Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I need to get my weed wacker fixed too anyway.

i need to stop buying ones so cheap that getting a new one is only $15 more than replacing the spool of line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So I had this really ugly picture rail with bead board deal on one wall in my kitchen. Curiosity finally killed the cat today and I ripped it off. This is what I found under, kind of slopes and the bottom white drywall or whatever it is, is about 1/8 of an inch raised. Seems like the right move would just be to cut all of this out and put up new drywall, because the effort of leveling all that and putting skim coat on it would probably be ridiculous. Is my head in the right place?

Also bonus buried junction box with wires I'll assume are live.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The Dave posted:

wires I'll assume are live

you have no idea how badly i wish i could rename forums

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

you have no idea how badly i wish i could rename forums

This needs to be run up the chain of command.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Motronic posted:

This needs to be run up the chain of command.

i think you vastly overestimate the organizational structure here

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

The Dave posted:

the bottom white drywall or whatever it is, is about 1/8 of an inch raised. Seems like the right move would just be to cut all of this out and put up new drywall, because the effort of leveling all that and putting skim coat on it would probably be ridiculous. Is my head in the right place?

I just ran through this while gutting my kitchen - found more than 1/4" of mud applied to the drywall, for near as I can tell no goddamned reason. (I also found leveling strips stapled on to the high studs, to help create a bigger void at the low studs :v: ) I farted around for a while pretending I was going to hang the new drywall and just blend these weird edges out over a long distance. Finally came to my senses and ripped all of that crap down. Way easier to start fresh.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

So this is what the underside looks like. I have no experience with these, so I have no idea if the noise heard previously was from what are obviously damaged blades, or if I should be worried about the other parts as well:

edit for update: I replaced the blades. The tractor still sounds exactly the same (damaged.) There is a lawnmower repair place near me, so I'll take the deck over there and have it looked at professionally. I need to get my weed wacker fixed too anyway.

Do the blades spin freely when you turn them by hand? A common issue I've experienced with such decks is that the belt connecting the two blades (under a cover on top of the deck) is not that tight, so when a blade hits a hard object that blade alone will rotate a bit on the belt without the other blade moving along, many times this will make the blades collide and you will have to loosen the belt and adjust the two knives to no longer meeting when rotating.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eddiewalker posted:

LEDs will put out tremendously less heat. I used to have two incandescent cans at my bathroom vanity and they felt like the outdoor sun. LEDs put out no noticeable heat in the same place.

Home Depot's pseudo house brand Ecosmart stuff has dimmed well with all of the Linear z-wave dimmers I've got, and they're cheap. I like the ones with integrated trim rings because they update the look of the whole fixture in one go. HD has been great about letting me return open packages of bulbs advertised as "dimmable" that end up flickering.

I installed the Ecosmart BD30 bulbs, and they really help, thanks! They buzz though, which is due to the fact that they have a non-LED dimmer, right? You mentioned Linear Z-wave dimmers:

https://www.amazon.com/Linear-WD500...r+z-wave+dimmer

That's it right?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I installed the Ecosmart BD30 bulbs, and they really help, thanks! They buzz though, which is due to the fact that they have a non-LED dimmer, right? You mentioned Linear Z-wave dimmers:

https://www.amazon.com/Linear-WD500...r+z-wave+dimmer

That's it right?

Those are, imo, the best z-wave dimmers available if you have a neutral available in your switch box. The non-dimming and 3way versions are great too. There are a few other brands advertised as "no neutral needed" that operate their RF circuitry by leeching a small current through the light bulb filament. That doesn't work with LEDs.

YMMV on the bulbs. I've got one of those dimmers controlling a bank of 6 of the Ecosmart trimmed recessed bulbs and its great. No hum or flicker. I just set a 20% minimum dim threshold in the zwave controller.

