Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crimpolioni posted:

Why do people have such trouble with this? Without knowing the circumstances , everything about the way it happened makes Jaime look like a cowardly opportunist. That's what people mock him for. Ned even points it out during season 1. 'You served him well... While serving was safe.'

And even if the circumstances were always known, he would still be an oathbreaker. The point of the Kingsguard is they protect whoever sits the throne, crazy or otherwise. It's better to follow Aerys' orders and do whatever crazy thing he wants than to stab him in the back.

Like, if Jaime let Aerys blow KL and somehow survived it, he would still have a better reputation than what he got for saving the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dumb question...why are there chains hanging off all the book shelves in the libraries?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The "Tyrion's strategy accidentally fucks up Danerys" plot device COULD work in the books where Tyrion has been reduced to a ball of hate and spite and he is just advising Danerys on how to use her army for his own personal gain. He is just blinded with reclaiming what he sees as rightfully his and been petty wanting to give Cersei the middle finger.

But showTyrion is a goodydogood who didn't reach for the knife first or cook people into soup, so the whole thing is dumb and if the season spoilers are true it will even amount to a bunch of nothing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Dumb question...why are there chains hanging off all the book shelves in the libraries?

Presumably because there are hooks on some of the books meaning you can lock them into the shelves. I think monks used to do this when bound books were very rare and expensive. Most likely in GoT it is because it looks cool or whatever though.

e: I actually think in olden irl times you had to read the book at the actual shelf and they didn't come off. Basically you couldn't steal the book or remove it from the library.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 26, 2017

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

JBP posted:

Presumably because there are hooks on some of the books meaning you can lock them into the shelves. I think monks used to do this when bound books were very rare and expensive. Most likely in GoT it is because it looks cool or whatever though.

e: I actually think in olden irl times you had to read the book at the actual shelf and they didn't come off. Basically you couldn't steal the book or remove it from the library.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chained_library

Of course this is never actually shown and Sam steals books from the library without unchaining them so its a wasted completely wasted thematic element

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 26, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
So in this season Davos is going to find Gendry in KL, where he is working as blacksmith again (keep in mind that Cersei wants him killed) and has him row his boat back to Dragonstone - where not only Mel is hanging out, who might want to burn him, but also a certain Dragon queen, who might want to burn him because he is the son of the usurper who killed her brother.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

i81icu812 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chained_library

Of course this is never actually shown and Sam steals books from the library without unchaining them so its a wasted completely wasted thematic element

Yeah it's just there to look cooOOooOOool like every other tokenistic poo poo in the show.

GaussianCopula posted:

So in this season Davos is going to find Gendry in KL, where he is working as blacksmith again (keep in mind that Cersei wants him killed) and has him row his boat back to Dragonstone - where not only Mel is hanging out, who might want to burn him, but also a certain Dragon queen, who might want to burn him because he is the son of the usurper who killed her brother.

When Dany has her mental breakdown it's going to be Snow and Gendry trying to defeat her I reckon. The end of the show is probably going to be Dany taking advantage of banging Snow and then killing him for the throne or some poo poo. I feel like they'll deal with the zombies then go back to squabbling and the magnificent game of throne will continue forever. What a thematically fitting conclusion. Well played DD.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 26, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

GaussianCopula posted:

So in this season Davos is going to find Gendry in KL, where he is working as blacksmith again (keep in mind that Cersei wants him killed)

In the books.

In the show the bastard massacre happened at a time where the show felt it had to justify Joffrey's imminent death to the audience so everything bad and wrong that happened between season 1 and 4 was Joffrey's fault.

Bastard massacre? Joffrey

Royal Guard trying to kill Tyrion? Joffrey

Lord Commander gets killed? Ok, that was Karl the fookin legend...but Joffrey probably sent him to the wall

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 26, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

lezard_valeth posted:

The "Tyrion's strategy accidentally fucks up Danerys" plot device COULD work in the books where Tyrion has been reduced to a ball of hate and spite and he is just advising Danerys on how to use her army for his own personal gain. He is just blinded with reclaiming what he sees as rightfully his and been petty wanting to give Cersei the middle finger.

But showTyrion is a goodydogood who didn't reach for the knife first or cook people into soup, so the whole thing is dumb and if the season spoilers are true it will even amount to a bunch of nothing.

This is pretty much the cardinal sin of this season though, pointless poo poo happens because otherwise this season only has enough critical plot elements to last two episodes.

We get 15 minutes of Dany and Jon going "summon him, but I'm the queen" and "I'll go, but I'll be wary" where the episode could have easily started with Jon already being on Dragonstone cause where the gently caress else he's gonna go?

