Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Tanking in FFXIV is completely trivially easy unless you're at max level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Just did the Gilgamesh fight in FF12.

it is glorious. It's even better now, that I know more about Gilgamesh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When you leave the room is the best bit

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

When you leave the room is the best bit

:yeah:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
-=MY BUILD=-

Vaan - Knight\Time Mage:
*Belias (Potion Lore 1)
*Adrammelech (Cura, Raise)
*Mateus (Curaga, Regen, Esuna, Cleanse)
*Hashmal (Curaja, Bravery, Faith, Confuse, Channeling)

Balthier - Shikari\Machinist:
*Famfrit (Hastega, Slowga, Vanishga, Reflectga, Warp, Graviga)

Fran - Black Mage\Archer:
*Shemhazai (Dragon Armor, Grand Armor, Maximillian, Magepower Shishak)

Basch - Ulhan\Foebreaker:
*Chaos (Aeroga, Bio, Blindga, Silencega)
*Ultima (Swiftness)

Ashe - Red Mage\Bushi:
*Cuchulainn (Firaga, Blizzaga, Thundaga, Stamp)
*Zalera (Blood Sword, Karkata)
*Zodiark (Ragnarok, Giant Armor, Dragon Armor, Maximillian, Magepower Shishak)

Penelo - White Mage\Monk:
*Exodus (Souleater, Battle Lore)
*Zeromus (Sight Unseeing, HP+270)

-=GENERAL GAMBITS=-

Ally: Any ~ Raise\Arise\Phoenix Down
Ally: Any ~ Cleanse\Vaccine
or
Ally:Status = Disease ~ Esuna\Remedy
Ally: Status = HP Critical ~ Renew
or
Ally: Any ~ First Aid
Ally: HP < 20% ~ Curaja
Ally: HP < 30% ~ Cura\Curaga\Hi-Potion
Ally: HP < 50% ~ Cure\Cura\Potion
Ally: Any ~ Esuna\Remedy
Self: MP < 10% ~ Charge\Ether

Ally: (Name) ~ Berserk
Ally: Status = Berserk ~ Haste
Ally: (Name) ~ Bravery

Foe: Status = HP Critical ~ Poach
Foe: Status = (Status Effect) ~ Dispel
Foe: Status = Oil ~ Fire\Fira\Firaga\Ardor
Foe: Undead ~ Raise\Cure\Cura\Curaga\Curaja
Foe: Weak - darkness ~ Dark\Darkra\Darkga
Foe: Weak - fire ~ Fire\Fira\Firaga\Ardor
Foe: Weak - ice ~ Blizzard\Blizzara\Blizzaga
Foe: Weak - lightning ~ Thunder\Thundara\Thundaga
Foe: Weak - wind ~ Aero\Aeroga
Foe: Weak - water ~ Water
Foe: Flying ~ (Any Black Magic Spell)\Shades of Black\Telekenesis
Foe: Character Status = Blind ~ Sight Unseeing
Foe: HP = 100% ~ Steal
Foe: Party Leader's Target ~ Flare\Shock\Bio
Foe: Party Leader's Target ~ Attack
Foe: Lowest HP ~ Attack

Ally: Any ~ Haste
Self ~ Hastega

Self ~ Libra

PLACEMENT DEPENDS:
Ally: Item AMT > 10 ~ (Item)
or
Foe: Item AMT > 10 ~ (Item)

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

AFAIK the only "missable" skills at the point you're at in the game are Sleep and Infuse in the Dreadnought Leviathan, and if you miss them there they spawn in the Sandsea instead, so it just delays you getting them.