On the other hand, I had some of the ecosmart "standard shape" 60w-equivalents that would not dim at all. I'm sure they're just slapping a label on whatever they can source cheap, but the HD return policy is painless.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody dabbled in making stuff out of metal studs? I'm doing an experiment with them to see if I can hold up a big grill for an outdoor kitchen. I got the most basic frame together and it's kind of rickety. In truth, I would have this problem with pressure-treated pine at this point. However, I'm wondering if there is special consideration I should give towards how to being to reinforce it. It looks like I should try to use the wide part of the metal stud for structure.

Yes, I do know I need to spray down all the bits I cut and drill with a galvanizing paint. That being said, do I have to do that in detail with it disassembled or can I get the benefits zapping the exposed bits as I have them screwed together.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

The Dave posted:

Seems like the right move would just be to cut all of this out and put up new drywall, because the effort of leveling all that and putting skim coat on it would probably be ridiculous. Is my head in the right place?

I would do the same, remove and then put up new drywall. Of course removing it exposes the risk that you'll just uncover more horror.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My riding mower won’t start. It’s a John Deere LA115 and has a 19.5 Briggs and Stratton engine. It tries to crank but won’t fully fire off. So far I have replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the fuel bowl in the carb, charged the battery. It is definitely getting fuel, I pulled the line off to verify it was flowing. Fuel bowl was not very dirty. Gas should be fine, mower ran fine last week when I mowed. As a little background, as long as. I have had the mower it would not restart if it was turned off at operating temperature. On a cold start it would puff a little white smoke but started fine. I bought a new spark plug but broke it off somehow putting it in so the old one is back in there, but it did not look fouled. I did use a spark plug wire test light and it’s at least getting spark to the plug itself. Beyond the spark plug what else could it be?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rubiks Pubes posted:

My riding mower won’t start. It’s a John Deere LA115 and has a 19.5 Briggs and Stratton engine. It tries to crank but won’t fully fire off. So far I have replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the fuel bowl in the carb, charged the battery. It is definitely getting fuel, I pulled the line off to verify it was flowing. Fuel bowl was not very dirty. Gas should be fine, mower ran fine last week when I mowed. As a little background, as long as. I have had the mower it would not restart if it was turned off at operating temperature. On a cold start it would puff a little white smoke but started fine. I bought a new spark plug but broke it off somehow putting it in so the old one is back in there, but it did not look fouled. I did use a spark plug wire test light and it’s at least getting spark to the plug itself. Beyond the spark plug what else could it be?

You may have better luck in this AI thread. In related news my 10 year old mower deck came in 3 different "spindle" designs and I bought the wrong belt FUCKKKKK

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Talking about the floor around the toilet, again. I don't have a picture/diagram to upload at the moment, but here's the rough idea:

The cut out piece of floor is about 32" long by 22" deep (from edge of remaining floor on the 'wall side').
Under the 32" run there are three joists which are Joist 1 (15 space") Joist 2 (14 space") Joist 3.
Between Joist 2 and 3 is the flange, center flange is just about 11" from edge of wall-side floor and about 5" from joist 3.

Intially I cut my plywood to two lengthwise cuts of about 32x8" and 32"x14" to be able to slide my plywood in beneath the flange and because I figured it was better to have two planks running over three joists each with edge support, but I still have to put in some sort of reinforcement along the seam where the the two pieces meet around the flange to keep that strong. I've already put in a 2x4 box inside the joists on Joist 2 and 3 for edge support.

But before I go much further, I've been wondering if I should be doing this a different way before I put in my edge support between joists 1 and 2. I'll need to put in three spaced at about 0"-15"-22" to support all four edges of the two pieces of wood. If I'm not in love with the idea of cutting off the flange (It's ABS, there's not a lot of room for error since the drain pipe past the flange seems rather short, and there's not a lot of ABS flanges to be found in my region, anyway).

Should I have opted for something like cutting pieces to be 22"x22 and an 10"X22" instead of two longer, thinner ones?
(The grain would still run over the perpendicular to joists, though)

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 25, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

How/where do you get those clear plastic/rubberized protectors on a removable shower head hose that I always see in hotels? This $120 Delta scuffed up the tiles in my rental and I want to avoid roughing up any more shower surrounds. The only thing I could think of was clear heat shrink which seems like overkill and not flexible enough.

