Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Prism posted:

I also have Chrome, just with no plug-ins. It's got a white background, all the pictures are sized wrong if they display at all (the cart icon takes up slightly over a screen... at 2560x1440) and there's no check out button after I add the version I want to my cart. I get similar results on IE and Firefox, though with fewer mis-sized items. Totally unusable.

Ditto. If you open the console, you'll see a lot of errors like this:

The resource at “http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Site/turbine/pb/multimedia/lotro-mordor/main.css%94 was blocked because tracking protection is enabled.

I made a post on it for their store support forums. Feel free to bump or what-not.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showth...229#post7750229

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genghispawn
Aug 17, 2008
So possibly a difficult/dumb question,

I'm about to hit the Helm's Deep content. Assuming that I don't have a huge backlog of LOTRO points, Is it better or cheaper to buy the LOTRO points and buy the expansion, or to just buy it straight from the Turbine site?

The same question would apply to Mordor I think...

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

genghispawn posted:

So possibly a difficult/dumb question,

I'm about to hit the Helm's Deep content. Assuming that I don't have a huge backlog of LOTRO points, Is it better or cheaper to buy the LOTRO points and buy the expansion, or to just buy it straight from the Turbine site?

The same question would apply to Mordor I think...

Mordor is an easy answer: It's cash only, no Steam option even brought back yet. It'll remain that way until update 22 roughly this winter when you can then buy it for 2495 points and the high elf race for 1000 points. So only the epic quest / main story is free for everyone when it comes out in a week, everything else is not going to be in the lotro store yet.

Helm's Deep and most expansions are best bought with cash unless you've unlocked a lot of free lotro points. Depending on your patience, it's price will probably drop right around the time of Mordor's release unless the devs are dumb.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

... Depending on your patience, it's price will probably drop right around the time of Mordor's release unless the devs are dumb.

Have you seen what they're asking for the 2nd & 3rd tiers of the Mordor expansion? Yeah.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I can't remember the last time I logged in and actually played rather than log on quick to pay my housing fee. Seeing that High Elves will be an option's what's got me thinking of coming back more steadily. I think Rohan was still pretty new last time I played and from what I can tell when I look at my various characters inventories and quest logs, I think I got caught up in the completionist addiction and also began doing a ton of crafting then burnt out a bit. My highest character is a in the 30s hunter and not sure where to pick up from to just get back into the swing of things and just stick with one character until I get the rest sorted out. I will pick up Mordor when I've got the spending room next month but of all the options for the expansion, I'm really only wanting the High Elves since the rest I could take or leave.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I should go on my hunter for the time being?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

M_Sinistrari posted:

I can't remember the last time I logged in and actually played rather than log on quick to pay my housing fee. Seeing that High Elves will be an option's what's got me thinking of coming back more steadily. I think Rohan was still pretty new last time I played and from what I can tell when I look at my various characters inventories and quest logs, I think I got caught up in the completionist addiction and also began doing a ton of crafting then burnt out a bit. My highest character is a in the 30s hunter and not sure where to pick up from to just get back into the swing of things and just stick with one character until I get the rest sorted out. I will pick up Mordor when I've got the spending room next month but of all the options for the expansion, I'm really only wanting the High Elves since the rest I could take or leave.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I should go on my hunter for the time being?

In the 30's usually the best place to go is Evendim.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm a level 27 captain and I'm really taking my time. I've just gotten to the lone-lands. I thoroughly enjoy this old rear end MMO.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

If I recall correctly, in the past they've had 50% off sales for current content around Christmastime. I figure that's going to change this year since they're making you wait until that time just to buy it with points. For the price of the ultimate edition, it should be a boxed edition with some cool physical items. I would've thrown my money at them for that. The cosmetics and mounts are just ugly IMO. I bought the WoW Legion collector's edition last year for under $80 with my Amazon Prime discount and got so much more.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm a level 27 captain and I'm really taking my time. I've just gotten to the lone-lands. I thoroughly enjoy this old rear end MMO.

