Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

...! posted:

The brothers don't seem stupid so now that they know that Dougie isn't the one who was screwing them over, I think they're going to realize it was Anthony, so I don't think his life expectancy is going to be very high at this point. (It would be awesome if they have Candie kill him.) So once he's dead, what's Office Guy going to do? I imagine the brothers will have Coop under their protection from now on, so how's the guy going to get close to him?

I'm guessing that Duncan Todd is the other part of the "double-header" that BadCoop has for Hutch and Chantal. He didn't have any faith that Todd was going to succeed with this latest attempt and just planned to kill him anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Dana Ashbrook was really good this episode, especially his reaction to the gun shot and car crash. Bobby actually became more interesting in season 2 when they gave him more to do than just be the 'bad boy' red herring and him becoming a police officer oddly works.

I'm sure this has been dicussed in the thread before, but when his the revival meant to be taking place? A lot of sites are saying 2014, with the events of the original series being retconned to 1989, but has that been confirmed onscreen? The Secret History of Twin Peaks dates the Dossier to 2016, but that would makeTammy Preston's arc make less sense, because she seems both cynical about Gordon and Cooper and also less experienced in the dossier notes than she does during the events of the revival?

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 26, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

OldMemes posted:

Dana Ashbrook was really good this episode, especially his reaction to the gun shot and car crash. Bobby actually became more interesting in season 2 when they gave him more to do than just be the 'bad boy' red herring and him becoming a police officer oddly works.

I'm sure this has been dicussed in the thread before, but when his the revival meant to be taking place? A lot of sites are saying 2014, with the events of the original series being retconned to 1989, but has that been confirmed onscreen? The Secret History of Twin Peaks dates the Dossier to 2016, but that would makeTammy Preston's arc make less sense, because she seems both cynical about Gordon and Cooper and also less experienced in the dossier notes than she does during the events of the revival?

New season definitely takes place before the dossier is researched.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
But doesn't the book mention that Cooper is still missing?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

FSFunky posted:

But doesn't the book mention that Cooper is still missing?

The way Tammy writes makes it seem that she's much less familar with the Cooper case than she appears in the show. Gordon's note at the beggining sounds like he's addressing a rookie, not someone who he's familar with and has done assignments with. She's never heard of Philip Jefferies in the book, but wasn't she present at the doppellganger's questioning where Gordon talked about him?

Aren't there meant to be mistakes in the secret history that Mark Frost has been pretty coy about why they're there? Maybe the Final Dossier will tie it all together.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
I personally do kinda feel like that whatever order they go in, the characterization of Preston is inconsistent in terms of how much she knows and is familiar with.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah it makes sense that Gordon is keeping the Blue Rose stuff from her, like what happened to Chester Desmond, but she seems really out the loop in some of her notes.

(What DID happen to Chester Desmond anyway? A Chris Isaak cameo in the Black Lodge would be nice).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

OldMemes posted:

Yeah it makes sense that Gordon is keeping the Blue Rose stuff from her, like what happened to Chester Desmond, but she seems really out the loop in some of her notes.

(What DID happen to Chester Desmond anyway? A Chris Isaak cameo in the Black Lodge would be nice).

Not on the cast list, sadly. That was the storyline I was most hoping would get revisited. It might still, but probably without Isaak.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This thread really doesn't have enough gifs.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i really like the weird gangsters and their weird showgirl henchwomen

very 1960s batman

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DaveKap posted:

This thread really doesn't have enough gifs.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Rewatching that scene there is a weird graphics effect moment while the kid stares at Bobby and Bobby turns to the dad and the dad blurs a little

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also holy gently caress diane is gonna kill the gently caress outta albert.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Baloogan posted:

I was thinking him or Tammy, but yeah. Probably not Tammy. I'm sure Lynch kept her in every scene he could with him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2fBemrozI8

Baloogan posted:

I hope not :ohdear: I love Albert. But that might happen. Either she'll kill him or Doppelcoop will.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Baloogan posted:

Rewatching that scene there is a weird graphics effect moment while the kid stares at Bobby and Bobby turns to the dad and the dad blurs a little
I think it's been universally accepted there's just loving weird-rear end post-production edit/effects because for some reason they felt like they needed to do touch-up or fix poo poo. Or they just simply lacked proper footage. Like someone pointed out they reversed the shot of dirty hobo for when Diane saw him before the Metal Gear moment.

Which, for me, just supports the general sloppiness of the entire season (writing, pacing, scenes, whatever) that's irked me since the first episode

Zmej fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 26, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way the darkness hobo looks like he stumbled on set and "whoopsie doodled" his way out of view at the start of that scene made me laugh.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah and wtf is with all the reversed scenes, fed the drat video cameras backwards i want my money back

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

just lmao that mathew lillard still hasnt seen seasons 1 and 2

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
So I rewatched ep1 and 2 last night and there is definitely an out of place scene with Hawk searching the woods at night (I think someone mentioned this earlier too).

When I first watched it I just assumed he was searching for the "something" that was lost but now I think we're seeing something that hasn't happened yet.