Techs
Shades of Black: Tomb of Raithwall - Cloister of Flame
Numerology: Lhusu Mines - Transitway 1
Infuse: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea - Platform 1 - East Tanks
Sight Unseeing: The Zertinan Caverns - Canopy of Clay - It's a passage that links Nam-Yensa to the Ogir Yensa.
Expose: Lhusu Mines - Site 9
Achilles: Garamscythe Waterway (Revisit) - No. 4 Cloaca Spur - Southeast segment and you need to have the water drained for it.
Bonecrusher: Henne Mines - Phase 1 Dig
Shear: Barheim Passage - The Zeviah Span
Stamp: Mosphoran Highwaste - Trail of Sky-Flung Stone & Rays of Ashen Light - Head to the far eastern side and find a weathered rock that should open up a path to the Rays area that holds the chest.
Charm: The Salikawood - Quietened Trace
Telekinesis: Cerobi Steppe - Old Elanise Road
Gil Toss: Draklor Laboratory - Room 7002 East (Floor 70)
1000 Needles: Sochen Cave Palace - Falls of Time
Revive: Paramina Rift - Spine of the Iceworm
Addle: Henne Mines - Special Charter Shaft - It's got a 10% chance for the chest to spawn. South side of the shaft and it's in the second passageway from the east side of the map. The passage isn't marked on the map.
Wither: Pharos Subterra - Abyssal - 10% chance to spawn hidden room on the north spot on the map.

Wither and Addle are good but don't go outta your way for em.

White Magic
Dispel: Tomb of Raitnwall - Royal Passage
Regen: Giza Plains (Rain) - Nomad Village
Renew: Henne Mines - Special Charter Shaft
Cleanse: Cerobi Steppe - The Terraced Bank - 20% chance to spawn chest. In the center of the room.
Dispelga: The Feywood - White Magick's Embrace
Protectga: Necrohol of Nabudis - Cloister of Distant Song
Bravery: Necrohol of Nabudis - Cloister of the Highborn
Faith: Necrohol of Nabudis - Hall of the Ivory Covenant
Shellga: Great Crystal - It is somewhere in there...
Holy: Pharos at Ridorana - Wellspring Ravel - 3rd Flight

Black Magic
Blind: Giza Plains (Dry) - Toam Hills
Poison: Dalmasca Estersands - Sand-swept Naze
Silence: Lhusu Mines - Shaft Entry
Sleep: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea - Platform 1 - East Tanks
Scathe: Lhusu Mines - Staging Area
Toxify: Barheim Passage — East-West Bypass
Blindga: Tchita Uplands — Fields of Eternity
Silencega: Nechrol of Nabudis - Cloister of the Highborn
Sleepga: Ancient City of Giruvegan — The Trimahla Water-Steps
Flare: Pharos at Ridorana — Spire Ravel - 1st Flight

Time Magic
Vanish: The Tomb of Raithwall — Royal Passage
Reflect: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea — Primary Tank Complex
Balance: Nam-Yensa Sandsea - Demesne of the Sandqueen
Haste: Eruyt Village - Fane of the Path
Countdown: Stilshrine of Miriam - Ward of Velitation
Reflectga: The Feywood — The Edge of Reason
Warp: Nabreus Deadlands — Lifeless Strand
Float: Tchita Uplands - Oliphzak Rise
Hastega: The Great Crystal - Somewhere

Green Magic
Clan Provisioner, nothing really found in chests

Arcane Magic
Death: Paramina Rift — Karydine Glacier
Ardor: Pharos at Ridorana — Spire Ravel - 2nd Flight

Just quoting to make it easier for me to find it later

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I have 3 Espers (main ones you get from the story as far as I am currently) and I think I have only attempted to only use them once...and that was met with the Esper basically getting one shotted before any action was taken.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Anyone who said they have no idea why Vaan joins the party either has a terrible memory or is a habitual cutscene skipper/ignorer because I just watched a cutscene at the garif village where Vaan literally explains it to Ashe out loud using simple, easily understood words.

In other news this game is way more fun now that I have 2 jobs for everyone and lots of gambit slots. I don't have to spend tons of time un-debuffing people manually, the proper spells get cast at the enemies, people have more access to more gear options, etc.

Oh and I also got a Karkata from trial mode. Balthier is a steamroller now.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

thorsilver posted:

Ah well, I'm gonna roll with it. Picked up Gun Mage anyway at the start of Chapter 2, so long as I'm not an idiot from here on out and can get whatever dresspheres are available then that's the most important thing, not bothered about every sidequest unless they give me cool stuff to use with the job system.

Okay. Iirc there's only one dressphere that you might be locked out of because it needs episode completes from each area at the end of the game (Mascot), and I think there's an area that requires you to do a sidequest in Chapter 1 for this. But if you don't really care to do all the extra dungeons and stuff then you probably don't need to care, though Mascot is still a pretty good job to pick up. You can also get it from the fiend arena but that may be difficult.

