Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Here's something new. It's like a Chinese cultivation thing inside a Japanese dating game system with an actually pleasant mc. Not many chapters out but I thought they were fairly funny and not creepy, at least so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

owl milk posted:

Here's something new. It's like a Chinese cultivation thing inside a Japanese dating game system with an actually pleasant mc. Not many chapters out but I thought they were fairly funny and not creepy, at least so far

does he really date touhous in santa outfits or is the cover image misleading

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a bunch of chinese wn's just steal unrelated pictures from anywhere. i've seen kratos, the hulk, the assassin's creed guy, etc.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
awwww yea my boy ccs is getting to the next arc. this one gets insanely good and I'm excited to read a non-mtl version

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder what happened to the summary anon who was translating arc 5 of re zero...

b00n
May 8, 2007
Hello everyone

Warframe is a game that is very anime and it turns out that a few of the goons playing Warframe also like reading Web/Light Novels, and as a result, the collective thinktank of the Goon Warframe Discord came up with this Bingo sheet on bad translators:

Click the image if you want to rearrange the entries for yourself, they're randomized.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ah yes, the well known translation flaw of blocking ad block.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

b00n posted:

Hello everyone

Warframe is a game that is very anime and it turns out that a few of the goons playing Warframe also like reading Web/Light Novels, and as a result, the collective thinktank of the Goon Warframe Discord came up with this Bingo sheet on bad translators:

Click the image if you want to rearrange the entries for yourself, they're randomized.

I tick like four of those boxes. :(

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

blastron posted:

All according to keikaku

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Namtab posted:

I mean ...yea? When you machine translate the first thing that catches your eye on soysetu, copy / paste the results to your poorly formatted site where nothing functions but the ad-blocker blocker, that's a bit annoying?

Worse is when there's a paywall or a login requirement though.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Namtab posted:

It's not? I know I've stopped reading novels because of their anti-adblock protection being a pain in the rear end, and I'm not disabling my adblock just so their special snowflake of a site can bombard me with pop ups/unders, redirects and NSFW ads that screw with my phone while im on break at work.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tornhelm posted:

It's not? I know I've stopped reading novels because of their anti-adblock protection being a pain in the rear end, and I'm not disabling my adblock just so their special snowflake of a site can bombard me with pop ups/unders, redirects and NSFW ads that screw with my phone while im on break at work.

Yeah, not running an adblock on your phone is an excellent way to have poo poo installed and running down your data allowance all in one go. For a while Wuxiaworld, arguably the best site for CN and KR novels in pretty much every way, got stuck with video ads that ate 500 or so megs per pageload if you left the page open for whatever reason. The other sites tend to be worse.

Edit: RRL :psyduck:

quote:

So my story is pretty cliche killed by the gods, reincarnated into a different world I even get a status screen. Yeah this story is probably not gonna stand out very well so whats different well I'm a plant, still not enough my status screen looks more like a base builder in strategy games, need more how about my growth rate is so fast I can grow 100 meters faster than an Olympic Athlete can run it. Now your interested click to read about how I Joseph Phisher a sentient plant shows the world who's really top of the food chain.

Warning This fiction contains:
Sexual Content

This piece of fiction has 4+ stars and the rather innocuous name 'Watching grass grow' :smithicide:

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 22, 2017

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

blastron posted:

It can't be helped. It can't be helped. It can't be helped. It can't be helped.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Arbitrary Number posted:

It can't be helped. It can't be helped. It can't be helped. It can't be helped.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

jon joe posted:

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Un! Furthermore, Mh.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I coughed blood reading those posts.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Good grief Qidian translation picks are mostly garbage. My gripe of the day: Sorcerer's Journey. Starts out with MC getting into magic studies, but eventually devolves into senseless violence and murder. 2/5, only because the magic studies method is interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the one thing i liked about sorcerer's journey was how the mysterious magic book he picked up as a child turned out to be mostly useful for making money by selling drugs. that's it. that's his big advantage up to the point I stopped reading- he was wealthy enough to buy lots of magic supplies because he was a drug dealer.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the one thing i liked about sorcerer's journey was how the mysterious magic book he picked up as a child turned out to be mostly useful for making money by selling drugs. that's it. that's his big advantage up to the point I stopped reading- he was wealthy enough to buy lots of magic supplies because he was a drug dealer.

