Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm hype yall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The three bosses are: Mima, Shinki, and Genji the Turtle

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Just read your summary of the last chapter of FS Clarste. So two questions cause I'm a loving idiot

Kosuzu is a youkai now?

And Yukari's plot was that humans like Kosuzu can become youkai as long as they cause enough trouble that Reimu has to fight them because that preserves the divide between humans and youkai?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

A Sometimes Food posted:

Just read your summary of the last chapter of FS Clarste. So two questions cause I'm a loving idiot

Kosuzu is a youkai now?

And Yukari's plot was that humans like Kosuzu can become youkai as long as they cause enough trouble that Reimu has to fight them because that preserves the divide between humans and youkai?

I'm basing this off the non-Clarste translated chapter before this one and Clarste's description of the last chapter. To answer your first question, no, that's not what happened.

Kosuzu is fully human and always was. She was being possessed by the Night Parade Scroll, or rather the youkai or demon that was possessing the scroll. It sounds like Reimu has decided to bring Kosuzu in to the "secrets" of the side of Gensokyo that most villagers will never see. Before this point, Reimu and Marisa tried to keep Kosuzu out of danger, but Reimu has realized that the bookseller is too curious to stop herself. The possession incident just reaffirms all of this. As for Kosuzu's current status, I'd say she's a youkai-like human, like Marisa and Reimu herself.

As for Yukari's part in all of this-- you know what, I'm not even going to put this in spoilers. This has become more about my headcanon of Yukari's Gensokyo than about the chapter.

Yukari's goal in Gensokyo is balance. Yukari doesn't want Reimu to start exterminating youkai just because. Gensokyo was sealed away to preserve the existence of youkai. If Reimu, another Hakurei shrine maiden, or even just plain old humans start eliminating youkai completely, Gensokyo might as well become the Outside World.

For Yukari's perfect fantasy to exist, Youkai need a Humanity that can hold them in fear, awe, and wonder. But you actually need humans for that, and if the system was left to its own devices random youkai attacks would wear down what humans exist. That's why humans are meant to exterminate youkai. But if Humanity becomes too successful in exterminating youkai and too comfortable in its existence, they lose their wonder of the unknown and risk entering an inhuman mindset. That's what went wrong with the fortune teller way back when, and it's the fate Reimu feared would befall Kosuzu. It's a balance between being Human and Youkai, not just in Gensokyo but in certain individuals, too. The games and manga make it look like humans are no different than youkai, but we only see the interesting humans willing to go out and face the unknown. We don't see the boring everyday humans that huddle in the safety of their village because they fear what lies outside the walls.

In terms of this incident: Kosuzu might have lost some of the fear she's had before, but I don't think she'll lose the awe and wonder, and I doubt she's suddenly going to become a youkai. Most of Marisa's adventures begin with curiosity stemming from seeing something new, and no one's accusing her of being a youkai (more than usual). Yukari's role in this specific incident: She played on Reimu's habit of drinking with the people she was just fighting with. It caused Reimu to hesitate long enough for Yukari to escape. Yukari's goal in this was to get Reimu to see Kosuzu not as a threat to everything Gensokyo's meant to be, but as a personal enemy subject to Reimu's ways of friendship.*

*Ways that are very much like a certain laser-wielding Magical Girl.**
**No, I don't mean Marisa.***
***Where the hell did my life go wrong that I have to specify that?

Clarste, reading your Tumblr, I don't know where these people are coming from asking "Is this really the end of Forbidden Scrollery? Couldn't it continue?" As a series, FS was leading straight to what we just saw, and the story is obviously done now. And if I'm reading the end of your post right, I almost guarantee the next time we see Kosuzu it's going to be in a game.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 26, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wait is the new chapter translated or is there just summaries of it? I've been trying to look for it but I can't find anything.

Also, I had no idea Forbidden Scrollery was ending. Makes a lot of sense now that I think about it, but I must have missed whenever it was announced. What a good manga though. I'd say definitively the best touhou manga and maybe the best non-game official work. Hope Tasofro can manage to keep Harukawa around for the fighting game art at least, She's the best artist touhou has ever had.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kevos Setzer posted:

I'm basing this off the non-Clarste translated chapter before this one and Clarste's description of the last chapter. To answer your first question, no, that's not what happened.

Kosuzu is fully human and always was. She was being possessed by the Night Parade Scroll, or rather the youkai or demon that was possessing the scroll. It sounds like Reimu has decided to bring Kosuzu in to the "secrets" of the side of Gensokyo that most villagers will never see. Before this point, Reimu and Marisa tried to keep Kosuzu out of danger, but Reimu has realized that the bookseller is too curious to stop herself. The possession incident just reaffirms all of this. As for Kosuzu's current status, I'd say she's a youkai-like human, like Marisa and Reimu herself.

As for Yukari's part in all of this-- you know what, I'm not even going to put this in spoilers. This has become more about my headcanon of Yukari's Gensokyo than about the chapter.

Yukari's goal in Gensokyo is balance. Yukari doesn't want Reimu to start exterminating youkai just because. Gensokyo was sealed away to preserve the existence of youkai. If Reimu, another Hakurei shrine maiden, or even just plain old humans start eliminating youkai completely, Gensokyo might as well become the Outside World.

For Yukari's perfect fantasy to exist, Youkai need a Humanity that can hold them in fear, awe, and wonder. But you actually need humans for that, and if the system was left to its own devices random youkai attacks would wear down what humans exist. That's why humans are meant to exterminate youkai. But if Humanity becomes too successful in exterminating youkai and too comfortable in its existence, they lose their wonder of the unknown and risk entering an inhuman mindset. That's what went wrong with the fortune teller way back when, and it's the fate Reimu feared would befall Kosuzu. It's a balance between being Human and Youkai, not just in Gensokyo but in certain individuals, too. The games and manga make it look like humans are no different than youkai, but we only see the interesting humans willing to go out and face the unknown. We don't see the boring everyday humans that huddle in the safety of their village because they fear what lies outside the walls.