Truly the best way to play. If you rush, this becomes just another MMO. I realize some people are stoked for Mordor and want to powerlevel to 105, but try to refrain from doing that unless you've already gone through the content previously while taking your time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is there a way to get all the expansions for a reasonable amoutn of money or do you have to pay like $135 total for all this

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
There's no sub, so you really still pay as you go. It's a long rear end time before you're at later content.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The Mordor release date just got bumped back.

quote:

We are as excited as many of you to get into Mordor, but we have some unfortunate news: we have to adjust the release date. While preparing over the weekend to release the expansion on Monday, we discovered an issue in the build that impacted the ability of monsters and NPCs to move around correctly. This problem was specifically identified in older content.

While correcting this issue is not a problem, the process to correct it takes too long to be able to release Mordor on Monday. So, we have to adjust the release date. We will have more info on the release date soon. We will know a lot more in the next 24 hours or so, and will pass along the info as soon as we can.

Sev~

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I make bad good decisions so I've decided to add another mmo to my plate and give this a try. Any tips for someone just starting out?

I'd normally just read the new players guide from the email but the links in it don't work, and the OP doesn't really cover getting started.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 31, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
One does not simply release Mordor

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eopia posted:

I make bad good decisions so I've decided to add another mmo to my plate and give this a try. Any tips for someone just starting out?

I'd normally just read the new players guide from the email but the links in it don't work, and the OP doesn't really cover getting started.

Avoid the shire it's a hellhole.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

sassassin posted:

Counter-point: a lot of people love the Shire. It's Hobbit as gently caress. You do poo poo like delivering pies without being seen because other hobbits will eat them and you're too nice to tell them to gently caress off :3.

So either you really love that type of stuff, or you find it dumb and frustrating quests.

Eopia posted:

Go VIP for one month, and in that month, create all the characters you think you'll ever want. Going VIP even once unlocks some poo poo.

Barter wallet is a must-buy from the shop.

Other than that though, nothing really stands out to my old man memory. It's a typical bear-rear end MMO, and is best played by being chill and just enjoying the lore.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

After that goddam pie crust quest, I would still have my elves lead a scouring of the Shire.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like The Shire because it's pretty :kiddo:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Using the shire as your leveling spot early on is the best just for the fact that the pie and mail quests give you run speed buffs before you get a horse. You don't even need to complete them, just pick them up, run where you need to go, then drop the pie/bag.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Brave New World posted:

Have you seen what they're asking for the 2nd & 3rd tiers of the Mordor expansion? Yeah.

Even with the new screenshots and patch notes, previews, I really cannot defend or explain the $130 digital expansion pack for two ponies and two kites. The content itself looks good though, so I hope I'll see you in Mordor. Going to buy the $40 edition if I have time to play it, if class and a new job get in the way I'll be there in the update 22 club. And I agree with everyone on the forums, $80 for a new race is also stupid and it should be in the $40 edition. Still, I'm sitting on free points and prefer playing my dwarf anyway so high elves will be 'free' by winter.

The good news is the epic quest is of course free for everyone, Mordor is here tomorrow and here are the current patch notes.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7754794#post7754794

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Guild Wars 2 just announced a new expansion for next month. The most expensive package is $80 and comes with $50 worth of gems, a boost, a cosmetic set, and a couple other exclusives. Making LOTRO look silly.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Lotro servers are making GBS threads themselves. I wanted to hit thirty tonight :(

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I'm at work for another hour. Is this actually happening today?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
It happened, servers are back up (sort of)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I can't wait to check out Mordor, but it realistically won't be for a while yet.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Wow does the Mordor launch trailer make this game look awful. :(

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

lol at those fell beasts. Look like a bunch of naked seagulls lazily coming to steal your fries.

Wanna meet whoever put that together and said "yes, this is a good trailer. I am happy with this."

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

lol at those fell beasts. Look like a bunch of naked seagulls lazily coming to steal your fries.

Wanna meet whoever put that together and said "yes, this is a good trailer. I am happy with this."