So of course Tyrion has to come up with a lovely plan that makes no logistical sense and relies upon westeros being riddled with wormholes cause otherwise we'd just get to the point where King's Landing is besieged but OH NO THERE COME THE OTHERS and everyone is forced into an uneasy truce.

And entire season of grinding the wheels. It took Arya three scenes to decide she's going to Winterfell even though it would have made the most sense for her to head there right after she finished at the twins.

Bah.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The show isn't the same without Joffrey trying to kill everyone and snarling at women while he threatens to crossbow them. Dude was actually scary.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Jack Gleeson was so good as Joffrey.

One of the problems I have with the show is that they've killed off too many good actors. The few good ones left don't get to interact with each other enough and are wasted on badly written scenes with poo poo actors.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That point is well taken. So many of the remaining actors are just bad

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Kingslayer or no, Cersei just blew up the super popular religion's holy site and killed a bunch of nobles including the queen (who may still be beloved by the people? I dunno, she was publicly accused of a bunch of poo poo.)

That's underselling it. She killed her own son the King (or at least that's what everyone will assume), the extremely popular Queen, tons of noblemen including her own uncle and cousin, the also extremely popular High Septon and dozens of bystanders.

There's no loving way she'd have any support after commiting mass murder in a power grab, she'd get torn apart. The Mad King did way less and yet she's still comparing Dany to him with a straight face.

It's nonsense.

Elman fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 26, 2017

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Vegetable posted:

That point is well taken. So many of the remaining actors are just bad

I think there's still plenty of good actors left but most of them are secondary characters who have to support bad/non-charismatic actors, plus they also have to deal with really poor writing/no direction.

Tyrion's a good example. Dinklage is a great actor but has had barely any material to work with since Tywin's death. Being assimilated into Dany's storyline means giving Clarke the spotlight and she is not a good actress.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah this show has gotten unlucky with its casting decisions as the two of the biggest misfires are Dany and Jon, and whoops they'll be the incestuous power couple that carries the show from here to the finale.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

There's a lot of good actors left, but no real great ones and enough terrible ones to bring the whole average down.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I think Clarke is good but she's playing an obnoxious character. Who also is de facto the main character now. Ugh.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Clarke is by far the worst actor on the show, possibly the worst actor ever, and has single handedly made me hate women.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

Clarke is by far the worst actor on the show, possibly the worst actor ever, and has single handedly made me hate women.

I wouldn't go quite that far but you're definitely right about her being the worst actor who ever lived.

Fun fact: They shot the pilot with someone else in that role, so Emilia Clarke is better than at least one person at acting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm loath to reply to captain fascism but I don't really see why Gendry matters now.

The Baratheons are dead and barely mattered in the show anyway. I doubt most people even remember who Robert was at this point. Just forget Gendry because he's a complete dead end for the story the show is telling.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

IncendiaC posted:

I think there's still plenty of good actors left but most of them are secondary characters who have to support bad/non-charismatic actors, plus they also have to deal with really poor writing/no direction.

Tyrion's a good example. Dinklage is a great actor but has had barely any material to work with since Tywin's death. Being assimilated into Dany's storyline means giving Clarke the spotlight and she is not a good actress.

Dinklage isn't that good in this show. He has mostly been pretty middling right from the start, his accent sucks, and it feels to me like they cut his role down from the books because he has been phoning it in so hard.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Sandsnakes are far worse than Clarke. Sorry, not sorry.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BigglesSWE posted:

I think Clarke is good but she's playing an obnoxious character. Who also is de facto the main character now. Ugh.

the show hasn't had a defacto main character since like season 1??

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Its possible that we are seeing a Star Wars prequel effect where otherwise good actors are simply being giving nothing to work with.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

BigglesSWE posted:

Sandsnakes are far worse than Clarke. Sorry, not sorry.

I think the writing and direction was just unsalvageable, as well as having to use that horrible fake accent.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

the show hasn't had a defacto main character since like season 1??

To me it's been kinda obvious that it's been a tug of war between Jon and Dany since at least season 5, possibly earlier.

Like, the whole "anyone can die at any time" doesn't really apply, hasn't done since the Red Wedding I think. They've spent so much time with her farting around in the desert that she'll obviously be a major part of the final showdown. I HOPE she'll end up being completely mad by that point (would make her interesting again) but I'm having doubts they'll commit to that.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 26, 2017

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

The pacing this season is what's really bothering me more than anything else. I feel like certain things are moving slowly while others just happen because the plot demands it and they've got a checklist of poo poo to do before the series is through.

Someone mentioned that HBO had to essentially beg D&D to maintain their positions on the show -- even while acknowledging them as being its "creators," why are they so valuable, especially if a lot of fans have noticed a decline in quality? I find it hard to believe HBO couldn't find suitable replacements if they wished it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

IncendiaC posted:

Also, the writing as been so uninspired that even the great actors cant do much with it.