Which makes it surprisingly realistic in a way.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
How do people rate the raising the dead translations of I'm a spider? I've just finished all the blastron chapters and now I've started on the turbo ones...but man they're baaaaaaaaaaaad. The second newest chapter of blastron's covers a really exciting and tense fight and was amazing to read. I went back and read the turbo translation and it's just confusing.

If the raising the dead ones are decent I'll just blitz the turbo ones not knowing what's going on, maybe getting more of an idea in hindsight once blastron has reached them. If they're bad too I'll just follow blastron's releases.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

A little off topic but does anyone know what the HELL is up with this translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms that I found online?

http://www.e-reading.club/bookreader.php/93594/Guanzhong_-_Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms_%28vol._1%29.html#label69

"We three--Jeffery-Lewis, Yale-Perez, and Floyd-Chardin--though of different families, swear brotherhood, and promise mutual help to one end. We will rescue each other in difficulty; we will aid each other in danger. We swear to serve the state and save the people. We ask not the same day of birth, but we seek to die together. "

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sharktamer posted:

How do people rate the raising the dead translations of I'm a spider? I've just finished all the blastron chapters and now I've started on the turbo ones...but man they're baaaaaaaaaaaad. The second newest chapter of blastron's covers a really exciting and tense fight and was amazing to read. I went back and read the turbo translation and it's just confusing.

If the raising the dead ones are decent I'll just blitz the turbo ones not knowing what's going on, maybe getting more of an idea in hindsight once blastron has reached them. If they're bad too I'll just follow blastron's releases.

Raising is better than Turbo by a long shot, but nowhere near as good as Blastron

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Pretty sure that's a joke (though with notable effort put in, its not a straight up replace-all), with the original text from this translation:
https://www.amazon.com/Three-Kingdoms-Historical-Novel-Part/dp/0520224787

Not sure why someone decided that joke was worth the effort, but w/e

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 24, 2017

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

lurksion posted:

Pretty sure that's a joke (though with notable effort put in, its not a straight up replace-all), with the original text from this translation:
https://www.amazon.com/Three-Kingdoms-Historical-Novel-Part/dp/0520224787

Not sure why someone decided that joke was worth the effort, but w/e

Maybe just to own people like me who were looking for a copy of the text online

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol, in the lovely wn invincible the human-shaped locust mc has finally just started killing and eating people. no one except the victims see anything wrong with this.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

lol, in the lovely wn invincible the human-shaped locust mc has finally just started killing and eating people. no one except the victims see anything wrong with this.

Xianxia protagonists are notoriously horrible human beings. It's why I enjoy History's Number 1 Founder/Strongest Senior Brother. Because neither protagonist is particularly -good- at heart they're genuinely trying to help the situation. Plus Senior Brother just put the Tales of Demons and Gods analog out of his misery in a very satisfying fashion.

He struggled, still glaring unrelentingly at Yan Zhaoge with his right eye, filled with rage, hatred and unwillingness.

Yan Zhaoge looked calmly at Lin Zhou, saying mildly, “What, are you thinking about what you would definitely do if you could relive everything once more?”

Lin Zhou’s right eye abruptly dilated as he glared at Yan Zhaoge!

Seeing this expression of his, Yan Zhaoge nodded, “Before, I had still been unable to say for sure, only feeling that it felt like you had been reborn. Seeing your expression now, it must really have been like this.”

... [cut exposition that goes into more plot than I'd be comfortable spoiling]

“I am not clear whether you can relive things once more. Still, now, just go in peace,” Yan Zhaoge said indifferently, “Haven’t you yet noticed that after Clear Concealed Lake, the changes in the global situation would not really have changed whether or not you were present?”

“Perhaps this world has left you with regrets, but with you gone, there is nothing for this world to regret.”

Yan Zhaoge’s palm descended, “From a certain perspective, if the you back at Clear Concealed Lake had died then, there really is some possibility that it would have been a loss to the Eight Extremities World of that time. However, you yourself looked from important, weighty matters to inconsequential itches and pains.”

Lin Zhou died unresigned, his body completely exploded into a haze of blood mist!

His faint, silhouetted soul also dispersed with the wind.

The soul flying and the spirit scattering, to complete, and utter, damnation!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There's something about translated Chinese WN prose that I just can't deal with. Like, that excerpt FriggenJ posted is translated much better than most, and it still has this awkward feel to it.

edit: If I had to describe it, it has a sort of "hammy" feel to it. Like everything is really overblown.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"what's the name of that city?"
"that's Big Important City"
"Big Important City!" *eyes glow*

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm starting to remember the appeal of reading trash

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ytlaya posted:

There's something about translated Chinese WN prose that I just can't deal with. Like, that excerpt FriggenJ posted is translated much better than most, and it still has this awkward feel to it.

edit: If I had to describe it, it has a sort of "hammy" feel to it. Like everything is really overblown.
That's the good part.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Well, this sure ain't the high literature thread. And we're talking about amateur translators localizing amateur writers for free.

I find the Chinese stuff translates much better than the Japanese at least. They use so much less idiotic onomatopoeia (Which I'm wondering if it's a cultural thing that it sounds so ridiculous, low brow, and annoying when in English but it's ALL over JP stuff).

Edit: I'm serious about the Japanese cultural question here. Like is it something about the language that makes the sound effects not over the top or lazy writing? Cause if so I'll stop judging it as harshly even if I can't stand reading it.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 26, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FriggenJ posted:

Well, this sure ain't the high literature thread. And we're talking about amateur translators localizing amateur writers for free.

I find the Chinese stuff translates much better than the Japanese at least. They use so much less idiotic onomatopoeia (Which I'm wondering if it's a cultural thing that it sounds so ridiculous, low brow, and annoying when in English but it's ALL over JP stuff).

Edit: I'm serious about the Japanese cultural question here. Like is it something about the language that makes the sound effects not over the top or lazy writing? Cause if so I'll stop judging it as harshly even if I can't stand reading it.

Japanese uses far more onomatopoeia than English (or possibly most languages), yeah. A lot of verbs will be expressed as "some onomatopoeia + to-do verb".

I think that with me personally it's just due to knowing enough Japanese that the general way ideas are expressed feels familiar. I also think many people who grew up watching anime or whatever may have also grown used to the way "Japanese translated to English" sounds.

Also, good Japanese translations don't leave the onomatopoeia in, but there may be other quirks I overlook due to greater familiarity with the language (though I'm pretty sure Chinese WNs are still far more hammy/theatric regardless).

edit: I think what gets to me is that literally every Chinese WN I've tried to read has this feel to it. It's like if every Japanese show was tokusatsu or something.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 26, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
to me, the strangest part of chinese wn's is how every one of them i've read absolutely seethes with greed. more money, more power, more women, but it is never enough and this endless thirst is somehow seen as a virtue.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

to me, the strangest part of chinese wn's is how every one of them i've read absolutely seethes with greed. more money, more power, more women, but it is never enough and this endless thirst is somehow seen as a virtue.

You know all those cyberpunk films where the protagonists are fighting the megacorporations who exploit others for profit and foster a culture where the rich are avatars of goodliness? These guys see those films and think "You know being the ceo ain't so bad i'm pretty sure that if I was in charge I'd be making everyone's lives better, except for the people I hate." Also something Communism and hyper capitalism ebbs and flows in Chinese history.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 26, 2017

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
china is currently the sort of place where if you maim somebody with your car, you are heavily incentivized to finish them off

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Sindai posted:

That's the good part.

:yeah:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

lovely WNs and LNs seem to represent some lovely desire of lovely people who are well off and educated enough to write

ours are the same they just get published more

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Been enjoying Infinite Competitive Dungeon Society a lot lately

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's by the same guy who did everyone else is a returnee, which was real fun for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Did Returnee ever go back to being fun? I fell off around chapter 130, after the invaders made skin-suits out of everyone in Venezuela, the MC found out and violently murdered them, then traveled back to their world and kept violently murdering everyone for like 15 chapters in a row.