Any tips for polishing out or covering dark marks on white tile? They're shallow enough that I can't feel them and they don't just wash off.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

NancyPants posted:

How/where do you get those clear plastic/rubberized protectors on a removable shower head hose that I always see in hotels? This $120 Delta scuffed up the tiles in my rental and I want to avoid roughing up any more shower surrounds. The only thing I could think of was clear heat shrink which seems like overkill and not flexible enough.

Any tips for polishing out or covering dark marks on white tile? They're shallow enough that I can't feel them and they don't just wash off.

What about masking off the sprayer and coating it with an aerosol rubber like LeakStop or Plastidip?

Does an abrasive cleaner like Comet not take out the existing scuffs? MagicEraser/melamine sponge?

e: on second thought, leakstop is a mess and a half. Plastidip might work though.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 26, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody dabbled in making stuff out of metal studs? I'm doing an experiment with them to see if I can hold up a big grill for an outdoor kitchen. I got the most basic frame together and it's kind of rickety. In truth, I would have this problem with pressure-treated pine at this point. However, I'm wondering if there is special consideration I should give towards how to being to reinforce it. It looks like I should try to use the wide part of the metal stud for structure.

Yes, I do know I need to spray down all the bits I cut and drill with a galvanizing paint. That being said, do I have to do that in detail with it disassembled or can I get the benefits zapping the exposed bits as I have them screwed together.

My Dad and I made an outdoor kitchen area framed out with metal studs about 10 years ago. The frame itself is pretty rickity until you skin it with something. We used the concrete tile backer board. Then tiled over the whole thing. Big rear end grill set right in the center of it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Thumposaurus posted:

My Dad and I made an outdoor kitchen area framed out with metal studs about 10 years ago. The frame itself is pretty rickity until you skin it with something. We used the concrete tile backer board. Then tiled over the whole thing. Big rear end grill set right in the center of it.

Ehh it's no good then for temporarily hold up a grill while I wait to make the rest of the island. I also discovered pressure-treated 2x4s are currently cheaper than the metal studs! So I disassembled the thing last night.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
If I have a small nitrogen cylinder, where exactly can I go to get it filled with 100% nitrogen? Do places like Airgas work with individuals or are they business-to-business only?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Three-Phase posted:

If I have a small nitrogen cylinder, where exactly can I go to get it filled with 100% nitrogen? Do places like Airgas work with individuals or are they business-to-business only?

Matheson (formerly Linweld) has nitrogen listed on their website. I've got no trouble buying small quantities of welding gas there, and I can't imagine anywhere else with a service counter turning you away.

Your cylinder has to have a recent certification stamp, though. (10 years?) otherwise you'll have to pay for testing. My place ignores the expiration on swaps for bottles with their logo, so maybe see if your battle is stamped and go there.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Three-Phase posted:

i can't speak for anyone else but airgas works with any jackass who can wave money in the air

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Talking about the floor around the toilet, again. I don't have a picture/diagram to upload at the moment, but here's the rough idea:

But before I go much further, I've been wondering if I should be doing this a different way before I put in my edge support between joists 1 and 2. I'll need to put in three spaced at about 0"-15"-22" to support all four edges of the two pieces of wood. If I'm not in love with the idea of cutting off the flange (It's ABS, there's not a lot of room for error since the drain pipe past the flange seems rather short, and there's not a lot of ABS flanges to be found in my region, anyway).

Should I have opted for something like cutting pieces to be 22"x22 and an 10"X22" instead of two longer, thinner ones?
(The grain would still run over the perpendicular to joists, though)

It might be better to rethink cutting off the flange and going with a single piece of plywood. If the drain pipe past the flange is too short, maybe something like this would work:

https://www.amazon.com/Ez-Flo-40056...s+toilet+flange

There are also flange extenders available.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Gotcha - thanks guys. The Airgas comment made me laugh.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I need to cover a 5x12 area with some kind of mulch for my kids new swing set. I saw there's that rubber shredded stuff. Seems decent. It's also currently boxed in with railroad ties, but I'm concerned that the corners could be too sharp if the kids fell on them.

