Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Got to Daleks in Manhattan. I somehow completely forgot about the penis Dalek, I laughed a lot at that reveal. It's a terrible two parter, but terrible in a really funny way. The woeful New York accents, the pig man romance, it has everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
It still amazes me to this day how bad the American accents are in Doctor Who. I mean, there have got to be real yanks working in the Beeb somewhere, right?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

marktheando posted:

Got to Daleks in Manhattan. I somehow completely forgot about the penis Dalek, I laughed a lot at that reveal. It's a terrible two parter, but terrible in a really funny way. The woeful New York accents, the pig man romance, it has everything.

I love that Sec ate the man but the worst that happened to his suit was that he got a bit of slime on it. Why isn't he half-Dalek, 40% man, and 10% cotton & spats?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Plavski posted:

It still amazes me to this day how bad the American accents are in Doctor Who. I mean, there have got to be real yanks working in the Beeb somewhere, right?

It's revenge for all the bad accents we have to deal with in American productions.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Plavski posted:

They got an actual American who lives in the UK to play Nixon, but then got an English guy who lives in America to play Canton Everett Delaware III. I don't know whether they filmed the Oval Office scenes in the UK or the US but either way that seems like bad logistics.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

marktheando posted:

It's revenge for all the bad accents we have to deal with in American productions.

The English accent Greg House uses is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfBTe_N-m6U

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I always enjoy the Daleks various silly slave races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqjMQM8kZfk

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

I always enjoy the Daleks various silly slave races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqjMQM8kZfk

I like Seinfeld a lot but there's a lot of audience laughter there considering there's no actual joke or anything funny happening.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I enjoy Kramer saying "pig man" :shrug:

And that thought was never far from my mind in those heartfelt scenes with Laszlo the pig man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe the guys who played Lazslo and Dalek Sec that human Dalek are both Americans.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe the guys who played Lazslo and Dalek Sec that human Dalek are both Americans.

Yeah, but Miranda Raison and Hugh Quarshie definitely aren't and as a result sound loving terrible.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Doctor Who is almost as bad as Sherlock

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, but Miranda Raison and Hugh Quarshie definitely aren't and as a result sound loving terrible.

I'd also forgotten that pre-fame Andrew Garfield was in that episode until I checked the cast to make that post.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd also forgotten that pre-fame Andrew Garfield was in that episode until I checked the cast to make that post.

I remembered he was in the episode, but forgot who he played. Shame he wasn't Lazlo because then I could've made a Spider-Ham joke.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Doctor Who is almost as bad as Sherlock

While I think Doctor Who is usually much better than Sherlock, I'm sure we can agree that Sherlock is bad and that Gatiss and Moffat's Dracula show is going to be really bad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Can't believe they're not bringing Capaldi with them to play Dracula

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

2house2fly posted:

Can't believe they're not bringing Capaldi with them to play Dracula

Are we sure, Capaldi's IMDB page is suspiciously blank post doctor who.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They must have at least talked about it with him, right. "Hey Peter, you know how you look exactly like Dracula? Well..."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I anticipate that it will be called Drac and Dracula will be played by Alexander Vlahos.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Slowpoke! posted:

I've been rewatching Capaldi's run and it doesn't really surprise me they picked a female Doctor given the amount of softening up we've gotten the past few years. First the Master regens into Missy, then in Hell bent we see the General regent into a woman (and she quips about being a man like she had previously been a woman before), then this past season the Doctor mentions offhand that the Master had previously been a woman. This was set up for at least three years, so not a shock at all (though obviously they could gone either way).

Missy was really key to the whole thing. There was plenty of complaining about the Master suddenly turning female, and even some complaining in her earliest episodes that she was over acting and rubbish compared to Simm's Master. I was a little apprehensive myself that they would do the obvious thing and try to sexualize the relationship or something.

But Missy turned out to be fantastic!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Missy was really key to the whole thing. There was plenty of complaining about the Master suddenly turning female, and even some complaining in her earliest episodes that she was over acting and rubbish compared to Simm's Master. I was a little apprehensive myself that they would do the obvious thing and try to sexualize the relationship or something.

But Missy turned out to be fantastic!

Being entirely honest, she was a bit rubbish to begin with.

And I still despise the name Missy. The Master is a gender neutral term. You don't go to college and get your Mistress.

Season 8 Master I would have been just fine never seeing again. Thankfully they let Gomez rescue that from the trash heap with some of the only good things from season 9, and some of the best stuff of season 10. And hey

She never became a cartoon skeleton

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

She was great in series 8. Not sure she ever got a better line than "Conquer the universe, Mister President!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Missy never rubbed hamburgers wrappers on her face, so that's another improvement over the Simm Master

Diazepam HCl
Jun 26, 2013

Burkion posted:

Being entirely honest, she was a bit rubbish to begin with.

And I still despise the name Missy. The Master is a gender neutral term. You don't go to college and get your Mistress.

Season 8 Master I would have been just fine never seeing again. Thankfully they let Gomez rescue that from the trash heap with some of the only good things from season 9, and some of the best stuff of season 10. And hey

She never became a cartoon skeleton

I have to agree with the name Missy. I became used to it, but keeping the Master name is what should have happened. I wasnt really on board with the new actress playing Missy until the end of season 10, much like I am with the doctors. I'll need to rewatch some seasons.

As far as the Simm Master, he whole rubbing hamburger wrappers on his face haunts me to this day.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Given the material, he had to ham it up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, you couldn't really do subtlety and nuance when you're capturing a helicarrier using future robots after murdering your entire cabinet. Even less when you've been raised from the dead using a magic potion and can now shoot lighting and you turn the entire world into copies of yourself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I never understood why he had a super jump ability.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There are plenty of nice subtle little character moments in Simm's performance, you just have to look between all the terrible ideas. They went for a Master who was a direct reflection of Tennant's Doctor and they sure got one.

e: I love them both but my taste is probably bad

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

HopperUK posted:

There are plenty of nice subtle little character moments in Simm's performance, you just have to look between all the terrible ideas. They went for a Master who was a direct reflection of Tennant's Doctor and they sure got one.

e: I love them both but my taste is probably bad

Everyone's taste in here is bad, including (especially?) mine. Just ask anyone else that isn't them!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In retrospect, I'm surprised the Master didn't have a full on, flying-through-air, shooting lighting, slamming his fists in to the ground and causing earthquakes fight with the Doctor like in the third Matrix movie. The End of Time two parter is a huge mess, even if the actual end with Wilf and Tennant is pretty nice.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The only reason Missy is called Missy and not the Master is so that they could have her identity be a twist at the end of that season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does anyone else think it's kind of dodgy that the first female Master is also the first one to start feeling emotions and crying etc?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Everyone keep making GBS threads on 'Let's Kill Hitler' and the Zygon two-parter, but if I had the chance to erase one post-revival episode from existence, it would be 'Waters of Mars'.

'Waters of Mars' is what 'Vincent and the Doctor' would have been if, at the end, the Doctor and Amy returned to the gallery and found it empty, because meeting them caused Vincent to burn all of his works and kill himself several years early. It's a version of "Father's Day" where Pete Tyler slaps Rose, calls her a dumb bitch and dashes back into the traffic within ten seconds of being saved. Its characters would rather be spared by a Dalek than be rescued by the Doctor. It feels like a Torchwood episode forcibly transplanted into Doctor Who: a pointlessly edgy and grimdark cautionary tale of how one should never even try to make anything better (especially if doing so would contradict THE WIKIPEDIA).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I think what I'm going to lament the most was the fact we never had the Twelfth Doctor directly interact with a Weeping Angel during his run - aside from the cameo in Hell Bent and their appearance in Class

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone else think it's kind of dodgy that the first female Master is also the first one to start feeling emotions and crying etc?

Nah Simm-Master cried at least once I can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE6lIB87VAc

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Simm Master was kind of an emotional wreck when he wasn't hopped up his cartoon skeleton electro-flying powers, with all that "Please make the drums stop, please" stuff.

Much though I enjoy MIssy's Gleefully Evil persona, the "starting to understand empathy, just before being laser-blasted to death and laughing hysterically through confused tears about it" is about as good as the Master has ever been, so I think I'm okay with it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Plavski posted:

I'm watching Series 10 again and drat, Matt Lucas is just so great as Nardole.

I didn't like him at first but boy howdy did he grow on me. Turned into one of my fav companions.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Burkion posted:

You don't go to college and get your Mistress.

Maybe you don't. :dance:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A more steampunk Twelve

Did Simms and Capaldi do some kind of fusion dance while we weren't looking?

Callback to Series 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Facebook Aunt posted:

and even some complaining in her earliest episodes that she was over acting...compared to Simm's Master.

Hahaha. I love Simm's Master, but I could have picked any random clip of him and posted it here in response to this.

• Locked thread