Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
amazing puppet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A good piece of Ex-Aid fanart:

https://twitter.com/azkn1139/status/889145176899309568

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
SPD Krueger sucks because he's a whiny generic guy with a generic vendetta instead of a badass authority figure. That was one of my problems with SPD in general; I really like all the cop stuff in Dekaranger, so the generic space cadet setup or whatever that they use instead puts me to sleep. With Time Force it at least maintains the time travelling gimmick, even if they replace the weird fat crime boss alien with a generic supervillain.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My opinion was the exact opposite. My main issue with Dekaranger was that Abarella's whole plot had no connection to the rangers, no goal beyond making money, and that the rangers themselves had little direct connection to the events happening around them outside of a few episodes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

OnimaruXLR posted:

SPD Krueger sucks because he's a whiny generic guy with a generic vendetta instead of a badass authority figure. That was one of my problems with SPD in general; I really like all the cop stuff in Dekaranger, so the generic space cadet setup or whatever that they use instead puts me to sleep. With Time Force it at least maintains the time travelling gimmick, even if they replace the weird fat crime boss alien with a generic supervillain.

Gonna have to disagree with that one. In this thread we have Opinions! TimeRanger's Don Dolnero was way more generic than Ransik. It's like the opposite of SPD, where Kruger became the generic vendetta dude, Time Force's Ransik ended up being way more interesting. He had like a legit grievance with mankind, and underwent at least some kind of character arc with regards to being a decent father.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:yeah:

Ransik is still my favorite PR villain aside from MAYBE Zedd.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

A good piece of Ex-Aid fanart:
High Quality. :perfect: That was a great moment.

Motto posted:

Ex-Aid 40:

When I started this series, I sure didn't expect it to lead to Emu instilling a debilitating existential crisis into his alter-ego. All of Parad's stuff was pretty dang cool, especially the co-op fight.

Masamune escaping defeat by just resetting the series to before Emu got his ridiculous final upgrade was also neat, though with ex-aid in particular I wonder how they're gonna give it more weight since they could just lock dan in a broom closet for a few days to make a new one.

I'm really surprised how much Ex-Aid has stepped up its game over the course of the series. If I'd been watching week by week I probably would've dropped out pretty early on, but it's gone some pretty neat places ever since Dan's stuff kicked into gear and the more rote MotW stuff fell by the wayside. Looking back it's kinda funny how many patients of the week in the Rider Chronicle arc appear for about a scene or two before getting cured partway through a fight then disappearing.
Right? I feel like it really upped its game around 12 and has just been getting progressively better since then. If it doesn't completely botch the ending somehow, it's definitely taking a spot in my top 5.

40: That Parad breakdown on the roof was so good. Agreed on how good the development was too, I would never have expected bumbling episode 1 Emu to ever traumatize his enemy to make them an ally. The fight was just outstanding too, I laughed aloud (in a "That is so loving cool" way) when Para-DX split apart and took control of Cronus' power-ups, I have no idea how I never saw that coming.

As for the Reset, it took Dan quite a while to complete it so I guess it would be less the tension of how they get it back and more what will Cronus be able to do to them before it's complete. Though of course I don't think he'll actually make a new one, they'll find a way to un-reset or something and get it back, but if they did I have faith ExAid would make it work. Also, gotta show some love for that opening scene with Cronus singing about himself basically, what a dick.

EDIT: I also hope they don't make this Johnny Maxima guy the final boss or something, he has kind of come out of nowhere, though his role isn't completely inexplicable. I just have no idea what his part in the plot will be.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

EDIT: I also hope they don't make this Johnny Maxima guy the final boss or something, he has kind of come out of nowhere, though his role isn't completely inexplicable. I just have no idea what his part in the plot will be.

On that, we know from ads and such he's Gamdeus's human form in the movie at least. So it's either a tie-in to the movie or something else involving Gamdeus.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

I was talking more about the suit design than the character but yeah, basically this. I like Dekaranger well enough but it's really episodic and Abrella didn't really have much of a connection with the team considering he was more of an arms dealer than he was a conqueror (hell, the only reason he went after the rangers at the end was because he was pissed at them for constantly breaking his stuff).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 24, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

catching up on ex-aid, am i forgetting about something or is the whole 'emu can't use the gamer driver without parad around' drama kinda undercut by there being that special surgery people can undergo to use the gamer driver and emu was the odd one out in not needing it

i haven't seen 40 yet but the preview showed him fighting and i'm not expecting parad to be for reals dead but still, it feels sloppy that none of the characters mentioned that

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Well those were some interesting tidbits about Ho-oh Soldier as well as the world

He's been asleep for 300 years after beating the Don, being the first President of the Space Federation, the First Human to go beyond the Moon and the first to get a KyuTama.

