and money every tried to figure out why and prevent it from happening :thunk:

state parties are getting payments now (a mistake, but perez promised it). that said, the core issue here is that county/local parties are stuck in an organization fit for 1960s machine politics that no longer works, if it ever really did. precinct captains rarely do anything, and in any case they aren't necessary in a world where paper records have been supplanted by databases maintained by state parties/the dnc. they often limit their membership deliberately, such as only allowing a couple of voting members per precinct - what kind of activist organization is hostile to growing itself? they are designed to be as dull/formal as humanly possible - like you have 15 people at this meeting and you're using robert's rules of order and spending an hour arguing over whether you should buy an american flag, then you wonder why you have such trouble getting young people to join. and actually doing things - for the most part these people maybe do one event every couple of months that isn't a monthly meeting between themselves. gathering names of supporters, holding recruitment/drumbeat events, trainings, whatever, that's all considered a waste of time.

even in places where local parties have a lot of power and control, like in some cities, the parties are often blatantly corrupt. this is especially a problem in northeast - no surprise but in my experience jersey is the worst. like much worse than anything at state or federal level by far, just outright owned by a few people. and they're still worthless and weak, like in bridgeport where the corrupt local party gets repeatedly owned by voters.

this problem will never be fixed because the people who are in a position to fix it do not think there's a problem and have no interest in fixing it. even "reformers" at best thing we should reinforce the existing system rather than consider ways to completely revamp the party. so i have no faith in it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

fun fact: cory booker actually ended up co-sponsoring bernie's re-importation bill

Oh in that case he is beyond reproach.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Oh in that case he is beyond reproach.

He also ran into a burning building to save someone

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

state parties are getting payments now (a mistake, but perez promised it). that said, the core issue here is that county/local parties are stuck in an organization fit for 1960s machine politics that no longer works, if it ever really did. precinct captains rarely do anything, and in any case they aren't necessary in a world where paper records have been supplanted by databases maintained by state parties/the dnc. they often limit their membership deliberately, such as only allowing a couple of voting members per precinct - what kind of activist organization is hostile to growing itself? they are designed to be as dull/formal as humanly possible - like you have 15 people at this meeting and you're using robert's rules of order and spending an hour arguing over whether you should buy an american flag, then you wonder why you have such trouble getting young people to join. and actually doing things - for the most part these people maybe do one event every couple of months that isn't a monthly meeting between themselves. gathering names of supporters, holding recruitment/drumbeat events, trainings, whatever, that's all considered a waste of time.

even in places where local parties have a lot of power and control, like in some cities, the parties are often blatantly corrupt. this is especially a problem in northeast - no surprise but in my experience jersey is the worst. like much worse than anything at state or federal level by far, just outright owned by a few people. and they're still worthless and weak, like in bridgeport where the corrupt local party gets repeatedly owned by voters.

this problem will never be fixed because the people who are in a position to fix it do not think there's a problem and have no interest in fixing it. even "reformers" at best thing we should reinforce the existing system rather than consider ways to completely revamp the party. so i have no faith in it.

so what im gathering here is let the democrat party die so something less retarded can spring up :thunk::thunk:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
being braindead and collecting a paycheck for being the release valve for people feels like how the dem party is. Getting a lecture about how this county party is simply a vanity and that the national party affords us this courtesy everytime we go to the county party meeting kinda puts it into perspective.

Dunno if any UK people read this thread but if you thought there was any democratic process for the party? There isn't, county doesn't mean poo poo to state doesn't mean poo poo to national.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Agean90 posted:

so what im gathering here is let the democrat party die so something less retarded can spring up :thunk::thunk:

the solution is stop pretending like the party infrastructure matters at all, it does not. like brand new congress is run by loving idiots but even they understand you can/should run campaigns independently of like the 15 irrelevant people who are officers at the county party, and winning elected office is a surer route to real power than hosting a fish fry to fundraise for a county party office that is only open for 2 nights a month.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

or the ethical "debate" about the propriety of hillary meeting saudis when they're paying her husband massive speech fees

or the emails that detailed the clinton foundation staffers' concerns about bill's grifting for furniture & travel

or the massive worksheet that broke out all the poo poo hillary had said in her paid speeches to wall st. that might (rightfully) sink the campaign

or the media requests for puff pieces (questions known ahead of time) and the lists of media lapdogs most anxious to comply

it might not have all risen to the level of political corruption but it sure rose to the level of political rot.

CC literally argued that DWS isn't corrupt because she's heavily in debt, so it means she didn't take any money lol

Don't engage that loving moron

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Grognan posted:

being braindead and collecting a paycheck for being the release valve for people feels like how the dem party is. Getting a lecture about how this county party is simply a vanity and that the national party affords us this courtesy everytime we go to the county party meeting kinda puts it into perspective.