Any opinions on the rubber mulch (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubberific-0-8-cu-ft-Red-Rubber-Mulch/3199903) and an alternative for the ties? I was considering maybe just taking my belt sander and circular saw and just rounding the edges so they aren't sharp.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I need to cover a 5x12 area with some kind of mulch for my kids new swing set. I saw there's that rubber shredded stuff. Seems decent. It's also currently boxed in with railroad ties, but I'm concerned that the corners could be too sharp if the kids fell on them.

Any opinions on the rubber mulch (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubberific-0-8-cu-ft-Red-Rubber-Mulch/3199903) and an alternative for the ties? I was considering maybe just taking my belt sander and circular saw and just rounding the edges so they aren't sharp.

Rubber mulch has a tendency to get extremely hot in direct sunlight, so look into that. If you are in a sunny spot it is probably not suitable.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I dunno if this applies to all rubber mulch but the stuff I've seen is pretty nasty. It's made from recycled tires and has bits of metal on it. Not something I'd want kids playing on, I think.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've read that athletes that spend a lot of time on artificial turf are more at risk of various health hazards, too. Probably not an issue for just casual play, but I wouldn't willingly use it if there were alternatives.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I looked into this and it's going to be retarded expensive for anything other than a cosmetic covering (actual shock absorption from falls). I wound up with washed round pea gravel (specify the washed or the kids wind up tracking stone dust everywhere, which is abrasive...).

For the landscape timbers I hit up the edges with a big round over bit on a router. May have been 1/2 or 3/4" radius, I think the bigger ones get expensive. I'm sure a saw and sander would work, I just don't have the workmanship to not have it look like poo poo I think.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

glynnenstein posted:

Rubber mulch has a tendency to get extremely hot in direct sunlight, so look into that. If you are in a sunny spot it is probably not suitable.

It's in full shade, so that's not an issue, but:

n.. posted:

I dunno if this applies to all rubber mulch but the stuff I've seen is pretty nasty. It's made from recycled tires and has bits of metal on it. Not something I'd want kids playing on, I think.

Looks like it's specificallly "certified" for playgrounds.

uwaeve posted:

I looked into this and it's going to be retarded expensive for anything other than a cosmetic covering (actual shock absorption from falls). I wound up with washed round pea gravel (specify the washed or the kids wind up tracking stone dust everywhere, which is abrasive...).

For the landscape timbers I hit up the edges with a big round over bit on a router. May have been 1/2 or 3/4" radius, I think the bigger ones get expensive. I'm sure a saw and sander would work, I just don't have the workmanship to not have it look like poo poo I think.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. The bag says it covers 9 sqft at 1 inch, the space is just for a cheap regular metal swing set, so it'll be about 60 sqft, but I'm sure the bag doesn't go as far as it says it will. Is the pea gravel safe to fall off a swing on?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. The bag says it covers 9 sqft at 1 inch, the space is just for a cheap regular metal swing set, so it'll be about 60 sqft, but I'm sure the bag doesn't go as far as it says it will. Is the pea gravel safe to fall off a swing on?

Define "safe". Kid'll be hurt, but they shouldn't be badly hurt.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's in full shade, so that's not an issue, but:

Looks like it's specificallly "certified" for playgrounds.

There's some equivalence in some document, I can't find the one I used but found this while phoneposting. Not to send you down the rabbit hole but from a safety standpoint I think the guidelines are to prevent head injuries, and the fall heights I think are more from a stationary 2nd level of a playground type thing. Same goes for if your kids, like mine, insist on climbing to the highest point of anything, even a simple a-frame swing. On the flip side, unless you're just flopping off a stationary swing, I think I would have a hard time hitting a 5x12 area under the swing set if I were to fall off while swinging, so it may be a moot point. I think I have 10" of pea gravel and it's fun for me and of the kids to jump into from height, so there's that. I mean they act brain damaged but I don't think it's from falling off the playground. Knowing government studies the recommendations are probably overkill.