I can appreciate that they wanted to use in-game footage but drat LOTRO's animations are showing their age.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Conskill posted:

I can appreciate that they wanted to use in-game footage but drat LOTRO's animations are showing their age.

They used slowed down shots of killing some creeps in the dark, zero shots of the allegiance system, the statues in Erebor, nothing from the epic quest, and nothing from the new 3/6 man content or the new raid. Just a poo poo trailer. Combine a poo poo trailer with all the gossip of the $130 dollar digital kites edition and what you have is a lot of old returning players and no new ones. The game still looks great to me, animations and all. It would have been better to not have a trailer than to put that thing on YouTube.

On a more positive note the house right out front of the entrance to the dwarf goon neighborhood Knotheim opened up, so post your character name if you're a new (or old) character without a house and I'll mail you the gold and any tips or decorations you might need.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 3, 2017

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Conskill posted:

It really shows that the developers can't afford the money to have something professionally edited or tested with a couple non lotro devs.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm happy I got into this game in its twilight years like a lusty old mistress the old timey gameplay mechanics touch the right notes with me

How long until servers come down forever?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Oh man oh man oh man I just got back into this game again and it's as lovely as I remember it :3: Chillest mmo on the market.
Had enough left over bucks to buy Beorning and it's been fun so far but those I play with keep telling me I'm better off just playing hunter or champion anyways if I wanna DPS :( I just wanna be a big bear damnit

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Be what you want. I'm playing a captain which apparently is like a crappier jack of all trades with a garbage pet and I love it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Every class can fairly trivially solo all landscape content on-level. Which class you play will affect how fast you can kill mobs and clear camps, and thus indirectly how fast you level. That said, the fun of this game is almost entirely in the journey and exploration IMHO; there's no real point in making a bee-line to max level. I like my hunter because it has a pretty mindless rotation and (more importantly) run speed buffs and fast-travel skills, but again it doesn't really matter. Play what you want.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
That poo poo trailer got me patching because I fear for the lifespan of this game so hey, trap sprung.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Burglars actually cannot trivially solo things on level everything is a bit of an effort for them, but on the other hand I love my burglar.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I recently started playing a burglar, and I like the burglar, but the burglar is probably the hardest class to play well. Like my main is a champ and I can absolutely not approach things the same way as my burg. I have to stealth, debuff my target, mezz any nearby targets, etc. It's a lot more work but drat if it doesn't feel so much better than just AOEing a bunch of poo poo.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

extra stout posted:

Even with the new screenshots and patch notes, previews, I really cannot defend or explain the $130 digital expansion pack for two ponies and two kites. The content itself looks good though, so I hope I'll see you in Mordor. Going to buy the $40 edition if I have time to play it, if class and a new job get in the way I'll be there in the update 22 club. And I agree with everyone on the forums, $80 for a new race is also stupid and it should be in the $40 edition. Still, I'm sitting on free points and prefer playing my dwarf anyway so high elves will be 'free' by winter.

The good news is the epic quest is of course free for everyone, Mordor is here tomorrow and here are the current patch notes.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7754794#post7754794

I'm seriously thinking of going the buy High Elves when they hit the store with picking up the $40 expansion than going with the other two options since I am sitting on enough funbux Out of everything listed with the $80 and $130 editions, the elves are the only thing that's really got my interest. As it is since I've decided to concentrate on one character at a time to get them out of derping around Bree, I've got plenty to do with my hunter for now with just doing the book quests and finally getting around to finishing off deeds.

Not looking forward to finishing off the mailbox quests in the Shire. Part of me hopes my elvish stealth'll work with knocking them out quick but knowing how much I hate the Shire and it hates me, it's not going to work.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm definitely buying everything once they're available for Turbine points or whatever they're called now

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jalapeno_dude posted:

Wow does the Mordor launch trailer make this game look awful. :(

lol holy poo poo someone at turbine isn't happy in their job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Slowly catching up on Gondor etc, and just did The Darkest Hour.

Ahahahaha nice. That redeems all of the messing around in Rohan.