Dunno if any UK people read this thread but if you thought there was any democratic process for the party? There isn't, county doesn't mean poo poo to state doesn't mean poo poo to national.

the national party is not good either. the local parties elect people to the state parties, the state parties elect people to the national party. if the local parties are rotten, it follows that the infrastructure the rest of the way is also rotten. that is why elected officials, not party officials, hold the actual power in the democratic party.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Frijolero posted:

CC literally argued that DWS isn't corrupt because she's heavily in debt, so it means she didn't take any money lol

Don't engage that loving moron

i didn't actually argue that btw, i was making a tongue-in-cheek point that you missed

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

wasserman schultz should be caned with molten rebar

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

i didn't actually argue that btw, i was making a tongue-in-cheek point that you missed

Honest question:
How'd you get your av?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Frijolero posted:

Honest question:
How'd you get your av?

i gave it to myself. it is meant to be ironic.

edit: well the picture is actually from 2007, and was one of the first image results for "concerned citizen"

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 05:52 on Jul 26, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

it is meant to be ironic.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a razor thin line between pretending to be an insufferable rear end in a top hat and just actually being an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

the national party is not good either. the local parties elect people to the state parties, the state parties elect people to the national party. if the local parties are rotten, it follows that the infrastructure the rest of the way is also rotten. that is why elected officials, not party officials, hold the actual power in the democratic party.

let's not forget the iron whip that party chairman reince preibus held over republicans, too

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Frijolero posted:

There's a razor thin line between pretending to be an insufferable rear end in a top hat and just actually being an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

the thin brown line

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I love that #stillwithher twitter treats the McCain hug as a line not to cross but still remains completely unfazed at Clinton and co's associations with Albright and Kissinger.

(The hugs were still bullshit)

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
maybe if u squeeze mccain enough the tumor will burst all over his body

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frijolero posted:

and those who try to pretend they're the former are nowhere near as intellectually graceful enough to tread that line.

(and before anyone asks, i've repeatedly stated itt that i freely consider myself to be a member of the latter camp)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://i.imgur.com/YaKeFp5.gifv

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lotta people are nice and pissed at McCain on twitter. :getin:

https://twitter.com/SenJohnMcCain/status/889952404833271808

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think concerned citizen makes a good point about the state and local dem parties being just as much of useless good-ol-boy clubs as the national party and that ignoring the dem institutions entirely in favor of building new ones like the dsa is the way to go. it's too bad cc trolls so much that when he posts earnestly he drowns himself out

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

logikv9 posted:

*monotone voice* I too am engulfed with anger

lmbo

bookers an absolute ledge

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
my anger covers an entire gulf, as i am an impatient consumer awaiting to consume my healthcare that i dont have because thats what happens when you consume it, its loving gone then you have to get another one, and then another one because you keep consuming it and oh my god it never ends

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
:cripes:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

i think concerned citizen makes a good point about the state and local dem parties being just as much of useless good-ol-boy clubs as the national party and that ignoring the dem institutions entirely in favor of building new ones like the dsa is the way to go. it's too bad cc trolls so much that when he posts earnestly he drowns himself out

it doesn't take much effort to troll the suck zone

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNTjNkD7ifU

e: lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the manufactured opioid epidemic makes a lot more sense once you realize the ruling class sees vulnerable people who need health care as little more than "consumers"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Taintrunner posted:

the manufactured opioid epidemic makes a lot more sense once you realize the ruling class sees vulnerable people who need health care as little more than "consumers"

you should watch Ozark on netflix then, its so contemporary to everything ongoing right now its really good

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
dsa is a good organization, but it's still small although it is at least growing very rapidly. i am hopeful they stay intact during this phase of rapid expansion and iron out the kinks. i appreciate that local chapters are meant to be active, actually want to recruit candidates to run for office, and then support them. members are actually encouraged to get involved in decision-making and there are paths to leadership for new, highly-motivated activists. i am less enthusiastic about more centralized groups like our revolution that do not recruit candidates, but rather ask people who are already running to come to their chapter and justify why they should get an endorsement, followed by an unelected national group getting veto power on the endorsement - that is not how you build a grassroots organization, that is how you make yourself a gatekeeper to an email fundraising list.

edit: also a great deal of respect for working families party, who have already done a lot to advance progressive politics.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 06:58 on Jul 26, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

there is no fixing them. they are broken institutions. if you fund them, they will waste the money. if you train them, they will not listen. local parties are obsolete and no longer necessary, they are basically hang out clubs. basically the surest sign that someone will never knock a door or make a phone call is that they are a member of the local party, especially if they have some sort of title.

oddly, CC does not believe that local parties, unions, grassroots activists, students, churches, or really anyone other than the campaign volunteers on the spreadsheet directly in front of him actually matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

if you dont have a goddamn checkmark by your name on my goddamn excel doc then how can i even tell that you exist!?

• Locked thread