Maybe is the direction too , idk, but last episode, even legitimate good actors like Diana Rigg sounded like they were just reading their lines from a paper

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oliver Reed posted:

The pacing this season is what's really bothering me more than anything else. I feel like certain things are moving slowly while others just happen because the plot demands it and they've got a checklist of poo poo to do before the series is through.

Someone mentioned that HBO had to essentially beg D&D to maintain their positions on the show -- even while acknowledging them as being its "creators," why are they so valuable, especially if a lot of fans have noticed a decline in quality? I find it hard to believe HBO couldn't find suitable replacements if they wished it.

We may complain about it here but upwards of 10 million people still watch every episode of the show, with all its problems. If they leave the showrunners in place and the mediocre level of quality is maintained, those 10 million people will still tune in. But they change showrunners and the show is still bad, now it's a disaster because now the new guys ruined the show. It would also probably be really bad publicity to get rid of D&D in the home stretch like this and would give the impression that HBO doesn't know what it's doing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The real calamity is that they keep choosing to retain the shitheel directors instead of good ones

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

also a master strategy from tyrion to split your forces to take Casterly Rock because it will totes piss off Cersei :downs:

Cersei's position in King's Landing is weak and taking her seat away will make her look even weaker.

One of the reasons Robb lost the WOT5K was that he was forced to march back north instead of doing any more campaigning in the south after the Ironborn took Winterfell. Losing your seat is a great way for people to call you an illegitimate ruler.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It'll put her in an interesting position of either having to commit forces to a piece of land she knows is materially worthless due to the mines running dry, or admitting that it's a worthless empty mine now which will weaken her anyway. The best part about that is Tyrion has no idea this is the case.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The plan is still dumb because Dany has the strength and resources to just storm KL and finish the war anytime she want, is just that she finds more humanitarian to just siege and starve all the population to death instead

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Vegetable posted:

The real calamity is that they keep choosing to retain the shitheel directors instead of good ones

Actually, this is a great point. I'm not sure how many directors they've used throughout the series thus far but didn't shows like The Sopranos and The Wire basically utilize the same dozen directors all the way through?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

One of the reasons Robb lost the WOT5K was that he was forced to march back north instead of doing any more campaigning in the south after the Ironborn took Winterfell. Losing your seat is a great way for people to call you an illegitimate ruler.

Actually, Robb was literally on his way to attack Casterly Rock when he decided to stop at The Twins for a wedding.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WampaLord posted:

Actually, Robb was literally on his way to attack Casterly Rock when he decided to stop at The Twins for a wedding.

Robb was planning on marching north in the book, but in the show it's practically the same, since both actions were primarily motivated by Robb losing Winterfell (which started the whole "King who lost the North" thing)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Oliver Reed posted:

Actually, this is a great point. I'm not sure how many directors they've used throughout the series thus far but didn't shows like The Sopranos and The Wire basically utilize the same dozen directors all the way through?

Working on GoT is probably far more demanding than working on the sopranos, you have locations in 2-3 different countries, several film crews, CGI, etc etc. I think a higher turnover is to be expected.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Elman posted:

That's underselling it. She killed her own son the King (or at least that's what everyone will assume), the extremely popular Queen, tons of noblemen including her own uncle and cousin, the also extremely popular High Septon and dozens of bystanders.

There's no loving way she'd have any support after commiting mass murder in a power grab, she'd get torn apart. The Mad King did way less and yet she's still comparing Dany to him with a straight face.

It's nonsense.

they could've had one entire line with cersei directing her staff to spread the word that the dragonfire stash below the sept was due to the sparrows who moved it there and angered the seven and it exploded. the nobility might not buy it but the smallfolk might. it'd at least explain her not being killed by a mob

also the biggest problem with the fleet stuff is that in the books there aren't opposing fleets - once Dany gets a beachhead fleets don't matter , they just enable faster travel. and since travel time in this show is irrelevant, who cares if euron rules the sea in opposition to or in support of her

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Cersei's position in King's Landing is weak and taking her seat away will make her look even weaker.

Her seat, as Queen of the seven kingdoms, is Kings Landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

She's also the head of House Lannister and losing the ancestral home of your family is a big blow to anyone. I don't see how this is hard to follow. Dany's plan is idiotic because she doesn't need to gently caress around dealing symbolic blows, she could just wipe out her enemies with dragonfire and have done, not because there's anything innately wrong with the idea that losing Casterly Rock would hurt the Lannisters. It's like punching a guy in the nose when you have a gun to his head.

• Locked thread