Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It was probably power tools and metalworking that improved the most. Computing was just because these particular nerds liked information theory so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

EponymousMrYar posted:

(Also hooray for an intelligent person to actually figure out what's going on with this whole labyrinth and who made it before Kevin wakes up to say 'oh you guys figured that out, I was gonna tell you but boy is that a load off my shoulders wait what do you mean it requires a virgin sacrifice to leave')

That's okay, the cast has plenty of virgins to spare.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Erpy posted:

That's okay, the cast has plenty of virgins to spare.
We're not sacrificing Olivier to save the day, dammit!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, I like the dynamic they've got going with Estelle here.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Maybe they can imagine up a therapist for Renne. But she'd probably send him screaming for the hills.

Also it's very subtle but you can see Josette is a lot more comfortable with these people than she was at the beginning.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Agate, I'm starting to think that hanging around the entire Russell family is very bad for your health. Like, you have a better chance of surviving the unrestrained wrath of Aidios at this point than surviving an hour with the Russell family.

Also, Anelace. :allears:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

AradoBalanga posted:

Agate, I'm starting to think that hanging around the entire Russell family is very bad for your health. Like, you have a better chance of surviving the unrestrained wrath of Aidios at this point than surviving an hour with the Russell family.

I imagine that if Renne and Ries hadn't held back and Tita had gotten hurt in the scuffle, Erika would have invented a rocket just so she could tie Agate to its hull before launching it into space. He'd survive of course, somehow, but it wouldn't be pleasant.

Speaking of Tita, she's really been coming into her own during the events of the 3rd. Not only has she become a reliable participant in battle but now she's de-escalating situations that Estelle of all people has trouble handling. The little tag-along we saved from her own recklessness back in the Kaldia Tunnel has come a long way.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AradoBalanga posted:

I can't wait for CS3, if nothing else for Class 7's reaction to the inevitable scene(s) where Olivier trolls Agate.

quote:

Also, Anelace. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is it possible to have two giant robots out on the field now?

...and did you have to actually fight Ghost Pater-Mater to get that crystal, or just scoop it up from the even gaze of the giant robot?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The latter. You can return to that place with Renne in tow after she joins and it'll still be there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

go fish

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Well, that's there.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
This and the Zin Star Door are probably the biggest teases for the Calvard arc that's coming after Cold Steel III. Having read Gambler Jack while playing SC, seeing Halle and Jack in "real life" was a nice treat.

Omobono posted:

I can't wait for CS3, if nothing else for Class 7's reaction to the inevitable scene(s) where Olivier trolls Agate.

I'd be equally happy with Alfin trolling Agate in Olivier's place after taking one look at him and Tita and Agate thinking "Oh crap, there's two of 'em now."

Erpy fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 24, 2017

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I had some trouble winning blackjack against Halle but won poker on my first time. I think it's a lot harder to lose at poker but it also takes longer to win.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
At some point, I should go back and actually read Gambler Jack.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I suppose if this is a place made out of people's wishes, it makes sense to stumble into somebody's... Gambler Jack fanfiction?

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Outside of Josette's shooting gallery, none of the other sun doors have much significance to them anyways, so yeah for the most part this door just... exists.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The main strategy in Black Jack against an AI opponent is 'know when to stop taking cards you greedy idiot.' A 16/17 on an opening hand sucks but if you land there after taking up a card or two... Assuming you're taking turns on drawing which doesn't seem to be the case here.
18+ though you're pretty safe on holding off and letting the opponent test their luck against the 16/17 doldrums. That's usually how I win: not so much by having great numbers but by the dealer going bust.

The poker however is really set up in your favor being a 3 card river and a 3 card hand. I usually try going for full houses in normal 5-card draw but pairs are typically your breadwinners in stud and river setups, two pair is pretty easy to get and rather strong to boot.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

RegalStar posted:

Outside of Josette's shooting gallery, none of the other sun doors have much significance to them anyways, so yeah for the most part this door just... exists.

Sun Doors 2 and 3 are pretty relevant, I'd say. Sun Door 2 is more Estelle fishing development, which is a thread that started in FC. Sun Door 3 is another tournament, which SC was sorely lacking.

That said, I agree that apart from Jack being in the novel, this door is super irrelevant.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
What I meant is plot and setting relevance. Estelle fishing doesn't really reveal anything that we don't already know, and Sun Door #3 is very obviously "this is just here for fun". So I believe this door is mostly just there for a pair of cards related minigames, rather than something that's going to be important in the series as a whole.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's there to give you a taste of two characters set up previously but not shown, who will be very important when we actually get to the Calvard arc.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wait the spider mama's appearance is tied to a particular spider? I thought it just kinda showed up when you killed any one of them.

Wish I knew that. :suicide:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PLOT TIME

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Finally jeez. Took you long enough to show up Cass- DANGIT CASSIUS YOU MANAGED TO SLIP OUT OF OUR PARTY YET AGAIN! :argh:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Don't get your knickers in a twist, there's an empty slot on the roster page. One day the true might of Dapper Dad will be ours.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

This was a really cool moment for me. Sometimes it's nice being able to play a game without analyzing the hell out of the plot. :allears:

vdate posted:

Don't get your knickers in a twist, there's an empty slot on the roster page. One day the true might of Dapper Dad will be ours.

You mean we don't get Kevin back? :ohdear:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

You mean we don't get Kevin back? :ohdear:

Kevin is the Dapper Father, not the Dapper Dad.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

OddObserver posted:

Kevin is the Dapper Father, not the Dapper Dad.

Right - but there's only one party slot left, which is Kevin's.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I'll admit, I did forget about that. It'd be an interesting twist if nope, Ries was actually the main character, but I don't think the narrative's been set up for it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

vdate posted:

I'll admit, I did forget about that. It'd be an interesting twist if nope, Ries was actually the main character, but I don't think the narrative's been set up for it.

If she turned out to be they'd have a huge hole to dig themselves out of at this point because so far her backstory seems to be infinitely less interesting than Kevin's, and this game seems to be 99% backstory.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

If she turned out to be they'd have a huge hole to dig themselves out of at this point because so far her backstory seems to be infinitely less interesting than Kevin's, and this game seems to be 99% backstory.

Ries's backstory is basically an MST3K of Kevin's backstory

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Man, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was such a good game. That's the same basic problem the people of Liber Ark came up against, right?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kinda-sorta. FFTA's wish fulfillment problem is more about personal acceptance and escapism.

Here the wish fulfillment is more in the vein of 'what is life if everything you want is just given to you leaving nothing left to strive for?'

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
So, what are the odds that everyone here, except for Kevin, and maybe Ries, (and Gilbert?) are just as illusionary as the rest of Phantasma?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You are not actually reading this LP right now.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

FrantzX posted:

So, what are the odds that everyone here, except for Kevin, and maybe Ries, (and Gilbert?) are just as illusionary as the rest of Phantasma?

Turns out this is all just Gilbert's A Christmas Carol.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Cryohazard posted:

So who would be the ghosts of past, present, and future respectively then?

Just kidding, we all know it's Campanella. As all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cryohazard posted:

HERE LIES GILBERT

HE NEVER SCORED

• Locked thread