In terms of this incident: Kosuzu might have lost some of the fear she's had before, but I don't think she'll lose the awe and wonder, and I doubt she's suddenly going to become a youkai. Most of Marisa's adventures begin with curiosity stemming from seeing something new, and no one's accusing her of being a youkai (more than usual). Yukari's role in this specific incident: She played on Reimu's habit of drinking with the people she was just fighting with. It caused Reimu to hesitate long enough for Yukari to escape. Yukari's goal in this was to get Reimu to see Kosuzu not as a threat to everything Gensokyo's meant to be, but as a personal enemy subject to Reimu's ways of friendship.*

*Ways that are very much like a certain laser-wielding Magical Girl.**
**No, I don't mean Marisa.***
***Where the hell did my life go wrong that I have to specify that?

Clarste, reading your Tumblr, I don't know where these people are coming from asking "Is this really the end of Forbidden Scrollery? Couldn't it continue?" As a series, FS was leading straight to what we just saw, and the story is obviously done now. And if I'm reading the end of your post right, I almost guarantee the next time we see Kosuzu it's going to be in a game.

Ah cheers.

I got thrown off by the bit in the summary where Yukari's motives are explained. Didn't see the bit where Clarste had "possessed" there and was curious cause missing that it looked like Kosuzu might have transformed. Though Yukari's plot does open the door for someone becoming a youkai in the future without Reimu exterminating them. Wonder if that'll ever come up.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kevos Setzer posted:

Man, I thought all that happened on there was people arguing with him about Lunarians.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

As sad as I am to see Forbidden Scrollery end, I look forward to what Harukawa's going to do in the future now that she no longer has to draw someone else's manga.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Finished eh? Ah well. I guess Moe can work full time on her own series now though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

As sad as I am to see Forbidden Scrollery end, I look forward to what Harukawa's going to do in the future now that she no longer has to draw someone else's manga.

She's already been doing her own manga since the beginning of this year

https://web-ace.jp/compace/contents/199/

It's about lawyers

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait is the new chapter translated or is there just summaries of it? I've been trying to look for it but I can't find anything.

Also, I had no idea Forbidden Scrollery was ending. Makes a lot of sense now that I think about it, but I must have missed whenever it was announced. What a good manga though. I'd say definitively the best touhou manga and maybe the best non-game official work. Hope Tasofro can manage to keep Harukawa around for the fighting game art at least, She's the best artist touhou has ever had.

I wrote a summary of it here. It wasn't really announced that it was ending either, the latest chapter just came out and said "final chapter" on the table of contents.

El Burbo posted:

She's already been doing her own manga since the beginning of this year

https://web-ace.jp/compace/contents/199/

It's about lawyers

Didn't she start it last year? I recall reading the first couple chapters in Comp Ace, and then it disappeared. I got the impression that doing two comics at once was burning her out though. I guess if we're lucky she'll continue to work with Tasofro at least.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 26, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Clarste posted:

Didn't she start it last year? I recall reading the first couple chapters in Comp Ace, and then it disappeared. I got the impression that doing two comics at once was burning her out though. I guess if we're lucky she'll continue to work with Tasofro at least.

Mm, right. The volume was released in January but the series started earlier. Didn't realize it was hiatused though

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Awww I'll miss the hell out of Kosuzu

More room for even more 3 fairies though...

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I wrote a summary of it here. It wasn't really announced that it was ending either, the latest chapter just came out and said "final chapter" on the table of contents.
That's a very ZUN-like way of ending something.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The three bosses are: Mima

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Finally, the Ran manga can start.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Visionary Fairies in Shrine 07 In which some something Star.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I also often ask "Where's Piece?"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Reimu's like the Tanabata grinch.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Related: the three figures that come with the special edition of VFiS were shown

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
If anyone wants them, I can help arrange a preorder.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I was gonna make a joke about Luna's hard-hitting commentary on capitalism early on when talking about shrine donations but then the entire chapter was about exploitative labor conditions.

Getting the feeling that as a practically self-employed man ZUN doesn't think too highly of corporate culture.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Luna is a good fairy.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

I was gonna make a joke about Luna's hard-hitting commentary on capitalism early on when talking about shrine donations but then the entire chapter was about exploitative labor conditions.

Getting the feeling that as a practically self-employed man ZUN doesn't think too highly of corporate culture.
I don't think anybody who's worked in the games industry could.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Q: What brand of beer do they drink in Mexican Gensokyo?

A:

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Some non-Blitzblast guy is LPing a pretty good game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828853

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Now that FS is over there's room for a new manga that's all about Aunn at the shrine while Reimu's off solving incidents or whatever.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Now that FS is over there's room for a new manga that's all about Aunn at the shrine while Reimu's off solving incidents or whatever.

Aunn and Kyouko being bestest buds.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Q: What brand of beer do they drink in Mexican Gensokyo?

A:

A month late but still good
https://twitter.com/mefomefomefo/status/882193890752815104

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SirSlarty posted:

Aunn and Kyouko being bestest buds.

Aunn, Kyouko, and Kogasa set out to find the truth behind the legend of the trapped ghost in the Hakurei shrine

you know who it is

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The ghost of dead Genji

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

The ghost of purple-haired Reimu

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

el dorito posted:

Aunn, Kyouko, and Kogasa set out to find the truth behind the legend of the trapped ghost in the Hakurei shrine

you know who it is

but why would Yuyuko get trapped if there's no food involved?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
They find the trees that the three faries are living in?

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
It's Mimi-chan.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Star is such a pure girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010