Hawk is walking towards glastonbury grove when he gets a phone call from the log lady:

H: Margaret?
M: Hawk. Where are you walking tonight?
H: Once again, your log and I are on the same page. Supposed to be something happening here tonight.
M: The stars turn and the time presents itself. Hawk, watch carefully.
H: I will, Margaret.
M: I'm too weak to go with you. But stop by. I have coffee and pie for you.
H: Gonna have to be after. I'm almost there now.
M: Please, let me know what happens.
H: I will, Margaret. Good night, Margaret.

This is right before a sequence with Coops in the lodge and Laura telling him that he can go now. It makes it sound like Hawk is going to the black lodge on the date / time that was specified by Major Briggs message and his map.

I know that Jade mailed the room key back from the Dougie storyline and it seemed to match up but I'm really starting to think that Dougie is a dream / alternate timeline and that was just some trickery. I'm starting to get the feeling that when Coops wakes up he'll find himself leaving the lodge and meeting Hawk in the woods.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it does seem like the dougie universe is a dream. Its just too silly.

But "it was all a dream!!" is too simple for lynch.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Agreed that it's not likely to be a "dream", more like a Mulholland Drive style alternative timeline

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, it does seem like the dougie universe is a dream. Its just too silly.

But "it was all a dream!!" is too simple for lynch.

To be fair, that's literally the secret of Mulholland Drive.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/p9t4URs.gifv

Can I get a Transcendental Meditation Cult edit of this?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

OldMemes posted:

Probably went through something like this:

Into the place above the convenience store.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think the Dougie/Booper sequences are simply played out of sequence to the stuff happening in Twin Peaks, if anything. The only reason I think the Dougie stuff is fo sho real is the lengths Booper went to, to avoid being pulled into the Lodge when Cooper replaced Dougie.

All of that led to the Gordon/Tammy/Albert storyline, too. So unless they're also in an alternate reality/dream idk if Dougie will be.

Whatever it will be, I look forward to finding out.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think the booper timeline is happening inside bad coop's head.

bad coop 'sent' all these bad things after booper (inside his own head)
like, the hip hop theme woman, she got these messages, imo she got them from bad coop.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Breadallelogram posted:

I don't know, I think it's fair to discuss TM. It's a big part of Lynch's life and influences his creative process.
I mean, sure, but if the TM discussion had been in any way related to how Twin Peaks is written and presented, that would have helped a lot.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2fBemrozI8

I hope not :ohdear: I love Albert. But that might happen. Either she'll kill him or Doppelcoop will.

i feel like albert isn't adding that much now. he makes an occasional snarky comment but his skills and worldview aren't likely to add much to the substance of the show. i don't dislike him and would like him to stick around, just opining that albert's death wouldn't surprise me or really throw the show on its head.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Killing off a classic character would be an effective way to introduce some more high stakes to this thing. But I love them all and want them to stay around forever :( (except Nadine, she can eat it)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Probably went through something like this:

Into the place above the convenience store.

The telephone pole is dead center. Looks like a blue rose...

I saw a picture the other day in which the stairs with the woodsmen on, right in the back ground the room behind them looked like the room from the picture laura hangs in her wall that takes her to the black lodge back in fwwm

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 26, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Escobarbarian posted:

Killing off a classic character would be an effective way to introduce some more high stakes to this thing. But I love them all and want them to stay around forever :( (except Nadine, she can eat it)

I thought we might have been going to lose Gordon for a minute when he was checking out that vortex, but then he was just like WELL THAT HAPPENED.

Love you Gordon.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

[quote="“Neurosis”" post="“474732832”"]
i feel like albert isn’t adding that much now. he makes an occasional snarky comment but his skills and worldview aren’t likely to add much to the substance of the show. i don’t dislike him and would like him to stick around, just opining that albert’s death wouldn’t surprise me or really throw the show on its head.
[/quote]But he saved Gordon from getting pulled into the Black Lodge portal!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Albert owns. It's sincerely admirable and uplifting that Miguel Ferrer was enough of a champion to participate fully in 'The Return' despite his failing health

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

But he saved Gordon from getting pulled into the Black Lodge portal!

The barely veiled outrage at Diane memorising the writing on Ruth's arm was also amazing. Albert is just too good for this world. And that's why he's going to die. :ohdear:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I like that Albert's response to Gordon almost getting pulled into another dimension was a stern 'Gordon be careful what is wrong with you' look, rather than an freakout.

Chester got taken by The Man From Another Place, so he should still be in the Black Lodge.....somewhere? It's a big place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Albert owns. It's sincerely admirable and uplifting that Miguel Ferrer was enough of a champion to participate fully in 'The Return' despite his failing health

He and Catherine Coulson really do deserve some kind of posthumous award for their performances because goddamn they're doing great for people who were on the brink of death when this was being filmed. :smith:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To be fair filming had been wrapped for a while before Ferrer died. He looks a lil gaunt but really not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

And More posted:

The barely veiled outrage at Diane memorising the writing on Ruth's arm was also amazing. Albert is just too good for this world. And that's why he's going to die. :ohdear:
Knowing Albert, I think it was more, "Seriously, Diane? Mouthing out the numbers while leaning over Gordon in plain sight of everyone in the goddamn room?"