Andrast posted:

Using a guide and doing a lot of boring bullshit to see 10 extra seconds tacked on to the ending (that also makes it worse) is pretty dumb when you can just youtube it

Tbf, youtube didn't exist back when X-2 was released. Yeah there were other ways to share videos but they weren't exactly great back then.

The White Dragon posted:

barring everything else, X-2 has tons of extra credit percentage points. they aren't needed to get a perfect score, and a lot of them aren't very hard to get.

via infinito is a fully optional dungeon that iirc gives something like 1% completion for every 20 floors you do, down to 100 floors. furthermore, choosing to side with nooj or baralai gives mutually exclusive completion for doing their factions' missions, and this completion percentage carries over to new game plus. siding with the other group gives you even more extra credit. iirc monster arena is also a fully optional part of the game that provides more bonus percentage on top of all this.

reaching 100% in X-2 isn't daunting at all, you can easily make it despite skipping tons of poo poo

Looking it up, Via infinito doesn't work that way. You only get % from the 2 crimson spheres there and beating the boss at the end. The fiend arena also doesn't give you completion points either, but does give you alternate ways to get some dresspheres and items.

But the bit about choosing alternate decisions is true, and that's sorta the point with X-2. It's a game that *technically* you can 100% in one playthrough, but they clearly intended for you to replay the game and choose things differently and explore. I like that kind of design, but it seems lots of people can't stand replaying games.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This. There are certainly good concepts in X-2's plot, such as what happens after a thousand-year theocracy is toppled, but the game seems less interested in those and far more interested in Girl Power. I love the new Yuna but Rikku is unbearable, especially since he was actually smarter in the last game.

I didn't realize Brother was only in sidemissions. Or the entirety of Chapter 2 where the girls have to get disguised to sneak into a place they could easily slaughter their way into because it's full of mooks you have been destroying since the game started. Or everything to do with Hypellos.

You're really oversimplifying X's story simply to poo poo on it and praise X-2's.

Yes, because when I think of FFX-2, I think of Yuna slaughtering people. And why didn't Yuna murder Leblanc at the start of the game in Luca. That would have made things so much easier. BIG plothole, Square.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Now that youtube exists there's even less of a reason to 100% the game in one playthrough (I replayed it twice because FFX-2 is da bes).

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Am I missing something against King Bomb in FF12? He just renews a few times, silence stops him from getting his buds back, but then he just chain-firas me to death. I got him REALLY close once, but yet another renew put an end to that.

Is it a level thing? My main 3 are level 28-29.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Emron posted:

Am I missing something against King Bomb in FF12? He just renews a few times, silence stops him from getting his buds back, but then he just chain-firas me to death. I got him REALLY close once, but yet another renew put an end to that.

I just quickening-chained him to death

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Emron posted:

You can either quickening him when he's at like 30% hp so he doesn't renew or just keep beating him and after like 4 or so renews he'll just stop doing it.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Ventana posted:

But the bit about choosing alternate decisions is true, and that's sorta the point with X-2. It's a game that *technically* you can 100% in one playthrough, but they clearly intended for you to replay the game and choose things differently and explore. I like that kind of design, but it seems lots of people can't stand replaying games.

People will restart their 50 hour file over 0.2% instead of doing a NG+ and running through the story in 5 hours. It's bizarre.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Anyone who said they have no idea why Vaan joins the party either has a terrible memory or is a habitual cutscene skipper/ignorer because I just watched a cutscene at the garif village where Vaan literally explains it to Ashe out loud using simple, easily understood words.

In other news this game is way more fun now that I have 2 jobs for everyone and lots of gambit slots. I don't have to spend tons of time un-debuffing people manually, the proper spells get cast at the enemies, people have more access to more gear options, etc.

Oh and I also got a Karkata from trial mode. Balthier is a steamroller now.

People are notoriously bad at correctly recalling character and story beats from ff games.

Emron posted:

I can't remember what I was when I beat him but it was definitely higher than that, if it's your first trip to the Salikawood he's in the opposite direction of where you need to go anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

gigglefeimer posted:

People will restart their 50 hour file over 0.2% instead of doing a NG+ and running through the story in 5 hours. It's bizarre.

Kind of how like the societies of Spira still cling to their failing traditions instead of having the courage to start over, until Yuna shows them the spirit of grrl power. :thunk:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Vaan is good and grows up way faster than the average Final Fantasy character.

Emron posted:

If you get a big Quickening chain, you can skip right past his Renew window.

That said, he only uses Renew twice before he runs out of MP, so if you can just survive long enough you can wear him down. It's too bad you (probably) can't have Syphon yet, because that's one boss where taking the time to drain his MP would be really valuable.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 26, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harrow posted:

Vaan is good and grows up way faster than the average Final Fantasy character.

If you get a big Quickening chain, you can skip right past his Renew window.

That said, he only uses Renew twice before he runs out of MP, so if you can just survive long enough you can wear him down.

Vaan is good and consistent and genuinely courageous. I like his arc a lot. His voice actor is weak in a cast of really good voice actors which hurts, but he's written well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Levantine posted:

Vaan is good and consistent and genuinely courageous. I like his arc a lot. His voice actor is weak in a cast of really good voice actors which hurts, but he's written well.

Yeah, they should've had Yuri Lowenthal voice him instead of Reks, but I guess they didn't want too many well-known video game voice actors in their lead cast.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
There will be a Multiplayer beta for FFXV. You need have the season pass to participate.
https://finalfantasyxv.com/comrades/

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sefal posted:

There will be a Multiplayer beta for FFXV. You need have the season pass to participate.

Holy poo poo, its actually happening. Could be fun, could be White Knight Chronicles.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, they should've had Yuri Lowenthal voice him instead of Reks, but I guess they didn't want too many well-known video game voice actors in their lead cast.

Totally agreed. I think I get what they were going for, casting an unknown but he's not a very good actor.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm glad that the zodiac age allows me to replay ff12. there are so many things that slipped by me when I played it years ago. I already liked the game back then. But I like it more now. Though I cannot imagine playing the game without 4x speed.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sefal posted:

i cant believe that out of the complete chaos and disarray that was the creation of ffxv there was somehow multiplayer code written, tested and soon to be released. like of all things to include...

that said im very interested to try it out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I love about FFXII's story is that it occasionally reveals things, or calls back things that it brought up earlier, really subtly and without drawing your attention to it. Like when Fran's hoverbike thing malfunctions right at the start and she can't figure out why the magitek engine just outright died. A few hours later, we find out that the stone Vaan was carrying is nethicite, which absorbs Mist and nullifies magick. Nobody ever goes, "Well, that explains the engine failing." It's up to the player to remember and go, "Oh yeah!"

Sefal posted:

Though I cannot imagine playing the game without 4x speed.

I mostly use 2x speed when I'm running around doing random battle stuff, then turn it back down to normal speed for boss fights. I think I only ever used 4x speed when I decided gently caress the license board and did some LP grinding in trial mode so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore. That said, the only reason I don't use 4x speed more is because I can't loving steer when I'm moving that fast :v:

Levantine posted:

Totally agreed. I think I get what they were going for, casting an unknown but he's not a very good actor.

Luckily, drat near everyone else they cast is fantastic. I still don't know why Gideon Emery doesn't have more prominent video game roles, though. He was a major NPC in FFXIV 2.0 but they recast that character after that (along with, like, every character), and he was that one angsty elf in Dragon Age 2, but other than that I just keep hearing him as background guards and being sad that he isn't voicing a main character.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sefal posted:

Though I cannot imagine playing the game without 4x speed.

This. So much. I only use 2x because it's my first time playing the game and I actually want to look around and see stuff, but I really don't think I'd be enjoying this game so much if it wasn't for the speed boosts.

The 3x speed boosts also made my playthrough of FF7 HD a lot more fun. I actually beat the weapons for the first time ever and part of that was not getting burned out on the game because I could play through it so fast. Even grinding magic pots in the crater wasn't painful thanks to 3x speed.

Every modern RPG should have that feature.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

x4 speed is the true way it's meant to be played.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

x4 speed is the true way it's meant to be played.

I run into walls too much at 4x. I play the poo poo out of Trial mode at 4x though :v:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I bumped up to 4x going back through the sandseas to pick up spells in chests and haven't been able to go back to 2x since.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do you 4x people steer :psyduck:

Elephant Ambush posted:

Every modern RPG should have that feature.

:yeah:

I love Bravely Default/Second's options there, too. Speed up combat, decide your random encounter rate, change the difficulty at any time, it's awesome.

Although weirdly I don't think Persona 5 really needed a speed-up or skip combat option, just because its combat and exploration are so smooth and fast-paced already. I guess if more JRPGs took that approach I wouldn't feel the need for a speed up option or anything like that, but since the overwhelming majority don't, might as well include the option.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 26, 2017

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

You do you 4x people steer :psyduck:

Levantine posted:

I run into walls too much at 4x.

Git gud or just rub your face up against everything til you get what you want.

Side note: they should make the combat menu button different from the interact button.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

Side note: they should make the combat menu button different from the interact button.

This is really my biggest issue with Sonic-ing around the environments. It's a real walk of shame having to toggle off 4x to actually open up a chest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Hell yes they should. That's such a pain in the rear end. The O button isn't doing this when you're not in a menu so it might as well be the interact button. (I realize that O and X are swapped from the Japanese version and maybe Japanese players would find X to interact weirder than western players would find O to interact so I dunno.)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
At 1st I preferred 2x, because I too ran at walls. But then in a big area, swapped it to 4x. I can't go back . I somehow got used to 4x speed

I'm really liking FF12. I either forgot or didn't notice how fast Vaan grows in the game
He goes from angry "you killed my brother" tantrum. To becoming one of the more level headed people in the game pretty quickly. The best thing is. The reason why he is angry is legit. And It would be fair of him to stay angry because Basch's story sounds fishy enough to not believe.

What i'm saying is. Play FF12

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Theres a moment where Balthier asks him what he's looking in life when all this crazy world impacting poo poo ongoing on. That's kind of the point in the story for me where Vaan realizes he's just being a young dipshit.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Ventana posted:

Okay. Iirc there's only one dressphere that you might be locked out of because it needs episode completes from each area at the end of the game (Mascot), and I think there's an area that requires you to do a sidequest in Chapter 1 for this. But if you don't really care to do all the extra dungeons and stuff then you probably don't need to care, though Mascot is still a pretty good job to pick up. You can also get it from the fiend arena but that may be difficult.

Ahh OK, I might try the Fiend Arena thing, I'm actually having some fun messing about with that at the moment :) Thanks for the tips. I'm taking my time in Chapter 2 and visiting everywhere now so I won't miss anything major from here on out, just wasn't paying attention at all before.

I'm actually really getting into it now, at first I was a bit thrown off by the tonal whiplash after getting all emotional at the end of FFX. I'm looking at this as a fun blast of cool battle shenanigans and just kind of eye-rolling my way through the cutscenes and feeling much happier with it now.

quote:

Personally I don't hate replaying games at all, it's a matter of RPGs just taking up a shitload of time, and time is something I don't have much of these days.

Also I've made a mission for myself to try to play a bunch of Final Fantasy this year for the 30th anniversary, so I don't want to get too hung up on any one entry!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what a shame revenant wings was bad, the main cast going on sky pirate adventures sounded rad

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Norns posted:

Theres a moment where Balthier asks him what he's looking in life when all this crazy world impacting poo poo ongoing on. That's kind of the point in the story for me where Vaan realizes he's just being a young dipshit.

His bit with Ashe in Jahara was really good. Because he says exactly why he's decided to stick around. Like, the thing I always laugh at when people would say "God why is Vaan even around?" It's like... He says as much! There's an entire really good scene where he explains it in detail.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I used to have hangups bout Vaan but he's good now.

FFXII has a neat plot and characters with just some rough gameplay elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Onmi posted:

His bit with Ashe in Jahara was really good. Because he says exactly why he's decided to stick around. Like, the thing I always laugh at when people would say "God why is Vaan even around?" It's like... He says as much! There's an entire really good scene where he explains it in detail.

The best bit about that is this inexperienced kid who has been kicked around most of his life becomes self aware and is talking to literal royalty about loss and courage and basically showing her where she falls short. It takes her til near the end of the game to learn what he did early in the journey. Vaan is pretty cool.