I'm not sure whether to be appalled or amazed at how special he is.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

catching up on ex-aid, am i forgetting about something or is the whole 'emu can't use the gamer driver without parad around' drama kinda undercut by there being that special surgery people can undergo to use the gamer driver and emu was the odd one out in not needing it

i haven't seen 40 yet but the preview showed him fighting and i'm not expecting parad to be for reals dead but still, it feels sloppy that none of the characters mentioned that

even if they had the time to do that, he wouldn't be able to use hyper muteki

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Motto posted:

even if they had the time to do that, he wouldn't be able to use hyper muteki

see this is where i feel like i'm forgetting a detail somewhere, why couldn't he use hyper muteki anymore if they did that?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

see this is where i feel like i'm forgetting a detail somewhere, why couldn't he use hyper muteki anymore if they did that?

he needs M's (parad's) power, which is why he couldn't use muteki in the first place before injecting himself to regain it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Motto posted:

he needs M's (parad's) power, which is why he couldn't use muteki in the first place before injecting himself to regain it

ohhh right i remember that now, thank you

gently caress this is why watching a serialized toku week-to-week is for scrubs

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

Well those were some interesting tidbits about Ho-oh Soldier as well as the world

He's been asleep for 300 years after beating the Don, being the first President of the Space Federation, the First Human to go beyond the Moon and the first to get a KyuTama.

I'm not sure whether to be appalled or amazed at how special he is.

I felt a bit annoyed, honestly. I was hoping it was all bullshit, but nope, he's really the bestest ever and history is faked so we don't know he's the bestest ever ever. Holy moly!

I really want someone to just beat him up already. He's unlikable.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I thought there was no Kyuuranger this or next week.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

I thought there was no Kyuuranger this or next week.

Just last week, I thought. I like my Kyurangers, don't preempt my Kyurangers.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I felt a bit annoyed, honestly. I was hoping it was all bullshit, but nope, he's really the bestest ever and history is faked so we don't know he's the bestest ever ever. Holy moly!

I really want someone to just beat him up already. He's unlikable.

That is a whole lot to fake though, it's possible it's not all true? But it likely is. There being absolutely no record of him, even among the Rebellion, is a little much. I would like to know what went down 300 years ago though.

That said I'm fine with him for now. He's got more catchphrases than Lucky, but I love the way he talks. Oresama this, Sunawachi that, nantekotta. It's just fun to listen to haha.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm sure Phoenix Soldier is on the fast track for a valuable lesson about Nakama or whatever. He looks like he's on a similar arc to DekaBreak.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I finally forced myself through the end of Ghost (and gave up on the supplementary stuff like the Alain chronicles and what not) I'm finally ready to start Ex-Aid!

I haven't been mousing over spoiler bars and whatnot...but this season is generally accepted as better than Ghost, right?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I finally forced myself through the end of Ghost (and gave up on the supplementary stuff like the Alain chronicles and what not) I'm finally ready to start Ex-Aid!

I haven't been mousing over spoiler bars and whatnot...but this season is generally accepted as better than Ghost, right?

Most things not called Wizard are

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Oh yeah, much better
Early toy shill episodes are a little rough but it gets good and consistently surprising, unlike ghost.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly the only real issue I have with early Ex-Aid is that the way certain characters act for most of the first half of the show while it kinda makes sense by their characters and the plot during those parts, it also gets really old, really fast

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Finished the first episode...I'm getting Drive flashbacks, just with doctors instead of cops

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Ex-Aid will test your patience around episode 11-12 but you need to stick past it because it's one of the best Kamen Riders in recent memories. It is entirely possible it's going to end stronger then Drive did.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Build plot summaries hitting twitter.

https://twitter.com/_Erasu/status/889941012960948225

Staff too.

https://twitter.com/Peachyest_/status/889939449899102213

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I don't know who those people are but his suit looks dope

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's incredibly good and I haven't said that about an initial rider reveal in a while

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The director is a Rider regular but a quick Google tells me that the writer has done some dramas and a few movies.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Here's a better-translated version of that first Tweet.

Sounds like it'll be a smart series.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

we thought we were getting a buff boy rider but instead we're getting a fuckin nerd

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So it's a post apocalyptic series hell yeah

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Nerd superheroes own.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The writer was responsible for Densha Otoko, and the Director has done most of my favorite shows, so I am decidedly hype. And that's without getting into the incredibly good suit.

jivjov posted:

Ghost was garbage, but I actually did like the Heroic Legend of Alain. It was short, but cute, and Necrom actually got to do some stuff unlike the second half of the show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SpecialForm12/status/889943983102808064

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I feel it's worth noting the head writer was the head writer for Densha Otoko the TV series, not the movie. Honestly I think the TV show is better, so this works out fine by me.

Ryuta Tasaki directing yet another Rider show is pretty much non-news at this point. Basically if you liked the overall directing on most recent TV Riders, that's what the show will be like :shrug:

Hope the guy who directed the last two eps of Ex-Aid returns, those had pretty cool scenes.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 26, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tasaki directed Drive and Ex-Aid, but not Ghost. The Build hype keeps on... Increasing.

I never saw the Otoko movie and always forget there was one, but I am glad to have it confirmed it was the Series guy. Loved that show.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Most things not called Wizard are

Wizard was nowhere near as boring as ghost

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Toku Thread V3: Kamen Rider is good again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Elfgames posted:

Wizard was nowhere near as boring as ghost

Wrong

• Locked thread