Also 360 bucks isn't the end of the world for your application, i think I was looking at like 800 square feet so that's probably why I was like "gently caress that noise" when i priced the rubber stuff. I think the round pea gravel cost me like 600 but I could be misremembering. Plus I paid a bunch of dudes to haul and spread it, but that was in the quote to excavate and lay landscape timbers so not sure the actual cost unless you wanna haul two literal tons of gravel from wherever they dump it to the swingset.

eta: we all grew up on frigging concrete playgrounds and climbing huge rear end trees and we literally all made it. I'm sure a few unlucky sons of bitches died but I just remember kids would break ankles and collarbones and poo poo, I didn't go to a lot of playground-induced funerals.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 27, 2017

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

uwaeve posted:

There's some equivalence in some document, I can't find the one I used but found this while phoneposting. Not to send you down the rabbit hole but from a safety standpoint I think the guidelines are to prevent head injuries, and the fall heights I think are more from a stationary 2nd level of a playground type thing. Same goes for if your kids, like mine, insist on climbing to the highest point of anything, even a simple a-frame swing. On the flip side, unless you're just flopping off a stationary swing, I think I would have a hard time hitting a 5x12 area under the swing set if I were to fall off while swinging, so it may be a moot point. I think I have 10" of pea gravel and it's fun for me and of the kids to jump into from height, so there's that. I mean they act brain damaged but I don't think it's from falling off the playground. Knowing government studies the recommendations are probably overkill.

Also 360 bucks isn't the end of the world for your application, i think I was looking at like 800 square feet so that's probably why I was like "gently caress that noise" when i priced the rubber stuff. I think the round pea gravel cost me like 600 but I could be misremembering. Plus I paid a bunch of dudes to haul and spread it, but that was in the quote to excavate and lay landscape timbers so not sure the actual cost unless you wanna haul two literal tons of gravel from wherever they dump it to the swingset.

eta: we all grew up on frigging concrete playgrounds and climbing huge rear end trees and we literally all made it. I'm sure a few unlucky sons of bitches died but I just remember kids would break ankles and collarbones and poo poo, I didn't go to a lot of playground-induced funerals.

Thanks for the info! The area already has landscape timbers, and it's just a crappy a-frame swing, so there's no crazy multi level playground. It's also a pretty small area too, so maybe the rubber won't be too much.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

uwaeve posted:

wherever they dump it

neighbor's parking spot on the street, 100% of the time, right

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SoundMonkey posted:

neighbor's parking spot on the street, 100% of the time, right

That or by the garage.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got this old vent that used to be used with an oven that's not been in the house for decades. Now I'm selling and an inspector says I should cap it - which sounds easy, but damned if I can find one. I'm just looking for a simple 4" aluminum vent cap - I can jury-rig it a hundred different ways but I want something that's going to pass inspection. What am I looking for? "Vent cap" just gives me things that are meant to go on the outside of the house, nothing for simply blocking an unused vent.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jackpot fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 28, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"Duct cap" pops up some things that are probably what you're looking for.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Enourmo posted:

"Duct cap" pops up some things that are probably what you're looking for.
That's exactly it, I just hadn't thought of the right words to search for. :thumbsup:

Next up: besides needing some obvious mortar work, I've got to seal some holes around the house. Can I do this with the foam-spray sealants that come in a can, or should I use one of the two-component kinds? Or something else entirely?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

jackpot posted:

That's exactly it, I just hadn't thought of the right words to search for. :thumbsup:

Next up: besides needing some obvious mortar work, I've got to seal some holes around the house. Can I do this with the foam-spray sealants that come in a can, or should I use one of the two-component kinds? Or something else entirely?

Don't use spray foam outdoors. It looks like poo poo gets gross. You want a caulk sealant, although the one on the left is gonna be weird to fill from the looks of it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah baby fill that caulk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

jackpot posted:

If you still can't find one that works try a $100 sellers credit. :v: