Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

echopapa posted:

After the Six-Day War, a furious Brezhnev called Nasser and asked, “How could you lose the war so quickly? Didn’t you listen to your Soviet military advisers?”

Nasser said, “We did exactly what they told us to do! We retreated and waited for the winter!”

Why did the Six-Day War end so quickly?
Because the Israelis were renting their weapons by the week.
Alternatively, Because on the seventh day they rested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squalid posted:

The channel BazBattles is similar to Historia Civilis in terms of presentation and battle illustration. I'm not entirely sure how it's researched and produced so I won't vouch for its rigor, but it does present a lot of good background detail and context about each battle while keeping each video short and focused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQFjhp2j8w

Cool, thanks.

Here's a question, when watching the Rome series, he is meticulous in giving a play by play of the battle: this line advances, this calvary unit flanks, moves to this side, maneuvers, very detailed and up to the minute. So, what sources record stuff like this? Does Caesar break down battles maneuver by maneuver in his commentaries, or are these other historians? How confident can we be in descriptions of the exact tactics of battles thousands of years ago?

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 26, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

zoux posted:

Cool, thanks.

Here's a question, when watching the Rome series, he is meticulous in giving a play by play of the battle: this line advances, this calvary unit flanks, moves to this side, maneuvers, very detailed and up to the minute. So, what sources record stuff like this? Does Caesar break down battles maneuver by maneuver in his commentaries, or are these other historians? How confident can we be in descriptions of the exact tactics of battles thousands of years ago?

I don't remember if he gives his sources but I'm confident at least 90% of the details for the Gaulic campaigns in Historia Civilis could be drawn from Caesar, at times the videos felt like a recap of the commentaries. Which I appreciated since I listened to them on audiobook while doing mixed sets of high intensity cardio and frankly I think I spaced out for 50% of the narrative.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Saw Dunkirk. It's a good movie.

At the end someone sitting behind me asked "does this happen before or after D-Day?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ice Fist posted:

Saw Dunkirk. It's a good movie.

At the end someone sitting behind me asked "does this happen before or after D-Day?"

Shoulda spun around and told them that it happened on D-Day

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*Leans over to girlfriend when Dunkirk appears on screen, whispers* That's Dunkirk

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I took my brother to go see it and used it to point out that a lot of the history we see has incredible poo poo going on behind the scenes like the siege of lille or the rest of the treaties at the end of the seven years' war.

He's 17 so I had to explain Lille as "40 thousand french going full Hodor against 100k Nazis and 800 tanks knowing they'd end up dead or in prisoner camps at the end of it"

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Just saw a preview screening (an hour's worth of clips) of Ken Burns' upcoming series The Vietnam War at the Moore Theater in Seattle

Ken Burns, Lynn Novick, and Karl Malantes (author of Matterhorn) had a panel discussion afterwards

Be super psyched if you are interested in the history of the war and the USA in the 1960s. It premieres Sunday Sept 17 on PBS

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Does he still do a lot of that Ken Burns Effect when he's covering a war with so much video footage?

That's the second thought that occurred. The first was "gently caress you, dude."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Keith Atherton posted:

Just saw a preview screening (an hour's worth of clips) of Ken Burns' upcoming series The Vietnam War at the Moore Theater in Seattle

Ken Burns, Lynn Novick, and Karl Malantes (author of Matterhorn) had a panel discussion afterwards

Be super psyched if you are interested in the history of the war and the USA in the 1960s. It premieres Sunday Sept 17 on PBS

:aaaaa:

/psyching intensifies

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Napoleon Chagnon was right, drat it
lol i hate that dude

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

I had one of those "ALMANAC OF INTERESTING FACTS" books before the advent of the internet, and one piece of trivia that's always stuck with me is that the greatest incidence of inflation in history was when the Austro-Hungarian pengo fell to 1 octillionth of it's pre-war value. So much so that I can remember that the name of the Austro-Hungarian currency is the pengo 25 years later.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, you're remembering incorrectly :shobon:. Austria-Hungary, being German-y, had a nice Germanic-sounding currency -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro-Hungarian_krone

(actually, sounds rather North Germanic these days, of course).

The Pengo came in in Hungary in 1927, some time after the end of the Empire -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_peng%C5%91

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Re. Versaille chat

The line that "the Treaty of Versailles led directly to WWII" has a kernel of truth to it, but is far too reductive and implies a distasteful sort of historical determinism. In actual fact, there was no reason that the Treaty of Versaille had to lead to WWII or that the Weimar Republic had to fail - there were myriad opportunities for all the parties involved to resolve the issues, but in the end there was not the political will to take the sort of steps made after WWII that prevented the same thing happening again. Let's not forget that the Allies in WWII forced unconditional surrender on Germany and began with the intention of carrying out the Morgenthau Plan, but changed

The primary issue with the Treaty of Versaille was that it was crafted with the intention of furnishing the vast web of inter-allied debt that had accumulated after WWI. To put it bluntly, Congress wanted US taxpayers to get their money back, which meant extracting every penny of accumulated debt from Britain and France, who had to get that money from somewhere; namely Germany and reparations. People were extremely aware from the outset that there were limits to how far Germany could be pushed in terms of payments, but France demanded the money to rebuild North-East France and without debt relief from the US the only place to get that was Germany. Weimar Germany had to impose extremely strict spending cuts in order to service their debts, and when they failed to pay in 1923, France took matters into their own hands by moving their army in, occupying the Ruhr and getting their goods directly.

After this low point it was realised among the Western European powers that the current situation could not continue, and the Dawes plan was devised in order to prevent a similar situation from occurring again. This came at deep protests from the French who had to offer many concessions to Germany in order to continue to expect any sorts of payments on the Versaille reparations. This was followed in 1929 by the Young Plan, which planned a further reduction in payments. The Great Depression hit prior to the signing of the Young Plan, however, draining US money out of Germany and a wave of protectionism which totally demolished the German economy, making the Young Plan totally unworkable. President Hoover proposed payment moratoriums, but Congress refused to play ball an demanded payment in full according to the Young Plan in 1932. By this point Hitler was rising in power and Germany's willingness to pay had all but vanished, but all that meant was that Britain and France had to keep up loan payments to the US while the pipeline from Germany had dried up. At that point Britain and France effectively declared the US an irresponsible creditor and defaulted on their loans - incidentally, this is reason why the main method of getting material to Britain in WWII was "Lend-Lease", not loans, because at that point Britain was still technically a defaulted debtor to Congress.

The paradox in all of this is the actions of the US in the interwar period - the US was by and large deeply uncomfortable with the degree to which it had found itself entangled in Europe during the war, and made efforts to detach itself and conduct internal affairs at arms length from the continent. What this in effect meant, as pointed out by many European politicians during the period, was that the US essentially had a veto on anything the Europeans wanted to do by means of the debt leash America could use to pull Britain and France into line. This was especially a problem for France - their main postwar concern was to build a new security arrangement in order to prevent a repeat of August 1914, but for their own reasons neither Britain nor America was interested in militarily shackling themselves to France - especially after the Ruhr Occupation. For this reason (and the US unwillingness to forgive any meaningful amount of the debt) French leaders felt compelled to both keep Germany down financially so they did not pose a threat, and extract the necessary wealth to see their own security arrangments, given that it seemed likely that neither Anglo nation could be relied on in any future war.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Does he still do a lot of that Ken Burns Effect when he's covering a war with so much video footage?

That's the second thought that occurred. The first was "gently caress you, dude."

I am hoping for letter-reading vignettes with Creedence/Cream/Led Zeppelin etc playing in the background.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

if you like old weird guns, Forgotten Weapons is cool
Come to think of it, if you like old popular guns (like black powder or cowboy guns), hickok45 is a lovely old gent. :3:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Both him and Ian seem to be pleasingly non-weird about guns, it's true.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Keith Atherton posted:

Karl Malantes (author of Matterhorn)

Read this, if you haven't.

(spelled Marlantes)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAIL posted:

lol i hate that dude

maybe he's a jerk (I wouldn't know), but it's hilarious how much the AAA tried to string him up

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

bewbies posted:

Read this, if you haven't.

(spelled Marlantes)

Seconded. Matterhorn is amazing!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

MikeCrotch posted:

Re. Versaille chat

The line that "the Treaty of Versailles led directly to WWII" has a kernel of truth to it, but is far too reductive and implies a distasteful sort of historical determinism.

This whole line of thinking strikes me as being based on the same kind of thinking as the whole "Great Men" approach, a desire for there to be a simple cause for insanely complex events.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Both him and Ian seem to be pleasingly non-weird about guns, it's true.

Karl from InRange and Forgotten Weapons sometimes gets accused of being a Nazi or Wehraboo, but I think it's just because he likes to wear some German WW2 stuff when filming. All of the videos he and Ian have done that actually touch on politics have shown both of them to be sensible and far more left-wing than most other gun nuts.

I think a guy in TFR said he knows Ian personally and he used to DM their D&D games, so he's as much of a nerd as you would expect from looking at him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Unfortunately, as mentioned, you're remembering incorrectly :shobon:. Austria-Hungary, being German-y, had a nice Germanic-sounding currency -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro-Hungarian_krone

(actually, sounds rather North Germanic these days, of course).

The Pengo came in in Hungary in 1927, some time after the end of the Empire -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_peng%C5%91

Everyone stop fact checking my hazy adolescent memories this instant

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

chitoryu12 posted:

Karl from InRange and Forgotten Weapons sometimes gets accused of being a Nazi or Wehraboo, but I think it's just because he likes to wear some German WW2 stuff when filming. All of the videos he and Ian have done that actually touch on politics have shown both of them to be sensible and far more left-wing than most other gun nuts.

Especially weird considering they are from Arizona

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's the trouble with gun stuff is it attracts the loonies a bit, but no apparently there's a gun toting Arizonian hippie who is incredibly knowledgeable about the subject.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
he deserved it imo

edit: the author of the piece you're quoting also did this:

quote:

She is also known for her support of J. Michael Bailey in the face of controversy over his book The Man Who Would Be Queen (2003)
and that book is this thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Would_Be_Queen

You should probably not listen to her.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 26, 2017

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chitoryu12 posted:

I think a guy in TFR said he knows Ian personally and he used to DM their D&D games, so he's as much of a nerd as you would expect from looking at him.

They wear period appropriate stuff all the time, so it's falls into that whole "decent person doing a kinda dumb thing but it's not really all the bad so ehhhhhhh" category I just made up

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAIL posted:

he deserved it imo

If he didn't actually do the things he's accused of, then he doesn't actually deserve it IMO.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They wear period appropriate stuff all the time, so it's falls into that whole "decent person doing a kinda dumb thing but it's not really all the bad so ehhhhhhh" category I just made up

I've played some regular airsoft quasi-roleplay games that take place in a sort of Man in the High Castle universe where Germany won WW2 and occupied the United States. The German forces are just supposed to wear regular camo patterns (depending on which "division" they're in, like the SS Charles Lindbergh Division is in gray or urban camo and the Fallschrimjaegers are in woodland camo or solid green).

And then there's the guys who show up in period accurate SS uniforms from head to toe, carrying an airsoft MG 42 between them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLVAz-Jczg

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it fair to say that Russian operational-level planning and execution in WWII was built around the use of artillery?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Tanks, surely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everything, and lots of it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Everything including the kitchen sink being thrown at one place while the enemy braces for incoming toilet seats somewhere else. :v:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chitoryu12 posted:

I've played some regular airsoft quasi-roleplay games that take place in a sort of Man in the High Castle universe where Germany won WW2 and occupied the United States. The German forces are just supposed to wear regular camo patterns (depending on which "division" they're in, like the SS Charles Lindbergh Division is in gray or urban camo and the Fallschrimjaegers are in woodland camo or solid green).

And then there's the guys who show up in period accurate SS uniforms from head to toe, carrying an airsoft MG 42 between them.

i actually just took a quick look and could not even find one of him in WWII german clothing, maybe like a jacket once. WW1, Old west silliness, Finnish, British, and various other period wear but did not see any Nazi stuff, so if he even did its like once or twice and part of a bigger context.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The Revolver Ocelot of militaries.

But really, artillery, aircraft, and tanks were supposed to be used in unison to pound a hole through the enemy defenses for a tank corps to go into. There wasn't any one component that was more or less important than the others.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

:stwoon: they make...airsoft...machine guns?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fangz posted:

Tanks, surely.

almost certainly artillery

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GAIL posted:

:stwoon: they make...airsoft...machine guns?

Yup! Expensive as gently caress, though.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Re. Soviet artillery, I'm referencing this.

It certainly makes it seem like Stalin envisioned artillery as the fulcrum on which everything else depended, but I'm really not familiar enough with actual operations to know if that's how the battles played out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl76rTxIyzI

They seem to have a soft spot for weird reinactors going a bit too far.